National Forum

Testimonials for individuals - in the GAA?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The only ones offended by this are the the fans who are clinging onto the long gone amateur status of the game.
The hypocrisy is staggering, we had an All Ireland semi final moved to Limerick to accommodate an American football game!
We had a pitch that was brutal for the leinster final this summer because it was only laid a week before to facilitate a concert.
You have club managers getting paid significant amounts and then you had rumoured county players getting money to play in NYC and join clubs in Dublin during the boom.
Lads are giving out over this? Get real.
Gooch gave us years of enjoyment I hope sincerely his testimonial is a great success.
Hon the Gooch

westkerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1250 - 09/10/2017 17:41:01    2054223

Link

If people are willing to part with their hard earned cash for something like this so be it, can't see one single merit in it but that is only my opinion. Good luck with it should start a great trend though.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4895 - 09/10/2017 21:33:26    2054262

Link

Replying To jobber:  "There are a lot of very good ex county footballers and hurlers around the country in a bad way mentally or physically.Why should Cooper good and all as he was Make a fortune whilst these men live in misery."
All those ex players are entitled and free to host their own testimonial. I wish them all the best. No one player is more deserving than another but if an ex Westmeath man can fill a banquet hall then he has my blessing

JamsieMac (Cavan) - Posts: 481 - 10/10/2017 01:59:41    2054286

Link

Replying To Laois76:  "Not even talking about Olympic level Gleebo. Go to your local triathlon club and see the hours that are put in by amateurs. All types of sports, martial arts, cross country runners who don't make national teams, amateur cyclists, Your top 10 800m/1500m runners in any county put as many hours in with core work, speed work.

I've seen county men at my local athletics club who couldn't keep up a speed night. They were unable to keep up with a lot of runners doing 8 to 10 800m with 60 second intervals. So county players aren't unique in their training."
How much revenue does your local athletic club bring in a year? Would they fill an 80,000 seater stadium on a Sunday afternoon? Would they have a million viewers on RTE? I doubt it, ridiculous comparison

JamsieMac (Cavan) - Posts: 481 - 10/10/2017 02:01:19    2054287

Link

It's just plain wrong.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2550 - 10/10/2017 08:44:16    2054299

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "I agree with you 100%, Gooch has been on radio ant tv now trying to promote his book and explain away/shrug off this testimonial controversy, promoting his book etc. I don't know the whole thing seems wrong,Ray Darcy is doing his usual brown nosing act on RTE radio with the Gooch at the minute."
Ray is a very insightful GAA person! I think this testimonial is wrong full stop, I now see Kerry GAA, and Dr. Crokes club, are beneficiaries along with the two charities.

thelongridge (Offaly) - Posts: 1735 - 10/10/2017 09:48:56    2054307

Link

I actually think the GAA should hold a testimonial event at the end of every season for all the retirees in that yearly period. in that way the players from Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Leitrim, Longford and Carlow etc will all be paid tribute to regardless of their level of success. this will straight up end the fear of testimonials like Coopers and go a long way to controlling the gap in elitism between the top and bottom teams. This little bit of appreciation is well deserved in all fairness by all those county players who spent years grafting for the GAA. Obviously players would have to reach a benchmark of sorts of lets say 10 consecutive years of service to their counties.

theweanling (Cavan) - Posts: 414 - 10/10/2017 10:39:10    2054321

Link

Replying To westkerry:  "The only ones offended by this are the the fans who are clinging onto the long gone amateur status of the game.
The hypocrisy is staggering, we had an All Ireland semi final moved to Limerick to accommodate an American football game!
We had a pitch that was brutal for the leinster final this summer because it was only laid a week before to facilitate a concert.
You have club managers getting paid significant amounts and then you had rumoured county players getting money to play in NYC and join clubs in Dublin during the boom.
Lads are giving out over this? Get real.
Gooch gave us years of enjoyment I hope sincerely his testimonial is a great success.
Hon the Gooch"
The only hypocrisy is your own with your Velcro defence throw enough and hope something sticks , but in the land of Healy Raes why would I be surprised with you backing one of your own for that's what you do best , if it was Peter Canavans testimonial we would hear a different song from the land of cute hoors

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 10/10/2017 10:58:59    2054333

Link

Replying To JamsieMac:  "How much revenue does your local athletic club bring in a year? Would they fill an 80,000 seater stadium on a Sunday afternoon? Would they have a million viewers on RTE? I doubt it, ridiculous comparison"
It's a comparison made when a poster pointed out the effort put in by gaa players. You need to read through this thread.

Your statement is more ridiculous. Cooper didn't put 80,000 people in a stadium. They would have been there anyway supporting Kerry with all their other stellar names.

Your post is the usual 'entitlement' crap of a county player. Elitism that is destroying the game.

zazza (Kildare) - Posts: 8 - 10/10/2017 11:52:53    2054356

Link

if it was Peter Canavans testimonial we would hear a different song from the land of cute hoors
Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts:4595 - 10/10/2017 10:58:59

Good point.

Canavan had a bit of class about him off the pitch I always felt though.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 10/10/2017 12:18:54    2054360

Link

When is GoochAid happening anyway, is there a freephone number I can donate to?

ballydalane (Kilkenny) - Posts: 1246 - 10/10/2017 14:25:40    2054415

Link

Replying To ballydalane:  "When is GoochAid happening anyway, is there a freephone number I can donate to?"
It's the orange envelope in your Church Offering box of envelopes - it will be taken up the same week as the next Priests Stipend - check your local mass bulletin for when this is.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 10/10/2017 15:06:32    2054439

Link

Did you hear the Gooch saying '2 or 3 years ago some fellas approached me about it (the testimonial) but I was still playing then and felt the time wasn't right' or words to that effect,
he is actually trying to blame someone else for this as if he is an innocent bystander? incredible that he hasn't been pulled up on this, some journalists we have alright,
Gooch should run for the Dail next, he'd fit right in.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 2737 - 10/10/2017 15:08:51    2054441

Link

Replying To alano12:  "how many tickets did others sell when compared with him?...the guy was a major star and still is..thats what i mean..not disputing the massive effort countless people have put in but dont pretend like he hasnt made the gaa money"
Dis agree with you. Supporters go to support teams -not individuals The All - Ireland has always been a packed house. As a county in terms of earning revenue to the GAA coffers they would be well down the line as they only come out when their team gets top finals (no disrespect but they have been that used to winning). The current leading ones at present would be Dublin, Mayo, some Ulster teams and then some of the top hurling counties.

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 10/10/2017 15:21:22    2054450

Link

Replying To zazza:  "It's a comparison made when a poster pointed out the effort put in by gaa players. You need to read through this thread.

Your statement is more ridiculous. Cooper didn't put 80,000 people in a stadium. They would have been there anyway supporting Kerry with all their other stellar names.

Your post is the usual 'entitlement' crap of a county player. Elitism that is destroying the game."
Like it or not Elitism is rampant at intercounty level, club level not so much but county?that horse has already bolted.
Read between the lines with what I'm saying. The amount of revenue generated by Coopers amateur 'efforts' is astronomical. There are literally thousands of men and women making 'elite' salaries from his efforts. This doesn't happen at other amateur sports. He's creating the market, others are getting rich off it, if he can sell tickets to a banquet then so be it. He'll not get a penny off me and that's all I can do. And yes I know he's not a one man show but when I say cooper I include all intercounty stars.
My only gripe with this show of self grandiose is that it's all a bit cringeworthy. Thought he was more humble than that. But please leave this 'GAA ethos' guff at the door. I live in the US and each club in this city has a yearly dinner dance adorned with county stars past and present getting paid to show up with Sam or Liam. If you are not outraged by that then you are a hypocrite

JamsieMac (Cavan) - Posts: 481 - 10/10/2017 18:26:03    2054491

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "The only hypocrisy is your own with your Velcro defence throw enough and hope something sticks , but in the land of Healy Raes why would I be surprised with you backing one of your own for that's what you do best , if it was Peter Canavans testimonial we would hear a different song from the land of cute hoors"
You do understand the definition of hypocrisy?
Where have I been a hypocrite?
I'd also suggest you leave politics out of this debate as no matter what any Kerry politician said or done they didn't bring our country to near bankruptcy like certain Dublin politician.
Back to the point, I've already pointed out how money has taken over the GAA , Sky is another example, on top of American football, concerts and the individual deals of players sponsoring supermarket chains for example.
Colm is a private citizen it's nobody's business what he chooses to do.

westkerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1250 - 10/10/2017 19:01:54    2054495

Link

Replying To westkerry:  "You do understand the definition of hypocrisy?
Where have I been a hypocrite?
I'd also suggest you leave politics out of this debate as no matter what any Kerry politician said or done they didn't bring our country to near bankruptcy like certain Dublin politician.
Back to the point, I've already pointed out how money has taken over the GAA , Sky is another example, on top of American football, concerts and the individual deals of players sponsoring supermarket chains for example.
Colm is a private citizen it's nobody's business what he chooses to do."
Absolutely right about the Dublin politician 100 % and the one before him from the 80s was even worse you see up here in Dublin we don't back people based on county borders , some of us think for ourselves , hypocrisy being you'd sing a different tune if was someone other than your own

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 10/10/2017 19:46:25    2054506

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "Absolutely right about the Dublin politician 100 % and the one before him from the 80s was even worse you see up here in Dublin we don't back people based on county borders , some of us think for ourselves , hypocrisy being you'd sing a different tune if was someone other than your own"
Sorry Demon my last post was a bit smart no need for it.
I wouldn't begrudge any GAA player following Colms testimonial.
The Coopers/Caravans/Brogans have earned it in my eyes, that's not the amateur ethos we grew up with but in my eyes the GAA went away from that principal many years ago and the players will eventually follow.

westkerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1250 - 10/10/2017 19:57:11    2054507

Link

Replying To westkerry:  "Sorry Demon my last post was a bit smart no need for it.
I wouldn't begrudge any GAA player following Colms testimonial.
The Coopers/Caravans/Brogans have earned it in my eyes, that's not the amateur ethos we grew up with but in my eyes the GAA went away from that principal many years ago and the players will eventually follow."
Ok I replied in kind , in every thread ever on Gooch I've been his biggest supporter, I'm old enough to remember him breaking into the team , I have been enthralled by him and spent years thinking how come we can't produce something like that , I have taken to him as a pundit , I will buy the book and if I saw him personally I'd ask him to autograph it , One if my proudest moments in sport was spending time in the great Paudies company some 4 months before he passed away , I say all this in token to show I've no cross to bear but personally I'd never support any Dubs testimonial , we do live in a free world but if we didn't give one to Heffo then no one deserves one , just my take

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 10/10/2017 22:50:57    2054541

Link

Testimonials for GAA players is a step too far in my opinion. Players make huge effort and sacrifice their time and energy for the county teams and if the reward of the coveted Geansai is not enough then dont do it. There is also the prestige a person receives by being a county player from ones own people. The Gooch has tarnished himself by not offering all proceeds of his event to charities. I sincerely hope it is the first and last such event by a GAA player.

CaogaCuig (Dublin) - Posts: 63 - 11/10/2017 12:22:21    2054626

Link