Wicklow Forum

New Football Manager

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Optimisticobserver:  "The minor final appearances have been 1952 ,93 and 97. The last two years have shown that with proper management and commited players we can compete with the strong counties like Kildare, Meath and Dublin. Kevin and his team were somewhat unlucky not to get us to a Leinster final in 2018 after two enthralling games against Kidare in the semi-final and beaten by a strong Dublin team in the quarter final last year. His well prepared teams competed to the very end of games and there were no hammerings out the gate which many previous minor teams suffered. I honestly believe that he instilled a new belief and committment in his squad of players and this transferred to the supporters as witnessed by the large number s that turned up for the matches. We are not going to get success overnight as we have the monkey of decades of failure on our back . However the effort s put in over the last two years havee been promising. I honestly believe that his group of under 20s will not have any double digit beatings to endure as other Wicklow teams have. His group will be be very well prepared for the championship in February and i wish him well."
I think you missed 1974 there my friend. Wicklow actually won Leinster that year. Our one and only Leinster title.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 185 - 13/11/2019 20:01:15    2249526

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "I think you missed 1974 there my friend. Wicklow actually won Leinster that year. Our one and only Leinster title."
Sorry Freethinker....Wicklow beat Longford in the Leinster final. The team had a large number of students from Dunlavin Vocational school I think. The fantastic Pat O Toole springs to mind. However we were annhiliated by a powerful Cork team in the semi-final who went on to beat Mayo by 4 points in the final

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 33 - 13/11/2019 22:31:52    2249557

Link

Replying To Optimisticobserver:  "Sorry Freethinker....Wicklow beat Longford in the Leinster final. The team had a large number of students from Dunlavin Vocational school I think. The fantastic Pat O Toole springs to mind. However we were annhiliated by a powerful Cork team in the semi-final who went on to beat Mayo by 4 points in the final"
Some of our all time greats came off that team, the lads you mentioned, some great Carnew men, John Allen, Keith Ryan, Tommy Murphy, Menton, The late John Manning, uncle of that Manning on the St Judes team who declared for Wicklow last year and others. A stalwart from Larah was in the subs. Apologies for those I haven't name called. Jeez, if we could get back to that standard again we would be in business.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 185 - 13/11/2019 23:28:34    2249562

Link

I think Kevin O'Brien moving up to under 20 with the same bunch of players is something to be welcomed. If the current senior team was to perform well and get results under davy burke, we could be left with a situation in the future where davy burke would be in demand, for example, in Kildare and may move on. Equally, if Kevin was to prove himself at under 20 level and continue the progress he made with the minors and maybe add some silverware then he would be the man in position to take over. I know that there is a lot of maybe's in this scenario and that I might be getting ahead of myself but if we want a wicklow man to manage the county team in future, we need to get them involved at under age and promote them based upon their success. I would like to see the likes of Leighton Glynn or someone from that era getting the under 17 job that Kevin has vacated. Equally if there is a successful club manager who could fill the role, he should equally be given the opportunity to prove himself on the inter county scene.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1054 - 14/11/2019 09:23:40    2249574

Link

Internal is the way forward. Kevin O'Brien getting the u-20 job is a huge positive. Look after the younger lads now and keep them motivated so that we can build from here. Realistically we are years away from being any way competitive at senior inter-county level but we have to start somewhere. There is some great work going on at club level around the county and this is needed to feed into any success we have at inter-county level.

Dreamer (Wicklow) - Posts: 17 - 14/11/2019 14:18:59    2249608

Link

Replying To Dreamer:  "Internal is the way forward. Kevin O'Brien getting the u-20 job is a huge positive. Look after the younger lads now and keep them motivated so that we can build from here. Realistically we are years away from being any way competitive at senior inter-county level but we have to start somewhere. There is some great work going on at club level around the county and this is needed to feed into any success we have at inter-county level."
Lots of ould positivity on here now. Keep her lit lads.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 185 - 14/11/2019 15:28:19    2249623

Link

Should be targeting a run in the new Tier 2 championship.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2759 - 16/11/2019 17:40:30    2249883

Link

Just wondering did many players attend the first under 20 session in Balliakill on Saturday.? I see Davey Burke has set a target of 40 plus players for the initial senior panel. The only problem i see with the gaa fixture structure is that the under 20 player will be excluded from the senior setup as their championshi is scheduled for Feb/March so it looks like Davey wont be able to use any of them in the early rounds of the league. Am I right in saying that or can players play both ?

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 33 - 18/11/2019 23:28:32    2250260

Link

It is quite complicated, what underage players can play in and what they can't. To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing stopping an under 20 player playing for their county in the league. I think where they can't play is in the championship i.e. an under 20 player who is involved in the under 20 championship can't play for the seniors in the championship. I know this because the year that Kildare won the all ireland under 20 championship under Davy Burke, they beat Kerry in the semi final and neither Sean O'Se nor David Clifford could play as they were part of the Kerry senior panel. I would imagine that Kevin O'Brien will have first call on under 20 players for that championship but it will come down to how Kevin and Davy manage players that will aid in their development.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1054 - 19/11/2019 07:51:32    2250270

Link

Replying To Optimisticobserver:  "Just wondering did many players attend the first under 20 session in Balliakill on Saturday.? I see Davey Burke has set a target of 40 plus players for the initial senior panel. The only problem i see with the gaa fixture structure is that the under 20 player will be excluded from the senior setup as their championshi is scheduled for Feb/March so it looks like Davey wont be able to use any of them in the early rounds of the league. Am I right in saying that or can players play both ?"
from speaking to a player from my club who attended, only 15 players turned up. not a great start.

ww14 (Wicklow) - Posts: 18 - 19/11/2019 11:24:27    2250305

Link