Tyrone Forum

Tyrone v Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Must admit i will be disappointed if its only a hard and fair game on Sunday. I'm rather looking forward to Tyrone stealing the Candy when the child is not looking...and whoever wins ,may they then go all the way!!

RedHughlegend (Donegal) - Posts: 55 - 23/08/2013 16:08:11    1466602

Link

Safe travelling this weekend lads. See ye for the craic in Quinns early on Sunday! And any of ye headin tomorrow, see ye in coppers ;).

killer_88_ (Mayo) - Posts: 2040 - 23/08/2013 17:11:38    1466661

Link

Not allowed to go to coppers, but safe journey to all Mayo and Tyrone fans

Please god the winners lift sam.

tireoghainabu (Tyrone) - Posts: 57 - 24/08/2013 21:30:31    1467319

Link

All the best to mickey and the boys today, I really hope we have a big performance in us to put a few people back in there boxes again. Have Monday booked of work so I'll enjoy a few drinks tonight before throw in and maybe a few after depending on the result cone in Tyrone!

duke_raul (Tyrone) - Posts: 991 - 25/08/2013 09:32:20    1467377

Link

Hard luck Sunday lads. Terrible ref and ye def got the rough end of the stick but we can have complaints about him too. Still think we were the better team but I can see Tyrone coming back. It's plain to see Mickey Harte is rebuilding. We may see ye yet again in September with yer minors so all the best against Roscommon.

Also Tyrone fans were very gracious and a credit to their county but then again I wouldn't except anything else. Up Mayo!

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9617 - 27/08/2013 10:21:00    1469064

Link

Good luck to Mayo, better team won but Tyrone but it up to them and hopefully it will prepare Mayo for the final. Tyrone will find it almost impossible to replace Gormley who will go down with Jordan, McGuigan, Dooher, Canavan etc as true greats and we were truely blessed. We now have to hope Morgan, Clarke, Donnelly, Coney, O'Neill, McAliskey and McCurry can now step up but we need to find others as well.

Byanthon (Tyrone) - Posts: 1560 - 27/08/2013 17:44:23    1469546

Link

Mayo may be in the final again but they will not win it,either Kerry or Dublin will beat them in my opinion,Mayo just haven't got the craft in front of goal,and they have had an easy run to the final,but for a disastrous display of refereeing Tyrone would have been a lot closer to them and might have beaten them.
Just one point regarding fans,the Mayo fans we met last year were the best of craic and we had a drink with them after the final,sound people, I wouldn't pay heed to the few ejits who jump on the bandwagon of any team who are successful,most of them no frig all about the GAA anyway.
I think Sam will be staying in Dublin this year,but I wish Mayo the best of luck in the final,hope they get a decent ref

TirChonaillabu2 (Donegal) - Posts: 344 - 27/08/2013 18:30:59    1469593

Link

There is an article in the INDO today; Martin Breheny points out that the penalty was not a penalty, that the point for Mayo at the start of the half was after a double bounce and that the foul given against Cavanagh that led to a score was not a foul. It is disappointing and frustrating when the ref determined a result!

Ger from Omagh (Tyrone) - Posts: 109 - 28/08/2013 11:57:06    1469970

Link

Ger from Omagh
County: Tyrone

There is an article in the INDO today; Martin Breheny points out that the penalty was not a penalty, that the point for Mayo at the start of the half was after a double bounce and that the foul given against Cavanagh that led to a score was not a foul. It is disappointing and frustrating when the ref determined a result!

Need to make sure that Martin Breheny becomes a referee next year!!!! He has had time to re-view footage many times since Sunday, where as the referee has to call decision in real time. Still if we want to be technical these amendments would only have removed a goal and two points from Mayos total, still giving them a one point victory. I wonder did Martin Breheny give a similar conclusion to the Monaghan game over certain incidents?

martinprince (Tyrone) - Posts: 187 - 28/08/2013 12:23:32    1469996

Link

From the on set I had a sense that the ref had a leaning towards Mayo and sadly that is how the game transpired. Of course the difficulty with the game is that there is a wide scope for interpretation and therefore in tight games the ref's perspective can be decisive. This tendency also exists in rugby union but not as decisively. It is "usual" in our games to see a fairly close match in scores from the placed ball but on Sunday the gap was 1-3 and that was considerable in a game where Mayo had twice as many yellow cards... so is life...

Ger from Omagh (Tyrone) - Posts: 109 - 28/08/2013 12:31:31    1470005

Link

Ger from Omagh, deegan gave tyrone 3 soft frees in the second half where boyle dispossessed cavanagh, cafferkey didnt touch mcaliskey and coney actually had a hold of cafferkey. Tyrone kicked 2 of them wide. He gave us both soft frees, we kicked more of them over (and under) the bar. The goal should have stood also, so swings and roundabouts.

Anyway, hard luck to all in tyrone. I hope you will get behind us in the final.

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 28/08/2013 16:57:32    1470345

Link

Martinprince.

Clearly not from Tyrone. Can you change your county name to whatever county you are from?

tyroneed (Tyrone) - Posts: 667 - 28/08/2013 20:42:46    1470534

Link

TheMaster
County: Mayo

Tyrone were awarded frees when the game was lost. For the goal that wasn't it could have been blown up for over-carrying if you count the steps...

Ger from Omagh (Tyrone) - Posts: 109 - 29/08/2013 08:29:32    1470630

Link

Ger from Omagh
County: Tyrone

TheMaster

Tyrone were awarded frees when the game was lost. For the goal that wasn't it could have been blown up for over-carrying if you count the steps...
Nearly every goal can be blown up for over carrying.

The Face (Monaghan) - Posts: 890 - 30/08/2013 09:04:02    1471215

Link

Lads, for god sake, ye were beaten fair and square and by a superior outfit, simple as. For Mickey Harte to be complaining about unfair hits, refs decisions etc makes you out to be sore losers. Ye had yer day in the sun and while ye didn't play the most attractive football, you still have 3 All Irelands which no one can take away from you. Move on from this Mayo defeat cos we are sick of yer whinging at this stage.

Top_Synopsis (Mayo) - Posts: 98 - 30/08/2013 09:16:28    1471218

Link

30/08/2013 09:16:28
Top_Synopsis

1471218 Lads, for god sake, ye were beaten fair and square and by a superior outfit, simple as. For Mickey Harte to be complaining about unfair hits, refs decisions etc makes you out to be sore losers. Ye had yer day in the sun and while ye didn't play the most attractive football, you still have 3 All Irelands which no one can take away from you. Move on from this Mayo defeat cos we are sick of yer whinging at this stage.

No doubt the best team won. Although the borderline calls went the way of Mayo they didn't impact on the result.I've seen softer penalty decisions but I can't remember where. You're hardly an authority to talk about playing attractive football. Have you watched the All Ireland Finals of 2005 and 2008 or are you just buying into the myth created by the southern media? Plenty of attractive football played by both teams.

GrizzlyAdams (Tyrone) - Posts: 576 - 30/08/2013 09:37:01    1471230

Link

I don't agree with Top-Syn there about Tyrone's football. Over the years I've really enjoyed some of the great stuff ye've played and ye were the first to really adapt team selection to the tactics employed, thus transforming things into a genuine panel as opposed to first 15 approach. Mayo under JH have followed more in Tyrone's footsteps in this regard than any other model. Where we differ is in not appearing quite so defensive because we tend to defend as high up the pitch as possible rather than pulling players back. This just happens to suit the players we have right now.

The reason you got such negative press over the decade was because you failed to read the script laid down by the brigade of Kerry pundits, so needed to be branded as some sort of vile orks to devalue your achievements (and not all Kerry folk went along with this). One of the unintended consequences of partition is that the press/media in the South has a proportionately low representation of Northern contributors, so Northern teams suffer from unbalanced commentary. We all know how the press love their stereotypes, but you still have those well-earned AI's, and no amount of sour grapes can ever erase those achievements. Remember, they only talk about you if you're worth talking about!

Good luck for next year!

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1937 - 30/08/2013 14:45:54    1471468

Link