IFC: Moynalvey power past St Ultan's

June 10, 2011

Cillian O'Sullivan had a scintillating personal second half performance for Moynalvey.
Moynalvey 2-12
St. Ultans 0-12

Moynalvey secured their third win in as many outings in the Intermediate Football Championship with a 2-12 to 0-12 victory over St. Ultans at Walterstown on Thursday evening June 9th.

Moynalvey maintained their unbeaten run in the Intermediate Football Championship, while also guaranteeing progression to the knockout stages of the competition with this well deserved six point victory. St. Ultans were left stunned as Moynalvey got off to a whirlwind start which laid the foundation for this victory, when finding the back of the net with their first two attacks in the opening three minutes.

The first green flag was raised when full forward Ciaran Collins expertly dispatched to the corner of the net after reading the bounce of a high ball in behind an Ultans defender, and the second came when Cillian O'Sullivan fielded a high ball in and laid it off to Ray Ryan who finished. St. Ultans opened their account in the 7th minute and added a second point a minute later. Centre half back Barry O'Keefe registered Moynalvey's first point of the evening in the 10th minute. Sixty seconds later Moynalvey were unlucky not to find the net for a third time when a powerful run along the sideline from Dan Treacy set up Ryan, who's effort narrowly cleared the cross bar for Moynalvey's second point. With a quarter of the game elapsed St. Ultans closed the deficit to three points with the score line reading 2-2 to 0-5. However this was as close as the Bohermeen men got to their opponents throughout the game. A brace apiece from Daniel Treacy and substitute Mark O'Sullivan sent Moynalvey into a 2-6 to 0-7 half time lead.

Sixty seconds into the second period it was more of the same from the men in maroon and white when Cillian O'Sullivan opened his account for the evening. Ray Ryan pointed the first Moynalvey free of the evening in the 42nd minute after Dan Treacy was fouled along the end line. Three quarters way through the game Cillian O'Sullivan fired over his second of the evening leaving the score line reading 2-9 to 0-9. Sixty seconds later tenacious tackling from the Moynalvey forward unit resulted in the Ultans defence being penalised for an over carrying infringement, with Ryan duly dispatching the resulting free kick to leave the two goals between the sides once again. In the 51st minute Barry O'Keefe won possession in the half back line and after playing the ball forward, he later ended up at the end of the move to send over his second point of the evening. County minor Cillian O'Sullivan rounded off a scintillating personal second half performance when hitting Moynalvey's final score of the evening in the 59th minute.

This excellent performance sees Moynalvey maintain their unbeaten championship run, while also ensuring progression to the knockout stages of the championship before going into their final group game against Clann Na nGael. Best performers for Moynalvey were Barry O'Keefe, Stephen Donoghue, Willie Byrne and Cillian O'Sullivan.

Moynalvey: O. Regan, R. Kiernan, P. Weldon, P. Donoghue, D. Donoghue, B .O'Keefe (0-2), W. Mahady, S. Donoghue, B. Conneely, D. Treacy (0-2), J. Donoghue, W. Byrne, R. Ryan (1-3), C. Collins (1-0), C. O'Sullivan (0-3). Subs: M. O'Sullivan (0-2) for Collins, P. Conneely for B. Conneely.

St Ultans - Robert Daly, Jason Bennett, Kieran Lynch, Ciaran Timmons, Darren Mallon, Robert Duffy, Darren Costello, Paul Murray, Richie Lynagh, Gearoid Rennicks, Tomas Coyne, Daryl Mc Loughlin, Alan Rogers, Cian Rennicks, Shane Mulroe. Subs - Derek O'Brien for McLoughlin, Aaron Smith for Mulroe.

Most Read Stories