National Forum

As AI football finals go..

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

As good a performance as I ever seen by a losing team in a all Ireland final to be honest makes u wonder what mayo have to do to get over the finishing line

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1764 - 11/10/2017 14:37:55    2054689

Link

Replying To HuddHastings:  "As a neutral is was brilliant, one of the best finals ever, enthralling from first minute to last, had brilliant scores, goals, controversy, hard hits, loads of sub plots, brilliant matchups, unreal athleticism and a dramatic finish.

...but as usual, such is the negative way of the Irish media and sports fans the weeks following the game seemed to focus primarily on controversy, cynicism and childish bickering.

Negativity gets clicks and sells newspapers so instead of talking about the brilliant efforts of guys like McCarthy, Moran and Connolly we are focusing on attention seeking loudmouths like Paul Kimmage, Joe Brolly, David Brady etc"
You're spot on

It was a classic final

Had everything - two of the best teams of all time on display playing the sport at a time when it's never been played better.

That Mayo side would have had at least 2-3 AI's this decade of it wasn't for Dublin and would be considered right up there with the best teams.

It was a dual for the ages and the best final I've ever seen live.

It tops 2011 for me as a spectacle - Mayo played better than Kerry did in 2011

For Dublin to have won such a final really does put them up there with the greats and to cap it off.. claim a 3 in a row under such circumstances!

It's the stuff I used to daydream about witnessing one day as a Dubs fan

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 11/10/2017 17:20:54    2054742

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "As good a performance as I ever seen by a losing team in a all Ireland final to be honest makes u wonder what mayo have to do to get over the finishing line"
Mayo need to find the killer instinct that comes so naturally to Kerry or Kilkenny hurlers.The hand of history clearly weighs on this team.They lost all three Finals to the Dubs by a point.They could have won all or any of the three but with the Finish line in sight, they can't get over it.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 2162 - 11/10/2017 17:51:29    2054745

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "As good a performance as I ever seen by a losing team in a all Ireland final to be honest makes u wonder what mayo have to do to get over the finishing line"
outscore the opponent when the final whistle is blown by the ref. Until then, as brilliant and as heroic they are in defeat, they clearly won't have been good enough to win it.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 11/10/2017 19:18:34    2054763

Link