National Forum

Gooch on Tyrone

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "I'm surprised there isn't a thread on here about Gooch's testimonial. I see Pat Spillane has come out against it now as well, I think it's wrong too, lost a bit of respect for the Gooch now to be honest."
Yeah there was one which has just slipped off the top table with all the other fierce important discussions of Black Balls, Dead Balls and Alodaaul Balls....

http://www.hoganstand.com/Forum/MessagePage.aspx?TopicID=101963&Latest=1#Latest

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 09/10/2017 15:04:33    2054144

Link

I had great respect for many of the Kerry footballers down through the years, paudie o Shea, Jacko, Pat Spillane, bomber liston, maurice Fitz, o Shea Bros, and many more but I never had the same respect for Gooch. I think the others got great respect. The Gooch went missing on too many big days to gain the same level of respect. I am not in the least bit surprised that he's trying to cash in on it all. The others didn't. Says it all.

border Gael (Monaghan) - Posts: 894 - 09/10/2017 20:19:12    2054253

Link

Replying To Vishred:  "Like it or not its rough -house tactics by tyrone.
Most teams in the North knew they hadnt the footballing ability to oust kerry back then so they used rough tactics to gain the edge which worked.
Kodus to them ,
Youve got to do what you got to do in order to win."
Gtf outta here with that with that comment. Trying to to say that the Tyrone team of the noughties were lacking talent. We had great players and leaders that are now legends of the game. I won't name names as it's unnecessary. Their legacy is set in stone. They were winners and warriors and broke records and won us 3 all Ireland's and we're proud of every one of them.

seanie_boy (Tyrone) - Posts: 4235 - 09/10/2017 22:45:21    2054275

Link

Replying To seanie_boy:  "Gtf outta here with that with that comment. Trying to to say that the Tyrone team of the noughties were lacking talent. We had great players and leaders that are now legends of the game. I won't name names as it's unnecessary. Their legacy is set in stone. They were winners and warriors and broke records and won us 3 all Ireland's and we're proud of every one of them."
Tyrone beat Kerry on merit in the 2005 and 2008finals. They had great players. Well done to them.

thelongridge (Offaly) - Posts: 1735 - 10/10/2017 09:54:26    2054308

Link

Replying To border Gael:  "I had great respect for many of the Kerry footballers down through the years, paudie o Shea, Jacko, Pat Spillane, bomber liston, maurice Fitz, o Shea Bros, and many more but I never had the same respect for Gooch. I think the others got great respect. The Gooch went missing on too many big days to gain the same level of respect. I am not in the least bit surprised that he's trying to cash in on it all. The others didn't. Says it all."
29 likes. Stewards enquiry please.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12115 - 10/10/2017 10:54:02    2054331

Link

Replying To border Gael:  "I had great respect for many of the Kerry footballers down through the years, paudie o Shea, Jacko, Pat Spillane, bomber liston, maurice Fitz, o Shea Bros, and many more but I never had the same respect for Gooch. I think the others got great respect. The Gooch went missing on too many big days to gain the same level of respect. I am not in the least bit surprised that he's trying to cash in on it all. The others didn't. Says it all."
2002 AI Final 0-2
2004 AI Final 1-4 (Man of the Match)
2005 AI Final 0-5
2006 AI Final 1-2
2007 AI Final 1-5 (Man of the Match)
2008 AI Final 0-6
2009 AI Final 0-6
2011 AI Final 1-3
2015 AI Final 0-0

That's Gooch's scoring records from the biggest games of his inter-county career. I don't think anything else needs to be said to counter the bizarre 'gone missing' thesis that some people still cling to. By the looks of the thumbs up on the above post, its a thesis sadly ascribed to by many on here.

Just for context, here's Brenard Brogan's scoring record from his AI final appearances:

2011 AI Final 0-6
2013 AI Final 2-3
2015 AI Final 0-2
2016 AI Final (Replay) 0-1
2017 AI Final 0-0

No one ever claimed Brogan never turned up on the big day.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 10/10/2017 11:27:50    2054350

Link

Haven't read the thread but @ The Hermit thats a good post, and this myth about Gooch not performing in finals is downright bizarre, his record is there for all to see. Even without looking at his record no player in any sport can be brilliant in every single game. It is ludicrous to judge a players career on 1-2 games and then ignore the dozens of occasions when they are the best player on the pitch. No other player ever seems to be judged to the same standard and if you examine any inter county forwards career you will find games where they had an off day or were kept quiet.

That Tyrone team were really exceptional and had Kerry's number back then. I don't actually think there was anything between them in terms of playing talent but tactically Mickey Harte had the upper hand and Kerry were probably a bit naive, they never figured out how to beat the counter attacking football Tyrone played. Tyrone also played Kerry at very opportune times when they were incumbent champions in 2005, and in 2008 they were going for three in a row. Gooch did struggle at times in those games with double marking and lack of supply, but in 2005 he was flying until he sustained an eye injury early in the game that really threw him off. I don't see any great shame in that, and he still put up decent numbers in those games.

People will say what they want, and what suits their agenda but I think Colm and everybody in Kerry is proud of that Kerry team and what they did any time they reached Croke Park in September, That's all that really matters.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 2105 - 10/10/2017 12:53:18    2054377

Link

I find it very sad that this thread has more comments then the one marking his retirement, if i remember correctly at the time.

Wonderful player, probably one of the best ever and we were blessed to have lived through his playing time. The archetypal skillful technical player, when his strengths were deployed there was no one better.

Whatever your opinion on testimonials really it doesn't take away from the caliber of player he was, five all irelands is a load only a few will match so his record on the biggest days speaks for itself. Personally i wish him the best of luck with his outside interests away from the game. Frankly i like seeing a bit of money going the players way, they always give more then they receive.

Its often said on here the reaction to success and the digs that go with.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 10/10/2017 13:51:57    2054402

Link

Replying To seanie_boy:  "Gtf outta here with that with that comment. Trying to to say that the Tyrone team of the noughties were lacking talent. We had great players and leaders that are now legends of the game. I won't name names as it's unnecessary. Their legacy is set in stone. They were winners and warriors and broke records and won us 3 all Ireland's and we're proud of every one of them."
Agree crazy comment by Vishred - he never heard of canavan Oneill mulligan cavanagh Jordan McGinley Hughes et al - would grace most top teams of past few decades and a few of all time!!!

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 10/10/2017 20:32:16    2054514

Link