Tyrone Forum

Tyrone Senior Football Championship...

(Oldest Posts First)

Omagh or Errigal??

Any views on this weekends clash between Omagh and Errigal?

SIDEshowBOB (Tyrone) - Posts: 167 - 04/09/2012 11:04:14    1258767

Link

Omagh- perennial pretenders yet again......just dont have the steel for it when it comes to the bit and lost their discipline once again. Recovered well in the second half though from a thorough trouncing in the first.

countysir (Tyrone) - Posts: 26 - 10/09/2012 10:32:54    1262937

Link

countysir
County: Tyrone

1262937 Omagh- perennial pretenders yet again......just dont have the steel for it when it comes to the bit and lost their discipline once again. Recovered well in the second half though from a thorough trouncing in the first.

Insightful analysis alright. What is it you mean by steel? There was a kick of the ball between the two teams at the end and Omagh had their chances as well as being slightly unluck on a few occasions. A through ball in the second half was about six inches too high. As regards a thorough trouncing in the first half Errigal were playing with a substantial breeze and made it count with a number of excellent long range points. There were two very defining moments, first when JD made an excellent save from Conan Grugan and the Errigal goal right on half time. I said to my mate that if Omagh went in only 3-4 down they would win and the goal made it 6. Omagh absolutely bossed the second half with Errigal failing to score from play including what I thought was a very soft free at the end when the Errigal player blatantly overcarried, however it did not impact on the result as Omagh needed a goal in any case. With regards to discipline, the game was niggly throughout from both sides with off the ball blocking late hits and sly digs going in all over the place. The real indiscipline started with Daisy's challenge on an Omagh defender which Mr O'Hagan rightly sent him off for albeit taking the easy option of showing a second yellow. From then on it degenerated virtually into a rugby match. Hugh Gallagher was deservedly sent off for striking however he was not the only one to do so yet was the only one sent off. Omagh had quite a few chances and missed a number of handy scoring opportunities which perhaps fell to the wrong man at the wrong time, however pretenders they are not. This game was a 50/50 call, with probably Errigal being slight favourites due to the fact that two of Omagh's best players Joe/Ronan were not playing and if these teams played tonight again a different result would be very possible. So good luck to Errigal in the semi, they made more of the chances they got and deserved just about to win the game.

omaghredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 3656 - 10/09/2012 12:48:16    1263096

Link

Who will come through the Errigal and Carmen match to meet Dromore in the final? A Dromore v Carmen final would have a serious bit of bite about it considering the recent history of these 2 teams.

tyronetom (Tyrone) - Posts: 81 - 10/09/2012 13:39:07    1263176

Link

A paltry 6 scores and a meagre 4 points will hardly win many games. Dromore/Carrickmore final probably to be played behind closed doors in Lourdes

GrizzlyAdams (Tyrone) - Posts: 576 - 10/09/2012 15:30:47    1263326

Link

GrizzlyAdams

1263326 A paltry 6 scores and a meagre 4 points will hardly win many games. Dromore/Carrickmore final probably to be played behind closed doors in Lourdes

You are right 6 scores will hardly win many games and there was another goal chance and maybe 3-4 easy point chances missed which would and should have taken it to approx 3-8 which will win most games, fine margins. On another note our U16s score 18 points against Errigal during the week and were beat by 6 points Errigal scoring 6-6. Not often you will score a third more than your opponent and still get beat.

omaghredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 3656 - 10/09/2012 15:36:50    1263339

Link

I see the bookies have Dromore as massive favourites for the championship, and rightly so. If as expected they go on to win the county title, who will they play in the Ulster Club?

tyronetom (Tyrone) - Posts: 81 - 11/09/2012 09:21:31    1263796

Link

Tyrone winners away to the Cavan winners in preliminary round

GrizzlyAdams (Tyrone) - Posts: 576 - 11/09/2012 10:24:04    1263857

Link

I see the Hoganstand is running a story that Marty Swifty may be coming home for the semi-final. Story is that he was asked to come home, but definitely won't be. It would have been some addition especially with Dermot Carlin injured.

tyronetom (Tyrone) - Posts: 81 - 11/09/2012 16:31:47    1264270

Link

After last year's League Final antics and concurrent suspensions/expulsions from winning the League I think its rather ironic that it will be a Dromore Carmen final. Errigal are perennial underachievers. Up Carmen!

carmen92 (Tyrone) - Posts: 25 - 16/09/2012 20:24:39    1267199

Link

Theres no doubt Dromore will be in the final, but Errigal still cant be discounted. Dromore v Carmen is the final everyone wants to see.

tyronetom (Tyrone) - Posts: 81 - 16/09/2012 21:35:00    1267257

Link

carmen92

1267199 After last year's League Final antics and concurrent suspensions/expulsions from winning the League I think its rather ironic that it will be a Dromore Carmen final. Errigal are perennial underachievers. Up Carmen!

Yeah I suppose 6 championships and 2 Ulster Club championships in 22 years is a sign of "perennial underachievement." Whats that a championship every 6.5 years?

Carrickmore have 15 championships every 6 years on average in their 80 year history and no Ulster clubs. What does that make them?

omaghredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 3656 - 17/09/2012 12:54:15    1267501

Link

Tyronetom

"Dromore v Carmen is the final everyone wants to see."

Not me......Dromore vs Errigal is my final with Errigal to take their 7th Championship. Either way Errigal Carmen is going to be a cracking semi and either team will be worthy finalist.

As for Errigal being perennial underachievers, fair point for last 5 or 6 years as they have made the transition from the Peter era but there have been a few league titles in recent years which is exactly the springboard the current Dromore team used for their recent record of 4 out of the last 5 championsip finals and 3 titles.

countysir (Tyrone) - Posts: 26 - 17/09/2012 13:44:56    1267567

Link

Dromore will not make the same mistake again on Friday night. They probably took Killyclogher for granted. Mind you, Killyclogher showed an unreal level of fitness and a great system in place. Thought the ref gave Dromore a few easy scorable frees as well!!

tyronetom (Tyrone) - Posts: 81 - 24/09/2012 08:55:55    1271410

Link