SFC: O'Mahonys outclass Moynalvey

April 19, 2013

O'Mahony's Brian Dillon with Moynalvey's Mark O'Sullivan during the hoganstand.com SFC clash at Skryne.
Navan O'Mahonys opened the defence of their hoganstand.com SFC title with an easy win over Moynalvey in this Group A fixture at Skryne on Friday evening.

O'Mahonys ....... 0-15
Moynalvey ........ 0-5

O'Mahonys took the initiative from the off and posted two points in the opening four minutes. They were never subsequently reeled by game opponents who were short some first choice players.

Seven different players registered for David Nelson's charges as 13 of the winners' scores came from play.

Jake Regan with five points (including one excellent first-half free) was O'Mahonys' top scorer.
Shane Gillespie sent over three times in the first 30 minutes when the Keegan Cup holders had the setting sun at their backs.

Stephen Bray had the game's best two goal chances, both in the first period. He hit the bar with his first attempt in the 18th minute. His second was bravely blocked by Moynalvey full-back Padraig Harnan eight minutes later.

No Moynalvey forward got on the scoresheet from play while Ciaran Ennis accounted for three of his side's points from frees.

Five points in arrears after 23 minutes, Ian Kearney's charges had their best spell in the lead-in to half-time. All they had to show was an Ennis pointed free for their efforts.

O'Mahonys led by 0-7 to 0-3 at the break and resumed with another Jake Regan point with Kevin Reilly's forward sortee providing the assist.

It was the county captain's first SFC outing for the club since the second round of last year's campaign, 50 weeks ago. He marked the occasion with an impressive showing.

Along with Shane Crosby they formed a strong central defensive spine for O'Mahonys. The ten minutes after the resumption saw Ennis hit the post with a free-kick before centre-half-back Paul Weldon registered his side's second and final score from play.

That left just four points in it, 0-4 to 0-8, after 38 minutes. O'Mahonys tagged on seven points in a row before Ennis closed the scoring near the end.

Points from David Bray and Paddy Smyth (two) saw O'Mahonys accelerate into the distance leaving Moynalvey - who were without Anthony Forde and Cillian O'Sullivan - in their wake.

It was 0-11 to 0-4 heading into the final quarter during which time midfielder Damien Moran, wing-back Brian Dillon and sub Henry Finnegan (free) got off the mark for the Brews Hill outfit.

Jake Regan's pointed free from about 50-metres was one of the highlights of the first-half and was soon followed in the eighth minute by a Mark O'Sullivan effort from play that's worthy of mention.

That score left just two points in it, 0-1 to 0-3, after eight minutes. Despite their best efforts, Moynalvey - who put up 0-16 when losing by a goal to Donaghmore-Ashbourne in the opening round of the SFC at this venue exactly a year ago - never got as close to the champions again.

O'Mahonys - Marcas Brennan; Niall McKeigue, Kevin Reilly, Ian Matthews; Brian Dillon (0-1), Shane Crosby, Gary O'Brien; Barry Regan, Damien Moran (0-1); Shane Gillespie (0-3), Paddy Smyth (0-2), David Bray (0-2); Jake Regan (0-5, 1f), Stephen Bray, Stephen MacGabhann. Subs - Henry Finnegan (0-1f) for S Bray (39), Darragh Maguire for Barry Regan (51).

Moynalvey - Ollie Regan; Robbie Kiernan, Padraig Harnan, Barry O'Keefe; Mark O'Sullivan (0-1), Paul Weldon (0-1), Daragh Branagan; John Donoghue, Donal Smith; Stephen Donoghue, Padraig Donoghue, Darragh Brennan; James Weldon, Willie Harnan, Ciaran Ennis (0-3 fs). Subs - Ken Hyland for W Harnan (19), Brendan Dixon for Branagan (30), David Donoghue for Smith (42), Brian Harnan for P Donoghue (42).

Referee - Colm McManus (Gaeil Colmcille).

Most Read Stories