Wicklow Forum

Championship 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

What are your verdicts on the championship to date this year? Do you feel the new format worked? Was the standard good? Players who stood out for different teams?

Also who do you think will win next Sunday's decider and why?

wondershorts (Wicklow) - 09/10/2017 10:31:10    2054019

Link

Hard to look past Rathnew now after yesterday's result. They had a few players yesterday that didn't show well , Eddie Doyle and Jody Merrigan definitely had more in them than what they showed yesterday but like so many times before they done what was needed to get across the line. Baltinglass sorely missed Joey Kelly's free taking ability yesterday, the keeper kicked a couple of long ones but missed a few more and they missed of couple from closer in the first half too. Blessington don't have a great track record when it comes to taking on Rathnew in Aughrim, difficult to see the outcome being any different on Sunday.

Hawkeye2 (Wicklow) - 09/10/2017 10:58:49    2054031

Link

Think some of the comments that have come about since the Balto v Rathnew game are completely unwarranted. The referee had a very good game in what was an EXTREMELY competitive affair. I make no apologies for saying the comments that appeared on Facebook after the game came from an extremely uneducated group of people who should be ashamed of themselves.

neutralfan (Wicklow) - 10/10/2017 00:53:58    2054285

Link

Replying To neutralfan:  "Think some of the comments that have come about since the Balto v Rathnew game are completely unwarranted. The referee had a very good game in what was an EXTREMELY competitive affair. I make no apologies for saying the comments that appeared on Facebook after the game came from an extremely uneducated group of people who should be ashamed of themselves."
I agree neutrafan.
ref done a fair job on the game.he also has got the county final on Sunday.
so maybe certain quarters should have kept there powder dry.
unfortunately there are people who come on here and never give the refs a brake.

Namstap (Wicklow) - 10/10/2017 08:10:45    2054293

Link

I'd say Blesso were praying for a Balto win at the weekend, there will only be one winner now.

hardybuck28 (Wicklow) - 10/10/2017 08:24:37    2054296

Link

Replying To Namstap:  "I agree neutrafan.
ref done a fair job on the game.he also has got the county final on Sunday.
so maybe certain quarters should have kept there powder dry.
unfortunately there are people who come on here and never give the refs a brake."
Are you suggesting that the ref will be influenced by comments on social media?

Onlywayisup (Wicklow) - 10/10/2017 10:14:09    2054313

Link

Replying To hardybuck28:  "I'd say Blesso were praying for a Balto win at the weekend, there will only be one winner now."
Wait and see! This Blessington team Has impressed me in the last 2 games! Big strong and have plenty of pace! Going to be a very exciting final!

westwicklow (Wicklow) - 10/10/2017 10:15:40    2054315

Link

I think this ref is good but didn't have one of his better days Sunday. He's interpretation of the black card was all over the place. I'm sure he'll do a better job on the final and the best of luck to him

Onlywayisup (Wicklow) - 10/10/2017 10:19:55    2054316

Link

Replying To hardybuck28:  "I'd say Blesso were praying for a Balto win at the weekend, there will only be one winner now."
most probably right.
but blesso surprised me against my own club
this year.I just give them more of a chance than most.
power dighnam staff.glynn mernagh bruser
still the leaders for rathnew.
all in their 30s now. have been and still are great servants to rathnew.but time catches up with us all.for this reason I give blesso a chance.
rathnew are going to have a serious problem trying to replace them six men.
could get very baron for rathnew when they
retire.

Namstap (Wicklow) - 10/10/2017 10:39:45    2054322

Link

Replying To Onlywayisup:  "Are you suggesting that the ref will be influenced by comments on social media?"
he is human...

Namstap (Wicklow) - 10/10/2017 11:04:18    2054336

Link

Replying To Onlywayisup:  "I think this ref is good but didn't have one of his better days Sunday. He's interpretation of the black card was all over the place. I'm sure he'll do a better job on the final and the best of luck to him"
you on the other hand are of course an expert
on the black card.
your not related to monopoly by any chance.

Namstap (Wicklow) - 10/10/2017 11:06:50    2054337

Link

Replying To Namstap:  "you on the other hand are of course an expert
on the black card.
your not related to monopoly by any chance."
You didn't need to be an expert to see he was was wrong Sunday.

Onlywayisup (Wicklow) - 10/10/2017 13:41:04    2054399

Link

Replying To neutralfan:  "Think some of the comments that have come about since the Balto v Rathnew game are completely unwarranted. The referee had a very good game in what was an EXTREMELY competitive affair. I make no apologies for saying the comments that appeared on Facebook after the game came from an extremely uneducated group of people who should be ashamed of themselves."
I'm from Rathnew, i personally didn't comment on the referee saga on Facebook however people are entitled to their opinion. It certainly wasn't his best game and he made some questionable decisions. The people commenting on the post shouldn't be called uneducated, that is a bit harsh. As a matter of fact the majority weren't even from Rathnew. I suppose that doesn't matter to most on here, everyone likes to take a pop behind a keyboard. Maybe answer back on facebook when it isn't easy to hide behind a pen name.

SHONNIE38 (Wicklow) - 11/10/2017 01:56:04    2054559

Link

Replying To Namstap:  "most probably right.
but blesso surprised me against my own club
this year.I just give them more of a chance than most.
power dighnam staff.glynn mernagh bruser
still the leaders for rathnew.
all in their 30s now. have been and still are great servants to rathnew.but time catches up with us all.for this reason I give blesso a chance.
rathnew are going to have a serious problem trying to replace them six men.
could get very baron for rathnew when they
retire."
Can't argue with you there. Yes the experienced heads stood up and are a major contributing factor to us being in a county final this weekend and as a Rathnew supporter i would love to have them for another 10 years but Warren Kavanagh is in his early 20s and Playing a stormer all year.Ross O Brien, Jamie Snell , Jody Merrigan , Eddie Doyle, Theo Smyth, Graham Merrigan, Mark Doyle, John Manley, Gary Byrne are all in their 20s
The same was said around the county when the coffees, mernaghs, gills and the doyles retired. It was a different era and a different level of football back then but We were still there or there abouts as we rebuilt. Lost at Semi final stages in 06, final in 07, semis in 08 before winning 2 in a row in 09 and 10 and losing a final in 11.
losing to bray in the quarter final stages in 2012 was the earliest we had been knocked out in a long long time.Since the 1980s i believe (too young to remember) but we then came back and won three in a row. What other team in wicklow has done that in the last 20 years other than ourselves?
Hopefully when the big boys retire our younger guns stand up and some fresh talent comes through for us, i dont think we will ever be too far off. Unfortunately with the standard of football in this county they may be able to continue playing until their 40s and still compete in semis and finals.

SHONNIE38 (Wicklow) - 11/10/2017 02:36:43    2054560

Link

Replying To SHONNIE38:  "Can't argue with you there. Yes the experienced heads stood up and are a major contributing factor to us being in a county final this weekend and as a Rathnew supporter i would love to have them for another 10 years but Warren Kavanagh is in his early 20s and Playing a stormer all year.Ross O Brien, Jamie Snell , Jody Merrigan , Eddie Doyle, Theo Smyth, Graham Merrigan, Mark Doyle, John Manley, Gary Byrne are all in their 20s
The same was said around the county when the coffees, mernaghs, gills and the doyles retired. It was a different era and a different level of football back then but We were still there or there abouts as we rebuilt. Lost at Semi final stages in 06, final in 07, semis in 08 before winning 2 in a row in 09 and 10 and losing a final in 11.
losing to bray in the quarter final stages in 2012 was the earliest we had been knocked out in a long long time.Since the 1980s i believe (too young to remember) but we then came back and won three in a row. What other team in wicklow has done that in the last 20 years other than ourselves?
Hopefully when the big boys retire our younger guns stand up and some fresh talent comes through for us, i dont think we will ever be too far off. Unfortunately with the standard of football in this county they may be able to continue playing until their 40s and still compete in semis and finals."
shonnie.
back down to earth for a moment.
44 to 1970 24 years 1 title.
70 to 1970 7 years 1 title.
77 to 1995 17 years 1title.
95 to 2016 amazing success. history shows you are prone to baron spells.
baltinglass have a similar history .
between both clubs ye have won probably 80%
of the titles in the last 50 years..
only time will tell.
best of luck on Sunday may the best team win.

Namstap (Wicklow) - 11/10/2017 11:31:54    2054607

Link

Replying To Namstap:  "shonnie.
back down to earth for a moment.
44 to 1970 24 years 1 title.
70 to 1970 7 years 1 title.
77 to 1995 17 years 1title.
95 to 2016 amazing success. history shows you are prone to baron spells.
baltinglass have a similar history .
between both clubs ye have won probably 80%
of the titles in the last 50 years..
only time will tell.
best of luck on Sunday may the best team win."
Tell us the successful history of your own club patsman

Onlywayisup (Wicklow) - 11/10/2017 13:13:42    2054648

Link

Rathnew since 1994 have played in 19 finals and have won 15. Blessington are appearing in their first since 1988 and last won a title in 1983. I can't see past a Rathnew triumph on Sunday,

Wicklowman (Wicklow) - 13/10/2017 14:41:32    2055063

Link

No disrespect to Rathnew; their record is magnificent in reaching and winning county finals but I would like to see Blessington winning on Sunday. Blessington having being knocking on the door for a few years now and they finally reached the final; Rathnew will make life difficult for Blessington with the leaders they have in the team but I think Blessington have the talent to get over the line if they can't control the nerves. A new team winning the title will be good for football not only for Blessington but may give the county team some fresh injection of blood and talent. Here to a good final.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - 13/10/2017 19:21:21    2055128

Link

Not a bad game today given terrible conditions. Early goals cost Blessington the 2nd was a real killer the way it came.

Surprised boothman and Mickey O Connor were only subs for blesso. Would have expected them to start. Booth an very good when he came in but what has happened to o Connor who was a big star in th making a few year ago.

Though Leighton Glnn and Jim Stafford had huge difference. Stafford son great balls at the end when blesso were back in it. Glynn different class all through.

Not sure rathnew would have won it if a70 minute game. Looked leggy in second half and needed the old hands to win it for them. Next year could be Blessington I think.

Pat Mustard (None) - 15/10/2017 22:50:07    2055460

Link

What's everyone's thoughts on offaly?
Not impossible after two positive performances last year and the appointment of John Evans

WW9 (Wicklow) - 19/10/2017 21:16:52    2056358

Link