National Forum

Tyrone v Donegal

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To galwayfball:  "Could Donegal get drawn against Mayo in the qualifiers?"
Yep same side of draw.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 18/06/2017 15:44:42    2001167

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Great performance from tyrone but you have to factor in that Donegal didn't show up today"
Ah come me on man - Donegal looked good for first 15-20 mins - then Tyrone defense and their newly found attack blew Donegal away - credit where credits due!!!

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 18/06/2017 15:47:24    2001168

Link

Donegal fans I feel your pain. Just one of those days. We were probably all expecting too much of Donegals young players who had never played at this level of championship football. Tyrone were simply on fire.

HighKings (Meath) - Posts: 271 - 18/06/2017 15:51:35    2001170

Link

great performance from Tyrone today. I thought Lee Brennan might have got a run out when the contest was over. Bringing McCurry on didnt tell us anything we didnt already know. Is there a reason he's not getting his chance?

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 2385 - 18/06/2017 15:59:36    2001175

Link

Replying To HighKings:  "Donegal fans I feel your pain. Just one of those days. We were probably all expecting too much of Donegals young players who had never played at this level of championship football. Tyrone were simply on fire."
Anger more than pain, I have not seen such a lack of intensity in a Donegal performance since before Jim McGuinness. And having to listen to the nonsense about poor Rory Gallagher and his young team. He refused to try and integrate any players over the last couple of years, and forced multiple players out of the squad. This is the end result.

Well done Tyrone, thoroughly deserved

petejoeduff (Donegal) - Posts: 329 - 18/06/2017 16:05:02    2001178

Link

Like a lot of people, I was well off on my predictions here. Tyrone were outstanding in their defensive play and attacking play. Hungrier, more organised and playing at actual championship intensity.

Donegal were playing at a pace and intensity today that I can only describe as pedestrian. Not going to get into recriminations as so many players are young lads and with the right management, they can be a real force in the coming years. However, I'm not convinced that the current manager should be the man to oversee that now. As someone else said, I haven't witnessed such a deficit in Ulster championship intensity from us since pre McGuinness days. Worrying signs. Really need to get up to the pace of championship ASAP or we are done for the year. Loads of ability but tactically one dimensional

Donegal_abroad (Donegal) - Posts: 1321 - 18/06/2017 16:13:25    2001182

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Could Donegal get drawn against Mayo in the qualifiers?"
link

Not in the next round, losing provincial semi finalists can't meet each other.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7345 - 18/06/2017 16:15:36    2001184

Link

Replying To Killarney.87:  "If Mark Bradley got a black card for what he did in the build up to his point, why does the score stand?

I'm usually very critical of the referees but I actually feel sorry for Gough. Its impossible to officiate the black card correctly.

The black card in its current existence is the greatest load of sh&t."
Donegal should have got 3 black cards today. Mark Bradley got a lot of attention including 2 trips and the ref ignored him. I said on Friday night that Tyrone are most dangerous when they're written off and the sure were for this one

border Gael (Monaghan) - Posts: 894 - 18/06/2017 16:20:04    2001188

Link

Replying To SaffronDon:  "great performance from Tyrone today. I thought Lee Brennan might have got a run out when the contest was over. Bringing McCurry on didnt tell us anything we didnt already know. Is there a reason he's not getting his chance?"
Don't understand it myself - Oneill come on and did nothing but 2 bad misses - Brennan a real gem and needs more game time - he may be injured maybe the Tyrone brethren can enlighten us?

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 18/06/2017 16:23:54    2001192

Link

To be honest I think Tyrone were flattered by a very young & naive Donegal side. Will be interesting to them up against a half decent side. Very impressive long range points from play by Tyrone to counteract the blanket. Should be a good Ulster final but my money still on the Monaghan men.

PeggyGordon (Antrim) - Posts: 13 - 18/06/2017 16:33:53    2001199

Link

It was ding dong for the first 20 and then missing that goal chance seemed to drain all life out of us. Tyrone were clearly trusting in their game plan and didn't phase them when Cavanagh missed the one on one. I get the feeling it wouldn't have phased them if McHugh had rattled the net either but it definitely effected us. But let's be honest the Tyrone main men were outstanding all over the pitch whereas our danger men were pretty much anonymous. Ciaran Thompson, both McHughs, Carroll, Murphy all seriously struggled. Fair play to Paddy McBrearty he was still showing strong and showed he is our main forward.

I guess the biggest disappointing thing for me is all the qualities that these lads showed in the league - the grit and determination - completely disappeared. As good as Tyrone were, that is seriously worrying from our own point of view. I liked a lot of what we were doing in the first 20 with a mix of kick passing it into Paddy when it was on and being patient too. But then it all fell apart and Tyrone really upped the gears and we couldn't cope at all.

Tyrone fans will be delighted with the scoring especially first half. Understandably took the foot off the gas in the second and a few poor pot shots at times but the game was well won.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1432 - 18/06/2017 16:39:56    2001203

Link

To the Donegal faithful an up and coming young side who will come of age Rory was out smarted by a master Mickey the kickouts worked a treat getting the ball behind a blanket defense I thought big Sean carried the ball to much into the tackle everything clicked into gear for Tyrone might have shown presumably Monaghan his hand today but into a Final it's great a great feeling .

fortyfive (Tyrone) - Posts: 5929 - 18/06/2017 16:41:20    2001205

Link

Replying To border Gael:  "Donegal should have got 3 black cards today. Mark Bradley got a lot of attention including 2 trips and the ref ignored him. I said on Friday night that Tyrone are most dangerous when they're written off and the sure were for this one"
I was asking so I could understand the rules of the black card better, not for he said, she said purposes.

Don't worry a kind poster from Cavan cleared it up for me.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 18/06/2017 16:45:44    2001209

Link

"Desperately poor game, puke football at its worst. Tyrone dragging the game down."

Oh wait, sorry, wrong script, let's try faint praise through gritted teeth instead ;)

essmac (Tyrone) - Posts: 1141 - 18/06/2017 16:58:45    2001213

Link

Replying To essmac:  ""Desperately poor game, puke football at its worst. Tyrone dragging the game down."

Oh wait, sorry, wrong script, let's try faint praise through gritted teeth instead ;)"
Very funny - I for one will give Tyrone credit for that performance today - any team who can do that to Donegal deserve serious credit. All the people who discredit Tyrone because they felt Donegal weren't up for it are simply foolish - they just were outclassed by a rampant red hand team - question is will mickey continue to play this way - there's no reason in the world why he wouldn't.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 18/06/2017 17:06:46    2001215

Link

People talking as if Tyrone did something different today. They were as defensive as always but just very clinical. I think only 1 wide in the 1st half and that was with a lot of long range efforts.

I thought we were far too 'fair' in the tackle. Tyrone were hitting us harder and I thought Gough let them get away with a lot of stuff before getting frees. I think we only got 6 frees in the whole game. But we didn't tackle with the same intensity at all.

The game was over at half time really.

benjyyy (Donegal) - Posts: 1422 - 18/06/2017 17:22:12    2001219

Link

Well done Tyrone. Great performance, control, tackling and scoring. 1 19 from play and the scores were very well taken. No looking at the posts.

I could say that we were very poor but I just think that we cant judge our lads against a very strong tyrone today....but we still were very poor today.
Hard to know where we go from here. Couldn't understand why Jason Magee got subbed, he must have been injured.

We were simply beaten by a better hungrier side today and the very best of luck to Tyrone.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 18/06/2017 17:26:36    2001221

Link

no, beaten semi-finalists can't be drawn together in this round of draws.

bulmccabe (Tyrone) - Posts: 361 - 18/06/2017 17:36:35    2001228

Link

Replying To essmac:  ""Desperately poor game, puke football at its worst. Tyrone dragging the game down."

Oh wait, sorry, wrong script, let's try faint praise through gritted teeth instead ;)"
Ha you weren't watching the same game as me. As regards the referee I think he kept the black cards for Tyrone only today. Donegal keeper kick outs came from 2 feet outside the line all day and was only pulled once. He was right to keep doing it when he was getting away with it. Also why should Donegal not do high tackles when they know it's only going to be a yellow. Just can't understand why this is happening. It's not as if the black card only came in yesterday. Tyrone deserved their victory
Don't know if they'll beat monaghan though.

border Gael (Monaghan) - Posts: 894 - 18/06/2017 17:48:16    2001237

Link

Replying To border Gael:  "Ha you weren't watching the same game as me. As regards the referee I think he kept the black cards for Tyrone only today. Donegal keeper kick outs came from 2 feet outside the line all day and was only pulled once. He was right to keep doing it when he was getting away with it. Also why should Donegal not do high tackles when they know it's only going to be a yellow. Just can't understand why this is happening. It's not as if the black card only came in yesterday. Tyrone deserved their victory
Don't know if they'll beat monaghan though."
High tackles are not a black card offence.

benjyyy (Donegal) - Posts: 1422 - 18/06/2017 17:55:23    2001247

Link