Westmeath Forum

Hurlers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Well folks. What's the outlook for our County hurlers in 2017.I see in today's Indo Breheney ranks us 13 with Offaly who we beat fourteen points in the championship at 10 and Kerry who we also beat comfortably in the championship at 11.Lazy journalists like him always pander to where they sell more newspapers but it just shows we are going to have to do what the minors and under 21s have done in the last two years to get any credit.

jobber (Westmeath) - 31/12/2016 14:58:09    1942480

Link

How are the hurlers fixed for the coming year - very little word coming about re challenges or who is on the panel etc

RoylerKing (Meath) - 05/01/2017 21:33:16    1943353

Link

Playing Antrim in Walsh cup Sunday which will be an interesting start.

jobber (Westmeath) - 06/01/2017 20:52:16    1943602

Link

I think the hurlers are really going to struggle this year, at all levels

minors drawn against Kilkenny in the championship, the lack of clamour among the bigger clubs to take over the reigns of teams shows what is thought of the minor and U21 teams

manfromdelmonte (UK) - 11/01/2017 16:27:24    1944906

Link

Replying To manfromdelmonte:  "I think the hurlers are really going to struggle this year, at all levels

minors drawn against Kilkenny in the championship, the lack of clamour among the bigger clubs to take over the reigns of teams shows what is thought of the minor and U21 teams"
I would agree that the minors are weak this year but the under 21 team should be very strong with twelve of those that beat Kilkenny last year still underage.The seniors performance against Antrim last Sunday was very poor.They were missing a lot of players but will need to up in the league.

jobber (Westmeath) - 11/01/2017 20:07:52    1944960

Link

Considering Jogger,Mcnicholas,The Raharney Doyles,Gallagher,Cormac Boyle,Liam Valley,Niall O Brien etc were all missing for one reason or another today's performance v Kilkenny was the best of the three Walsh cup games.Aonghus and Eoin found a bit of Form today and Clinton if he only applied himself could be high class..The corner backs especially Power did well,Craig was top class and Alan Cox did well.Joey Boyle is a real workhorse and Clinton and Devine are good forwards.We have serious potential if everyone commits but that's a big if!!

jobber (Westmeath) - 22/01/2017 21:43:43    1947911

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Considering Jogger,Mcnicholas,The Raharney Doyles,Gallagher,Cormac Boyle,Liam Valley,Niall O Brien etc were all missing for one reason or another today's performance v Kilkenny was the best of the three Walsh cup games.Aonghus and Eoin found a bit of Form today and Clinton if he only applied himself could be high class..The corner backs especially Power did well,Craig was top class and Alan Cox did well.Joey Boyle is a real workhorse and Clinton and Devine are good forwards.We have serious potential if everyone commits but that's a big if!!"
The Doyle's won't play much county adult hurling. They actually need a break from that as they are crocked

valley84 (Westmeath) - 23/01/2017 14:30:30    1948101

Link

Disappointing result today. Puts us under pressure from the beginning. Tom Ryan a very passionate and dedicated man but he must be getting tired of winnable games being lost

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - 12/02/2017 20:04:39    1955558

Link

Bad result today for the hurlers....its worrying.
Is things all ok in the camp because ye seem to have stalled from progress every year. When I seen the first walsh cup result against antrim this year, sonething I knew wasnt right. Is it the fact that westmeath won the 2a division last year proper and wernt let up straight away to 1 b be a factor, could be a lack of motivation playing in 2a again and I also notice players missing..niall o brien for example

preddan (Kildare) - 19/02/2017 15:47:37    1958240

Link

Replying To preddan:  "Bad result today for the hurlers....its worrying.
Is things all ok in the camp because ye seem to have stalled from progress every year. When I seen the first walsh cup result against antrim this year, sonething I knew wasnt right. Is it the fact that westmeath won the 2a division last year proper and wernt let up straight away to 1 b be a factor, could be a lack of motivation playing in 2a again and I also notice players missing..niall o brien for example"
Kildare were by far the better team.Westmeath were a shambles..We have to ask the question if we are spending a fortune on a top coach from Kilkenny what is he doing.We also have to ask where are Cormac Boyle,Liam Valley and Niall O Brien and say wtf are the management At?????

jobber (Westmeath) - 19/02/2017 21:15:28    1958413

Link

Big money and no return . We are lucky Brendan murtagh is still around or we we ould be a right mess

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - 19/02/2017 22:59:54    1958458

Link

The wheels have come off the wagon. Beating Offaly last year and the u21 win versus Kilkenny made us look better than we are. I don't think we will beat Meath this year in the McCarthy Cup because they are going really well.

On the other hand a Killkenny Senior All Ireland winner and a Limerick panellist from last year scored 1-10 between them against us today. Maybe we have to go down the same road to strengthen up the panel. I feel sorry for Ryan cause he is a passionate man and can't be much fun driving up from Waterford for that kind of return. The footballers took a lot of stick from lads saying that the hurlers were the only ones playing with pride and worth following but that seems to he gone out the window.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - 19/02/2017 23:39:20    1958466

Link

Replying To Jack_Sparrow:  "The wheels have come off the wagon. Beating Offaly last year and the u21 win versus Kilkenny made us look better than we are. I don't think we will beat Meath this year in the McCarthy Cup because they are going really well.

On the other hand a Killkenny Senior All Ireland winner and a Limerick panellist from last year scored 1-10 between them against us today. Maybe we have to go down the same road to strengthen up the panel. I feel sorry for Ryan cause he is a passionate man and can't be much fun driving up from Waterford for that kind of return. The footballers took a lot of stick from lads saying that the hurlers were the only ones playing with pride and worth following but that seems to he gone out the window."
I think we are in a right mess
Kildare with all these imports are deludeing themselves.The problem as I see it is Management are not coaching young players and allowing top players off the panel.The league is gone we have to best Armagh and London to stay up.If this expensive outfit doesnt get its act totgether we will be playing Christy Ring in 2018.

jobber (Westmeath) - 20/02/2017 07:45:30    1958500

Link

Well when you look at club scene over the weekend it really opens your eyes, 1st round of the league and 3 teams could not field a team. plunketts LLG and st, brigits. I think that says it all really.

wd45 (Westmeath) - 20/02/2017 10:18:41    1958557

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Kildare were by far the better team.Westmeath were a shambles..We have to ask the question if we are spending a fortune on a top coach from Kilkenny what is he doing.We also have to ask where are Cormac Boyle,Liam Valley and Niall O Brien and say wtf are the management At?????"
Cormac Boyle is with the footballers, Liam Varley left the panel, not sure about Niall O Brien, add in the absence of Nipper Dowdall, Paul Greville, Anthony Price,Cathal Scally and its not hard to see why we're in bother-the panel is not strong enough. There are players on the panel who would struggle to get their place on any of the top 5 senior club teams, no disrespect to them cos I admire any lad that trains hard and gives his time to the cause, but I can't understand how some of these lads are called in every year. Antrim and Carlow drawing opened the door but we closed it ourselves. They should use these last few league games to try a few things, I saw Shane McGovern play a fine game in the intermediate final last year as a midfielder and maybe he deserves a run out the field,especially as they have Carroll and Maloney for the goals, maybe some of the subs will put in a better work-rate if given the chance,of course we need to win the remaining games so we can't make too many changes.

stonemadbeany (USA) - 20/02/2017 20:50:13    1958892

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "Cormac Boyle is with the footballers, Liam Varley left the panel, not sure about Niall O Brien, add in the absence of Nipper Dowdall, Paul Greville, Anthony Price,Cathal Scally and its not hard to see why we're in bother-the panel is not strong enough. There are players on the panel who would struggle to get their place on any of the top 5 senior club teams, no disrespect to them cos I admire any lad that trains hard and gives his time to the cause, but I can't understand how some of these lads are called in every year. Antrim and Carlow drawing opened the door but we closed it ourselves. They should use these last few league games to try a few things, I saw Shane McGovern play a fine game in the intermediate final last year as a midfielder and maybe he deserves a run out the field,especially as they have Carroll and Maloney for the goals, maybe some of the subs will put in a better work-rate if given the chance,of course we need to win the remaining games so we can't make too many changes."
Of course you are right but how did Management allow all these top players go and where is the game plan not to mind plan b

jobber (Westmeath) - 21/02/2017 13:41:32    1959142

Link

Minor hurlers beaten by a much better Meath yesterday. Very worrying.
Meath looked very organised - all players kitted out in gear, camera recording the game, waterboys and hurley carriers and were much more skillful and direct in their hurling
Westmeath players had no gear and generally poor decisions by management during the game.
I'm not going to be critical of players, the lads tried their best

manfromdelmonte (UK) - 05/03/2017 09:35:21    1963742

Link

Good win today, hopefully they can kick on and be ready for champo.

JohnyDuncan (UK) - 05/03/2017 21:59:36    1964230

Link

Good result for the hurlers. Hopefully they will be back on track for the round robin. Paul Greville a huge boost to have on the panel.

thedodger (Westmeath) - 06/03/2017 10:11:40    1964379

Link

Wasn't at game in Cushendall but from all reports a decent performance.Maybe we can get it right for championship.

jobber (Westmeath) - 27/03/2017 20:48:22    1972027

Link