SFC: Two point win for Skryne in Ashbourne

June 01, 2013

Skryne's Paddy O'Rourke
Skryne 0 - 11
St. Patrick's 1 - 6

Having been defeated in their last championship match, Skryne went to Ashbourne with a must-win game against St Patrick's on their mind.

From the start the Tara men went about achieving the required result with the approach that they are famed for and on 6 minutes they eventually got their first score with a point from a Mark Battersby free. Paddy O'Rourke, lining out at full forward, pushed them further ahead with a further brace of points one from a 45 meter free.

St Patricks pulled two back on the 12th and 17th minute but O'Rourke pointed another 45 on 19 minutes and Battersby made it 0 - 5 to 0 -2 with 21 minutes gone. St Patrick's drew the game level with a movement the length of the pitch which rewarded them with the only goal of the game with six minutes of the half remaining. However half-back Ronan McCabe, who had tracked forward, found himself with some space and scored the last point of the half to leave the score at the break Skryne 0 - 6, St Patrick's 1 - 2.

The second period was only two minutes old when St Patrick's leveled the proceedings again. Both side then missed some chances to take the lead but on 41 minutes O'Rourke punished a foul with a further point from the resultant free. Battersby and Brian Davis brought the difference to three points with the game entering the final quarter.

St Patrick's were not through yet and upped their game in an attempt to preserve their 100% record in this year's championship. They fired over two more points on 50 and 52 minutes to leave a grand stand final eight minutes.

They had a chance of a goal, which would probably have sealed victory for them, but Skryne full back Martin Mulvaney, got down to block the shot and won the ball for a good clearance. Then Jamie Jordan won a good ball close to the corner and worked his way in to extend the lead to two points.

St. Patrick's had chances to pull the game back but as time ebbed away their shooting let them down. Skryne also had a number of chances to clench the match but with 2 minutes added on time on the clock, Ian Davis posted the last score of the game to leave the final score Skryne 0 - 11, St. Patrick's 1 - 6.

Skryne: F. O'Rourke, D. Brennan, M.Mulvaney, D. Morley, C. Lenehan, D. McGoldrick, R. McCabe(1), A. Tuite, H. Rooney, P. Fox, M. Battersby (3, 1F), I. Davis(1), K. Mulvaney, P.O'Rourke(4F), B. Davis(1).

Subs: J. Jordan(1) for McGoldrick, C. O'Brien for Tuite.

Most Read Stories