SFC Quarter-final: Hanlon double does it for Gaeil Colmcille

September 06, 2015

Keith Reilly Gaeil Colmcille has his run halted by Stephen Corrigan Wolfe Tones during the hoganstand.com Meath SFC quarter final at Pairc Tailteann

Gaeil Colmcille  2-7
Wolfe Tones  0-12

Brian Hanlon's 55th minute goal earned Gaeil Colmcille a minimum margin hoganstand.com SFC quarter-final win over neighbours Wolfe Tones at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday afternoon.

Hanlon's close range strike at the town end proved to be the decisive score of the game with sub Ryan Farnham providing the assist. It levelled matters at 2-6 to 0-12.

The 54th minute sub might have gone alone but his choice was validated with a well-taken goal by his prolific team mate. Hanlon quickly put Gaeil Colmcille in front for the first time with what proved to be the match-winning score and bring his tally to 2-4.

Solid defending and a degree of wastefulness by Wolfe Tones, who had seven second-half wides at the old swimming pool end, saw Gaeil Colmcille through to a semi-final meeting with Na Fianna, who they defeated in the Feis Cup final.

Heading into the final quarter, Wolfe Tones looked good for a 'semi' spot when leading by three points, 0-11 to 1-5. However, they were unfortunate to see two Cian Ward frees rebound off an upright.

The latter began the move that led to Niall O'Reilly pointing to leave it 0-12 to 1-6 with just over five minutes of the hour to go. However, it proved to bee the 'Tones final score.

Gordon Ward's men bossed the opening quarter to lead by 0-4 to 0-1 after 14 minutes. Cian Ward got them off the mark after 49 seconds when placed by his brother Fiachra.

The elder Ward landed a 45-metre free before Brian Hanlon got the Kells-men off the mark from a fifth minute free.

Wolfe Tones responded with a brace of points from Niall O'Reilly and Fiachra Ward, the latter a goal chance that blazed over at the town end.

The 'Tones moved three points clear in the second quarter on two occasions. The first, coutesy of O'Reilly; the second thanks to Cian Ward's 27th minute free that left it 0-7 to 0-4.

Lar Wall's men struck their first goal in the 27th minute, 1-4 to 0-7, to level matters for the second time. Cormac Ferguson and Martin Barrett played key supporting roles for Hanlon's first-three pointer.

Thomas O'Reilly was Wolfe Tones most impressive forward and his third point of the first-half left Gordon Ward's charges ahead by the minimum, 0-8 to 1-4, at the interval.

Within 50 seconds of resumption Wolfe Tones' experienced wing-back Niall McLoughlin blazed wide with a goal on. An Alan Fox point provided a measure of compensation.

Wolfe Tones continued to press on with Hanlon's opening goal providing a lifeline to Gaeil Colmcille, who eventually availed of to prevail.

Gaeil Colmcille - Justin Carry Lynch; Cormac Ferguson, Robbie Flanagan, Liam Ferguson; Paul Tormay, Barry Tormay (C), Seanie Curran; Barry Smith, Keith Reilly; Seamus Mattimoe (0-2 1f), Martin Barrett, Cormac Keegan (0-1); Oisin Reilly, Brian Hanlon (2-4, 0-2 fs), Stevie McManus. Subs - Mickey Foley for Barrett (37), Stephen Reddy for Keegan (47), Fionn Reilly for McManus (49), Ryan Farnham for Reilly (54).

Wolfe Tones - David Nolan; Daniel O'Neill, Stephen Sheppard, David Coleman; Niall McLoughlin, Shane Glynn (C) (0-1), Eanna Harrington; Stephen Corrigan, Niall O'Reilly (0-2); Alan Callaghan, Cian Ward (0-3, 2fs), Paul Byrne; Alan Fox (0-1), Fiachra Ward (0-1), Thomas O'Reilly (0-4, 1f). Sub - Brughan O Fionnagain for Fox (55).

Referee - Padraic Coyle (Seneschalstown)

Most Read Stories