Meath SFC final: Sheridans secure Seneschalstown silverware

November 05, 2009

Seneschalstown captain Ciaran Macken raises the Keegan Cup at Pairc Talteann
Seneschalstown 2-8 Wolfe Tones 1-8 The first ever Meath SFC final to be played midweek and under floodlights was decided by two first-half goals inside a minute at the start of the second quarter as Seneschalstown saw off a strong rally from 14-man Wolfe Tones in the Commons Hardware SFC final replay at Pairc Tailteann on Thursday night. Brian and Joe Sheridan were goalscorers as Seneschalstown claimed the Keegan Cup for the second time in three years and fourth in all. However, the Yellow Furze side had to withstand a late rally from Wolfe Tones which almost forced extra time but for an excellent save from 'keeper David Lyons from Gordon Beggy's last goal attempt. Midfielder Damien Sheridan capped a hard-grafting hour by taking the Colum Cromwell Award as man-of-the match. The biggest talking point of the game was the dismissal of Wolfe Tones 'keeper David Nolan by referee Joey Curley just before the second-half commenced. Nolan appeared to clash with Joe Sheridan as the teams left the pitch for the interval which was reached with Seneschalstown leading 2-4 to 0-3 having played with the slight wind blowing towards the town goal. The margin was down to a goal by the 52nd minute when Cian Ward slipped the ball to the Seneschalstown net but Lyons made a brave attempt to keep the low shot out only managed to tip the ball onto the post. Wolfe Tones might have done better by taking their points earlier in the half and finished with 13 wides to Seneschalstown's ten on a fine night for football. A trademark point from wing-back Mark Carey closed Seneschalstown's account in the 58th minute. Despite pressing forward in the time remaining that included nearly four minutes of stoppage time all the 'Tones managed was a Ward sixth point of the evening from a placed ball. Seneschalstown were forced to line out without Brian Clarke - who picked up a hamstring in the drawn game - with Robert Ruddy starting instead. Wolfe Tones bossed the early exchanges but had nothing to show for their efforts and it was Brian Sheridan who broke the deadlock in the seventh minute. Cian Ward spurned a great chance to put the 'Tones in front in the 14th minute but sent a penalty kick - awarded for a tug on the competition's top scorer by Andrew Collins - over the bar. That was the only occasion that the scores were tied. Seneschalstown kicked on with 2-3 in an eight-minute spell to lead by 2-4 to 0-1 after 22 minutes. The first goal arrived in the 16th minute when Brian Sheridan connected with a sideline kick from his brother Joe and fisted the leather to the net. From the restart the latter player - who by now was operating at full-forward - collected a delivery from elder brother Damien and it was 2-2 to 0-1. Scores from Darren McGrath and Stephen Corrigan cut the deficit to seven points by half-time. Sean Power replaced Nolan in the 'Tones goal while McGrath was withdrawn from the attack before the second-half commenced. Points from Joe Sheridan and Ruddy left it 2-6 to 0-5 heading into the last quarter and things looked done and dusted. However the later Wolfe Tones rally ensured the large crowd - reckoned to be 1,000 up on Sunday's drawn game - were treated to a grand finale. Seneschalstown - D. Lyons; P. Carey, A. Collins, G. Sheridan; M. Carey (0-1), J. Cowley, S. Sheridan; J. Sheridan (1-2), D. Sheridan; G. Conlon (0-1), C. Macken, S. Finnegan; S. Clarke (0-1, f), R. Ruddy (0-1), B. Sheridan (1-2). Subs - T. Ledwidge for S. Clarke (47), C. Duffy for S. Sheridan (53), B. Clarke for Ruddy (58). Wolfe Tones - D. Nolan; R. Brady, C. McLoughlin, C. Martin; B. McGinn, E. Harrington, G. Beggy; S. Corrigan (0-1), S. Sheppard; D. McGrath (0-1), N. McLoughlin, M. Coleman; A. Fox, C. Ward (1-6, 0-4 fs, 0-1 pen, 0-1 45), P. Byrne. Subs - S. Power for McGrath (ht), A. McKeown for McLoughlin (34), A. Callaghan for Byrne (43), J. McKeown for Coleman (52). Referee - J. Curley.

Most Read Stories