Wicklow Forum

Cub Football Has Never Been In Such A Bad Place, Are Club Teams A Priority Any More? Is The County Board Even Concerned?

(Oldest Posts First)

Club football has never been in such a bad place in Wicklow, small clubs folding one after the other and the rest doing the best to scrape together a team each week. but are we surprised?
The county board are doing nothing to help the matter, if anything they are doing the exact opposite, continually putting hurdles and obstacles in the way of club teams and offering no support.
the board only seem concerned with the inter county scene, how do they expect any success at this level when they are letting the clubs and 98% of the players in wicklow down.
2 New issuses on the club front.
Firstly
can someone please explain the Count Boards Logic in fixing matches for mid week while the weekends are being left free?.
how do they expect Players to make these mid week evening games with Work, college, family commitments etc.

Secondly,
the leagues are nearly over already, the majority anyway and at what benefit?, the majority of players now wont have a proper competitive club game now until Championship which is hardly ideal preparation. and this farce of a competition that is to go ahead in the meantime, again why? how is a competition that no clubs are really interested in going to benefit football in the county?

ww2012 (Wicklow) - Posts: 83 - 01/05/2018 10:54:14    2095913

Link

Replying To ww2012:  "Club football has never been in such a bad place in Wicklow, small clubs folding one after the other and the rest doing the best to scrape together a team each week. but are we surprised?
The county board are doing nothing to help the matter, if anything they are doing the exact opposite, continually putting hurdles and obstacles in the way of club teams and offering no support.
the board only seem concerned with the inter county scene, how do they expect any success at this level when they are letting the clubs and 98% of the players in wicklow down.
2 New issuses on the club front.
Firstly
can someone please explain the Count Boards Logic in fixing matches for mid week while the weekends are being left free?.
how do they expect Players to make these mid week evening games with Work, college, family commitments etc.

Secondly,
the leagues are nearly over already, the majority anyway and at what benefit?, the majority of players now wont have a proper competitive club game now until Championship which is hardly ideal preparation. and this farce of a competition that is to go ahead in the meantime, again why? how is a competition that no clubs are really interested in going to benefit football in the county?"
WW2012 I wrote something similar on another thread yesterday, copied below. Definitely agree with you on the first point. I searched though the fixtures to see if there was any local game on to go to on Sunday morning, but nothing on.
I disagree on the second point though. Regardless of whether it is league, cup or championship, surely players should want to play. As I mentioned below, there has been a glut of walkovers given in the last week. Why can't clubs play these fixtures? Even more worryingly, seemingly Kiltegan conceded a walkover to St Pats in the Div 1 league last night. At senior Div 1 level there should be no such thing as walkovers, end of story. This wouldn't happen in any serious football county.

"If the WicklowGAA.net results page is accurate, from the weekend's schedule of fixtures, in Intermediate Hurling League - 2 walkovers, Div 1 Football Cup - 4 walkovers, Div 3 Football cup - 2 walkovers. What the hell is going on? All this in the GAA's "month of the club". Other counties are giving out that there is not enough fixtures, particularly championship fixtures, during this month, and we can't get clubs to play?"

Hawkeye2 (Wicklow) - Posts: 63 - 01/05/2018 11:27:08    2095927

Link

Having read the above two articles a couple of thoughts came to mind. I acknowledge some clubs are struggling in Wicklow at the moment to field teams . However why the need to straight away and blame the County Board. Surely the clubs themselves have to take some of the blame. Where are the three year plans never mind five year plans that clubs need to take on board. If players are not available to the club then this would have been known at the start of a playing year. I agree the County have over all responsibility for all GAA matters within the County but we as clubs also have to take responsibility for whatever happens within our club confines.
Secondly the leagues are not over. From what I understand there are games now to decide promotion and relegation playoffs in Division 1.
Constantly I read on messages on all these GAA threads about how our County teams are not up to standard and hence the negativity that follows such displays. How are we going to change it. The preparation now being put in by the majority of county teams nowadays means we have to do likewise. The result of this means that clubs will be without their County Players for a period unless we as a county follow the old Kilkenny hurling module of playing early rounds of championship and releasing players. That's grand for Kilkenny where there is a history of success. However we are working from a much lower base.
All is not desparate with GAA in this County. There are problems, no doubt. However when you see GAA pitches all over Wicklow booked out most nights, I think there are genuine people out there who love our Games, young and old, and regardless of the seemingless sad state of affairs here , we continue to play, coach and support our club teams as players, coaches and parents . I'll end on that positive note.

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 94 - 02/05/2018 22:14:23    2096321

Link

I'm a current player. Nothing wrong with midweek games. I love them - more enjoyable than training anyway.

I'd say playing numbers coming through is the main issue with clubs folding. Can't expect the same players to hold a club together that have done for the previous 15-20 years, simple as that. If there's new blood that allows the experienced players, with chaps at home, to taper their playing careers than great but it's difficult to be continually expected to produce the goods when life is moving slowly on.

Underage is the only way and have some kind of pathway that breeds club loyalty.

That pocket of emigration over the last decade has left a large gap between the mid-30s crew and the early 20s crew. Be interesting to see the age profiles of clubs around the country. Not just in Wicklow is it happening.

wicklu (Wicklow) - Posts: 331 - 03/05/2018 22:11:32    2096520

Link

Read the report on the board meeting where Kiltegan complaining they didnt have county players available to their club in April because county manager refused to release them. I know i might be wrong but is it not a new rule that clubs have priority on the players in April. If the report is correct the way i am reading it the board ok the manager to do this.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 06/06/2019 00:06:15    2191060

Link

Players were released for club games but not for training. As far as I know .

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 94 - 06/06/2019 14:27:55    2191179

Link

That does not suggest that the spirit of April as a club month has been observed. What has the club players association said about this?. I think this nerds to be investigated by croke Park

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 06/06/2019 21:35:21    2191298

Link

Due to the fact I can't make it to club games in the county, I would look for results online and it does appear that there is a lot of walk overs granted on a fairly regular basis. I find this strange especially at a time when players at club level are complaining that their season is being put on hold to accommodate the intercounty season. Even when Wicklow are knocked out of championship which is normally in June, the county struggles to finish the championship before the Leinster club championship kicks off in October. How can a situation develop whereby St. Patricks had to play in a county final replay and within 24 hours, have to play in the Leinster club championship when Wicklow were beaten in June?!!! A similar situation occurred with Eire Og and a hurling game. I am by no means a fan of the county board but isn't the county board made up and controlled by people who have come from the clubs within the county?!!! I don't understand people calling for Croke Park to sort out this situation as it is quite simple - you produce a fixtures schedule at the start of the year mapping out the games and give clubs a veto to reschedule x number of games in the event of unavoidable events like funerals etc but once your veto is used up, if you don't fulfill the fixture, there is some sort of sanction. If clubs are struggling to field team then this should be examined by the club themselves and if help is possible in addressing the situation, a discussion should take place with the county board.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1043 - 07/06/2019 08:17:37    2191353

Link

I play soccer. We have a game home or away almost every week. Rare to get or give a walkover, great crack dont give a feck about players not available caus of county. If gaa gets it act together like this for clubs it would be much better

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 09/06/2019 10:40:22    2192070

Link