National Forum

The 4 in a row

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Hard to argue with any of that jimbo. Gavin is such an astute manager I can't see him letting complacency become an issue. He has created an extremely competitive environment but also a very harmonious one. There was no animosity last year for example from the likes of Brogan, McManamon, Flynn etc when they weren't automatic starters. They simply came in when needed and delivered. Absolutely fantastic management really when you think about it.

The only thing I can think of that could disrupt Dublin is if the above scenario isn't the case in 2018. Some of the senior players watching Father Time may become disgruntled at not getting adequate game time in what may be their last year. That could have a knock on effect in dressing room harmony. Most likely wishful thinking on my part because Gavin seems to have such a good handle on things.

Mayo being Mayo will be in the mix again for sure. I'd also be wary of Kerry. They're proud football men in the Kingdom and they won't want to see a repeat of what transpired against Mayo in 2017. Other than those two I can't see anyone else realistically challenging Dublin. Tyrone need a tactical rethink and I don't think they have the players to play a more expansive game. I might be wrong, but unless Mickey Harte changes tack completely I don't see how they can trouble Dublin.

Then there's a group of teams such as ourselves, Galway, Monaghan, Cork, Roscommon, Kildare, Meath etc who are all capable of beating each other but are a way off where Dublin are at currently.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9108 - 19/10/2017 11:43:53    2056183

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Dublin have won 4 of their last 5 All-Ireland's by one point.That has to be knowing how to win and killer instinct rather than luck."
Spot on. In this year's final we were on a par, maybe slightly ahead in some categories but well beaten in the closing out the game category, doing what it takes to be ahead at the end. Unfortunately for us it's a fairly important category!

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 19/10/2017 12:23:44    2056193

Link

Was flicking through Facebook the other night for my daily nosey to see what what was going on in the world beyond Brexit, Trump, Weinstein and North Korea and, you know the way now that all videos just seem to start playing when you flick through and normally I just flick on (or if could be really holed I actually hit the mute on them so at least I don't hear them), but this one kinda grabbed my attention.

It was in America and one of these life coach/lesson or whatever guys was in a college park and had a $100 bill in his hand. He got everyone there to line up in a straight line and told them it was going to be a race and whoever won the race would get the money. But, before the race started he was going to ask a number of questions and if you answered yes or No (depending on the 'right' answer to the question) then you took a number of steps forward or stayed where you were. The questions were like, did you have a private tutor, did your parents pay for your college fees, had you a childminder, are you at this college under a sports scholarship, were you entitled to free school meals or fee support etc etc and no surprise by the end of the questions and just before the race was to start, it was all the white kids who were at varying stages towards the finishing line and all the black/hispanic etc who hadn't moved from the line or maybe had moved one or two steps.

At this point he explained - he said that every question he asked were questions on things which have had an big influence on how far they get in life but were all things that the people lined up themselves had no control over nor necessarily asked for - a head start if you like. He told them that those at the back were every bit the equal as people as those further ahead and that if life was genuinely equal that he had no doubt it would be one of the black people there who he would have been handing the money to but due to privilege it was likely not going to be them getting it.

I suppose I seen this as a bit like the GAA - we have Counties who are always going to have advantages over others and, like above, the Counties didn't necessarily ask for or need the advantages but, due to how things are they got them. Advantages which give them that head start in the race for the ultimate prize. And like above, because the rest of the Counties aren't lifting trophies or in most cases getting anywhere near them it doesn't mean that the effort they are putting in or the passion for that race to Sam isn't any less. The guy said to those at the back before the race, that they shouldn't see the gap before the start and give up nor look with anger at those ahead. But he also turned to those at the front and told them to look at the head start they have been given and think about how it is due to this they have a greater change of success in life. To look at those people who are no different ability wise to them but just due to circumstances they ended up way behind and may never win the prize. I suppose to look on things with a bit more humanity.

And the moral of the story? I don't know but I guess with today's society it is probably along the lines of - grab any extra steps you can get, run like the clappers and make for the finish line. Making sure you dance in the face of every other competitor at the end.

This is the Gospel of the Nord

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 19/10/2017 13:04:56    2056205

Link

Replying To baire:  "4 in a row
5 in a row
6 in a row!
So what! What does that prove about any team? Each All Ireland medal is the same. Three in a row is enough for any team in my opinion. It takes a very good team to win an All Ireland, a great team to win two and an exceptional team to win three. After that it's not sport, it's all about showmanship, pride, arrogance, breaking records and breaking opponents etc. To me that's not sport or sporting behaviour. It means that one particular team or county is denying others any chance of winning 'just once' and is crushing their dreams. After winning three in a row that team should be obliged to take a break for at least a year! Enjoy life, get to know their partners and help other teams not as fortunate. I know this won't happen in a western world where all the kudos go to those on top of the dung heap!"
[url=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h89S_px-JM0

My response to this post are the same words uttered from Pat Spillane from 0:22 to 0:26 in this video.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 19/10/2017 13:41:47    2056212

Link

Replying To baire:  "4 in a row
5 in a row
6 in a row!
So what! What does that prove about any team? Each All Ireland medal is the same. Three in a row is enough for any team in my opinion. It takes a very good team to win an All Ireland, a great team to win two and an exceptional team to win three. After that it's not sport, it's all about showmanship, pride, arrogance, breaking records and breaking opponents etc. To me that's not sport or sporting behaviour. It means that one particular team or county is denying others any chance of winning 'just once' and is crushing their dreams. After winning three in a row that team should be obliged to take a break for at least a year! Enjoy life, get to know their partners and help other teams not as fortunate. I know this won't happen in a western world where all the kudos go to those on top of the dung heap!"
Simply the biggest piece of horseshi7 in a long time , you are soft in the spine and the head
Champions should lose their crown on the field
Would you have rested have rested Usain Bolt ,Roger Federer , Kilkenny , The All Blacks , Stephen Hendry Ronnie O Sullivan ETC
Your post is embarrassing , the reason we give fat kids a medal and tell them their a winner in the school games , truth is they are obese going to have health problems in the future and its a diet they require not to be spoon fed false accomplishment.
Have you ever played sport at any level I seriously doubt it and by the way the xbox doesn't count

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 19/10/2017 13:51:14    2056215

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "Simply the biggest piece of horseshi7 in a long time , you are soft in the spine and the head
Would you have rested have rested Usain Bolt ,Roger Federer , Kilkenny , The All Blacks , Stephen Hendry Ronnie O Sullivan ETC
Your post is embarrassing , the reason we give fat kids a medal and tell them their a winner in the school games , truth is they are obese going to have health problems in the future and its a diet they require not to be spoon fed false accomplishment.
Have you ever played sport at any level I seriously doubt it and by the way the xbox doesn't count"
Why am I not surprised by your knee jerk reaction and your tough keyboard talk! For the record I have county and a Connacht medals in gaelic football. However, it's not the medals that stand out in my mind but the spirit and camaraderie with team mates, the tough games, the joy of reading the game not to mention the skills. You're a tough man on your keyboard Damo but like all big mouths you'd be a dame on the pitch!

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 19/10/2017 14:23:16    2056229

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "Simply the biggest piece of horseshi7 in a long time , you are soft in the spine and the head
Have you ever played sport at any level I seriously doubt it and by the way the xbox doesn't count"
Im sure Dublin will win another 40 All Irelands. Given their advantages, what else should we expect? Who cares anyway. Nobody will be watching. Its time ye all realised that intercounty football is finished.

Crinigan (Meath) - Posts: 1316 - 19/10/2017 14:28:43    2056231

Link

Replying To baire:  "Why am I not surprised by your knee jerk reaction and your tough keyboard talk! For the record I have county and a Connacht medals in gaelic football. However, it's not the medals that stand out in my mind but the spirit and camaraderie with team mates, the tough games, the joy of reading the game not to mention the skills. You're a tough man on your keyboard Damo but like all big mouths you'd be a dame on the pitch!"
And you may very well be correct , I might even play Cinderella in a panto this xmass it still doesn't change the fact that you posted one of the most insane posts in a long time on here one with loser written all over it , you may have your medals and congratulations, I don't have championship medals I don't have Provincial titles I was limited as a player , but I had a spine and always wanted to play against the best even if that meant taking a hiding.
I'm a member of a club who will probably never win a championship, would I want one under the generosity of sprit campaign you'd have us believe in don't think so.
I'm sure your medals were won with the opposition taking to the pitch and not a year off.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 19/10/2017 15:30:27    2056250

Link

Why is it that Mayo are able to push Dublin to the absolute limit every time they play them in the championship, yet about half a dozen teams that would fancy their chances against Mayo simply roll over and play dead at the sight of a Dublin jersey? I am sick and tired of hearing people moan about Dublin's advantages with their population and finances. If Mayo can compete with them on a consistent basis, why can't others? As long as so-called top teams go out with an attitude like Tyrone had in their absolutely shameful and pathetic performance against the Dubs, then Dublin will continue to dominate for years to come.

Gaillimh_Abu (Galway) - Posts: 996 - 19/10/2017 16:12:37    2056261

Link

Replying To Crinigan:  "Im sure Dublin will win another 40 All Irelands. Given their advantages, what else should we expect? Who cares anyway. Nobody will be watching. Its time ye all realised that intercounty football is finished."
You obviously care , hence the post !

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 2837 - 19/10/2017 16:23:41    2056266

Link

Replying To Crinigan:  "Im sure Dublin will win another 40 All Irelands. Given their advantages, what else should we expect? Who cares anyway. Nobody will be watching. Its time ye all realised that intercounty football is finished."
All people in Meath or in general?

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 19/10/2017 16:35:10    2056271

Link

The geographical imbalances unfortunately are way bigger than the GAA. There's a strong political/economic angle to it. Anyone read the governments plan for development up to the year 2040? Yes it all sounds good in theory (projecting a population increase of one million by 2040, and restricting the population growth of Greater Dublin to just 250k of that one million) but we all know that's not going to happen. Like the regional growth hubs proposed by a previous govt, the "plan" (insofar as it is one) will fall by the wayside and Greater Dublin will continue to grow exponentially, out of kilter with the rest of the country. This has huge implications for the GAA especially with regard to intercounty competitiveness. Maybe the GAA will be forced to go back to its roots in the not too distant future and return to the beginning when All Ireland's were contested by clubs representing their counties

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1902 - 19/10/2017 16:47:21    2056275

Link

Replying To PoolSturgeon:  "The geographical imbalances unfortunately are way bigger than the GAA. There's a strong political/economic angle to it. Anyone read the governments plan for development up to the year 2040? Yes it all sounds good in theory (projecting a population increase of one million by 2040, and restricting the population growth of Greater Dublin to just 250k of that one million) but we all know that's not going to happen. Like the regional growth hubs proposed by a previous govt, the "plan" (insofar as it is one) will fall by the wayside and Greater Dublin will continue to grow exponentially, out of kilter with the rest of the country. This has huge implications for the GAA especially with regard to intercounty competitiveness. Maybe the GAA will be forced to go back to its roots in the not too distant future and return to the beginning when All Ireland's were contested by clubs representing their counties"
Been saying the same thing on here for a good while

I think you're spot on (but not sure about the club bit)

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20598 - 19/10/2017 16:57:38    2056278

Link

Saying Mayo compete consistently with Dublin is like saying Gatlin competed consistently with Bolt. And we know how that consistently worked out.....

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 19/10/2017 17:00:25    2056279

Link

Replying To Gaillimh_Abu:  "Why is it that Mayo are able to push Dublin to the absolute limit every time they play them in the championship, yet about half a dozen teams that would fancy their chances against Mayo simply roll over and play dead at the sight of a Dublin jersey? I am sick and tired of hearing people moan about Dublin's advantages with their population and finances. If Mayo can compete with them on a consistent basis, why can't others? As long as so-called top teams go out with an attitude like Tyrone had in their absolutely shameful and pathetic performance against the Dubs, then Dublin will continue to dominate for years to come."
To be fair to Mayo the sight of an All-Ireland or even a Dublin jersey will always give them extra bit of motivation, they deserve credit for certainly showing we can be beaten, they should have beaten us in the final, Kerry deserved their league victory over us, it can be done. The financial or population advantages didn't make O'Connor miss that free that hit the post, or won that free for Rock which won us the game. People will always have an excuse

Hill16Army (Dublin) - Posts: 88 - 19/10/2017 17:01:43    2056282

Link

Replying To Gaillimh_Abu:  "Why is it that Mayo are able to push Dublin to the absolute limit every time they play them in the championship, yet about half a dozen teams that would fancy their chances against Mayo simply roll over and play dead at the sight of a Dublin jersey? I am sick and tired of hearing people moan about Dublin's advantages with their population and finances. If Mayo can compete with them on a consistent basis, why can't others? As long as so-called top teams go out with an attitude like Tyrone had in their absolutely shameful and pathetic performance against the Dubs, then Dublin will continue to dominate for years to come."
Couldn't agree more , I don't enjoy paying my hard earned few bob in to watch a team roll over , and there are teams beaten coming down the tunnel , thankfully Mayo are not one of them while they have been ridiculed by many for not getting over the end line no one can say they were beaten before the ball is thrown in , that's the reason for a long time now Leinster has been as shi7 as it has been teams rolling over , at least Kildare showed a bit of a spark this year ,
Forget Dublin any team winning big games by one point is there for the taking , now going and doing it is another thing altogether to talking about it.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 19/10/2017 17:49:35    2056303

Link

Replying To Hill16Army:  "To be fair to Mayo the sight of an All-Ireland or even a Dublin jersey will always give them extra bit of motivation, they deserve credit for certainly showing we can be beaten, they should have beaten us in the final, Kerry deserved their league victory over us, it can be done. The financial or population advantages didn't make O'Connor miss that free that hit the post, or won that free for Rock which won us the game. People will always have an excuse"
Ah look, it goes deeper than that.

The population, geographical, or financial advantage (which, to be fair, you seem to agree exists) doesn't necessarily mean that Dublin can pit 15 better players on the pitch than Mayo.

In fact, I would suggest (based on their recent championship meetings) that the Mayo 15 have shown themselves to be slightly better than the Dublin 15. And it has been Dublin's bench that has seen them over the line (Bastick 2013, Costello 2016, Connolly/McMenamon 2017).

And that is where those advantages kick in. . .

Take Tom Parsons as an example.

Tom works in Dublin and has to travel to Castlebar and back 2 -3 times a week for training. He has had an excellent championship and will probably get an all star.
But. . .he has not been guaranteed a start over the past few seasons and has kept up this commitment - the travelling, getting out of work early, getting to bed at 1am etc.

How easy would it have been for Mayo to lose a player of Tom's calibre sue to the ever increasing demands of intercounty football?

How many players like Tom have they actually lost because if this??

Would Bernard Brogan be doing the same for a bit-part role like he had this year? Would McCauley, Flynn, McMenamon etc.?

In my opinion, it is that type of player that eventually decides enough is enough and it is far more likely to happen to someone not playing for Dublin.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5009 - 19/10/2017 18:07:41    2056310

Link

Croke park is a massive pitch so it would suit Mayos playing style compared to pitches in Connacht which are squeezed hence creating a dog fight
in local derbys.

Vishred (Mayo) - Posts: 303 - 19/10/2017 18:31:00    2056318

Link

Replying To Offside_Rule:  "Saying Mayo compete consistently with Dublin is like saying Gatlin competed consistently with Bolt. And we know how that consistently worked out....."
Mayo beat Dublin in 2012 and have drawn with them numerous times since then when Dublin have been at the height of their pomp.

Donegal beat a high flying AI favourite Dublin team in 2014.

Kerry should have and could have beaten Dublin over recent years but Dublin scarped over the line.

Your analogy is a poor one IMO

Teams have competed with and beaten Dublin and Mayo are a prime example of such a team.

Dubs have won their 5 AI's this decade the hard way and nothing has been easy about those wins.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20598 - 19/10/2017 18:48:31    2056321

Link

Replying To PoolSturgeon:  "The geographical imbalances unfortunately are way bigger than the GAA. There's a strong political/economic angle to it. Anyone read the governments plan for development up to the year 2040? Yes it all sounds good in theory (projecting a population increase of one million by 2040, and restricting the population growth of Greater Dublin to just 250k of that one million) but we all know that's not going to happen. Like the regional growth hubs proposed by a previous govt, the "plan" (insofar as it is one) will fall by the wayside and Greater Dublin will continue to grow exponentially, out of kilter with the rest of the country. This has huge implications for the GAA especially with regard to intercounty competitiveness. Maybe the GAA will be forced to go back to its roots in the not too distant future and return to the beginning when All Ireland's were contested by clubs representing their counties"
Why reference the 2040 plan then go on to contradict and disagree with it.

Odd.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 19/10/2017 21:17:31    2056359

Link