Mayo Forum

Mayo v Roscommon

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think this deserves it's own thread as it is a quarter final. What are the thoughts of Mayo fans for this one?
Tom Parsons the only injury concern...maybe Barry Moran will make an appearance off the bench at some stage.

I personally think we have Aidan O Se coming into form these past few weeks at the right time. People forget he was injured early in the year. Diarmuid and especially Cillian are powerhouses. Keegan needs to keep his cool and stay on the field. I can't see Mayo allowing the likes of Enda Smith to dictate the game like Galway allowed.

Jason Doherty's ability to turn over ball in that middle third will be vital. The Roscommon forwards are dangerous especially D.Murtagh and I would take him in the Mayo team in a heartbeat and supply of quick ball will need to be stopped in that regard.

The big worry as we all know is full back....not sure Harrison can play there and Vaughan is loose. The key will be not to have any player isolated alone back there which worked for large parts against Cork.

I am backing Mayo to win...you have to when you consider the teams and big game experience, power, physicality and pace. If Roscommon do pull of a shock then fair play to them but all evidence points to another win for Mayo.

(btw: Lets try and keep the talk here strictly football related unlike other threads).

yew_tree (Mayo) - 26/07/2017 12:54:06    2023815

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "I think this deserves it's own thread as it is a quarter final. What are the thoughts of Mayo fans for this one?
Tom Parsons the only injury concern...maybe Barry Moran will make an appearance off the bench at some stage.

I personally think we have Aidan O Se coming into form these past few weeks at the right time. People forget he was injured early in the year. Diarmuid and especially Cillian are powerhouses. Keegan needs to keep his cool and stay on the field. I can't see Mayo allowing the likes of Enda Smith to dictate the game like Galway allowed.

Jason Doherty's ability to turn over ball in that middle third will be vital. The Roscommon forwards are dangerous especially D.Murtagh and I would take him in the Mayo team in a heartbeat and supply of quick ball will need to be stopped in that regard.

The big worry as we all know is full back....not sure Harrison can play there and Vaughan is loose. The key will be not to have any player isolated alone back there which worked for large parts against Cork.

I am backing Mayo to win...you have to when you consider the teams and big game experience, power, physicality and pace. If Roscommon do pull of a shock then fair play to them but all evidence points to another win for Mayo.

(btw: Lets try and keep the talk here strictly football related unlike other threads)."
Mayo will relish playing in Croker and facing Roscommon who they have absolutely no fear of playing. I expect our lads will have nerves playing in front of the biggest crowd they will ever have faced and playing Mayo who have got the better of us on so many occasions since the turn of the century.
Saying that if Mayo perform like they did in the Derry game(Normal Time), Clare(First Half) and Cork game i think we may have a chance. I dont think Mayo forwards will get the space Cork allowed them and i cant see Mayo been as efficent in front of goal well i hope not anyway.
hoping for a good game and dispite the dung been said on other pages I hope for a good game and may the best team win

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - 26/07/2017 13:07:49    2023829

Link

anybody know anything about fergal boland being droped through a text message by mayo management?

Otobefrommayo (Mayo) - 26/07/2017 13:09:35    2023831

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "I think this deserves it's own thread as it is a quarter final. What are the thoughts of Mayo fans for this one?

(btw: Lets try and keep the talk here strictly football related unlike other threads)."
Agree with 90% of what you say - I think he needs to do something at full back in this game. I'm struggling to come up with a solution but I would try Vaughan. If we make it through on Sunday , which I think we will and if we play Kerry in a SF - you don't need to be an expert to know what Kerry are going to do that day with Donaghy in FF.

Cbar (Mayo) - 26/07/2017 13:17:35    2023838

Link

Only D.murtagh lol .. 3rd highest scoring team in div 1 and highest last year .. Ask protein and gal. Average age of mayo 29 ros 23. We have serious pace serious but time will tell. Love the cheeky comment " a shock Ross win " .. Your gas I will give u that. Thank god match is in croke park. I was at the league match against mayo up beside the box and some dude inside with an anti ros attitude did gigs when mayo scored. So mayo folks do u think leitrim,Sligo and Galway will be shouting for ya come Sunday???

john1971 (Roscommon) - 26/07/2017 13:28:29    2023846

Link

I'd agree with all of that. Murtagh is quality, I'd love him in our team and he'll have to be watched.

It is hard to know with Mayo at the minute though. We are so Jekyll and Hyde. If we play to our best for 70 minutes then no question, we win the game, but all summer we haven't proven we are capable of that. I still think we will have too much overall for the Rossies but if we don't put in a 70 minute performance, they definitely have the forwards to punish us. Mayo by 4

the_walls (Mayo) - 26/07/2017 13:33:03    2023849

Link

Replying To Cuckoosinging:  "Mayo will relish playing in Croker and facing Roscommon who they have absolutely no fear of playing. I expect our lads will have nerves playing in front of the biggest crowd they will ever have faced and playing Mayo who have got the better of us on so many occasions since the turn of the century.
Saying that if Mayo perform like they did in the Derry game(Normal Time), Clare(First Half) and Cork game i think we may have a chance. I dont think Mayo forwards will get the space Cork allowed them and i cant see Mayo been as efficent in front of goal well i hope not anyway.
hoping for a good game and dispite the dung been said on other pages I hope for a good game and may the best team win"
Cuckoosinging: "Who will we blame, Its the clowns in mayo who ran their managers after making progress. Got in a simpleton who they can dictate and are struggling game on game and dont give me this we could have won all ireland last year, That was the worst dublin have been the last 5 years and they still bet ye"
You just put that on the Roscommon forum you are the one talking dung.

From a proper rossie supporter I hope we give a good account of ourselves and run ye close hopefully it will be a cracking game and hopefully galway go very close to

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - 26/07/2017 13:42:04    2023854

Link

Replying To john1971:  "Only D.murtagh lol .. 3rd highest scoring team in div 1 and highest last year .. Ask protein and gal. Average age of mayo 29 ros 23. We have serious pace serious but time will tell. Love the cheeky comment " a shock Ross win " .. Your gas I will give u that. Thank god match is in croke park. I was at the league match against mayo up beside the box and some dude inside with an anti ros attitude did gigs when mayo scored. So mayo folks do u think leitrim,Sligo and Galway will be shouting for ya come Sunday???"
john1072 - you taking crap all over the place. Leave it out. It would be a shock if Roscommon beat Mayo no matter what you think. The Bookies seem to think so. I am not saying Roscomon can't win...we were in a similar position against Cork in 2011. Your hatred for Mayo is coming through...chill out our you will self-combust before Sunday.

yew_tree (Mayo) - 26/07/2017 13:56:14    2023863

Link

Replying To the_walls:  "I'd agree with all of that. Murtagh is quality, I'd love him in our team and he'll have to be watched.

It is hard to know with Mayo at the minute though. We are so Jekyll and Hyde. If we play to our best for 70 minutes then no question, we win the game, but all summer we haven't proven we are capable of that. I still think we will have too much overall for the Rossies but if we don't put in a 70 minute performance, they definitely have the forwards to punish us. Mayo by 4"
Neutral observer here coming in peace...

Few observations on Mayo in lead up to Rossie...
- I expect mayo to win with relative comfort. Mayo have far too much physicality and croke park experience to lose this one. Can see mayo winning by 7+ though I fancy roscommon to put up a decent score
- looking further down the line Mayos fullback and sweeper issues will definitely cost them versus kerry. Cafferkeys position at fb is untenable, has been roasted in every game this year and destroyed by donaghy in the past. While there are no obvious alternatives I would go with Coen at fb versus Kerry

- might seem like sacrilege to say it but Keith Higgins position must be under serious threat too. He is fine joining up with attack etc but his defending has regressed dramatically this season. On numerous Cork scores where he was supposed to be sweeper he ended up being drawn out after the ball. Kev mcloughlin was just getting used to the sweeping role last year. I would push him back as sweeper as he has the intelligence for it

- Loftus simply must start. Mayo have been going to the well now with the exact same forward line since 2011. They need someone new, an unpredictable wildcard like Loftus. Teams like Dublin and Mayo will be well ready for AOS/COC/Andy as they have played them in pretty much every game over the years. A Loftus gives them something different and new to think about

- remove all sentiment. Guys like Alan Dillon, great servant that he is should no longer be getting game time ahead of guys like Boland, Loftus kirby etc. Demoralising for youngsters if good form doesn't get rewarded

HuddHastings (Longford) - 26/07/2017 13:57:18    2023864

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "Cuckoosinging: "Who will we blame, Its the clowns in mayo who ran their managers after making progress. Got in a simpleton who they can dictate and are struggling game on game and dont give me this we could have won all ireland last year, That was the worst dublin have been the last 5 years and they still bet ye"
You just put that on the Roscommon forum you are the one talking dung.

From a proper rossie supporter I hope we give a good account of ourselves and run ye close hopefully it will be a cracking game and hopefully galway go very close to"
Where i my post did i say i wasnt involved in speaking dung? Please highlight

Now go back trolling and spreading rumours like you usually do. How many lads have walked away from our panel this week and how many after after picking up injuries and out for the game?

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - 26/07/2017 14:04:51    2023874

Link

Huddhastings sorry but you are far from neutral with that post. 7 points plus ?. You sound more like a betting man . Just because mayo have been around for a few years and reached a few semis and finals u automatically think this will be straightforward??. You put cork,Clare,and Derry ahead of us yet they need extra time to finish them of by a point or so. Personally I don't think you have a clue in that post. We won connacht by a fluke . If ros win on Sunday will you be back in here retracting your post ??. But in a way I am happy you and the rest of the country think that straight forward for mayo so. Its lucky its not Langford or you would be calling it a 50/50 game:-)

john1971 (Roscommon) - 26/07/2017 14:33:26    2023901

Link

Tarismelting22 is a 100% mayo!!. So fair play cuckoosinging!. He lets on he is pro Ross yet he threw a smart jab at me when I slept Ross instead of ros!.find a new home @ taris22

john1971 (Roscommon) - 26/07/2017 14:37:59    2023908

Link

Replying To john1971:  "Tarismelting22 is a 100% mayo!!. So fair play cuckoosinging!. He lets on he is pro Ross yet he threw a smart jab at me when I slept Ross instead of ros!.find a new home @ taris22"
I never put a jab at you for that others did but not me get your facts straight. Your embarrassing the Roscommon team and supporters being narrow minded
I think you will find that everyone I said walked did walk. Like to let the rest of the country know that these two are not representative of all the Roscommon supporters and im not the only one saying it. We look forward to a good game against a team who are rightfully favourites but if we could pull it of it would be a great scalp for us. I think it will be 50/50 in midfield if parsons is out if he plays ye will have the upper hand. Where we can get at mayo is our forwards few of them lads are in the form of there lives and will enjoy the space in croker. If we can get enda smith on as much ball as possible and running at or delivering quick ball into the murtaghs and Connolly I think we have a great chance. My other worry is the power of the likes of aidan o shea will do damage against our inexperienced backline. The inexperience may lead to a lot of frees which will all know coc ability of finishing them.

Think kickouts are going to be interesting we have a keeper in his first year starting on the senior team hopefully he settles early

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - 26/07/2017 15:13:53    2023932

Link

john1971 - "Mayo has won nothing nothing" "C.o.Connor in my books is totally over rated." "I can see Aiden.o.Shea standing dejected along with other players out on the pitch after Ross match"

Some of the absolute muck you are posting elsewhere. What age are you seriously? If you were born in 1971 I would worry for you.

yew_tree (Mayo) - 26/07/2017 16:17:14    2023990

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "john1971 - "Mayo has won nothing nothing" "C.o.Connor in my books is totally over rated." "I can see Aiden.o.Shea standing dejected along with other players out on the pitch after Ross match"

Some of the absolute muck you are posting elsewhere. What age are you seriously? If you were born in 1971 I would worry for you."
I repeat not representing Roscommon fans or cuckoosinging

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - 26/07/2017 16:38:20    2024007

Link

I agree with most of what you say Hudd, though I'm not bothered about predicting the result... Mayo are far too flakey at the moment with every game so far characterised by periods of extreme sloppiness and just about enough good stuff to give us heart failure and get us over the line. I was going to suggest Coen as well as a potential fullback, but while he has a lot of the attributes just throwing him in might be too much of a gamble. He played well against Clare around the middle, and a bit like Caff is likely to be

Pericles (Mayo) - 26/07/2017 16:39:25    2024008

Link

I agree with most of what you say Hudd, though I'm not bothered about predicting the result... Mayo are far too flakey at the moment with every game so far characterised by periods of extreme sloppiness and just about enough good stuff to give us heart failure and get us over the line. I was going to suggest Coen as well as a potential fullback, but while he has a lot of the attributes just throwing him in might be too much of a gamble. He played well against Clare around the middle, and a bit like Caff is more cut out to be a centre back. He has had the odd lapse too in terms of handling and stray hand passes and one of those inside the 20m line would be buried by the likes of Diarmuid Murtagh. I think we'll end up with Keith as FB if Caff is pulled, with Kevin Mc as sweeper, although there seems to have been some rethinking about the advantages of using a sweeper by a number of teams, Mayo included, as it reduces attacking options so much. I expect the Rossies to be lively and dangerous. They've 2 years of Div 1 under their belts and are a step up in class over the opponents we've met so far. They should also be at a peak right now, which we'll need to be too to deal with them. I don't buy into them being overawed by the crowd or occasion... if we're relying on those factors to see us through we're screwed. We need a performance, and anything less will not be good enough.

Pericles (Mayo) - 26/07/2017 16:55:31    2024022

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "I agree with most of what you say Hudd, though I'm not bothered about predicting the result... Mayo are far too flakey at the moment with every game so far characterised by periods of extreme sloppiness and just about enough good stuff to give us heart failure and get us over the line. I was going to suggest Coen as well as a potential fullback, but while he has a lot of the attributes just throwing him in might be too much of a gamble. He played well against Clare around the middle, and a bit like Caff is likely to be"
Not trying to be funny but what did we do last year when Caff was unavailable?

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - 26/07/2017 17:00:09    2024026

Link

Replying To Llaw_Gyffes:  "Not trying to be funny but what did we do last year when Caff was unavailable?"
Played Kevin Keane for the most part.

Pericles (Mayo) - 26/07/2017 17:17:11    2024035

Link

Roscommon could run Mayo into the ground and win by 12 to 14 points, mayo defence have become very loose this year. just like Donegal ,so I fear a hammering for Mayo .

culmore (None) - 26/07/2017 17:20:23    2024038

Link