Tyrone Forum

Ulster Football Championship 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

This reminds me of the early 1990's when Derry had the measure of Tyrone time after time for four years in Championship matches, National League finals, semi-finals and Derry won the All-Ireland and National League during this period. Despite having a very good panel of players Tyrone won nothing. Eventually Tyrone faced up to Derry in the boiling sun of Clones in the 1995 championship and went on to win in a pulsating game. The confidence the players gained from this enable them to go on and win the Ulster Championship in successive years. Tyrone must beat Donegal now.

Byanthon (Tyrone) - Posts: 1608 - 04/07/2016 19:20:55    1876385

Link

Donegal being physically stronger doesn't concern me. Donegal seem to have a disciple issue and depending on the ref there is a chance of a lot of frees for Tyrone. My concern is a complete lack of reliable free taker. Has been an issue in tyrone for many of years now and can't get my head around how this is still the case.

Players like Peter harte, Bradley etc who do direct running will give Donegal players nightmares

kevin03 (Tyrone) - Posts: 227 - 04/07/2016 19:24:07    1876390

Link

Hoping we can do it but this looks like Tyrone's year to me, the losers of this match face a difficult route on the hard side of the draw so probably this match is do or die knockout stuff.
Tyrone look hungry and very fast and fit, going to be a cracker hopefully.

TirChonaillabu2 (Donegal) - Posts: 344 - 04/07/2016 20:52:51    1876453

Link

Replying To SteveNTS:  "
Replying To IrvinestownMkII:  "Ulster Football Championship 2016 Tyrone 0-16 Cavan 3-7, Well, well as I head to work on a sunny Monday morning in Aussie I learn that Tyrone got the shock of their lives when Cavan stunned the favourites in front of a crowd of 19,141 with goals at either end of the opening half. And that wasn't half of it with the underdogs getting yet a magical goal in the dying minutes to stay in the championship and will get another whack at the redhanders and yesteryear or should it be yesterdecade Sam winners! Well done to Cavan."
Irvinstowne mk11. Supppose you have not heard the news. Best not put your head outside. THe frost might bit you this cold morning. especially when you notice the figures 5.18 2.17"
Good day Steve. In response to your cocky comment, I can safely say Tyrone's journey hasn't exactly been inspirational so far and yes maybe a wee bit with the odd sporadic performance like in the replay on Sunday but will that be repeated or good enough to see off Donegal? Indeed, that is the 64 million dollar question that has no guaranteed answer!

As for the more important All Ireland championship, I googled and it appears that a Dublin v Kerry final seems to be the prediction at this stage so not looking good for the Sam coming back to the Tyrone hills for a while! In fact it's so long ago now that it is hard for many to even remember!!

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1383 - 05/07/2016 01:09:52    1876566

Link

Replying To IrvinestownMkII:  "
Replying To SteveNTS:  "[quote=IrvinestownMkII:  "Ulster Football Championship 2016 Tyrone 0-16 Cavan 3-7, Well, well as I head to work on a sunny Monday morning in Aussie I learn that Tyrone got the shock of their lives when Cavan stunned the favourites in front of a crowd of 19,141 with goals at either end of the opening half. And that wasn't half of it with the underdogs getting yet a magical goal in the dying minutes to stay in the championship and will get another whack at the redhanders and yesteryear or should it be yesterdecade Sam winners! Well done to Cavan."
Irvinstowne mk11. Supppose you have not heard the news. Best not put your head outside. THe frost might bit you this cold morning. especially when you notice the figures 5.18 2.17"
Good day Steve. In response to your cocky comment, I can safely say Tyrone's journey hasn't exactly been inspirational so far and yes maybe a wee bit with the odd sporadic performance like in the replay on Sunday but will that be repeated or good enough to see off Donegal? Indeed, that is the 64 million dollar question that has no guaranteed answer!

As for the more important All Ireland championship, I googled and it appears that a Dublin v Kerry final seems to be the prediction at this stage so not looking good for the Sam coming back to the Tyrone hills for a while! In fact it's so long ago now that it is hard for many to even remember!!"]You need to sack your researcher Irvinestown, Dublin and Kerry meet in the semi this year, the winners of ulster play connaught champions/qualifier team in the other semi.
Sure at least you have the Olympics to look forward to on the tv in Fermanagh!

RedHandFan88 (Tyrone) - Posts: 2 - 05/07/2016 13:08:25    1876759

Link

Ulster champions again!!!!

seanie_boy (Tyrone) - Posts: 4197 - 17/07/2016 18:14:16    1884842

Link

The win was a little late in coming but overall the quality of football wasn't great from Tyrone bar the last quarter and they will find it challenging in their All Ireland venture. I see Donegal going further!

WestRules (Galway) - Posts: 251 - 17/07/2016 19:06:51    1884893

Link

Gutted obviously but no complaints overall. You fought hard & stepped up in those last important minutes when it counted. Fair play to Peter Harte. That point was a thing of beauty. Congratulations on your win & savour it!

Glynners (Donegal) - Posts: 109 - 17/07/2016 20:31:19    1884991

Link

Congrats Tyrone Ulster Champions again after a 6 year wait, that seemed like a lifetime. Overall a poor game actually think Donegal have more than enough talent in their team to play more offensive football, but our new young team matched their blanket and (on an extremely hot & energy sapping day) when it really mattered in the last 10 minutes we where able to push on a get over the line with 4 outstanding points from Sean Cavanagh, Petey Harte, Darren McCurry & Kieran McGeary. We where definitely nervous in the first half & that plus Donegal's very deep Blanket left us taking allot of wrong options. Second Half was allot better from us, but we where still playing catch up till the final minute so Donegal deserve allot of credit in keeping us out, while chipping over some impressive long range scores themselves. In the end, our subs with their energy & drive had big say in turning the tide in our favour. I know the forwards or the scorers get most of the praise, but I felt Rory's Brennan's man marking job on Ryan McHugh was outstanding and possibly the main turning point of the game for us. Until Rory's (enforced) introduction Ryan Mc was their go to man and having a great game, but second half was a complete reversal with Rory stopping him from making the powerful runs that where causing us so much bother. What can you say about Sean Cavanagh, what a player!! After all these years still an outstanding footballer & leader of this new Tyrone Team, and yet again when the chips where down he took the game by the scruff of the neck and helped get us win the game with this drive & class scores. An inspirational & very poignant Captains winners speech from Sean, in front of a Sea of Red & White on the pitch at Clones, despite what Croke Park say "Pitch Celebrations" are the way to go with our games
Finally over the last 6 barren years I've been saying I would like to see this new Tyrone team win a few Ulster Titles before we go about trying to win more All Ireland's, well now they have their first one as a (Mostly) new group of players and I feel we can now have the confidence to push on and dominate our Provience once again.

WELL DONE LADS : Tir Eoghain Abu

IrelandUnited (Tyrone) - Posts: 70 - 18/07/2016 11:08:58    1885340

Link

Well done yesterday lads. To say I'm devastated is an understatement. Yesterday almost felt as as important as an All Ireland. Sean Cavanagh was immense and stepped up for yous when needed most. Best of luck for the rest of the year you have a very good chance now of getting to an All Ireland final.

HandballRef (Donegal) - Posts: 477 - 18/07/2016 11:11:40    1885344

Link

I do think this was a coming of age victory for Tyrone. Losing another tight hand to hand combat game to Donegal would have been a big blow. Winning Ulster will be a big boost and I think the style of Tyrone's play will be well suited to Croke Park and I expect them to flourish there.

Byanthon (Tyrone) - Posts: 1608 - 18/07/2016 11:50:49    1885395

Link

Congrats and well done.

Yous deserved the victory .

Enjoy the celebrations .

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 18/07/2016 19:17:33    1885812

Link

Congratulations on winning Ulster. There may have only been a few points in it but I felt you thoroughly deserved the win. You refused to lose when the game was in the melting pot in the last few minutes.

I have to laugh at the media saying 'the drought is over for Tyrone'. If six years is a drought what on earth would you call Down's 22 years without success ha ha! I'm beyond despair with my own county.

Tyrone will give the All-Ireland series a serious rattle. It won't be easy, especially with the likelihood of having to play a rejuvenated Mayo team in the quarters. But then again you do have arguably the greatest manager to ever grace the game. That coupled with a seriously talented squad is a potent combination.

Keep the Ulster flag flying high.

MourneArmy (Down) - Posts: 1787 - 19/07/2016 10:14:36    1886055

Link

Congratulations Tyrone, Well deserved title for a team on the way up.

I'm especially delighted for Mickey Harte and his family, after the great pain and suffering they went through a few years back. Mickey is one of the most respected and well liked people in Ulster if not Ireland, and after the dark days his family went through in 2011, It was fitting for him to be the person to lead Tyrone back to the top.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 19/07/2016 22:48:07    1886738

Link