SFC quarters: Barrett's five the difference as Na Fianna hit Moynalvey for seven

September 14, 2013

Na Fianna's Conor Downey with Padraic Harnan of Moynalvey during the hoganstand.com SFC quarter final at Pairc Tailteann
Shane Barrett bagged an incredible 5-4 as Na Fianna's outscored Moynalvey with an impressive display in this hoganstand.com SFC quarter-final at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday evening.

Na Fianna ....... 7-10
Moynalvey ....... 2-10

The meeting of the last two winners of the IFC promised much but delivered more. Brave defending on both sides prevented the goal tally from getting into double figures.

Barrett - whose full-time soccer career was ended through injury two years ago - scored four goals in the opening half while the hour was almost up when he struck his fifth. To their credit, Moynalvey rallied from the resumption and were just five points off the pace, 2-9 to 4-8, by the 47th minute.

They might have got closer to the newly promoted side but William Harnan saw his 51st minute saved by Na Fianna netminder Shane Geraghty. Midfielder Donal Smith closed the Moynalvey account just before O'Sullivan had another goal attempt stopped.

A memorable night for Na Fianna was enhanced with Barrett's fifth goal while substitute Harrison Silke completed the tally with an injury time penalty awarded for a foul on Brian Queeney.

A mobile Na Fianna brought their tally to 12 goals over successive SFC outings and benefitted greatly from playing nominal full-forward in a sweeper role, while number 15 Dalton McDonagh dropped deep when required.

Within 75 seconds of the throw-in Shane Barrett had the ball in the Moynalvey net when getting a fist to a Jamie Queeney delivery. The Na Fianna number 9 started the mover with fine fetch at midfield.

Moynalvey made quick work of eating into the arrears. Points from Anthony Forde and Donal Smith left just the minimum in it by the sixth minute. Two pointed Barrett frees moved Na Fianna a goal clear by the 11th minute. In between those scores Na Fianna 'keeper Shane Geraghty brilliantly blocked William Harnan's close range goal attempt.

Cillian O'Sullivan's accuracy from play and frees helped Moynalvey get back on level terms, 0-5 to 1-2, midway through the half.It wasn't the prelude to a close second quarter as Na Fianna kicked-on with Shane Barrett adding a further three goals to his tally. His second came from a 19th minute penalty. His third came four minutes later.

But for the efforts of Moynalvey 'keeper Giles Drumm and defender Anthony Forde, Na Fianna might have netted shortly after.

In the 27th minute William Harnan was denied a goal by his opposite number Tommy Cosgrove at the edge of the Na Fianna small square. When the ball was moved upfield Barrett was on hand to bag his fourth goal.

Points from Barrett and Jamie Queeney left it 4-5 to 0-5. A scoring sequence that yielded 3-3 was halted when Moynalvey's John Donoghue netted a penalty in stoppage time to leave nine points in it at the break.

Spurred on by an Anthony Forde point shortly after proceedings resumed, Moynalvey chipped away at the deficit. Spurred on by sub Ray Ryan's 44th minute goal from close range they got the gap down to five points by the 47th minute. As well as providing the assist for that goal Cillian O'Sullivan pitched in with two further points (one free).

That was as good as it got for Ian Kearney's men as Na Fianna closed in on a semi-final joust with Wolfe Tones with those aforementioned late brace of goals.

Na Fianna - Shane Geraghty; Diarmuid Bailey, Christy Cosgrave, John Baldwin; Michael Farley (0-1), Michael Foley, Dean Henrick (0-2); Ollie Lewis, Jamie Queeney (0-1); Daniel Queeney (1-1), Dean Barrett (0-1), Conor Downey; Shane Barrett (5-4, 0-3 fs), Tommy Cosgrove, Dalton McDonagh. Subs - Brian Queeney for D Barrett (55), Harrison Silke (1-0 pen) for S Barrett.

Moynalvey - Giles Drumm; Robbie Kiernan, Paul Weldon, Padraig Donoghue; Darren Brennan, Stephen Donoghue, Anthony Forde (0-2); Padraig Harnan, Donal Smith (0-2); John Donoghue (1-0 pen), Ciaran Ennis, Barry O'Keefe; Cillian O'Sullivan (0-6, 0-3fs), William Harnan, David Donoghue. Subs - Ray Ryan (1-0) for D Donoghue (ht), James Kelly for O'Keefe (42), Ken Hyland for Ennis (53).

Referee - David Coldrick (Blackhall Gaels)

Most Read Stories