Wicklow Forum

Senior hurling 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Has there been any of the vacant manger positions been filled in glenealy Carnew or bray I see eamon scalan from Wexford has the eire og job maybe this is what that club has been lacking the last few years an outside manager

Hurleyman12 (Wicklow) - 23/01/2017 15:28:36    1948125

Link

Replying To Hurleyman12:  "Has there been any of the vacant manger positions been filled in glenealy Carnew or bray I see eamon scalan from Wexford has the eire og job maybe this is what that club has been lacking the last few years an outside manager"
Here Liam Dunne going to glenealy

Northernboy (Wicklow) - 23/01/2017 21:58:03    1948260

Link

how many clubs play hurling at all levels in wicklow at the moment ,did i hear Aughrim have underage hurling in the club again ?

southerncat79 (Kilkenny) - 27/01/2017 09:38:49    1949137

Link

It varies from year to year.

Aughrim & Tinahely have had a joint team (Luke O Tooles) at U14 & U16 for the past couple of years - they are very strong at age 15 to 17 right now.

Michael Dwyers have a team drawn from most of West Wicklow at U14 to Minor.

Carnew & Bray Emmets have teams at each age group. Bray won U16 A last year but struggled at U14 as far as I know.

Eire Og and Kilcoole have had joint teams at U14 to Minor the last few years.

Arklow Rocks and Avondale have had to enter joint teams in U14 and U16 the last couple of years. Not sure about Minor.

Glenealy had a strong minor team last year but U14 and U16 were quite weak.

St. Pats won U16 B hurling championship last year but had no U14 or Minor team.

ogra (Wicklow) - 27/01/2017 11:36:44    1949162

Link

Are Kiltegan & Annacurra still producing Hurling Teams ,last years Wicklow senior keeper was from Annacurra ?

emerald79 (Kilkenny) - 27/01/2017 14:14:05    1949210

Link

Kiltegan struggling for years now as football is dominant. Cant see them last much longer despite wining intermediate final last year they will be slaughtered at senior and have very little coming trough to make a team. Annacurra players usually play with Carnew

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - 29/01/2017 20:22:54    1949879

Link

Replying To ogra:  "It varies from year to year.

Aughrim & Tinahely have had a joint team (Luke O Tooles) at U14 & U16 for the past couple of years - they are very strong at age 15 to 17 right now.

Michael Dwyers have a team drawn from most of West Wicklow at U14 to Minor.

Carnew & Bray Emmets have teams at each age group. Bray won U16 A last year but struggled at U14 as far as I know.

Eire Og and Kilcoole have had joint teams at U14 to Minor the last few years.

Arklow Rocks and Avondale have had to enter joint teams in U14 and U16 the last couple of years. Not sure about Minor.

Glenealy had a strong minor team last year but U14 and U16 were quite weak.

St. Pats won U16 B hurling championship last year but had no U14 or Minor team."
Nice to see about 8 teams fielding underage though. Much better than when I was playing years ago. Any of the underage matches I attended this year looked very competitive. A shame that county minor was such a disaster last year when we have these numbers.

liam500 (Wicklow) - 30/01/2017 10:52:46    1950035

Link

are Blessington still hurling ?

southerncat79 (Kilkenny) - 30/01/2017 18:05:51    1950223

Link

Replying To southerncat79:  "are Blessington still hurling ?"
not sure this year but they had younger age groups a few years ago. mostly there players play for Michael Dwyers/Kiltegan

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - 30/01/2017 19:41:55    1950302

Link

Replying To hurlingnut:  "not sure this year but they had younger age groups a few years ago. mostly there players play for Michael Dwyers/Kiltegan"
Read today that Garry Laffan is Glenealy new manager. From what I hear he could be good and hopefully he will get Glenealy back to the top again but it won't be easy as Bray are now in their prime.

Point2point (Wicklow) - 09/02/2017 20:49:01    1954186

Link

Replying To southerncat79:  "are Blessington still hurling ?"
Blessington hurl at juvenile up to u10, at u12 they play with Western Gaels and u14 onwards with Michael Dwyers.

ww14 (Wicklow) - 10/02/2017 16:20:20    1954446

Link

Another great win yesterday, This team looks in a lot better shape already than they did last year, the fighting spirit and hurling was great..... win away next Sunday up in Derry and a league final is a very strong possibility. Maybe start pumping some money into the hurling and see what might happen !!!!

brollyboy (Wicklow) - 20/02/2017 11:08:04    1958577

Link

Replying To brollyboy:  "Another great win yesterday, This team looks in a lot better shape already than they did last year, the fighting spirit and hurling was great..... win away next Sunday up in Derry and a league final is a very strong possibility. Maybe start pumping some money into the hurling and see what might happen !!!!"
I've been saying that for years. Football is a dead duck at this point.

sponger (Wicklow) - 20/02/2017 11:28:54    1958591

Link

Replying To sponger:  "I've been saying that for years. Football is a dead duck at this point."
I've also said it a number of times on here that it would take much less time & financial investment to get us to a point of being a competitive Tier 1 hurling county than what it would take for us to be an equally competitive football county.
Good result for the Hurlers yesterday but they only hurled well in patches. Chester came on and looked short of hurling and it took us a long time to get to grips with their 14 dropping deep and picking up a lot of ball. Henderson kept him quiet in the second half. Great spirit shown to see it out at the end though.

Hawkeye2 (Wicklow) - 20/02/2017 12:03:46    1958624

Link

Where's Mikey Lee these days? Surely he's worth a few extra points per match? Anyway, looks like Meath are the team to beat in this.

liam500 (Wicklow) - 20/02/2017 15:04:35    1958715

Link

Tier 1 hurling is a long long way off for a county with such a small and limited player pool. We might get to division 2A in a few years and will need a lot of luck and skill to stay there.
Saying that it is brilliant to see the spirit yesterday but we were really in trouble if Mayo had taken there chances. They had so many scoreing chances that went wide and we were a mess. Bringing on some of the subs that we had won this game for wicklow. and it is plain to see that some of the starting team are not up to this level. We will have a difficult time whit meath and i dont think we can really expect a team in transitioning to compete with them. This is a good year for building for the future. I am told mikiey lea is not on the panel and this is a shame as we really need some better forwards. Dannie Staunton was a big miss for us yesterday hope he gets better soon.

So far so good and we have important points in the bag . So dont think relegation will be a problem

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - 20/02/2017 16:26:11    1958768

Link

Why is he not on the panel.

sponger (Wicklow) - 20/02/2017 17:41:31    1958799

Link

Replying To hurlingnut:  "Tier 1 hurling is a long long way off for a county with such a small and limited player pool. We might get to division 2A in a few years and will need a lot of luck and skill to stay there.
Saying that it is brilliant to see the spirit yesterday but we were really in trouble if Mayo had taken there chances. They had so many scoreing chances that went wide and we were a mess. Bringing on some of the subs that we had won this game for wicklow. and it is plain to see that some of the starting team are not up to this level. We will have a difficult time whit meath and i dont think we can really expect a team in transitioning to compete with them. This is a good year for building for the future. I am told mikiey lea is not on the panel and this is a shame as we really need some better forwards. Dannie Staunton was a big miss for us yesterday hope he gets better soon.

So far so good and we have important points in the bag . So dont think relegation will be a problem"
Maybe Div 1 is abit far to dream but certainly div 2a and competing against the Carlow,Laois and maybe Offaly of this world isn't out of our reach but backing and coaching is needed. Mikey Lee is currently injured but most of yesterdays subs are all 19-23 years old apart from 1 r 2 so its a young squad. The likes of Westmeath,Kerry and Carlow have turned into a strong hurling county now and theres no reason why we can't do the same.

brollyboy (Wicklow) - 20/02/2017 17:47:03    1958802

Link

Great effort & performance on Sunday ,Seamus murphy is getting the job done ,for me the big issue is the wrash heavy tackling ,if Wicklow are to progress this is vital they learn to tackle properly, fouling is the easy way out ,they should be more disciplined in challenges & all to often take the easy option of fouling & at times erratic tackling ,I'm not being disrespectful at all ,I would love to see Wicklow hurling thriving in higher divisions & absolutely no reason with the proper resources & backing in place but Dicipline must become part of there game

emerald79 (Kilkenny) - 22/02/2017 13:39:59    1959563

Link

Great effort & performance on Sunday ,Seamus murphy is getting the job done ,for me the big issue is the wrash heavy tackling ,if Wicklow are to progress this is vital they learn to tackle properly, fouling is the easy way out ,they should be more disciplined in challenges & all to often take the easy option of fouling & at times erratic tackling ,I'm not being disrespectful at all ,I would love to see Wicklow hurling thriving in higher divisions & absolutely no reason with the proper resources & backing in place but Dicipline must become part of there game

emerald79 (Kilkenny) - 23/02/2017 10:59:58    1959803

Link