National Forum

Trouble at the All-Ireland club JFC semi

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

At long last common sense and sensible and responsible journalism is starting to kick in and the blinkers are finally coming off. Joe Brolly, Colm O'Rourke, Billy Keane, Martin Breheny and Eamon Sweeney have brought some reality back to this entire episode and that is all Derrytesk and Ulster GAA people were asking for. This was NOT World War III, as some of these journalists have said, and by a long chalk was NOT the worst trouble that the GAA has ever seen. That is not to excuse what happened but some sensible heads have realised that the anti-Northern hatred and bile was getting out of hand and have condemned it. There have been examples given of really serious club violence on the pitch and Kerry's name was mentioned a few times as one of the counties involved; the facts and figures don't lie and the hypocrisy and double standards, especially from Kerry, has been exposed. As one prominant Irish journalist said "It wasn't that long ago that Kerry were complaining about trial by media regarding Paul Galvin, now they want to expose another team to it" Enough said, last week was a dark period for the GAA and some should reflect on that. Things were said and done that caused offence and angered many genuine Gaels especially Ulster people who have gone through a lot to keep Gaelic games alive; that is not to say that Northern people cannot over react either and say some offensive things. Maybe we all start to try and understand each other a bit better instead of pointing fingers and blaming others all the time. The GAA is a great organisation with great people; let's keep it that way.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9696 - 29/01/2012 21:22:56    1102343

Link

Ulsterman, it was one club in Kerry who called for Derrytresk to be thrown out, it was not an action by our county board. It was a childish demand and stank to high-heaven of sour grapes on Dromid's part, and one which I did not support and if I'm honest, it actually embarrassed me as a Kerryman. Derrytresk won the game and it seems deservedly so. Let's learn from it and move on. The media were to blame for alot of the aftermath but they don't answer to anybody, so it could happen again in the future unfortunately.

Cute_Kerry_Hoor (Kerry) - Posts: 2518 - 29/01/2012 21:47:51    1102360

Link

As there are a huge amount of posts on this thread I am not sure if anyone has shown this link.....this is what a real brawl is. Ok i know its hurling but still G.A.A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRZVJQX1KT0

Definitely a whole lot of over-reaction to the Derrytresk/Dromid match. I have seen worse in Junior games to be honest.

grandagrokepoke (Down) - Posts: 347 - 30/01/2012 09:41:21    1102392

Link

Good article by Billy Keane in saturday's independent. I think this tread should finally be closed. Plan for the weekend is to go up to Dublin early, the wife can putter around the shops, i'll go for a few slow pints while mulling over the newspaper, nice meal with the wife and head to croker for Tyrone v Kildare and Kerry v Dublin. A few more shampoos after the match with some Dublin based Kerrymen and their friends. The good wife got me the season pass so looking forward to mingling with Dublin, Cork, Tyrone and whoever else I meet throughout the year.

DanBreen (Kerry) - Posts: 73 - 30/01/2012 11:46:24    1102440

Link

I think Billy Keane summed it up.Nobody heard of Derrytresk until this week,in fact there are people in Derrytresk who never heard of it also. Lets leave the episode lie and stop the bickering.

No one heard of Dromid either but we have now and for all the wrong reasons.

Not sure about the comments that all from the North jumped to the defence of Derrytresk as I certainly stated what their subs did was completely wrong and should be dealt with and dealt with severly.
Had to laugh at comments in yesterdays Irish Mail; lazy and factually incorrect journalism at its worst, sums the reporting and the D4 media up.

bigtomsbreeks (Down) - Posts: 130 - 30/01/2012 11:53:41    1102446

Link

30/01/2012 11:53:41
bigtomsbreeks
County: Down

1102446 I think Billy Keane summed it up.Nobody heard of Derrytresk until this week,in fact there are people in Derrytresk who never heard of it also. Lets leave the episode lie and stop the bickering.

No one heard of Dromid either but we have now and for all the wrong reasons.

Not sure about the comments that all from the North jumped to the defence of Derrytresk as I certainly stated what their subs did was completely wrong and should be dealt with and dealt with severly.
Had to laugh at comments in yesterdays Irish Mail; lazy and factually incorrect journalism at its worst, sums the reporting and the D4 media up.

TBF you cant say accuse the daily mail of being part of the "d4 media" as its an english newpaper and all that.....

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 30/01/2012 13:12:20    1102495

Link

ormondbannerman

"TBF you cant say accuse the daily mail of being part of the "d4 media" as its an english newpaper and all that....."

There's a difference?

rath_togh (Meath) - Posts: 740 - 30/01/2012 15:21:55    1102599

Link

I see no thread up about the ref in dublin head butted after sending the player off on friday in schools game ..

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15069 - 30/01/2012 17:25:57    1102669

Link

The silence is deafing on this matter above the 26 ignore there incidents but highlight ulster.

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15069 - 30/01/2012 18:10:42    1102687

Link

After the rush to push out their case without any sign of balance along with their demands that the other side be punished from people associated with Dromid it is virtually impossible for Derrytresk to get a fair hearing. That is not acceptable in an Association if that term has any meaning worth holding onto. This is sad.I believe CCCC should make a statement after this incident is dealt with saying that in such circumstances no club or club member is allowed to issue a statement verbally in writing or video/images if they want CCCC to deal with the case. This is of course very hard to police but worth it to stop this sort of trial by media which is so destructive of the Association and relationships within it and encourages the usual zoo media ply their irresponsible trade. Many of the intertwined illogical arguments on this thread are just boring too. It is all getting a bit bizarre but I am sure a couple of cyber anthropologists will get good doctorates out of it all eventually.

cjx (Tyrone) - Posts: 270 - 30/01/2012 19:39:54    1102735

Link

Nobody denies that these incidents happen up and down the country.The belief however is that they are disproportianately common in Tyrone.(That point has been made about twenty times by now Dellboy).

TheRoad (Galway) - Posts: 1339 - 30/01/2012 19:49:19    1102740

Link

last friday my school played in the under 18 limerick hurling county final,8 minutes to go a brawl breaks out i mean the worst gaa fight i have ever seen or being involved in,the other schools manager and parents attaked our players,it was a free for all ,ever one and anyone at the game was involved,hurleys were being used at every chance, the match was abanded,4 players were hospitalized,2 with broken hands and two others split open,3 players were sent off,they expect us to replay this in a pitch like the gaelic grounds were supporters or parents cant access the field but do the gaa not realise that holy war will break loose between the players when this match is replayed,the referee was bye himself for the first match and for the reply they think by having linesmen and 4 umpires nothing will happen,are they really so stupid. what could be done to stop these inncidents from constantly accuring in the gaa?

Limerick93 (Limerick) - Posts: 60 - 30/01/2012 21:08:46    1102802

Link

Anyone who has ever watched Wicklow Senior Championship and League football will tell you it's amongst the dirtiest on the island while Munster and Leinster club hurling can be quite filthy too so stop this nonsense that this is primarily an Ulster thing; that is just factually and statistically untrue. Those who pointed the finger North should be ashamed of themselves and that is what angered Ulster Gaels so much. Joe Brolly said at the weekend that it was "a witch hunt against Northern clubs" as he laid out a long list of trouble and violence in other provinces while SOME responsible and honest Southern sports journalists also said the coverage and fallout was biased against Ulster sides. This is an ALL island problem, and has to dealt with, and anyone who says otherwise doesn't watch or play the games.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9696 - 30/01/2012 21:23:04    1102817

Link

Limerick93
County: Limerick

Is that true? I didn't see anything in the media and can't find a report online.

kickpass (Down) - Posts: 208 - 30/01/2012 21:28:32    1102824

Link

Ulsterman,enough posters on here have said it happens in all corners of ireland, if some journalists report it showing biased against ulster teams then thats their ignorance. you are showing the same ignorance by slating wicklow football ,leinster and munster. if someone said the same about any team from ulster you would be coming on spitting blood. Im irish so enough of this 26 county crap. when someone asks where im from i dont say southern ireland

AthCliath (Dublin) - Posts: 4347 - 30/01/2012 21:53:32    1102842

Link

Kingpass

ya it is i play with the school that was involved,there was only a local paper there so i doubt there would be a report on it,there was a member of the county board there with the cup but they will only turn a blind eye to it as they dont want to get a bad reputation,thats no way to treat it,players got seriously injured on both sides and if the county board let the replay go ahead far worse fighting and injuries will happen especially in winter hurling games

Limerick93 (Limerick) - Posts: 60 - 31/01/2012 17:12:33    1103139

Link

grandagrokepoke
Pretty savage clip you posted there, again where are the cops? I mean we as in "we" tolerate this crap. A player is by stepping onto the field accepting that he may be the recipient of a heavy challenge even an off the ball challenge he has to accept that this is a possibility. But that does not cover an eye gouge, or a violent assault with a hurley or a travelling baying mob.

As for the other poster with the game in Limerick if a teacher got involved with a fracas he'd be jeopardising his job, again simply report him, people in this country allow such awful crap to happen and then excuse it. One thing you can say about French or English police they certainly do apply the law of the land. And thats what needs to be done here.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4895 - 31/01/2012 19:33:17    1103232

Link

A number of very serious assaults took place, therefore the state authorities are obliged to take action against all the assailants.

The GAA are also obliged to issue bans to any player involved in assaulting another player.

It's also time that decent law abiding adult supporters and children can follow the GAA for not providing them with a fully safe environment.

The GAA have a duty of care to all it's supporters, therefore it's imperative they act to safeguard it's patrons, they've stopped pitch invasions in Croke Park to prevent patrons and players getting injured, or so they say, but yet they're doing nothing to protect people from being injured either mentally or physically at other GAA venues as a result of mass brawls.

squidword (Louth) - Posts: 2897 - 31/01/2012 20:08:12    1103260

Link

The match i was at where spectators and players of two clubs got involved was because their club man was doing the line and giving them everything, the opposition ran over and gave him a few thumps and then all hell broke loose.(its a big problem lack of neutral linesmen and umpires) this was a senior match and one team has an offical on the county board, if you werent there you would never have heard about it thats how quiet it was kept. this is going on the length and breath of the country and county boards members dont want to sanction their own clubs so it is brushed under the carpet. this is the root of the problem ,maybe something good might come out of the derrytresk,dromid after all because of all the debate.

AthCliath (Dublin) - Posts: 4347 - 31/01/2012 20:26:44    1103271

Link

TheRoad: have you ever in your entire life gone to a club hurling match in Galway. Pot-Kettle-black:
My problem is not that there is too many fights in Galway club games, it's that somehow we can't get the same fight into the county team.

onlyhurling (Galway) - Posts: 800 - 31/01/2012 20:53:31    1103294

Link