Meath Forum

Qualifiers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

O can't read anymore of the other thread so I'm starting a new one to discuss the rest of the campaign, however long or short it may be.

First place to start is tomorrow mornings draw.
We know 7/8 teams, the last one will be Tyrone or donegal later today.

The teams we can get are,
Derry - home advantage
Laois - home or away
Sligo - home or away
Longford - home or away

To be honest there's only one g a me that interests me there, and that's Derry. They are the biggest name there, we are familiar with them, we business to finish after last July, we'd be at home and the result would be a fair marker to judge against last year.

Team wise, Wallace out for o'cuillean, toher swap with Jones and mcentee in for jones. Burke back in corner with conlon in for tobin.
Move biggy to 11 and sullivan to 10.

Jinxie (Meath) - Posts: 6342 - 18/06/2017 12:01:57    2001054

Link

Replying To Jinxie:  "O can't read anymore of the other thread so I'm starting a new one to discuss the rest of the campaign, however long or short it may be.

Derry - home advantage
Laois - home or away
Sligo - home or away
Longford - home or away

To be honest there's only one g a me that interests me there, and that's Derry. They are the biggest name there, we are familiar with them, we business to finish after last July, we'd be at home and the result would be a fair marker to judge against last year.

Team wise, Wallace out for o'cuillean, toher swap with Jones and mcentee in for jones. Burke back in corner with conlon in for tobin.
Move biggy to 11 and sullivan to 10."
pretty much agree with your selections. i said elsewhere that cillian is more suited to the wing. wally needs to go,ruairi in. if toher is fit,start him with menton. jones good sub option.start conlon at 6,tobin though is suited to wing back,would put him there and leave out shane. would look at newman if fit.

but we need to show the effort,workrate and teamwork that we were showing prior to the game last night.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 18/06/2017 13:16:51    2001077

Link

Why would we have home advantage over Derry. I thought it would only be the case if we were playing Louth again, had they have beaten Longford. Derry away would be the worst outcome. Home game would be fine though. Whether we play home or away, it would be better for the supporters if the game was in Leinster.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 18/06/2017 13:53:20    2001091

Link

Who can you lads get ?

You cant get the loser of Donegal/Tyrone and Mayo yet can ye ?

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 18/06/2017 14:09:25    2001101

Link

Here is a first stab at a team for the qualifiers, we do need changes and some of the players on the fringes need to be given a chance

Paddy O'Rourke (still best option imho but needs a better kickout strategy)
Keoghan (his best position)
McGill
Burke
D. Tobin
Power
Harnan
Menton
C. O'Brien( Jones still one for the futue)
A. Douglas (act as a 3rd midfielder)
M. Newman (if fit)
R. O'Coillean
C. O'Sullivan
G. Reilly (he's our captain & should start)
D. Lenihan
A. Douglas(play as 3rd midfielder)
M. Newman(if fit)
R. O.Coileann (must start after yesterday)

I also would be much quicker to make changes not like yesterday. Conlon, and James and Shanes Entee, Sean Tobin and Toher there or therabouts.

oldsam_newsam (Meath) - Posts: 638 - 18/06/2017 15:22:37    2001141

Link

Personally I'd persist with Jones. Needs the next game to bring him on. Has a big future with us. I'd agree that O'Coileáin for Wallace is a must however and bringing Conlon in at CHB is a good shout with Shane McEntee being sacrificed. Donnacha Tobin is not a corner back and was badly exposed yesterday. He has played his best football for Meath at wing back.

McMahon was obviously well outmuscled by the Kildare defence but could easily run riot against weaker opposition. Lyons dragged him around the park with little resistance. The forwards in general were all over the place so I can see a few changes here with O'Reilly, Newman and even Sean Tobin pushing for a start. O'Sullivan on the wing might be a positive move too.

We're still a work in progress under the new management and I cite the Kildare team of 2016 in reassuring myself. Whoever we draw will be no pushover. It's a mental challenge as much as anything else.

Not usually one to name teams but all things considered for the next game mine would be:

1. O'Rourke
2. Keogan
3. McGill
4. Burke
5. Harnan
6. Conlon
7. D Tobin
8. Menton
9. Jones
10. O'Sullivan
11. O'Coileáin
12. Biggy
13. O'Reilly
14. Newman
15. Lenihan

Subs: choose from Toher, S McEntee, J McEntee, McMahon, E Wallace, S Tobin, Flanagan, C O'Brien, Douglas.

MarkMyWords (Meath) - Posts: 498 - 18/06/2017 15:23:16    2001142

Link

Replying To Jinxie:  "O can't read anymore of the other thread so I'm starting a new one to discuss the rest of the campaign, however long or short it may be.

Derry - home advantage
Laois - home or away
Sligo - home or away
Longford - home or away

I was thinking the same thing Jinxie ...i was nearly tempted to make a "Bring Back Peadar Byrne " thread ...but i think its to soon for one of them :)

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 876 - 18/06/2017 16:32:28    2001198

Link

Replying To GlasagusOr:  "Why would we have home advantage over Derry. I thought it would only be the case if we were playing Louth again, had they have beaten Longford. Derry away would be the worst outcome. Home game would be fine though. Whether we play home or away, it would be better for the supporters if the game was in Leinster."
Oh well maybe I'm wrong. I was wrong once before. Dunno why I thought there'd be a reversal.

Jinxie (Meath) - Posts: 6342 - 18/06/2017 17:36:40    2001229

Link

We have bigger problems to worry about :)

The players need all our support now (none of us want another short summer), so a game at or close to home would help.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 18/06/2017 18:10:46    2001253

Link

My Team would be 1 Paddy o Rourke , 2 Donal Keoghan 3. Conor McGill . 4 Mickey Burke , 5Alan Douglas 6, Padraig Harnan ,7 Donn Tobin . 8 Bryan Menton 9 Adam Flanagan 10 Ruairi Coileain 11 Ronan Jones 12 Graham Reilly 13 Donal Leninhan, 14 Micky Newman 15 Cillian O Sullivan

Bear10 (Meath) - Posts: 463 - 18/06/2017 18:17:16    2001258

Link

I am going to try a make a stab at this see can i guess who will play who !

Sligo(h) v Donegal(A)

Mayo(h) v Longford(A)

Clare(h) v Laois(A)

Derry(h) v Meath(A)

I could be way out after tomorrow morning ..

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 876 - 18/06/2017 18:18:25    2001259

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "Who can you lads get ?

You cant get the loser of Donegal/Tyrone and Mayo yet can ye ?"
No its either
Derry
Sligo
Laois
Longford
As far as I know its a seperate draw for home advantage

seadog54 (Meath) - Posts: 2142 - 18/06/2017 19:25:54    2001312

Link

Derry - home advantage
Laois - home or away
Sligo - home or away
Longford - home or away

Actually that is possibly the most sensible team we could put out.
Mcentee wont make too many changes.
Dust down. Kildare game is over. Time to show it was a outlier.
I want Derry, best team in it, then I want mayo. But lets start with Derry.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 18/06/2017 19:31:53    2001317

Link

Replying To WhyTheLongFace:  "I am going to try a make a stab at this see can i guess who will play who !

Sligo(h) v Donegal(A)

Mayo(h) v Longford(A)

Clare(h) v Laois(A)

Derry(h) v Meath(A)

I could be way out after tomorrow morning .."
knowing our luck we will have to travel to Derry again. we should and will beat all them teams in first round

meath1977 (Meath) - Posts: 534 - 18/06/2017 19:32:23    2001318

Link

Replying To meath1977:  "knowing our luck we will have to travel to Derry again. we should and will beat all them teams in first round"
Would still like a home draw

seadog54 (Meath) - Posts: 2142 - 18/06/2017 19:52:24    2001336

Link

Replying To meath1977:  "knowing our luck we will have to travel to Derry again. we should and will beat all them teams in first round"
We won't get a home game anyway ...i would bet my life savings on it !

Same with the Meath v Kildare match original fixed for croke park..I can understand why Andy wanted the game in croke park because Kildare don't play well under Cian O'neill at head quarters! Kildare look like a decent enough Junior B team when they play head quarters !

Interestly enough Kildare people knew on the Wednesday 5 day before Meath v Louth and kildare v laois that if it was Meath v Kildare in the semi final that it was going to be played in Tullamore ! Meath county board weren't told this until Sunday ? It was always in Kildare interest not to play this match at croke park !

Anyway it will be away game to Derry...if we get over that it will be away game to Mayo or Donegal provided that the Gaa picks who better suited to giving us a Greater beating !

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 876 - 18/06/2017 20:33:51    2001364

Link

Replying To WhyTheLongFace:  "We won't get a home game anyway ...i would bet my life savings on it !

Same with the Meath v Kildare match original fixed for croke park..I can understand why Andy wanted the game in croke park because Kildare don't play well under Cian O'neill at head quarters! Kildare look like a decent enough Junior B team when they play head quarters !

Interestly enough Kildare people knew on the Wednesday 5 day before Meath v Louth and kildare v laois that if it was Meath v Kildare in the semi final that it was going to be played in Tullamore ! Meath county board weren't told this until Sunday ? It was always in Kildare interest not to play this match at croke park !

Anyway it will be away game to Derry...if we get over that it will be away game to Mayo or Donegal provided that the Gaa picks who better suited to giving us a Greater beating !"
very true and a cavan ref last night yes the better team won but cos was hit with a shoulder heading in for goal in first half no free second half early stages Shane mc entee great shoulder to one of Kildare men free in and a lot other soft frees to Kildare

meath1977 (Meath) - Posts: 534 - 18/06/2017 20:54:40    2001378

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Actually that is possibly the most sensible team we could put out.
Mcentee wont make too many changes.
Dust down. Kildare game is over. Time to show it was a outlier.
I want Derry, best team in it, then I want mayo. But lets start with Derry."
Oh yes royaldunne andy mcentee couldnt have made an error in his selections. Only 5 goals conceded in two games and none scored. A little tweak just to keep the punters happy. But all is good in the Meath camp and we expect to win all our games otherwise we wouldnt even go along at all.

Well here is one cookie not happy with the dross served up last night in Tullamore and the sideline response was pretty pathetic to be honest. I am hoping for changes somewhere on he line of what I have suggested not a couple of players swapped in a shifting of deckchairs titanic style.

oldsam_newsam (Meath) - Posts: 638 - 18/06/2017 21:04:42    2001390

Link

Replying To seadog54:  "No its either
Derry
Sligo
Laois
Longford
As far as I know its a seperate draw for home advantage"
cool. thanks seadog

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 18/06/2017 21:23:44    2001402

Link

Fitness is going to be key. Don t know what's going on but some of our guys were a century off the pace last night. Do not want to draw Longford or Clare. Spells danger.

ClonardGael (Meath) - Posts: 75 - 18/06/2017 21:52:27    2001429

Link