National Forum

David Clifford to surpass the Gooch?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheHermit:  "No chance of that, Croke Park and the State itself will ensure the Dublin machine will keep on winning.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/sporting-grants-breakdown-show-massive-weighting-towards-dublin-gaa-clubs-378685?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=ballsdotie&utm_content=Sporting%20Grants%20Breakdown%20Show%20Massive%20Weighting%20Towards%20Dublin%20GAA%20Clubs"
Great news for the clubs involved, its interesting the quality of the application counts for a lot in the allocation for funding, its good news for those Dublin clubs who clearly put time and effort into their proposals. It begs the question why other clubs haven't. We often hear on here of tales of woe, but when a pathway is there to get funding and the quality of the application is a telling factor you would wonder why other clubs dont seem to have put time and effort into it. Dublin GAA from an administration and games development perspective really do have their house in order, its great for the county.

Did anyone watch the documentary on the Dublin ladies in the week, i was struck by how the Dublin County secretary took the the woman's kits home and washed them her self. Sure we are tripping over billions up here.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 01/12/2017 11:46:17    2064203

Link

Kerry to win 7/8 AIs in Cliffords timespan with Kerry? If we get 1 then we can think of a 2nd...
Now now lads....wining an AI at underage is one thing but to win at senior level is another thing.
Kerry have won 4 minors in a row
Not 1 from the first 2 minor teams has made the step up to senior level yet.
Kililan Spillane the star of the first minor team does not look like he will be the superstar we hoped. he may become a decent forward for Kerry in time but just remember all the hyperbole over him to get called into the kerry team straight after minor?!!!

the Dubs are a steaming train at the moment and the best roadblock in place for them is Mayo, def not Kerry.

We will be in with a shout of winning all irelands every year but we are well off the physicality and cop on to match the Dubs year on year at the moment.

If Clifford manages 12 years playing senior with Kerry I think he will count himself lucky to come away with 3 medals.

woops (Kerry) - Posts: 2073 - 01/12/2017 12:23:38    2064208

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "So it's like the GAA are feeding the dubs fillets of steak while the rest of the counties have to go to the soup kitchen.

The GAA are going to feck up the Gaelic football and hurling eco systems by driving money in to the dubs it's probably already too late."
Let them eat cake, Kingdomboy!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 01/12/2017 12:25:57    2064209

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "So it's like the GAA are feeding the dubs fillets of steak while the rest of the counties have to go to the soup kitchen.

The GAA are going to feck up the Gaelic football and hurling eco systems by driving money in to the dubs it's probably already too late."
It's not just the GAA, sure you only have to look at the latest Sports Capital Grants that were announced this week for more of this sort of thing.

Nothing too out of the ordinary with the individual grants to sports clubs and bodies around the country (a few politicians have done the usual to help out their friends).

But interestingly there was only 1 single grant made in the 'Other Sports Capital Programme Allocations' normally referred to as a special grant.

No prizes for guessing who it was for...

Other Sports Capital Programme Allocations 2017

Another couple of million that could have been better spent elsewhere no doubt...

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3685 - 01/12/2017 12:42:57    2064212

Link

Clifford/Spillane partnership will better Gooch/Declan Sullivan. This lads will perform against northern teams on the big day

BartMcQueen (Cork) - Posts: 196 - 01/12/2017 12:48:52    2064213

Link

Replying To if_in_doubt:  "It's not just the GAA, sure you only have to look at the latest Sports Capital Grants that were announced this week for more of this sort of thing.

Nothing too out of the ordinary with the individual grants to sports clubs and bodies around the country (a few politicians have done the usual to help out their friends).

But interestingly there was only 1 single grant made in the 'Other Sports Capital Programme Allocations' normally referred to as a special grant.

Another couple of million that could have been better spent elsewhere no doubt..."
Wow, 7.5 million given to Kerry, That's on top of the 2 million they received from the GAA and another million from Kerry Group, let them eat cake indeed.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 01/12/2017 12:51:33    2064214

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "
Replying To if_in_doubt:  "It's not just the GAA, sure you only have to look at the latest Sports Capital Grants that were announced this week for more of this sort of thing.

Another couple of million that could have been better spent elsewhere no doubt..."
Wow, 7.5 million given to Kerry, That's on top of the 2 million they received from the GAA and another million from Kerry Group, let them eat cake indeed."
Ssssh though, it's only you guys that are supposed to be getting this sort of funding...

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3685 - 01/12/2017 12:54:46    2064215

Link

Replying To BartMcQueen:  "Clifford/Spillane partnership will better Gooch/Declan Sullivan. This lads will perform against northern teams on the big day"
Yerra sure what did Gooch and Dec ever do against the big bad Ulster men, they defo weren't playing against Armagh in 2006, or Tyrone in 2012, or 2015 or Donegal in 2014 or all those times against Monaghan, Antrim, Derry.

Stick to the hurling boss

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 01/12/2017 12:59:54    2064216

Link

Replying To if_in_doubt:  "
Replying To TheUsername:  "[quote=if_in_doubt:  "It's not just the GAA, sure you only have to look at the latest Sports Capital Grants that were announced this week for more of this sort of thing.

Wow, 7.5 million given to Kerry, That's on top of the 2 million they received from the GAA and another million from Kerry Group, let them eat cake indeed."
Ssssh though, it's only you guys that are supposed to be getting this sort of funding..."]I have a feeling we will be alright, i would however be asking big questions if i was from Mayo, Kildare, Meath, Donegal, Cork, Galway or Down.

Its not just about Dublin and Kerry. I have long held the opinion Kerry are over funded in comparison to other GAA counties of a similar or bigger make up, who have a greater dual county tradition, what ever defense Dublin have given its population (i would also accept we are marginally over funded).

It seems the GAA and other funding bodies are intent of financially doping Kerry, and investing in the Dubllin Vs Kerry box office.

Its no skin of my nose being a Dub, as we will be ok, but the counties i mention above i think should have some justifiable questions.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 01/12/2017 13:14:14    2064218

Link

Replying To if_in_doubt:  "[quote=TheUsername:  "[quote=if_in_doubt:  "It's not just the GAA, sure you only have to look at the latest Sports Capital Grants that were announced this week for more of this sort of thing.

Ssssh though, it's only you guys that are supposed to be getting this sort of funding..."]I have a feeling we will be alright, i would however be asking big questions if i was from Mayo, Kildare, Meath, Donegal, Cork, Galway or Down.

Its not just about Dublin and Kerry. I have long held the opinion Kerry are over funded in comparison to other GAA counties of a similar or bigger make up, who have a greater dual county tradition, what ever defense Dublin have given its population (i would also accept we are marginally over funded).

It seems the GAA and other funding bodies are intent of financially doping Kerry, and investing in the Dubllin Vs Kerry box office.

Its no skin of my nose being a Dub, as we will be ok, but the counties i mention above i think should have some justifiable questions."]Jesus wept another of the flat Earthers :D

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 01/12/2017 14:20:44    2064224

Link

Replying To if_in_doubt:  "[quote=TheUsername:  "[quote=if_in_doubt:  "It's not just the GAA, sure you only have to look at the latest Sports Capital Grants that were announced this week for more of this sort of thing.

Its no skin of my nose being a Dub, as we will be ok, but the counties i mention above i think should have some justifiable questions."]Well a number of Kildare clubs benefitted from the sports capital grants at least - mostly covering pitch developments and upgrades and floodlights by the looks of it so that wasn't too bad.

There's also been a commitment from the GAA / Leinster council to increase the funding available to Kildare, Meath, Louth and Wicklow for games development as well so that's a big step forward too.

Stuff like that doesn't attract the same sort of headlines though it seems.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3685 - 01/12/2017 14:33:53    2064225

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "
Replying To TheUsername:  "[quote=if_in_doubt:  "[quote=TheUsername:  "[quote=if_in_doubt:  "It's not just the GAA, sure you only have to look at the latest Sports Capital Grants that were announced this week for more of this sort of thing.

Its no skin of my nose being a Dub, as we will be ok, but the counties i mention above i think should have some justifiable questions."]Jesus wept another of the flat Earthers :D"]Cough is gone very soft there mate, you might want something to wash down all that cake. :D

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 01/12/2017 15:35:08    2064230

Link

Replying To if_in_doubt:  "
Replying To TheUsername:  "[quote=if_in_doubt:  "[quote=TheUsername:  "[quote=if_in_doubt:  "It's not just the GAA, sure you only have to look at the latest Sports Capital Grants that were announced this week for more of this sort of thing.

Its no skin of my nose being a Dub, as we will be ok, but the counties i mention above i think should have some justifiable questions."]Well a number of Kildare clubs benefitted from the sports capital grants at least - mostly covering pitch developments and upgrades and floodlights by the looks of it so that wasn't too bad.

There's also been a commitment from the GAA / Leinster council to increase the funding available to Kildare, Meath, Louth and Wicklow for games development as well so that's a big step forward too.

Stuff like that doesn't attract the same sort of headlines though it seems."]I saw that mate and its great for Kildare, Meath, Louth and Wicklow. A competitive Leinster is good for everyone, i thought Kildare had a terrific team last year they were massively competitive in the Leinster final, very easy on the eye and hope they push on again next year and do better in the knockout stages and make the super 8's and beyond.

I actually might put a few quid on them to beat Dublin in the league opener.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 01/12/2017 15:40:10    2064231

Link

Replying To BartMcQueen:  "Clifford/Spillane partnership will better Gooch/Declan Sullivan. This lads will perform against northern teams on the big day"
Imagine what they'll do to Cork

Superglue (Kerry) - Posts: 1283 - 01/12/2017 16:42:32    2064234

Link

7 or 8 guaranteed alright I'd say.
We're on the way down now so it'll be up to Kerry and Mayo for the next few years for sure and maybe a couple of challengers from time to time.
Donaghy hanging around like a bad smell for the medal next year also I see.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2312 - 01/12/2017 19:19:20    2064243

Link

Replying To Dubh_linn:  "7 or 8 guaranteed alright I'd say.
We're on the way down now so it'll be up to Kerry and Mayo for the next few years for sure and maybe a couple of challengers from time to time.
Donaghy hanging around like a bad smell for the medal next year also I see."
Ya the same as brogan and McCauley.
Bad smells all round.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 01/12/2017 21:16:28    2064249

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya the same as brogan and McCauley.
Bad smells all round."
Ah no, those guys will not be allowed to hang around like EF permits. Sure he might even retire and be allowed back if he's bored in a year or two.
Sure it's great though. Keep up the good work.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2312 - 01/12/2017 23:02:31    2064254

Link

Cooper had serious players around him, only time will tell whether Clifford is as fortunate.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8589 - 03/12/2017 03:33:06    2064292

Link

Cliff togging for league. A sure bet for young player of year

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/279292

BartMcQueen (Cork) - Posts: 196 - 19/12/2017 09:03:45    2065566

Link

Replying To BartMcQueen:  "Cliff togging for league. A sure bet for young player of year

Yerra." target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/279292"
Yerra.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 19/12/2017 14:41:58    2065607

Link