Sligo Forum

Tyrone V Sligo

(Oldest Posts First)

I'm sure Carew is well aware of the high attrition rate of managers in the county over the years and I'd say his future hangs on the outcome of the Tyrone game. Not many outsiders will be giving Sligo a chance on Saturday week, but a little bit of cuteness (if Carew does Cuteness) could see us into a quarter final. I think we need to sacrifice an inside forward (possibly Kelly) and find a man (or 2) that will live in Cavanaghs jocks for the 70mins, could Gilmartin do that job? EOH alluded to it last Sunday night, Sligo need to nullify Davey Harte and cut out his scoring threat and link up play, if we can do that we give ourselves a chance.... Croker is new territory for most of this Sligo team so they should embrace the occasion and empty the tank, they may never get the opportunity to play Tyrone in CP again.

HotFuzz (Sligo) - Posts: 68 - 22/07/2015 20:56:52    1757772

Link

Any decision yet about club games that weekend. Most people who travel will probably stay on in Dublin that night as second game will not finish till 8pm so earliest you could be on road home is about 9pm. Doubt if CCC will fix any games for that sunday ????

Tommy Murphy (Sligo) - Posts: 176 - 22/07/2015 21:14:20    1757784

Link

Hotfuzz, Davey Harte retired years ago so he won't be much of a threat.Unfortunately, Sligo have no chance of beating Tyrone just as Sligo had no chance of beating Mayo last Sunday.That's the reality despite what may be written on these and other pages.Tyrone are gathering some momentum that could well bring them as far as an All-Ireland semi final or final this year.Like the Rossies,Sligo will soon be looking to 2016.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1079 - 22/07/2015 21:20:24    1757789

Link

End Game, this Tyrone team are nothing special, I wouldn't think Sligo should have much fear of them, I would only see a point or 2 in it. Yes most Sligo people were realistic to know we didn't have a hope against Mayo but bad tactics led to the scoreline

Hotfuzz - Peter Harte is who you meant....but Carew's job is at no risk, his target for year would have been stay in Div 3 and Connacht final and he achieved both. Hopefully he continues to build on this very young team

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 332 - 23/07/2015 09:52:48    1757833

Link

I feel like Sligo could cause an upset here...been completely written off (and rightly so) cause of an emabrrassment against Mayo but once the shame of that wears off and pride kicks in I think we could put it up to them as Tyrone will be a big step down on that Mayo team....Throwback to 2002 when we could have made an AI semi final (i think?) if Dara McGarty had gone for a goal against Armagh instead of a point in the last minute of game!!Will be great to see the team line out in Croke Park again in final 12 of country, I think even that in itself is a successful year by Sligo's current standards!

Exemption (Sligo) - Posts: 37 - 23/07/2015 10:33:36    1757857

Link

Tyrone are not the same outfit they were 10 years ago. Very heavily reliant on Cavanagh and Harte and young mc correy can kick a score given space. Id fancy maye (who i taught did quite well on sunday to be honest) or donovan to do well on him. Cavanagh im afraid will eat egan alive so id play curran as a sweeper and get him to nearly double mark cavanagh. i'd try ewing on harte, i know he may not be as big a name but he's as tough and as fit as we have, just tell him to follow him for the whole 70 mins as he'd make mince meat of brehany IMO. Id bring hughes out around the middle aswell as an added bit of physicality and leave kelly and Marren inside. Hopefully the hurt of last weekend will ignite a fire in the lads and they can perform like they did against the Rossies. They have it in them!

grassroots14 (Sligo) - Posts: 94 - 23/07/2015 12:49:10    1757945

Link

There are shock results from time to time in GAA Football. But it will surely be the shock of the decade if ye bring down Tyrone.
Tyrone, like Mayo, are a team on the way down, but Sligo have showed nothing to suggest they are within 12 points of them. It is only 2 years ago since ye fell to London. Ross were so so lucky to be at full tilt for the early games in the League but they will not win a game in the top tier next year. They believed Evans and ye rightly caught them on the hop. "We scored 2-11 of Mayo and missed to goals due to their great keeper". Yes Indeed,but nothing can be read into this game from the start of the 7th minute, when it was over as a contest. Not even the Dubs would try to go man for man with any top team yet your manager choose to, and paid the price. Tyrone as has been pointed out are not the team they were,or anything like it. Yet they are very well managed and hard to beat for any team. They will win this at a canter...

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 412 - 23/07/2015 13:56:45    1758007

Link

Shock of the decade? Surely that award goes to Longford beating yerselves in 2010

Bookies would seem to agree with you that we have no chance, I like when we are written off

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 332 - 23/07/2015 16:51:00    1758120

Link

Martin Joe in fairness Roscommon in their early league game only drew with Cavan and lost by 7 points to Laois, credit where credit is due they recovered to deservedly gain promotion however they aren't a top eight and will be relegated back to div 2 next year.

Tyrone even though got relegated are a top 8 side and should get promoted back to div one next year. They won't go for goals like Mayo did last week but are more than capable of scoring over 20 points against Sligo. Tyrone beat Mayo in the league in MacHale Park a respectable showing is the best Sligo can hope for.

Mr_Pundit (UK) - Posts: 677 - 23/07/2015 16:59:44    1758127

Link

Good luck tomorrow. Up Connacht!

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9820 - 31/07/2015 08:56:26    1761515

Link

Cheers Yew Tree, It would be nice to have 3 Connacht teams in Croke Park for double header next weekend

Probability is tho, we will be relying solely on Mayo to represent the West again this year

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 332 - 31/07/2015 11:01:08    1761584

Link

Let's hope these boys can recover from CF hangover and play to their potential. Win lose or draw, they have my support.
Interesting to see how we set up for this one.

Tradmyass (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 31/07/2015 12:15:42    1761632

Link

Let's hope these boys can recover from CF hangover and play to their potential. Win lose or draw, they have my support.
Interesting to see how we set up for this one.

Tradmyass (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 31/07/2015 12:15:49    1761633

Link

Cant believe we have the same team starting as CF, 6-20 conceded from play and 12 Mayo players scored and we lost by 26 points, surely a manager must make some changes, nobody accountable? Or is it that we have no bench, the last time we played Tyrone back in 02, we lost to Galway in the Connaught Final by 3 points(I think)for the qualifier against Tyrone there were 6 changes and we beat Tyrone, anyway I wish the lads the best of luck

popejohn1 (Sligo) - Posts: 1 - 31/07/2015 13:10:55    1761670

Link

Can't imagine that it's going to be the same 15 pope. As is the norm with a lot of managers these days they don't like to reveal there hand right up until the last minute. It'll be very close to the same 15 v mayo though with one maybe 2 changes

ih8towniecints (Sligo) - Posts: 42 - 31/07/2015 13:55:19    1761692

Link

Before the Mayo match I got hammered for being a pessimist but I now see that its the norm for this game. Tyrone are no Mayo when it comes to putting up big scores. The will be set up to prevent scores against at all costs and to hit on the counter. Anybody who studies Tyrone football will see that under Harte the style has hardly changed at all. Cavanagh still takes it down the line and draws defenders out of position before laying off.Hope Sligo forget about the Mayo match and get stuck in and be prepared to hurt and get hurt all within the rules(Tyrone rules even).If this is the case its anybodys game.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 204 - 31/07/2015 16:23:45    1761770

Link