Louth Forum

Louth V DCU O'Byrne Cup Final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Can we get White out to the wing, Clarke in the corner and Mark on the forty ? Also Declan is not a corner back at this Level.

MR (Louth) - Posts: 2519 - 17/02/2010 15:03:08    564359

Link

I'd like to see this team line out against DCU...
1. Gallagher
2. R Greene
3. A Hoey..height may be an issue but doesn't have pace for centre-half
4. D Finnegan
5. R Finnegan
6. D Byrne
7. J O'Brien
8. R Carroll
9. M Fanning
10. A McDonnell
11. Brian White....helping out at midfield as well
12. M Brennan
13. Colm Judge
14. JP Rooney
15. Darren Clarke
Have to say I've been a little disappointed with Gallagher but we don't really have many other options for there. To be honest I expect a little more. Maybe it will just take time for him to settle in and gain confidence, but his kick-outs have been quite poor and he does tend to make quite a few unforced errors. Definitely think he will be a great asset in the future butjust not 100% sure at the moment. Think this is the strongest team we have available. Pity about Paddy, he'll be a big loss. The lads should win this, but I think the most important thing is giving a good performance at this stage of the season. The more experienced players really need to step up to the plate and show how it's done. I think JP has been the stand-out player of the year so far. I think many people had given up on him, but he's proved them all wrong. If more people follow his lead, I don't see why we can't have a good run in the league and be in contention for promotion.

Louth4Life (Louth) - Posts: 103 - 17/02/2010 15:42:27    564434

Link

Where is Reynolds ? Cannot afford these mistakes by our goalie.

MR (Louth) - Posts: 2519 - 17/02/2010 16:05:44    564485

Link

Brian White is in the middle with Sean O'Neill. Ronan and Paddy are out due to injuries. Aaron is out due to sickness plus all our u21 lads will be starting on the bench.

Squid

squidword (Louth) - Posts: 2897 - 17/02/2010 16:11:08    564497

Link

Stuart has undergone an operation. Neil Gallagher IMO has to date performed well for Louth.

Squid

squidword (Louth) - Posts: 2897 - 17/02/2010 16:36:10    564550

Link

Squidword, can't believe you're saying Neil Gallagher is performing well thus far, you obviously werent in Sligo last weekend. He was at fault for the Sligo goal in the 1st half, and his quick and ill-thought-out free kick near the finish, cost us the equaliser. And some of his kickouts have been woeful. Peter Fitzpatrick put it down to inexperience afterwards, but surely Gallagher is long enough around to know the story. Afterall, he's been involved in several county finals for cooley, plus he's played League of Ireland soccer, so it's not that he's still wet around the ears.
Unfortunately, we seem to have a shortage of goalkeeping options at the moment..Although not his greatest fan, Stuart Reynolds wasnt prone to as many mistakes, while Sean Connor never got a proper chance and when he was overlooked at the start of the season, he rightly told them where to go. I just wonder what Connor would have been like, had he been retained in the panel. Don't believe he'd have made as many mistakes as Gallagher.

cmurray (Louth) - Posts: 59 - 17/02/2010 17:22:06    564621

Link

starting line up for sunday.
1.N.GALLAGHER
2.P.RATH
3.D.FINNEGAN
4.J.O BRIEN
5.R.FINNEGAN
6.M.FANNING
7.S.FITZPATRICK
8.S.O NEILL
9.B.WHITE
10.A.REID
11.M.BRENNAN
12.D.CRILLY
13.C.JUDGE
14.S.LENNON
15.JP.ROONEY

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 11585 - 17/02/2010 18:05:58    564709

Link

brendan nash of na piaersaigh was the under 21 goalkeeper last year and is one of the best if not the best goalkeeper around ,yet fitzer totally overlooked him and still hasnt called him in even though dats wat the squad is lacking,must b personal reasons

pratai (Louth) - Posts: 101 - 17/02/2010 18:35:10    564749

Link

I do expect quite a convincing win against DCU.

There are a number of reasons for this, that number being 1 reason. DCU will be fielding a second team.
I today watched DCU destroy a very strong CIT side without really breaking sweat. Seanie Johnston, Donal shine, Kevin Reilly and Shane O'Rourke were all unavailabe through injury/suspension which shows the strength in depth.

As indeed i believe none of the 15 who started will start against Louth, i expect a louth win. But the subsitutes bench also includes strong county players eg Michael Ling of Cavan.
Were DCU to field a first team they would ATE louth. AS this isn't the case i would expect something similar to last years result.

Therefor i will be staying at home.

joseff (Louth) - Posts: 964 - 17/02/2010 20:04:41    564870

Link

cmurray
County: Louth

Neil Gallagher hasn't been foot perfect but neither was the great Paddy Cullen of Dublin on occasion. I was in Sligo and Newbidge and Baltinglass and Drogheda and to date Neil has performed admirably for Louth. No doubt you don't recall the great save he made against Wexford in the second half of that game when he finger tipped the ball from point blank range onto the crossbar and thus prevented what would have been a certain goal, a score which would in the end have won the game for Wexford. With regard to Sean Connor yes IMO Sean should have been giving a chance to prove himself, particularly after the great year he had last year with the Louth juniors. Sean will be a big loss for Louth and that's for sure.

Squid

squidword (Louth) - Posts: 2897 - 17/02/2010 20:31:01    564930

Link

Lads theres a lot of short memories out there regarding the goalkeeping situation.
Ive been impressed thus far with Gallagher, yes hes made some silly mistakes but what keeper doesnt?He was excellent against Wexford & unlucky not to get a free out when conceding the goal as he was tackled in the square.
Reynolds wasnt prone to an error?? We dont have to look back to far to remember the clanger against Laois last summer.
Gallagher claims balls like ive never seen a Louth keeper claim & hes a superb shotstopper. Reynolds never seemed to pull out a match winning stop.
Hes been a good servant alright but hes nothing special.
As for Nash , hes a decent keeper but not as good as Gallagher or Reynolds.
Sean Connor never really got a chance with Louth agreed, but has been an full forward on the club scene for a few years now so that wont help his chances.
Gallagher should be judged at the end of the league, give him a decent chance.

sam57 (Louth) - Posts: 1500 - 17/02/2010 20:33:23    564934

Link

Is the game going out live to the nation this Sunday on TG4 ?.

Squid

squidword (Louth) - Posts: 2897 - 17/02/2010 20:50:21    564963

Link

Bull,

Surely you will go to see Monaghan play Dublin in a 'friendly' :) this coming Sunday at Inver College???

Squid

squidword (Louth) - Posts: 2897 - 17/02/2010 20:58:16    564983

Link

no nhl will be on

setantas-son (Louth) - Posts: 139 - 17/02/2010 21:15:10    565006

Link

Squid why do you feel the need to adress that post to a user that is no longer on the forum.

joseff (Louth) - Posts: 964 - 18/02/2010 14:19:36    565570

Link

Think about all the mistakes Snitchy made as a goal keeper over the last few years and not a word said. Gally is a top keeper, just needs to show consistency on his kick-outs. Theres a lot more problems in other positions

davetherave (Louth) - Posts: 76 - 18/02/2010 14:45:45    565620

Link

joseff
County: Louth

Squid why do you feel the need to adress that post to a user that is no longer on the forum.

No longer on the forum ye say,who do ye think you're codding bull ???. Your name may have changed but everything else about IB XXX remains the same.

Squid

squidword (Louth) - Posts: 2897 - 18/02/2010 19:21:15    566081

Link

Gally is doing well, there was enough times where Reyonlds dodgy kickouts cost us. As for another keeper, Crosby from the Marys attended trials and they didn't even know he was a keeper, and him Irish Jr soccer keeper.

midLouth (None) - Posts: 49 - 18/02/2010 20:47:31    566227

Link

sam57:nash is the best keeper around in my opinion,gallagher cant even train with louth on tuesdays and saturdays cos he is playing soccer with newry,is it any wonder none of the players know were his kickouts are goin,is one night a week good enough for inter county?who knows maybe fitzer mite call on niall o donnell

pratai (Louth) - Posts: 101 - 18/02/2010 21:03:17    566262

Link

Cousin up in northern part of county tells us that rumour has it that Nash is not training with club but is playing soccer, probably has a better chance of making county team. Hi cous--- keep us up to date with the scene.up there. Are the mochs still favourites for championship. Wait til the 'boys from the south' start marchin north.

quietfans (Louth) - Posts: 80 - 18/02/2010 21:44:01    566352

Link