National Forum

Davy Fitz

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To mooncat:  "is there anyone making excuses for what happened?I merely said that there were lots of hurleys swinging,I didnt make any excuse for Tommy,Brian Gavin didnt take any action so the incident was over like my contribution to this debate about Davy,"
Spot on Mooncat.....Fairplayalways, another Davey apologist, is selective in his post re Tommy Walsh. IMO Tommy Walsh was reckless in his Hurley swinging but not intentional to draw blood off anyone! Gavin was correct in his reaction. This segment was shown again recently on TG4 and I'm convinced it was an unfortunate incident. Now here's the rub.....that incident had personnel who were entitled to be where they were when that incident happened....Davey Fitz had NO RIGHT to be where he was ....under any circumstances! Tommys rush of blood was in mix of playing, Fitzgeralds was, again, cleverly measured to cause controversy and try to gain some advantage. Ah, but shure it's only Davey, wears his heart on his sleeve etc etc etc.....enough of this apologist crap.

eaglehaslanded (Cork) - Posts: 135 - 23/04/2017 02:35:51    1981806

Link

Replying To Fairplayalways:  "I have been consistent in raising the Tommy Walsh issue well before last Sundays incident...many hurls might have been flying in the incident with Brian Gavin but go and look at the video and Tommy Walshes makes a fair chopping motion and whether you like it or not he HIT the referee!!....Brian Gavin was a soft man not to card him for it, and the GAA were as bad not to pull him up on retrospectively...as you say its one thing getting worked up and all that but you have to keep a lid on it...Davy Fitz at worst was going into talk to the referee, not assault him, so I cannot see what the big deal is, compared to Tommy Walsh hitting the referee either intentionally or not, he swung his hurl and hit the referee...one player pulling the helmet off another player is another thing, and some of Kilkennys 4 in row team had a few butts of hurls into under the chin and a few face guards tugged at while the ball was dropping and were not copped until that night in the Sunday game, Eddie Brennan tackle on Seamus Hickey was disgraceful too..but now Ime going down the road you went above....lets keep it to the referee and Manager and player incident, if Davy Fitz gets 8 weeks for going in on the field, fair enough, Tommy Walsh should have got 8 months for hittting the referee...if he had been acting agressively he wouldnt have hit the referee..I am sorry but I dont think we will aggree on this one...lets hope Wexford can carry their form into the Leinster championship and make it competitive...we are all hurling folk on here etc..."
Where would you put Padraig Maher pull on Michael Rice that finished his career in 2012 all Ireland semi final, the Gerry Quinn incident with Henry Shefflin all Ireland quarter final replay 2004. THE breaking of TJ Reids knee cap by a Galway player in the 2012 all Ireland Iarla Tannion. What suspensions did these players get none.

johnwhite12 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 306 - 23/04/2017 09:57:05    1981817

Link

There's a lot of talk about 'passion' for the game. Passion isn't confined to roaring and bawling! Is Pat Critchley from my own county Laois any less passionate of a hurling man, because he conducts himself quietly on the sideline, than Davy. Pat has managed Laois at every level along with many club teams. Anytime Laois are in a heap at county level, which is fairly frequently, himself or the likes of Cheddar Plunkett step into the breech. There are numerous examples of passionate hurling men up and down the country. Often with fire in the belly but ice in the brain.

I think it was Pinkie who said here he's 50,000 times more passionate about Wexford hurling than Davy. And i couldn't agree more. A man born and bred in the traditions his county and a fella who has managed several county, college and club teams and is in the Wexford job all of 6 mts!!

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 23/04/2017 12:42:39    1981849

Link

Replying To Laois76:  "There's a lot of talk about 'passion' for the game. Passion isn't confined to roaring and bawling! Is Pat Critchley from my own county Laois any less passionate of a hurling man, because he conducts himself quietly on the sideline, than Davy. Pat has managed Laois at every level along with many club teams. Anytime Laois are in a heap at county level, which is fairly frequently, himself or the likes of Cheddar Plunkett step into the breech. There are numerous examples of passionate hurling men up and down the country. Often with fire in the belly but ice in the brain.

I think it was Pinkie who said here he's 50,000 times more passionate about Wexford hurling than Davy. And i couldn't agree more. A man born and bred in the traditions his county and a fella who has managed several county, college and club teams and is in the Wexford job all of 6 mts!!"
Thank god hurling is never boring both on and off the field....full of great characters!@#
Can we please move on from last weeks match as its now over and old news!!!!
We have a great summer championship to look forward too!!!!
Galway brilliant today and tipp back in their box for now but will be different animal come cork match.. cats licking their lips to kill wexford come June, waterford limerick clare dublin all primed for action.
Antrim meath and laois off the mark all ready and hopefully davy will have fire in the yellow bellies this summer..tipp and the cats can be bet and that is for sure?!!@
So why the hell are we still talking about this incident!
Move on please..
Hurling abu

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - Posts: 550 - 23/04/2017 19:42:45    1981964

Link

Replying To johnwhite12:  "Where would you put Padraig Maher pull on Michael Rice that finished his career in 2012 all Ireland semi final, the Gerry Quinn incident with Henry Shefflin all Ireland quarter final replay 2004. THE breaking of TJ Reids knee cap by a Galway player in the 2012 all Ireland Iarla Tannion. What suspensions did these players get none."
Yeah those incidents were terrible and SHOULD have been dealt with either during game or retrospectively.... the Davy Fitz issue is about running in on field AND trying to remonstrate with the referee, Tommy Walsh struck the referee which in my opinion definitely crossed a line...the incidents you mentioned above occur in games between players and are totally separate from attacking a referee either verbally on the pitch or worse still striking him while swinging hurl at another player..bringing those incidents into the debate is boxing all incidents as similar which they certainly are not... 8 weeks for running in on pitch and Ide say something if he reached the referee!!!... hit ref in face with hurl while acting aggressively in a flare up and its OK as he didnt mean it???....sorry man but interfering with ref is one thing...hitting him while acting aggressively is no debate...

Fairplayalways (Offaly) - Posts: 1034 - 23/04/2017 22:43:32    1982016

Link

Replying To eaglehaslanded:  "Spot on Mooncat.....Fairplayalways, another Davey apologist, is selective in his post re Tommy Walsh. IMO Tommy Walsh was reckless in his Hurley swinging but not intentional to draw blood off anyone! Gavin was correct in his reaction. This segment was shown again recently on TG4 and I'm convinced it was an unfortunate incident. Now here's the rub.....that incident had personnel who were entitled to be where they were when that incident happened....Davey Fitz had NO RIGHT to be where he was ....under any circumstances! Tommys rush of blood was in mix of playing, Fitzgeralds was, again, cleverly measured to cause controversy and try to gain some advantage. Ah, but shure it's only Davey, wears his heart on his sleeve etc etc etc.....enough of this apologist crap."
Luckily Brian Gavin understands the game better than fairplayalways. If he was reffing last Sunday DF would have been sent to stand. And you can't excuse it because of a bad decision by the ref. Worse decisions were made in Wx vs Lk league game and John Kiely did not conduct himself in such a thuggish manner.

Westfester (Limerick) - Posts: 943 - 23/04/2017 23:41:46    1982030

Link

Replying To Westfester:  "Luckily Brian Gavin understands the game better than fairplayalways. If he was reffing last Sunday DF would have been sent to stand. And you can't excuse it because of a bad decision by the ref. Worse decisions were made in Wx vs Lk league game and John Kiely did not conduct himself in such a thuggish manner."
No, in true Limerick style he waited to dish out the excuses after wards and blame everybody but themselves!

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 24/04/2017 11:47:53    1982156

Link

The dust is only beginning to settle on the Davy Fitzgerald pitch incursion controversy. The media have also had a field day, with so many 'experts' and commentators quick to add their tuppenny bit to the whole debate. It begs the question that if it wasn't Davy Fitzgerald would the story generate the same level of hype and reaction?

Davy is high profile, and by nature he is a passionate man, who speaks his mind and shoots from the hip. He puts himself out there, and is not afraid to say what he believes and make bold predictions. It is because of these very characteristics, that so many people are quick to pull the retaliatory trigger.

Part of this is due to the fact that he can match talk with action; he is a doer. His record speaks for itself, both as a player and as a manager. Davy is straight talking and that is unsettling for a lot of people. He isn't the type to whisper in huddles in churchyards on Sunday mornings, or over a splintered barstool week in week out, moaning over what could, or what should be done about things.

Because of his very nature, Davy sets himself up to be shot at. As a result, there are those who are ready to pull the trigger for the sake of it because he skates too close to our comfort zone at times. Some can't forgive that loose comment that upset their team in the past; or those defeats where Davy was involved when his teams tore up the traditional script and upset the hand of tradition and the sense of entitlement that continued success can often encourage.

The American philanthropist William Clement Stone once said that 'there are 3 types of people in life, those who wait for things to happen, those who expect things to happen and those who make things happen'. Davy belongs to the latter category purely by his very nature and his can do attitude. He is a character with character.

It doesn't really matter whether the ban is eight weeks, eight months or eight minutes. In this era of ephemeral media, his antics at Nowlan Park will soon be forgotten when the next 'controversy' erupts, and, life will go on. Those with temporary power and authority will make right or wrong decisions, simply because they can.

What Davy Fitzgerald did was wrong according to the guidelines laid down for managers and selectors etc. He does need to 'chill the beans' a little in terms of what he says on the sidelines in the heat of battle in front of young children in the stand, the very people who look up to the players, selectors and managers alike.

Then, of course there are the adult children in the stand, who respond to Davy with more of the same. Comments of a personal nature regarding his heart condition were heard in the stands at two of the recent NHL games - both comments were from grown men, one from an experienced commentator! Maybe they were just reacting in the same instinctive, intuitive manner that Davy did in the heat of the moment. The rationale often comes later after the events - we can't help or hide our animal nature all the time.

Maybe something positive can be learnt from the recent episode on the hallowed turf of Nowlan Park. You may bet there are many out there who secretly would love to have Davy's drive and passion. Who knows? There may even be resentment towards these positive traits. If only it was as infectious as Davy's drive, commitment and passion for our great game.

Sliotharyslope (Wexford) - Posts: 136 - 25/04/2017 16:21:02    1982584

Link