Westmeath Forum

County Minor Footballers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Our lads are up against Offaly this Sat 3pm in Tullamore.
I see Offaly had a big win over Wexford at the weekend.
How are our lads shaping up - I don't think they won many games in the league but open to correction.
This group won the Fr Manning at U16 level so can't be too bad - this was the team in 2015:
1. Tommy Finnegan
2. David Mullins
3. Paul Gorman
4. Tristan Johnson
5. James Maxwell
6. Joseph Moran
7. Darragh Monaghan
8. Luke Price
9. Ned Cully
10. Lorcan Daly
11. Adam Bradley
12. Leon Hynes
13. Ciaran Nolan
14. Sean Dowd
15. Daniel Heavin
I believe Ian Bradley has been with these lads since U14 so good to see some continuity.

BigSur (Westmeath) - 18/04/2017 14:51:19    1980469

Link

That was a big defeat for the the minors today. Offaly were a different class. Westmeath looked like a team who didn't play together before. I don't want to criticise young lads who do their best but it's disappointing to see us doing so poor at underage level the last 5/6 years.

Matthew (None) - 22/04/2017 19:59:37    1981749

Link

Very disappointed with the performance of the Westmeath minor team today. Strange decision to start a player who was not on the 24 listed on the programme. A player picked at full forward starts in the half back line. Only scored one point In the first half. Half way through the second before we scored again. Very poor at retaining possession. Constantly kicking the ball to Offaly players. Some players playing as individuals ad taking the complete wrong option when shooting. Team set up very defensive and didn't seem to have any method in attack. My concern with management is their failure to make an obvious adjustment needed in full back line. Offaly were ok with a couple of good forwards and counter attacked much better than Westmeath. They made a lot of basic mistakes though and their discipline is poor. Might be punished against better opposition.

loughree (Westmeath) - 22/04/2017 20:06:03    1981751

Link

Replying To loughree:  "Very disappointed with the performance of the Westmeath minor team today. Strange decision to start a player who was not on the 24 listed on the programme. A player picked at full forward starts in the half back line. Only scored one point In the first half. Half way through the second before we scored again. Very poor at retaining possession. Constantly kicking the ball to Offaly players. Some players playing as individuals ad taking the complete wrong option when shooting. Team set up very defensive and didn't seem to have any method in attack. My concern with management is their failure to make an obvious adjustment needed in full back line. Offaly were ok with a couple of good forwards and counter attacked much better than Westmeath. They made a lot of basic mistakes though and their discipline is poor. Might be punished against better opposition."
Loughree I think you are spot on , I seen a good few of there training sessions, and all they seem to work on is fitness. From talking to some guys involved, this is the norm. No football played at training, this would explain why we only scored 2 points from play today. Very disappointed for the players, but with a training plan that involved only running and no ball work, no system of play, no plan
In attack, what did we expect. There seemed to be a serious lack of basic ball skills and confidence in the side today which is worrying for a county minor team. Think we need better coaches being appointed at this level.

badger11 (Westmeath) - 22/04/2017 20:26:57    1981754

Link

Wasn't at game today and not one for criticising management. However, speaking to a panel member, not 1 football at training until 6 weeks ago. All gym and running prior to this. Last weekend had one day of 5 hour training and one day of 4 hour training. Surely training a week before championship should be tapering down, not 9 hours over 2 days! No good being able to bench press and squat if we get 1 point in 30 mins of football! Gaa has gone over the top on S&C!

Wmeath2 (Westmeath) - 22/04/2017 21:57:25    1981778

Link

resources should be put into hurling

valley84 (Westmeath) - 23/04/2017 09:45:14    1981813

Link

Looks like the manager pulling the players from playing in the first round of the u21 worked a treat...

the21yardline (Westmeath) - 23/04/2017 12:34:11    1981847

Link

Very hard for minors to get enough time together to gel as a team. On the skills side have this group not come through the development squad set up or is that group still to come?

wonit1time (Westmeath) - 23/04/2017 14:35:05    1981861

Link

I was at the game. Difficult to know what the game plan was. Westmeath had plenty of bodies back when defending but Offaly got through pretty easily by playing ball into their decent full forward line where there was obvious mismatches that never got rectified most noticeably No 2 on the Offaly No 13. Going forward Westmeath looked devoid of ideas. There was alot of over carrying of the ball and Offaly defended easily enough. Some of the execution of basic skills left alot to be desired. Not a good day at the office and difficult to see this team having anything other than a relatively short campaign even with the backdoor. In saying that that is 2 relatively easy wins for Offaly who looked a decent side and should be very competitive at the business end of the Leinster Championship granted my knowledge is limited. Does make you wonder was it really the best decision for Westmeath football to discard Brendan Hackett so quickly given the improvements made in Kildare at underage level. Westmeath have some very good players at senior level but they also need lads coming through to improve things. I have seen 2 Westmeath matches this year at underage level and the left both games not feeling overly optimistic in relation to talent coming through.

panamasam (Australia) - 23/04/2017 17:15:36    1981902

Link

Bad day at the office for our minors and it dosent look great for the future unless we make some changes.why were we playing so defensive while chasing the game.these lads looked like they never even played together before with mistake after mistake costing us to be turned over and punishe'd with scores.is our management team watching the same game as ourselves.surely there are changes that can be made when it's blatant that there are weak spots in this team.offaly had a few good forwards but they seemed to cut through our backs like they didn't exist.i have heard a few players from this team complaining that some of the lads playing Saturday hadn't been even turning up for all training sessions and still start.please don't let this rot set in to these teams as it has in the past and left players walking away from County football.if this is the case it should be addressed and dealt with. I wish these lads the best of luck in the next round but the management need to wake up and smell the coffee and make their changes quicker than they did on Saturday..

Begganlad (Westmeath) - 23/04/2017 18:24:58    1981927

Link

Replying To Begganlad:  "Bad day at the office for our minors and it dosent look great for the future unless we make some changes.why were we playing so defensive while chasing the game.these lads looked like they never even played together before with mistake after mistake costing us to be turned over and punishe'd with scores.is our management team watching the same game as ourselves.surely there are changes that can be made when it's blatant that there are weak spots in this team.offaly had a few good forwards but they seemed to cut through our backs like they didn't exist.i have heard a few players from this team complaining that some of the lads playing Saturday hadn't been even turning up for all training sessions and still start.please don't let this rot set in to these teams as it has in the past and left players walking away from County football.if this is the case it should be addressed and dealt with. I wish these lads the best of luck in the next round but the management need to wake up and smell the coffee and make their changes quicker than they did on Saturday.."
its funny how the likes of Jack Cooney can get a role with a senior club like Rhode, but our county board won't let him near a team!
a lot of people do not want to be involved when things are run so poorly across the whole county setup

luckily, next year most of the current top table will be gone and it will be interesting to see what changes there might be

valley84 (Westmeath) - 23/04/2017 22:02:30    1982004

Link

Replying To valley84:  "its funny how the likes of Jack Cooney can get a role with a senior club like Rhode, but our county board won't let him near a team!
a lot of people do not want to be involved when things are run so poorly across the whole county setup

luckily, next year most of the current top table will be gone and it will be interesting to see what changes there might be"
Well said..Jack cooney has proved he is capable of doing a job like this and knows his football..it's a shame our county board don't realise this besides sitting on their laurels and let our future footballers crumble around them.if this was dublin county board do you think they would sit back and watch this..I thought we were going to develop this squad and nurture them into our senior panel..with this kind of carry on it looks like we will always be second best..there's a lot done but a hell of a lot more to do.wake up westmeath!!!

Begganlad (Westmeath) - 23/04/2017 23:59:43    1982034

Link

Replying To valley84:  "its funny how the likes of Jack Cooney can get a role with a senior club like Rhode, but our county board won't let him near a team!

luckily, next year most of the current top table will be gone and it will be interesting to see what changes there might be"
We live in hope but i wouldnt hold my breath on it.....

Meridian (Westmeath) - 24/04/2017 10:31:21    1982119

Link

You would think that this happens. I think it would be great to see more former county players involved especially @ u16 and Minor level. Jack Cooney as mentioned, Paul Conway, John Keane, Fergal Wilson, Ger Heavin, Dermot Brady. I see David O'Shaughnessy is with the County U15 Development squad, which is good to see.

badger11 (Westmeath) - 24/04/2017 12:44:03    1982180

Link

Replying To badger11:  "You would think that this happens. I think it would be great to see more former county players involved especially @ u16 and Minor level. Jack Cooney as mentioned, Paul Conway, John Keane, Fergal Wilson, Ger Heavin, Dermot Brady. I see David O'Shaughnessy is with the County U15 Development squad, which is good to see."
It would be super for these lads to get more involved in some capacity. It takes a lot more than Inter County experience to make a good manager/coach though. Kids these days think they know everything and its not easy to get through to them and its not just in the GAA either. It certainly wouldnt guarantee success.

Meridian (Westmeath) - 25/04/2017 11:05:01    1982473

Link

Replying To Meridian:  "It would be super for these lads to get more involved in some capacity. It takes a lot more than Inter County experience to make a good manager/coach though. Kids these days think they know everything and its not easy to get through to them and its not just in the GAA either. It certainly wouldnt guarantee success."
Talented players don't mean that they will be talented managers,take Jack Cooney his managerial career has not been very strong,his strenght seems to be in coaching and strenght and conditioning,the same for John keane

footiemad (Westmeath) - 26/04/2017 10:17:31    1982781

Link

Replying To badger11:  "You would think that this happens. I think it would be great to see more former county players involved especially @ u16 and Minor level. Jack Cooney as mentioned, Paul Conway, John Keane, Fergal Wilson, Ger Heavin, Dermot Brady. I see David O'Shaughnessy is with the County U15 Development squad, which is good to see."
I think you're right about getting past players in, but from talking to some of them I think the county board are not helping , all these mentors/trainers have expenses which are not being covered by county board , the with the injured players

Moorehead (Westmeath) - 26/04/2017 10:19:48    1982784

Link

I think you're right about getting past players in, but from talking to some of them I think the county board are not helping , all these mentors/trainers have expenses which are not being covered by county board , the same with the injured players

Moorehead (Westmeath) - 26/04/2017 10:20:18    1982785

Link

Replying To footiemad:  "Talented players don't mean that they will be talented managers,take Jack Cooney his managerial career has not been very strong,his strenght seems to be in coaching and strenght and conditioning,the same for John keane"
Exactly. Some people just have the ability to connect with younger players and bring the best out of them. Luke Dempsey was a perfect example and he is someone i'd love to see getting back involved with Westmeath underage teams.

Meridian (Westmeath) - 26/04/2017 10:43:42    1982796

Link

Anybody have an idea of the team and their clubs?

kevdog (Westmeath) - 27/04/2017 11:14:24    1983088

Link