'Gaz' saves Ultans

April 23, 2002
A last gasp penalty save from converted midfielder Gary Rogers gave St Ultans their first intermediate championship points with a deserved 0-16 to 3-5 victory over Moynalvey. In an amazing thrill a minute encounter at Kilmessan both sides enjoyed periods of dominance. As in their opening encounter with Syddan the winners blew hot and cold throughout. Ultans played against the wind in the opening period and soon found themselves 1-3 to 0-0 in arrears with burly full forward Ollie Regan getting the goal. It took the Bohermeen men all of 16 minutes to find the target but once Alan Ball raised the first white flag the flood gates opened. By half time Ultans had raced 0-8 to 1-3 clear and increased their margin to 4 points shortly after the resumption. It appeared only a matter of how much St Ultans would eventually win by. But the south county club introduced Damien Dixon and suddenly the tide of battle began to flow towards the Bohermeen goals. Denis O Shea started to move forward from his centre half back berth and at last John Donoghue started to come to life around midfield. Every time Moynalvey surged forward they appeared capable of scoring goals even with the introduction of former county star Colm Coyle to steady a light weight Ultans defence. Ciaran Collins made it 0-11 to 2-4 and later Brian Gilsenan put his side back in pole position, 3-4 over 0-12. Ultans again came alive and despite some anxious moments just held on in that exciting finish. The winners had 3 heroes. Gary Rogers had been a star soccer keeper with Drogheda all season but for long stages was the most impressive midfielder on view. And then of course, he went in goals to save John Donoghues penalty. The winners attack was most impressive at times and especially along the right flank. Here right half Eugene Brady and right full Ball ran their immediate opponents ragged all evening. Brady shot 5 glorious points from play while Ball weighed in with 0-6, half of these from placed balls!

Most Read Stories