Mayo Forum

Is it time for Rochford to go?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Irrespective of how this championship campaign transpires I am of the opinion that it is time for Rochford to go. I don't think he has brought a positive dynamic to the team and it has become evident that they have regressed in the past 12 months. Calling a spade a spade; Seamus O'Shea, Diarmuid O'Connor, Ger Cafferkey have been off the pace considerably. I feel Rochford is afraid to go for games. Mayo are a better team that Roscommon and I feel they need to ditch the sweeper and go man to man when playing inferior opposition. Rochford has instilled an air of negativity about Mayo that really inhibits our attacking options.

Thoughts?

theblackcard (Mayo) - 01/08/2017 08:40:47    2027126

Link

Most things point towars Rochford all right. McLoughlin had near perfected the sweeper role last year. Rochford abandoned it for the league and then left Higgins in the role he isn't comfortable with although he played well Sunday. Keegan was unreal 1st half but Mc'Stay showed Rochford up by sending Smith into full forward line as he knew Rochford would not take Keegan off Smith. Parsons dropped????
AOS going to full forward on a few occasions for 5mins? AOS seems to be choosing when he plays out the field and when he wants to go inside. Boyler taken off when there were plenty of lads in the jersey playing muck and stayed on the pitch. Boyler was having a good game!
Last year was the 1st time we got a defensive coach. Full back very suspect what has McEntee done to address it?

MayoinKildare (Kildare) - 01/08/2017 10:02:42    2027159

Link

Bit early for this thread lads. Ye were stop start last year and could/should have won the All Ireland. Wait till season is over first.

P.S From Roscommon point of view i hope Rochford is Mayo manager for forseeable future

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - 01/08/2017 10:44:13    2027189

Link

The current plan, whatever it is, IS NOT WORKING.

FearBeag (Mayo) - 01/08/2017 11:02:49    2027218

Link

And replaced by who?

unclegerry (Mayo) - 01/08/2017 11:06:48    2027221

Link

Rochford time appears to be up. Too many decisions have backfired most notably the goalkeeping decision in the All Ireland final last year but also the substitutions this year are very questionable - Andy Moran, Colm Boyle etc. Whoever is manager next year needs to blood younger players during the league as most of this team is there since 2011 and the mileage is high. Peter Forde could be a man for the job.

imonmyway (Mayo) - 01/08/2017 11:22:43    2027234

Link

Replying To unclegerry:  "And replaced by who?"
Peter Forde?

imonmyway (Mayo) - 01/08/2017 11:25:18    2027238

Link

The new players introduced have not stepped up to the plate , when had we a good game from D O Connor, F Boland , E Regan , S Cohen , etc none of them have claimed a place on the team only exception is P Durkan. A O Shea lost on the field doesn't know where he should be. Defence can be very good but then fall asleep and let in a few soft goals . Forwards very slow in taking scores very laboured most times and afraid to take own scores . Is that the fault of the Manager or the players , to me the Manager has to select the right team and make the right switches , but the players have to perform on the field so at present both the players and Manager are not doing very good jobs and on present performances from both wont win anything

culmore (None) - 01/08/2017 11:43:55    2027251

Link

Lads. Way too early for this. Lets wait till next Monday before we start handing out P 45's.

I agree that Rochford has not brought the same level of attack that I assumed he would have from his Corofin days and the team did seem to have a better defensive shape last year. But we are still in it and lets see what happens.

Giveitago (Mayo) - 01/08/2017 11:46:26    2027253

Link

A good point. What about D. O'Reilly from Castlebar

theblackcard (Mayo) - 01/08/2017 11:56:18    2027262

Link

@theblackcard..:-) your prob the same bloke in here last week mouthing of mayo would beat Ros handy come Sunday, but yer back in here again mouthing of now that Mayo are better than Ros footballers..:-). Sure look proof of the pudding lad ,did ye beat us ???? .NO!. So crawl back under that stone good lad. Remember the performance of Roscommon last Sunday was way of esp our full forward line only scoring 1.04 between them. We were highest in league last year and third this year. Had yet goal not got a deflection and murry catching the ball on route to goals in the 67 min what would you be saying now. Great thread lads more power for the Rossie's :-)

john1971 (Roscommon) - 01/08/2017 12:26:02    2027288

Link

Plenty of "know-it-alls" on HS forums to pick from !!

ponga (Mayo) - 01/08/2017 12:30:43    2027292

Link

Replying To john1971:  "@theblackcard..:-) your prob the same bloke in here last week mouthing of mayo would beat Ros handy come Sunday, but yer back in here again mouthing of now that Mayo are better than Ros footballers..:-). Sure look proof of the pudding lad ,did ye beat us ???? .NO!. So crawl back under that stone good lad. Remember the performance of Roscommon last Sunday was way of esp our full forward line only scoring 1.04 between them. We were highest in league last year and third this year. Had yet goal not got a deflection and murry catching the ball on route to goals in the 67 min what would you be saying now. Great thread lads more power for the Rossie's :-)"
Being the highest scorer in the league isn't worth dam all if the other teams out score ye. So where did highest scorers in the league get ye last year; knocked out of the championship by Clare. This year your third highest score got ye relegated. You and no one else will convince me that ye are anywhere close to the top table.
Ye encountered a lethargic Mayo team that is in the decline but once things for sure is you won't see Roscommon in a final in your lifetime. Ye let a 7 point lead slip; that's the reality of how good ye are.
Your right about the goal; wicked deflection but then again Creggs goal was a fluke so they both very much cancel each other out.

theblackcard (Mayo) - 01/08/2017 12:48:40    2027310

Link

Well I think it is really too early for this - while unlikely we could still win an all ireland this year. The reality is that we came within the kick of a ball last year (twice) from winning in his first year in charge.

However - i agree that some of his decision making has been strange, we don't need to look back any further than last Sunday for that. McStay probably couldn't believe his luck when Keegan was left to do a man marking job in FB line.

While far too early to speculate but the 2 men in the opposition dug-out on Monday are probably the best qualified to take over the team. Michael Solan would be my shout having won the U21's, he would know them players well and over the next 2 years we need a few of those players to step up to the mark.

Cbar (Mayo) - 01/08/2017 13:05:31    2027329

Link

Theblackcard.. Grow up.Ross won't be in a final , you sound like a bitter man but maybe not this year but we have won a final so far this year :-):-) and the future looks mighty with our classy underage coming through :-). I hope when we take yer scalp come Monday that you will wish us well and maybe buy a Ros jersey in morans in ballaghaderreen:-).

john1971 (Roscommon) - 01/08/2017 15:38:10    2027433

Link

Rochford deserves to see out the season and then we can talk.

I do believe there are question marks over some of his decisions though, not to mention the worrying trait of starting games 15 minutes after the opposition.

For all the criticism of him and certain Mayo players on here, who would ye replace them with? Chances are those in place are the best options.

Gleebo (Mayo) - 01/08/2017 15:43:24    2027439

Link

Replying To john1971:  "Theblackcard.. Grow up.Ross won't be in a final , you sound like a bitter man but maybe not this year but we have won a final so far this year :-):-) and the future looks mighty with our classy underage coming through :-). I hope when we take yer scalp come Monday that you will wish us well and maybe buy a Ros jersey in morans in ballaghaderreen:-)."
Im far from bitter. You must have been at a different game to me last Sunday; because all I could hear from Roscommon fans was bitterness and resentment to a player who chose to play for the county his parish was in. There are some real genuine Roscommon fans and there are those who take pride in demise of others around them. Im pretty sure you fall into the latter bracket.

theblackcard (Mayo) - 01/08/2017 15:53:52    2027449

Link

Actually no . But I would love to see roscommon Team bate ye out the gates in croke park. When ross were awarded frees he decided to chant " mayo " around the grounds another tactic of yers. Why don't you admit it your team is a cooked goose and deep down you this:-)

john1971 (Roscommon) - 01/08/2017 16:20:51    2027472

Link

Replying To john1971:  "Theblackcard.. Grow up.Ross won't be in a final , you sound like a bitter man but maybe not this year but we have won a final so far this year :-):-) and the future looks mighty with our classy underage coming through :-). I hope when we take yer scalp come Monday that you will wish us well and maybe buy a Ros jersey in morans in ballaghaderreen:-)."
First of all there is no doubt this current group of Mayo players are collectively in decline but please don't start talking about underage success in Roscommon. This line has been thrown out many times before in the last 10 years. The 2006 minor team were basically sainted after winning and nothing came at senior. Same thing a few years back after provincial U-21'S. Mayo won a minor title in 2013 and an U-21 last year, it doesn't guarantee anything. From what I can see over the last couple of years Galway are the dominant underage force in our province so not sure where your confidence comes from.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - 01/08/2017 16:26:09    2027473

Link

Hi flaker were you at the under 21 final last year ?? . Against Roscommon in Sligo ??. Ye dragged D.Murtagh to the ground on two occasions when no penalty was awarded for either. By far that day Ros were the better team. I!m not saying we would have won it but we def should have won the connacht title for sure. Up to that point since 2005 its been mainly Gal and Ros that has ruled connacht in under age and at club level also :-).we lost 2 all Ireland U21 finals the bulk that played he last Sunday .and we were let believe Mayo were a different animal once they got to croke park ..lol lol lol :-)

john1971 (Roscommon) - 01/08/2017 16:50:17    2027489

Link