Mayo Forum

Mayo v Cavan

(Oldest Posts First)

Should win this one easy enough, 0-15 0-9 , any thoughts?

I wonder will Rochford ring the changes after the Dublin loss?

HarryMancini (Mayo) - 16/03/2017 00:57:18    1967444

Link

This could be a struggle. We tend to have difficulty breaking down a defensive system. Especially without the option of going long to AOS.
I think we will get there but it will be a tight game and not one for the purists.

unclegerry (Mayo) - 16/03/2017 14:49:46    1967593

Link

Replying To unclegerry:  "This could be a struggle. We tend to have difficulty breaking down a defensive system. Especially without the option of going long to AOS.
I think we will get there but it will be a tight game and not one for the purists."
You're all right we have no defensive system. Or attacking plan. A manager out of his depth I'd say.

doratheexplorer (Cavan) - 17/03/2017 12:20:42    1967803

Link

I'd be more interested what the Mayo fans will do before the game, can hardly applaud them after their pathetic excuse in Dublin, a proper way would to do nothing, say nothing when players run out onto the pitch but we all know what the 'sheep' of Mayo supporters are like, they will roar and applaud the team even though they shamed the jersey 2 weeks ago

riverboys (Mayo) - 17/03/2017 20:48:34    1967987

Link

fou changes on the team but its just re arranging the chairs on the Titanic , very poor full forward line cant see many scored from play from them . Cavan could well win this one .

culmore (None) - 18/03/2017 09:26:01    1968063

Link

Mayo for Sam '17? And pigs will fly.
Absolutely pathetic and not a clue. Going nowhere and getting there fast.

davittsman (Mayo) - 19/03/2017 15:36:51    1968496

Link

Utter shambles. Cavan deserved their win and should have won by more. Body language looks poor and no reaction from Dubs mauling. Will probably my still stay up but signs for summer look bad.

yew_tree (Mayo) - 19/03/2017 17:04:27    1968571

Link

Tired and resigned look on most players throughout. No lessons learnt from Dublin game. Wide open at the back!!. Cillian absent! Cannot see a plan!! Will keep following and hope for the best!!

Mayonmylifetime (Mayo) - 19/03/2017 17:33:32    1968595

Link

Had all the atmosphere of a challenge match, one that Cavan wanted to win that bit more. Had hoped that the Dubs display was a one off but it seems to go deeper than that. We seem clueless against a team that sets up defensively. We work the ball at half pace up to the halfway line and then pass back and over, giving the opposition plenty of time to get all their defenders back. We seemed loathe to try any shot from in front of the posts, opting instead to recycle and work the ball out to the wings. Some of the points we kicked today were from outrageous angles and wouldn't go over on another day whereas Cavan were far smarter at working the ball into good scoring positions. Our three in the full back line are arguably our paciest players and we are crying out for some of that pace from midfield up. We lack height in said full back line and any time a high ball came in we looked to be in trouble. At the other end we could have done with a target man as the ball into Andy has become predictable and he usually ends up playing it back out the field as he gets bottled up and there are no runners coming at pace. I hope that this team aren't going stale which could well be the case. It looks as if we will be relying on the same personnel again facing into the Summer as there doesn't seem to be anyone out there better than we have at the moment. Finally it's sad that our home pitch has become such a happy hunting ground for visiting teams. Tyrone, Monaghan, Kerry, Galway, Dublin and now Cavan have beaten us handily in the last couple of years. We will improve as we get fitter but it's hard to see us beating Donegal or Tyrone and we made need a favour from the Ross to keep us up. Whisper it though.

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - 19/03/2017 19:09:08    1968679

Link

Utter shambles. Cavan deserved their win and should have won by more. Body language looks poor and no reaction from Dubs mauling. Will probably my still stay up but signs for summer look bad.

yew_tree (Mayo) - 19/03/2017 20:38:26    1968758

Link

Pathetic, under 12s would have played better, the co board would want to write up P45s for the management and when we are eventually knocked out of the qualifiers hand them to the management, they haven't a clue, any eejet could have put a game plan in place for 15 men behind the ball, quick ball is how to beat it, as Pat Spillane often said a ball kicked forward travels faster than a hand pass or players running back towards their own goals. Rumours and rumours are always around but there is trouble in the camp, we had it last year which cost us an All Ireland title and we still have it this year, if the management hasn't the balls to cut these trouble makers then management should resign, players bullying cost us a title in 2016 and now some are at it again this year, 1 question, would Jim Gavin if Dublin put up with this nonsense? Of course not, he'd kick them up the ar#e and run them out the gate, you'd swear we hadn't any players playing for our clubs that could take their place, we haven't seen anything from our u21s from last year this season so far. Div 2 seems to be calling us and I for one am livid and disgusted at what's happening in front of our eyes, it's a sore painful death, this crap of 'it's only march' doesn't cut it, Dublin, Tyrone, Donegal are playing well at the moment and will be there about come late August so why can't we? Seems some believe they are bigger than the team and love the limelight but the genuine GAA people and not these 'blinkered' fans know who our real diehard players are and those who are more posers than players, time to cop themselves on, they are only fooling themselves, when you have a few All Ireland medals like Kerry and Dublin then you can claim and pose all you like but until then you are a nobody, just like the rest of us, fact

riverboys (Mayo) - 19/03/2017 21:06:29    1968774

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "Pathetic, under 12s would have played better, the co board would want to write up P45s for the management and when we are eventually knocked out of the qualifiers hand them to the management, they haven't a clue, any eejet could have put a game plan in place for 15 men behind the ball, quick ball is how to beat it, as Pat Spillane often said a ball kicked forward travels faster than a hand pass or players running back towards their own goals. Rumours and rumours are always around but there is trouble in the camp, we had it last year which cost us an All Ireland title and we still have it this year, if the management hasn't the balls to cut these trouble makers then management should resign, players bullying cost us a title in 2016 and now some are at it again this year, 1 question, would Jim Gavin if Dublin put up with this nonsense? Of course not, he'd kick them up the ar#e and run them out the gate, you'd swear we hadn't any players playing for our clubs that could take their place, we haven't seen anything from our u21s from last year this season so far. Div 2 seems to be calling us and I for one am livid and disgusted at what's happening in front of our eyes, it's a sore painful death, this crap of 'it's only march' doesn't cut it, Dublin, Tyrone, Donegal are playing well at the moment and will be there about come late August so why can't we? Seems some believe they are bigger than the team and love the limelight but the genuine GAA people and not these 'blinkered' fans know who our real diehard players are and those who are more posers than players, time to cop themselves on, they are only fooling themselves, when you have a few All Ireland medals like Kerry and Dublin then you can claim and pose all you like but until then you are a nobody, just like the rest of us, fact"
What are the troubles you are hearing about in the camp Riverboy?

HarryMancini (Mayo) - 19/03/2017 23:52:48    1968879

Link

Fair play to cavan, the were the better team.. Our FF line was non existent.. Beaten up a stick in mf (again) and no intensity (again).

Keith Higgins is not a full back. We gave away a typical Mayo goal. Couldnt deal with the high ball in.

The pressure is now firmly on rochford. We will need another win to stay up and have 2 games left against teams looking at getting to a league final. We will need to revert to a sweeper system quickly. We are getting cut apart in every game.

Cavan will fancy their chances v an already relegated rossies. Kerry will beat Cavan.

You can give out all you like about the 2 O sheas but we need them back urgently.

Danny Kirby warrants a mention yesterday. Kicked some massive scores. I thought we would have put him inside for a while in the 2nd half when it was clear we were struggling to break down Cavan

unclegerry (Mayo) - 20/03/2017 15:13:02    1969135

Link

Replying To unclegerry:  "Fair play to cavan, the were the better team.. Our FF line was non existent.. Beaten up a stick in mf (again) and no intensity (again).

Keith Higgins is not a full back. We gave away a typical Mayo goal. Couldnt deal with the high ball in.

The pressure is now firmly on rochford. We will need another win to stay up and have 2 games left against teams looking at getting to a league final. We will need to revert to a sweeper system quickly. We are getting cut apart in every game.

Cavan will fancy their chances v an already relegated rossies. Kerry will beat Cavan.

You can give out all you like about the 2 O sheas but we need them back urgently.

Danny Kirby warrants a mention yesterday. Kicked some massive scores. I thought we would have put him inside for a while in the 2nd half when it was clear we were struggling to break down Cavan"
FF line non-existent? You call Moran kicking three from play against a blanket non-existent? Lumping a big man inside when you are struggling to break a team with fourteen back is not a clever ploy either. You beat a blanket defense by being patient and punching hole after hole until you find a weak spot. Dublin do it exceptionally. Wave after wave of runner looking to break a tackle and their shooters looping of the runners. They also draw a huge amount of fouls because they are so direct and attack defenders at such pace. Its a win win.

BuffyBoffy (Mayo) - 20/03/2017 16:11:04    1969164

Link

Concerned about over use of Andy Moran and the loss of form of some of the forwards. Surely there are some routines we could use to break a blanket defence e.g. the supporting runner coming off the shoulder of the ball carrier etc.

mod (Mayo) - 20/03/2017 21:15:36    1969305

Link

I have to agree with Colm O Rourke....we are too slow and lateral going forward. My own opinion is we may get to a semi final but the same failings will come back to haunt us.

yew_tree (Mayo) - 20/03/2017 22:49:22    1969340

Link

lads when will aidan o shea be back in the fold? could do with him now more than ever

billythekid69 (USA) - 21/03/2017 17:56:35    1969617

Link

We have defenders who can kick points. Keegan, Higgins, Durkan, Boyle. I think Vaughan's shooting is a bit of a lottery but everyone can improve. Need good backs to come in replacing them but we've more good defenders than forwards right now. Is it worth sacrificing one or two from a back line, which looked solid late last year, and putting them in the forwards. They'd still have a lot to learn, like coping with a man marker or tight marking rather than running from deep and getting in space that way. Or just more attacking from deep. These men don't hesitate as much when presented with shooting chances compared to some our forwards. Could be something to try more while also looking for new forwards and improvement from those we have?

GreenandRed (Mayo) - 23/03/2017 15:29:58    1970444

Link