Mayo Forum

Donegal game

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

This one is hard to call IMO. Its really hard to know if teams are too pushed about a league final. Donegal are not out until 6 weeks after the league final so they would probably welcome the extra game in HQ likely to be v Dublin.

Donegal are unlikely to change the way they are setup too much despite being already safe. Ryan McHugh will be a loss to them but they have plenty of legs throughout the team and have been very impressive in their games to date. Also Murphy looks rejuvinated.

That aside we need to focus on ourselves and build on last weekend. It will be very interesting to see how we line up. Will the likes of Nally and Drake be in from the start again?

Our need is greater but Donegal can play without pressure.. I would not at all be surprised if this finishes level which we would all take with 2 hands.

unclegerry (Mayo) - 28/03/2017 14:07:30    1972263

Link

Replying To unclegerry:  "This one is hard to call IMO. Its really hard to know if teams are too pushed about a league final. Donegal are not out until 6 weeks after the league final so they would probably welcome the extra game in HQ likely to be v Dublin.

Donegal are unlikely to change the way they are setup too much despite being already safe. Ryan McHugh will be a loss to them but they have plenty of legs throughout the team and have been very impressive in their games to date. Also Murphy looks rejuvinated.

That aside we need to focus on ourselves and build on last weekend. It will be very interesting to see how we line up. Will the likes of Nally and Drake be in from the start again?

Our need is greater but Donegal can play without pressure.. I would not at all be surprised if this finishes level which we would all take with 2 hands."
How do Mayo folk feel about Cormac Reilly refereeing this?

GaaGaa78 (UK) - 28/03/2017 15:05:13    1972286

Link

Replying To unclegerry:  "This one is hard to call IMO. Its really hard to know if teams are too pushed about a league final. Donegal are not out until 6 weeks after the league final so they would probably welcome the extra game in HQ likely to be v Dublin.

Our need is greater but Donegal can play without pressure.. I would not at all be surprised if this finishes level which we would all take with 2 hands."
We are well up to winning this, but we will have to play better than v Tyrone. AOS made a big difference though he clearly needs game time to sharpen him, I think himself and Kirby can do real damage..

martinjoe (Mayo) - 28/03/2017 15:08:22    1972290

Link

Replying To GaaGaa78:  "How do Mayo folk feel about Cormac Reilly refereeing this?"
I am not overly concerned about it. He had a shocking day in the Gaelic grounds in 2014 but that is history as far am I am concerned. I would urge Mayo fans not to heckle or howl at him as that kind of shi** is not what I want associated with Mayo GAA supporters. Also he is likely to turn on us if he is gettin abuse from the stands. At the end of the say the ref cant put the ball over the ball for ya and giving out abut a ref never gets you anywhere

unclegerry (Mayo) - 28/03/2017 16:28:48    1972362

Link

Replying To unclegerry:  "I am not overly concerned about it. He had a shocking day in the Gaelic grounds in 2014 but that is history as far am I am concerned. I would urge Mayo fans not to heckle or howl at him as that kind of shi** is not what I want associated with Mayo GAA supporters. Also he is likely to turn on us if he is gettin abuse from the stands. At the end of the say the ref cant put the ball over the ball for ya and giving out abut a ref never gets you anywhere"
Well said. The amount of comments I'm seeing on Twitter about the planned reception for him. How (some) Mayo fans think that's the way to go baffles me, if the crowd turn on him it could end up affecting his performance. Surely they want him to ref it to the best of his abilities, which he won't be able to do if he's being abused from all corners.

GaaGaa78 (UK) - 28/03/2017 16:52:57    1972387

Link

Clowns on social media are just that...clowns. They are probably the same ones slating the team and management after the Cavan game.

yew_tree (Mayo) - 28/03/2017 19:54:12    1972492

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Clowns on social media are just that...clowns. They are probably the same ones slating the team and management after the Cavan game."
And the same ones that blame the o shea's for everything. Including the current break in the weather we are having.

pray4sam (Mayo) - 29/03/2017 12:03:13    1972702

Link

If the ref has a poor performance the fans will tell him but at the end of the day if Mayo are good enough to win then who is appointed as ref shouldn't matter, he isn't the only ref we have a problem with but the GAA have run out of referees to cover our matches that we don't approve of so it doesn't matter. As for yew tree and pray 4 sam have some cop on, there is no smoke without fire

riverboys (Mayo) - 29/03/2017 21:19:34    1972940

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "If the ref has a poor performance the fans will tell him but at the end of the day if Mayo are good enough to win then who is appointed as ref shouldn't matter, he isn't the only ref we have a problem with but the GAA have run out of referees to cover our matches that we don't approve of so it doesn't matter. As for yew tree and pray 4 sam have some cop on, there is no smoke without fire"
I see riverboys is on the anti o shea team anyway. There might be no smoke without fire but paper never refused ink either. We certainly could have done with them in our last 3 games. New players proving that they are well behind in term of conditioning. Having the ball taken off them like you would take sweets of a child.

pray4sam (Mayo) - 30/03/2017 11:50:33    1973080

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "If the ref has a poor performance the fans will tell him but at the end of the day if Mayo are good enough to win then who is appointed as ref shouldn't matter, he isn't the only ref we have a problem with but the GAA have run out of referees to cover our matches that we don't approve of so it doesn't matter. As for yew tree and pray 4 sam have some cop on, there is no smoke without fire"
Stories on Mayo football are like a pub in Ireland...you can't believe 95% of what you hear. Maybe your not around long enough to understand. Hearsay stories hold no water for me. I could start a rumor in Shrule now and by lunchtime they would be talking about it in Belmullet.

yew_tree (Mayo) - 31/03/2017 10:45:20    1973467

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Stories on Mayo football are like a pub in Ireland...you can't believe 95% of what you hear. Maybe your not around long enough to understand. Hearsay stories hold no water for me. I could start a rumor in Shrule now and by lunchtime they would be talking about it in Belmullet."
Rumour in Shrule. What rumour? Mortimer is back isn't he. I knew he couldn't stay away. And what happened in Belmullet? Is Chris Barrett injured again? Don't leave us in suspense Yew. I heard Keith Higgins picked the team last week! Came from a reliable source whose first cousins girlfriends uncle heard it in a pub in Lahardane.

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - 31/03/2017 11:41:40    1973489

Link

Replying To Llaw_Gyffes:  "Rumour in Shrule. What rumour? Mortimer is back isn't he. I knew he couldn't stay away. And what happened in Belmullet? Is Chris Barrett injured again? Don't leave us in suspense Yew. I heard Keith Higgins picked the team last week! Came from a reliable source whose first cousins girlfriends uncle heard it in a pub in Lahardane."
Ciaran MacDonald was spotted in Athlone last night where Mayo trained....shhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

yew_tree (Mayo) - 31/03/2017 11:53:43    1973497

Link

Willie Joe and Jimmy Burke are flying in training is what I heard. Definite starters on Sunday.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - 31/03/2017 17:30:49    1973647

Link

Mayo team for Sunday has just been announced

1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)

2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)

3. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)

4. Chris Barrett (Belmullet)

5. Colm Boyle (Davitts)

6. Lee Keegan (Westport)

7. Paddy Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels)

8. Tom Parsons (Charlestown)

9. Danny Kirby (Castlebar Mitchels)

10. Shane Nally (Garrymore)

11. Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber, Capt)

12. Fergal Boland (Aghamore)

13. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)

14. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)

15. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)

MayoClub51 (Mayo) - 31/03/2017 21:11:16    1973689

Link

Can't see boland starting tmw. Can see a late change with AOS starting in full forward line.

pray4sam (Mayo) - 01/04/2017 20:54:13    1973930

Link

Can i just say that our Killian's goal was probably the best worked goal I've seen in a long time. I can see us winning this. Very one sided. Up Mayo

Mary_P (Mayo) - 02/04/2017 15:18:40    1974089

Link

The proverbial game of two halves today. I honestly thought at half time that we were going to be hammered. Every time Donegal ran at us they looked like getting a free or scoring. We were reduced to taking pot shots from distance and kicked some poor wides. Leaving Andy inside on his own wasn't working and we looked toothless. The arrival of Aido changed things around as Donegal seemed to get distracted and Mayo upped their game. As usual most of the danger came from our defenders joining the attack and it would be nice if we could spare Keith for a permanent role as an attacking sweeper. Eight points is a good return from the league but it's a worry that we haven't anyone new who is better than the usual suspects. Any follower of Mayo could sit down and, barring injuries, name 13 of the team that will start in the championship, and there's a good chance all fifteen will have played in last years championship. We have lads coming in who mightn't let the team down but won't improve it either. I know it's early but the return from last years u21 team is disappointing with only Diarmuid and young Coen looking like senior material. The second half lifted the spirits somewhat but there are still a lot of unanswered questions.

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - 02/04/2017 19:56:03    1974362

Link

Got some video of the match yesterday uploaded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF3YoA8P4Ro

mayo.mick (Mayo) - 03/04/2017 20:33:39    1975048

Link

Replying To mayo.mick:  "Got some video of the match yesterday uploaded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF3YoA8P4Ro"
Thanks Mick. If you shot that from a phone what type is it? Great quality.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - 04/04/2017 12:41:27    1975360

Link

Mayo have gone through the most ridiculous league campaign ever, we all know that Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal and Mayo are the top 5 teams in the country and Mayo beat 3 of them, Donegal at home and Kerry and Tyrone away but got hammered by Dublin, that in itself should make fans happy but the way the team played and not giving Monaghan or Cavan the respect they deserve nearly cost us our div 1 status and that's where we have a problem. Tyrone are dark horses for Sam but they failed to beat any of the top 4 only drawing with Dublin and have lost the last 3 matches, that isn't good heading into an Ulster provincial championship, Dublin weren't firing on all cylinders and were beatable in this campaign but still make the final, if Mayo had beaten Monaghan and Cavan as they were expected to do we would be in the final and in with a good chance of winning some national title, a lot of work to do but the gap between the team and new or underage lads is huge and can't see anybody new making an impact on the Mayo panel, I hope I'm wrong

riverboys (Mayo) - 04/04/2017 13:45:32    1975412

Link