Wicklow Forum

Wicklow Academy Squads

(Oldest Posts First)

Just wondering what anyone's take is on the running of the Academy Squads. i was in Blessington last Saturday at the u14 blitz. Wicklow had a panel of around 27/28 players. They played 5 matches of, which were 20 mins in length. Considering this is a development squad you would expect that players would equal enough game time? some players only got 1 half of a match which is 10 mins in total. Maybe the coaches looking after the team have decided they only want a certain number of players. It was probably made a little more obvious, when team talk/huddle before match the coaches left the subs sitting down to the side and didn't even include them in the team talk. I'm not sure how the other squads are being run, but if similar to this surely players and parents will get turned off this and walk away from the squad?

ww14 (Wicklow) - Posts: 17 - 21/08/2019 09:06:38    2228080

Link

Replying To ww14:  "Just wondering what anyone's take is on the running of the Academy Squads. i was in Blessington last Saturday at the u14 blitz. Wicklow had a panel of around 27/28 players. They played 5 matches of, which were 20 mins in length. Considering this is a development squad you would expect that players would equal enough game time? some players only got 1 half of a match which is 10 mins in total. Maybe the coaches looking after the team have decided they only want a certain number of players. It was probably made a little more obvious, when team talk/huddle before match the coaches left the subs sitting down to the side and didn't even include them in the team talk. I'm not sure how the other squads are being run, but if similar to this surely players and parents will get turned off this and walk away from the squad?"
Similar happens right accross the acadamy squads, it was absolutely evident last year with the Minor team, when players were bursting the nuts off at pre season, gym sessions, training etc through out the year to be dropped and replaced by players who turned up to a hand full of training sessions, for the bigger games, just because they had natural talent. I don't envy the job managers and selectors have when trying to pick a team of 15 out of a panel of 30+, but once it is done fairly, this win at all costs will catch Wicklow out eventually, the last thing I would want to see is a young lad doing everything he is told all season to be left on a bench wondering why.

The whole purpose of the county acadamy, I thought, is to develop players. Unfortunately in Wicklow, success at a senior level currently is as rare as hens teeth, and emphasis should be on developing and retaining young lads, and hopefully in a few years success will follow, I can tell you the lads with the natural talent won't want to hang around when they may be offered a rugby/ soccer scholarship, or maybe a chance at the big time, and the lads that were killing themselves all season to be left on the bench for the "big" games will be no where to be seen, but sure the powers that be know best.

standview (Wicklow) - Posts: 18 - 27/08/2019 13:09:28    2229784

Link