National Forum

No backpacks and large bags in Croker.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I'm actually happy about this, one of my pet hates at football and hurling matches are people who bring their big sacks with all sorts in them, you'd swear they were going camping. Space between seats is tight enough but when you get one person with one of these bags, they tend to make a big issue when they either have to
(a) take the bag off your seat where they've left it up until this time
(b) squash the bag underneath their seat, which of course doesn't fit so everyone else has to do their best yoga poses to get by them

Now if we could just do something about late comers to matches I'll be made up

keithlemon (Australia) - Posts: 920 - 20/06/2017 09:51:10    2002334

Link

Replying To ballydalane:  "Surely it's not beyond the wit of GAA fans to bring food and drinks in in plastic bags, or have the food and drink before the match. I never understood fans who bring these rucksacks to matches."
You don't bring the family then?

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2503 - 20/06/2017 09:53:19    2002338

Link

I'm sure you can still bring a Lidl shopping bag full of sangwiches.

jpcampion (Laois) - Posts: 194 - 20/06/2017 09:54:43    2002339

Link

Replying To keithlemon:  "I'm actually happy about this, one of my pet hates at football and hurling matches are people who bring their big sacks with all sorts in them, you'd swear they were going camping. Space between seats is tight enough but when you get one person with one of these bags, they tend to make a big issue when they either have to
(a) take the bag off your seat where they've left it up until this time
(b) squash the bag underneath their seat, which of course doesn't fit so everyone else has to do their best yoga poses to get by them

Now if we could just do something about late comers to matches I'll be made up"
I don't make an issue of either. If you're out all day and using public transport, it makes sense to carry a (reasonably sized) rucksack. Bit of food, bottle of water, jumper/jacket in case the weather changes. What's wrong with that?

MedwayIrish (Wexford) - Posts: 2324 - 20/06/2017 10:00:42    2002341

Link

Only question I have about it is that sometimes I accompany a wheelchair user to matches in Croke Park. He needs to have a bag on the back of the wheelchair to carry some essential personal things. Its just a small back pack but I hope that it won't be banned under the new regulation. I'm presuming it won't -- they're welcome to search it if they want!

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1903 - 20/06/2017 10:15:27    2002352

Link

Were there ever hawkers in Croker walking round the seats selling drinks and ice creams to supporters. They used to be very popular at Connacht matches years ago and they'd clean up in this weather. They'd help to keep the kids settled down too.

Just once we brought our eldest girl, when she was 3, to Croker. Hats off to any parents who bring their young children to any games. I think feeding them is nearly the least worry. Stopping them getting bored and cranky and getting them to and from the toilets is tricky. Not always a family-friendly environment.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7344 - 20/06/2017 10:20:25    2002358

Link

anyone else here in the Hill the day of a big Dubs Meath game in the 90's when someone decided it would be a good idea to give out free mini cans of Lucozade Sport to everyone going in....
I am sure the Lucozade lads were delighted to see so many people only delighted to take 4 or 5 at a time off them
This has been a marketing stroke of genius they must have thought.......

I'd say the stewards on the Hill that day or on the pitch after the parade could have told them otherwise...........

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 20/06/2017 10:28:24    2002364

Link

Replying To PoolSturgeon:  "Only question I have about it is that sometimes I accompany a wheelchair user to matches in Croke Park. He needs to have a bag on the back of the wheelchair to carry some essential personal things. Its just a small back pack but I hope that it won't be banned under the new regulation. I'm presuming it won't -- they're welcome to search it if they want!"
Fair play to you for doing that. You'd think they'd make allowances for wheelchair users and it's just a small bag.

link

There's an other questions link before where you can contact them.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7344 - 20/06/2017 10:28:43    2002365

Link

GAA is correct to do this. Culchies can do "tailgate" party like the yanks. You essentially have tea and sandwiches in the boot of the car and eat at a convenient spot along the way. We still do this. No need to carry the cutlery into Croker. Then you can stop by Supermacs for a treat after game.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1669 - 20/06/2017 10:37:52    2002372

Link

I think it is very naive to think Ireland is not a target no matter how unlikely it may seem. Someone mentioned we are not an invader...The Philippines have never invaded anyone and what about the 1000's of Christians being murdered out there. Also Muslims are being forced to join or die.

As a security expert said on radio recently, ISIS command know they can never invade or win a war with the west. What they can do however is cause panic and tension in our society. Imagine the world ramifications if poor old little neutral Ireland was hit.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11230 - 20/06/2017 11:18:12    2002395

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "I think it is very naive to think Ireland is not a target no matter how unlikely it may seem. Someone mentioned we are not an invader...The Philippines have never invaded anyone and what about the 1000's of Christians being murdered out there. Also Muslims are being forced to join or die.

As a security expert said on radio recently, ISIS command know they can never invade or win a war with the west. What they can do however is cause panic and tension in our society. Imagine the world ramifications if poor old little neutral Ireland was hit."
I think you'll find there is a significantly higher Muslim population in the Philippines (and southern Thailand, similar situation, lesser scale) than there is in Ireland. It is also a home grown problem, which we don't have. You can't really compare the two.

If you want to believe the end is nigh, that's up to you. Me, I'll just get on living my life and leave the extremists at either end of the spectrum to talk about race war and Armageddon. And I say that as someone living less than an hour from London.

Lead a normal life. You've as much chance of scooping the Euromillions winning ticket as you have being involved in an attack.

MedwayIrish (Wexford) - Posts: 2324 - 20/06/2017 11:34:13    2002401

Link

Replying To MedwayIrish:  "I don't make an issue of either. If you're out all day and using public transport, it makes sense to carry a (reasonably sized) rucksack. Bit of food, bottle of water, jumper/jacket in case the weather changes. What's wrong with that?"
For me, nothing wrong with it Medway as long as it doesn't inconvenience anyone else
I have seen people bring 'extra' paraphernalia into Croke Park that can be very annoying.
For example, on wet days people putting up umbrellas and blocking other peoples view or even knocking into people sitting or standing next to them. It's Ireland folks, rain is a fact of life, wear a good jacket with a hood.
Not to mention how people store the umbrella, I've seen people keep them on their laps instead of under their chair
I had a row with one Dublin lad when I jumped up after a goal was scored and I knocked into his camera that he was holding behind me. Totally accidental but he was absolutely livid with me. It looked quite pricey too with a long scoped lense attached. He demanded that I pay for any damages to which I responded in not the best fashion. Not my best moment at Croke Park but it came back to why did you bring something like that into Croke Park with you?

keithlemon (Australia) - Posts: 920 - 20/06/2017 11:48:39    2002412

Link

Replying To MedwayIrish:  "I think you'll find there is a significantly higher Muslim population in the Philippines (and southern Thailand, similar situation, lesser scale) than there is in Ireland. It is also a home grown problem, which we don't have. You can't really compare the two.

If you want to believe the end is nigh, that's up to you. Me, I'll just get on living my life and leave the extremists at either end of the spectrum to talk about race war and Armageddon. And I say that as someone living less than an hour from London.

Lead a normal life. You've as much chance of scooping the Euromillions winning ticket as you have being involved in an attack."
You missed my point...Ireland is not safe because we are neutral. Believe you me I do live a normal life and travel to the US numerous times a year where extreme checking and security is the norm. As I said in my original post, you just got to get on with it. Better to be safe than sorry.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11230 - 20/06/2017 12:25:26    2002451

Link

Replying To keithlemon:  "For me, nothing wrong with it Medway as long as it doesn't inconvenience anyone else
I have seen people bring 'extra' paraphernalia into Croke Park that can be very annoying.
For example, on wet days people putting up umbrellas and blocking other peoples view or even knocking into people sitting or standing next to them. It's Ireland folks, rain is a fact of life, wear a good jacket with a hood.
Not to mention how people store the umbrella, I've seen people keep them on their laps instead of under their chair
I had a row with one Dublin lad when I jumped up after a goal was scored and I knocked into his camera that he was holding behind me. Totally accidental but he was absolutely livid with me. It looked quite pricey too with a long scoped lense attached. He demanded that I pay for any damages to which I responded in not the best fashion. Not my best moment at Croke Park but it came back to why did you bring something like that into Croke Park with you?"
Totally agree with your points there Keith. In fact, you've probably nailed a couple of my pet hates.

Umbrella users are by definition selfish. Shouldn't be allowed in stadia, full stop. Like you say, how difficult is it to buy a hooded waterproof. Also, half the time it's raining, it's also windy, meaning they're next to useless anyway. It doesn't just stop with matchgoers, I can't stand them out and about on the street, either. It's as if it's YOUR responsibility not to allow THEM the opportunity of gouging one of your eyes out. They breeze along the pavement in their own little bubble and they don't give a s**t.

As for the technophiles who feel that nothing, absolutely NOTHING is validated unless they've got a photo or a video of it, I can't get my head round them. A goal, point etc should be a time for spontaneous celebration. Why can't they live in the moment and just go ape like the rest of us? Just so they can post some poor quality 20 second clip on youtube. Yeah, thanks for that. Don't need to watch the extended highlights in HD now I've had the benefit of that, do I?

I wouldn't have blamed you for taking his poxy camera and smashing it to pieces on the floor. In fact I'd probably have taken you for a pint!

MedwayIrish (Wexford) - Posts: 2324 - 20/06/2017 12:39:12    2002458

Link

I can probably understand the big bags alright but what's the deal with the flags being banned? Or have they always been banned/restricted but just never really clamped down on it till now??

Dubsfan28 (Dublin) - Posts: 2509 - 20/06/2017 12:39:57    2002460

Link

I pay for any damages to which I responded in not the best fashion. Not my best moment at Croke Park but it came back to why did you bring something like that into Croke Park with you?
keithlemon (Australia) - Posts:551 - 20/06/2017 11:48:39 20

sounds to me like you did respond in the best possible fashion

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 20/06/2017 12:45:01    2002465

Link

what about tin foil - how else do i keep me sambos fresh?

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 20/06/2017 12:45:59    2002466

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "anyone else here in the Hill the day of a big Dubs Meath game in the 90's when someone decided it would be a good idea to give out free mini cans of Lucozade Sport to everyone going in....
I am sure the Lucozade lads were delighted to see so many people only delighted to take 4 or 5 at a time off them
This has been a marketing stroke of genius they must have thought.......

I'd say the stewards on the Hill that day or on the pitch after the parade could have told them otherwise..........."
italia 90 qualifiers fellas goin into the stadiums with a 9 pack of toilet rolls, innocent me thought they were actually for the toilets, but actually they were thrown to pitch as streamers , que sera sera we going to italy

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 20/06/2017 12:48:01    2002470

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "You missed my point...Ireland is not safe because we are neutral. Believe you me I do live a normal life and travel to the US numerous times a year where extreme checking and security is the norm. As I said in my original post, you just got to get on with it. Better to be safe than sorry."
Ireland isn't 100% safe but then, where is? We're as safe as any "western" country is ever likely to be YT. I wouldn't want the whole developed world to adopt American levels of paranoia. Do that and they have been allowed to change what living in a democratic, free country should be all about, not some Orwellian vision of the future.

MedwayIrish (Wexford) - Posts: 2324 - 20/06/2017 12:49:23    2002471

Link

Just because we've never been attacked by ISIS doesn't mean it couldn't happen here sometime. We're better off safe than sorry even if a bag search policy is unlikely to prevent a determined attacker.

All over the Phillipines people have to have their bags searched and are patted down by armed security guards when they enter a mall, airport etc. Not so much to do with Muslim or anti-Christian terrorism. Unfortunately it's because of rampant crime and a historically corrupt police force.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7344 - 20/06/2017 12:51:26    2002472

Link