Mayo Forum

Team vs Kerry

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

All focus now on the 20th and a huge 70+ minutes battle in store. Will be Very interesting to see what team is picked, and even more interesting to see what team actually lines out as we probably won't know fully until just before throw-in. Also a lot could change in next 12 days with regards injuries but hopefully we have a full deck to choose from. Very difficult to drop anyone from yesterday's starting team but providing Lee is fit he will start. I personally would hold back Paddy Durcan keeping him to come on in second half fresh to mark the scoring threats of Stephen O'Brien or BJ Keane off the bench. Or another option would be to leave Andy out for Keegan if Rochford is planning a more defensive set-up. But IMO Andy is too crucial to us inside to not start.

mayoboy1 (Mayo) - 08/08/2017 11:46:20    2030894

Link

Replying To mayoboy1:  "All focus now on the 20th and a huge 70+ minutes battle in store. Will be Very interesting to see what team is picked, and even more interesting to see what team actually lines out as we probably won't know fully until just before throw-in. Also a lot could change in next 12 days with regards injuries but hopefully we have a full deck to choose from. Very difficult to drop anyone from yesterday's starting team but providing Lee is fit he will start. I personally would hold back Paddy Durcan keeping him to come on in second half fresh to mark the scoring threats of Stephen O'Brien or BJ Keane off the bench. Or another option would be to leave Andy out for Keegan if Rochford is planning a more defensive set-up. But IMO Andy is too crucial to us inside to not start."
1. David Clarke
2. Brendan Harrison
3. Donal Vaughan
4. Keith Higgins
5. Colm Boyle
6. Chris Barret
7. Patrick Durcan
8. Lee Keegan
9. Tom Parsons
10. Kevin McLoughlin
11. Cillian o' Connor
12. Jason Doherty
13. Diarmuid o' Connor
14 Aidan o' Shea
15. Conor Loftus

Thats the team i think we should start v Kerry. Andy brought on for the last 15 minutes, a great boost for the team and fans to see him coming on, and a cool head in those final few minutes. Evan Regan just needs his confidence restored, 2nd half v the Rossies would have been brilliant for him, instead of that he brings on Dillion wtf, good player but to old Regan and young lads are the future. Is Conor o'Shea injured ? Barry Moran !!!!

1951andwaiting (Galway) - 08/08/2017 16:37:55    2031152

Link

No Seamie? Had a Great game yesterday. Yes agree thought Regan should have got a run yesterday, but I'd imagine Rochford feels Dillon's experience may be useful in last quarter vs Kerry and wanted to give him some game time. Conor O'Shea was injured earlier in the summer, fit again now but hasn't broke back into 26. Barry Moran another man who hasn't made the bench since return from injury, may have been a real option to fill similar role against Kerry in front of Donaghy that he has successfully against Michael Murphy and Tipperary's Sweeney and Quinlivan in the past but with not having played all year I'd be surprised to see him feature the next day.

mayoboy1 (Mayo) - 08/08/2017 17:15:30    2031178

Link

It's always hard to assess players based on league form and performances, but Griffin was roasted by Andy down in Tralee. He's a FB put there more to stop a big target man than someone with a low centre of gravity. Wouldn't be surprised if Kerry didn't go with someone else at FB like we did last day. It's likely they'll try to man mark AOS with Peter Fouley.... he got away with a lot in the games back in 2014, when some of his tackles were more MMA than GAA. I expect Kerry to get very physical to knock Mayo off their running game and there's little doubt they'll be looking to find Donaghy with direct ball. Midfield is where the game will be decided. Both teams have good units when it comes to winning possession. If Barry is fit I'd put him on Donaghy, otherwise SOS or Donal Vaughan are likely to get the job. Our lads will need to start in the positive way they did the last day, as this Kerry team will look to take immediate control. They thrive on being front runners and everyone they've met so far has rolled over for them. Let's hope for a fair ref, one who won't take a sizeist approach to ott tackling.

Pericles (Mayo) - 09/08/2017 13:44:31    2031565

Link

Agree with that about Griffin, I'm sure he'd rather see Aido at full forward the next day than the likes of Andy or Loftus. If they were to leave him out, I'd be happier to see Aidan at full forward for spells.

I feel Kerry are priming Jack Barry for a man marking job on Fenton in a possible final, but I think Maher will be recalled ahead of him the next day.

Hard to know what to do with Lee, all year I'd been thinking if we do meet Kerry in a semi-final, put him in the full back line on either Donaghy or Geaney. Now I think I'd rather keep him further up the pitch where he can attack more freely.

mayoboy1 (Mayo) - 09/08/2017 14:23:01    2031591

Link

Replying To mayoboy1:  "Agree with that about Griffin, I'm sure he'd rather see Aido at full forward the next day than the likes of Andy or Loftus. If they were to leave him out, I'd be happier to see Aidan at full forward for spells.

I feel Kerry are priming Jack Barry for a man marking job on Fenton in a possible final, but I think Maher will be recalled ahead of him the next day.

Hard to know what to do with Lee, all year I'd been thinking if we do meet Kerry in a semi-final, put him in the full back line on either Donaghy or Geaney. Now I think I'd rather keep him further up the pitch where he can attack more freely."
id keep Lee up the pitch, he would be a real concern for kerry, good points on Griffen. Have an awful feeling it will come down to weak refereeing, hope I'm wrong. To late now but disappointed Rob Hennelly didn't get game time in FBD or League, he needed a few games to get his confidence up, what happens if anything happens to DC

1951andwaiting (Galway) - 09/08/2017 15:54:24    2031651

Link

I see Deegan and Coldrick are the refs for the 2 semis, that means they won't ref the final whoever is playing, looks like little Joe may get a run for the final, will we ever get a break

riverboys (Mayo) - 11/08/2017 09:39:38    2032240

Link

Tickets bought for both semi's.
Looking forward to see how ye get on against Kerry. I think ye'll beat them as long as COC & AOS don't collide with each other this time.

SligoCody (Sligo) - 11/08/2017 14:58:47    2032381

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "I see Deegan and Coldrick are the refs for the 2 semis, that means they won't ref the final whoever is playing, looks like little Joe may get a run for the final, will we ever get a break"
We live in hope Riverboys, even the mighty All Blacks came in for some proper refereeing of late. I don't mind Mo, Coldrick or even Dublin Joe. The guy we had the last day made a couple of small errors, but he wasn't fussy and gave out no black cards. I think David Gough's a good ref, but I gather he's not the most popular down in the Kingdom.

Pericles (Mayo) - 11/08/2017 15:20:17    2032387

Link

Two concerns tactically I have for Kerry.

1 - Kieran Donaghy. We have to get this right, as he has the ability to win the game in 10 minutes. The only man I could say that would definetly handle him is Aidan Oshea, but I don't see us putting him back there. We don't have a defender than could handle him, so I think we'll be sending a midfielder, Seamus or Barry Moran. Have to do it from the start, not like 06 when we put David Brady on him after 10 minutes, and the damage had been done.

2. Mayo Kickouts. I fully expect kerry to push up on our kickouts. Clarke really struggled in the Galway game when they pushed up, and during the league when teams pushed up. I'd expect kerry to put the two towers in midfield, Moran and Maher, and I think we should match them with Parsons and S oshea (if he's not FB) and A OShea at center forward. All Three are options for Clarke to kick too. McLaughlin Doherty diarmuid Boyle Keegan durcan all gr8 options to win loose ball

hollyhussler (Mayo) - 12/08/2017 22:06:50    2032658

Link

2 weeks ago Pat Spillane on the Sunday game claimed that if Mayo or Roscommon win the All Ireland title this year he'll eat his jersey, no today he reckons Kerry are worried about Mayo, this is pure cute Kerry hoorism building up the opposition to overhype them and their supporters

riverboys (Mayo) - 13/08/2017 14:12:37    2032740

Link

Lads do ye know the way my county is called the kingdom! I was just wondering what's yer counties knickname?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - 13/08/2017 21:51:39    2032946

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Lads do ye know the way my county is called the kingdom! I was just wondering what's yer counties knickname?"
The yew county

tommy132 (Mayo) - 14/08/2017 09:07:50    2033056

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "2 weeks ago Pat Spillane on the Sunday game claimed that if Mayo or Roscommon win the All Ireland title this year he'll eat his jersey, no today he reckons Kerry are worried about Mayo, this is pure cute Kerry hoorism building up the opposition to overhype them and their supporters"
He also gave Mayo no chance on the basis of losing a league game to Monaghan in February. He doesn't know what to be saying, don't mind him.

the_walls (Mayo) - 14/08/2017 12:05:37    2033168

Link

Replying To tommy132:  "The yew county"
Sound tommy, and that probably explains yewtrees username.

Jays lads it's gonna be a long week, there is away too much time between games this is only going to be our third game in something like 16/17 weeks since the league final.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - 14/08/2017 12:14:57    2033176

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Sound tommy, and that probably explains yewtrees username.

Jays lads it's gonna be a long week, there is away too much time between games this is only going to be our third game in something like 16/17 weeks since the league final."
Sure is KingdomBoy1. If you have time to spare and want to get the view from this end, then I suggest you take a listen to the lstest Mayo News podcast: http://mayogaablog.com/?p=21338

yew_tree (Mayo) - 14/08/2017 14:25:45    2033275

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Sure is KingdomBoy1. If you have time to spare and want to get the view from this end, then I suggest you take a listen to the lstest Mayo News podcast: Cheers" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://mayogaablog.com/?p=21338"
Cheers yewtree il give it a listen later on as I'm on a tractor at the minute doing a bit of hedge cutting so I wouldn't hear a thing,

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - 14/08/2017 15:22:29    2033302

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Cheers yewtree il give it a listen later on as I'm on a tractor at the minute doing a bit of hedge cutting so I wouldn't hear a thing,"
You'll have plenty of time for cutting hedges after Sunday.

davittsman (Mayo) - 14/08/2017 21:03:28    2033436

Link

Replying To davittsman:  "You'll have plenty of time for cutting hedges after Sunday."
I've plenty of time for hedge cutting davittsman it's getting time to go drinking that I'm struggling with.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - 15/08/2017 00:54:18    2033486

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Sound tommy, and that probably explains yewtrees username.

Jays lads it's gonna be a long week, there is away too much time between games this is only going to be our third game in something like 16/17 weeks since the league final."
Ye should lose your Munster semi final next year. Loads of games in the qualifiers and they're great craic!

the_walls (Mayo) - 15/08/2017 12:09:47    2033567

Link