Sligo Forum

A message to the County Board

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Was only a matter of time before London took a scalp in Connacht. Other teams have scraped out with a win in recent years...like Mayo, Leitrim.
Didnt approve of O Haras rant....timing was wrong looked like sour grapes.
Maybe he will take the reins of manager in the near future and turn things around...then he can speak out.

kingofclubs (Meath) - Posts: 232 - 27/05/2013 17:00:26    1392788

Link

O hara was completely right with his actions last night and i feal that it was right to let this be known publicly. sligo football is in a very sad place at the moment especially after the defeat to London yesterday. Even though people are saying that Sligo were unlucky to be bet by such a narrow margin. It was londons first game to win in the connaght championship in 36 years ,this tells its own stories. I simply cannot believe that a team that trains 4 or 5 times a week and in the professional mannor that they do so can be bet by a division 4 team. something just doesnt add up and this has to be down to poor management. people tend to say this week that sligo just arent good enough. they say that there isnt 15 good enough players in sligo.... are there 15 good enough players in Donegal? 3 years ago donegal were in this same mess as sligo face today and look at them now. this is all down to one man... the same man that applied for the sligo job in 08 and the county board wouldnt even give the man an interview..? its because of these people we are in this position that we are in. people are only there for the status and not for their love of sligo football.

David kelly, one of sligo's key players has missed this season (and most of last years season) due to an ankle injury he received last year playing with his college DCU. KEvin Walsh should have told him that if he was serious about his football with Sligo that he would sit out this season with DCU and be flying fit for sligos coming season. but no Walsh of course lets him play with his college and risks that this injury may re occur which may see kelly sit out another 6-7 months of sligos season. can you imagine the difference David Kelly would have made to Sligo this year if Walsh made one good decision? do you think we would be in the position we are in today?Did we see Mark Mc Hugh play for the IT this year against sligo ? didnt think so... and he proved yesterday the difference to Donegal he makes.However i still think that it is time for KEvin walsh to hang up his boots... he has had 6 seasons with us so far and won nothing important.. yesterdays team was a joke i thought and no dis respect to any player. Walsh made a huge mistake yesterday in allowing mayo native, James Kilcullen fly out on the morning of a game to play after allready playing for his club the previous day. However the same man said in january that he wanted full commitment from all of his players and those who werent able to buy into this could hit the road.. O hara being one of these men. I feel that it is a discrace that Eamon o Hara was given the exit in which he was giving after all the service he gave sligo football down through the years. he would have been ideal to bring on for 20 mins yesterday when london went down to 14 men. but this again is poor management.again i might be totally wrong with my view on this and would be open to any comments... the real reason we are all on this is because of our love for sligo football. I believe that sligo can do anything they want of they get the right management and county board... just look at donegal.

I agree totally with sligonian and all that he says.. he speaks the truth...

tubber678 (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 27/05/2013 20:59:01    1393062

Link

O hara was completely right with his actions last night and i feal that it was right to let this be known publicly. sligo football is in a very sad place at the moment especially after the defeat to London yesterday. Even though people are saying that Sligo were unlucky to be bet by such a narrow margin. It was londons first game to win in the connaght championship in 36 years ,this tells its own stories. I simply cannot believe that a team that trains 4 or 5 times a week and in the professional mannor that they do so can be bet by a division 4 team. something just doesnt add up and this has to be down to poor management. people tend to say this week that sligo just arent good enough. they say that there isnt 15 good enough players in sligo.... are there 15 good enough players in Donegal? 3 years ago donegal were in this same mess as sligo face today and look at them now. this is all down to one man... the same man that applied for the sligo job in 08 and the county board wouldnt even give the man an interview..? its because of these people we are in this position that we are in. people are only there for the status and not for their love of sligo football.

David kelly, one of sligo's key players has missed this season (and most of last years season) due to an ankle injury he received last year playing with his college DCU. KEvin Walsh should have told him that if he was serious about his football with Sligo that he would sit out this season with DCU and be flying fit for sligos coming season. but no Walsh of course lets him play with his college and risks that this injury may re occur which may see kelly sit out another 6-7 months of sligos season. can you imagine the difference David Kelly would have made to Sligo this year if Walsh made one good decision? do you think we would be in the position we are in today?Did we see Mark Mc Hugh play for the IT this year against sligo ? didnt think so... and he proved yesterday the difference to Donegal he makes.However i still think that it is time for KEvin walsh to hang up his boots... he has had 6 seasons with us so far and won nothing important.. yesterdays team was a joke i thought and no dis respect to any player. Walsh made a huge mistake yesterday in allowing mayo native, James Kilcullen fly out on the morning of a game to play after allready playing for his club the previous day. However the same man said in january that he wanted full commitment from all of his players and those who werent able to buy into this could hit the road.. O hara being one of these men. I feel that it is a discrace that Eamon o Hara was given the exit in which he was giving after all the service he gave sligo football down through the years. he would have been ideal to bring on for 20 mins yesterday when london went down to 14 men. but this again is poor management.again i might be totally wrong with my view on this and would be open to any comments... the real reason we are all on this is because of our love for sligo football. I believe that sligo can do anything they want of they get the right management and county board... just look at donegal.

I agree totally with sligonian and all that he says.. he speaks the truth...

tubber678 (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 27/05/2013 21:00:09    1393065

Link

listened and read alot of stuff in relation to sligo gaa this last 24 hrs.need to break this mess down.huge financial problem=county board.Team selection=kevin walsh.could e o h have done a job on a tight surface/grounds in london yesterday.most certaintly yes.had sligo the correct starting team.probaly not.i would have a fair knowledge of club football in connaught and sligo club football is there or thereabouts .walsh himself seems very rigid with his squad.spread of players doesnt add up in relation to county repesentation.eg drumcliff rosses pt top of div 2 lge had no player on starting 15 yesterday.at least 4 of sligos subs yesterday should have started.kilkenny pick hurlers on form.sligo pick foootballers on reputation.on a final note.maybe london has done us a massive favour and e o h as well.o hara is guaranteed to retain his jersey on the sunday game pannel for year and leitrim would probaly hav kicked us out the gate in a months time.emlyn mulligan would have had a field day against that starting sligo half back line

larson (Sligo) - Posts: 1 - 27/05/2013 21:58:50    1393159

Link

tubber678

Sorry but you are in a world of your own. David Kelly would make no difference to the Sligo set up yesterday. If he was playing all it would have done was prolong the agony if we managed to scrap a win. We have now hit the bottom. Only light is that we have survived in Div 3. There is no way Walsh is gonna step down now that certain people are hounding him. The exec wont sack him cos they looking over their shoulder as several of them are not up to their job. Walsh will stay till we get put out of our misery hopefully the next match and then he wont be re appointed.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 635 - 27/05/2013 22:00:49    1393160

Link

i wouldnt get too disheartened lads. The way london have been shaping it was only a matter of time before the took a scalp in the championship. Mayo have been in dark places too AI semi 93 bet by 20 points bet in conn final in 94 by Leitrim and in 2010 by longford in qualifiers to namme but a few. Emotions will be raw for a few days but there is no reason why Sligo football cant come back from this. At the end of the day ye are still in the qualifiers so a bit of a run in that might be no harm either. ther is going to be a good few weak teams in the first round so a nice home draw could work wonders. Heads Up!!

pray4sam (Mayo) - Posts: 90 - 27/05/2013 22:03:09    1393165

Link

Eoinog
I appreciate your opinion and i can see where you are coming from... you are right in a way that Kelly wouldn't have made much of a difference to Sligos setup on Sunday, but we all seen what he and Marren can do when together for example Galway last year. It was always going to be a recipe for disaster. However i do think that the county board should certainly sack Kevin Walsh and i feel that this should have been done last year. Walsh had a great win against his very own Galway last year and I think that he was living off that game in some regards to secure him as Sligo manager. I think its time for the county board to come in and take action at this stage and get a replacement for Walsh for the qualifiers but then again were not sure if they will even interview the right man and indeed agree on someone who is interested in the future of Sligo GAA.. In my opinion, Walsh does not deserve another year and even another game..young blood needs to be injected into the county board. New ideas and fresh ways of thinking... people who actually care about Sligo Gaa and not about the status that is upon themor because there known as 'big shots'.It think that it is a discrace that a mayo man (james Killcullen) gets treated with more respect than Eamon O hara after all the service he has giving Sligo.I don't know about you but i have been to every league game this season and some of the performances have been a joke... eg monaghan.... its a tough time for the club and all involved but we deserve more than what we are getting and indeed the players deserve more too.
Prayforsam i agree we need to stick together and keep our heads up.. it will make the victories that bit sweeter.

tubber678 (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 28/05/2013 08:45:19    1393187

Link

Eamon O'Hara has inadvertently thrown a life line to Kevin Walsh by criticising the county board. The will dig their heels in now. We have the same problem in Galway. The only way supporters in any county can influence the board is by staying away from games in big numbers. Money talks in the board room..

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 941 - 28/05/2013 09:43:16    1393225

Link

pray4sam, i know mayo have had bad runs in the past and they always bounce back but you cant compare that
with whats going on in sligo at the moment. The problems in sligo football didnt just happen at 4 oclock last sunday
it runs far deeper than that. its right through the entire structure of Sligo GAA. But hopefully it will take something like
this to blow open this festering pit and get things sorted out once and for all. The senior team will back in the year or two with a new manager, but
thats not where the root of this problem lies.

HotFuzz (Sligo) - Posts: 68 - 28/05/2013 09:59:50    1393234

Link

Eoinog
I appreciate your opinion and i can see where you are coming from... you are right in a way that Kelly wouldn't have made much of a difference to Sligos setup on Sunday. It was always going to be a recipe for disaster. However i do think that the county board should certainly sack Kevin Walsh and i feal that this should have been done last year. Walsh had a great win against his very own Galway last year and i think that he was living off that game in some regards to secure him as Sligo manager. I think its time for the county board to come in and take action at this stage and get a replacement for walsh for the qualifiers but then again were not sure if they will even interview the right man and indeed agree on someone who is interested in the future of Sligo GAA.. Walsh does not deserve another year and even another game..It think that it is a discrace that a mayo man gets treated with more respect than Eamon O hara after all the service he has giving Sligo.I don't know about you but i have been to every league game this season and some of the performances have been a joke... eg monaghan.... its a tough time for the club and all involved but we deserve more than what we are getting and indeed the players deserve more too.
Prayforsam i agree we need to stick together and keep our heads up.. it will make the victories that bit sweeter

tubber678 (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 28/05/2013 10:16:01    1393244

Link

Giveitlong i completely agree with what you are saying. but its time for kevin walsh to step down and do the county board a favour in some respects. i dont think many people would turn up to games anyway with him in charge. we kneed a fresh thinking on things and a new manager.. the county board should think that if they get a new manager and sack walsh that alot of people will respect them far more.. aswell as turn up to games to see how they preform under a new man. as i said before do you think that there are 15 good footballers on the donegal team ? no but however mc Guinnes has put a system in place and they stick by him and believe in him.. they are athletes. He kneeds to go before qualifiers..

tubber678 (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 28/05/2013 10:21:27    1393255

Link

O hara is a disgrace to yer county in my opinion, was it not a few weeks ago he stated on national radio he does not care about football this year and wants to concentrate on his media career, ye lost to a team who are improving the whole time a team that took mayo the whole way last year lads wake up and don't be fooled by o hara. Sour grapes bout time he just moved on

Acountyman (Limerick) - Posts: 235 - 28/05/2013 10:26:47    1393260

Link

acountyman
how are limrick doing this year? Eamon O hara is sligos most decorated footballer. I Dont recall hearing him say that but he is coming towards the end of his career.. there is no way in this world that you can come out with a statement like that saying that he doesnt care about football.... he never drank or smoke in his life and dedicated himself to this game for all of his life.. he was damn right to say what he said and i respect him even more for it.. hopefully things will get sorted out in sligo over this publicity.

tubber678 (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 28/05/2013 10:53:45    1393293

Link

we live in a time where there are scandals been uncovered and we all look back and say "if i knew what was going on back then i would have said somthing". The fact is the mentality still seems to be that you don't speak your mind in public about your own area, county etc. There is only one question we need to ask ourselves is did EOH speak the truth, as far as i can see he did and we need more people like him doing so.

TimtheEnchanter (Sligo) - Posts: 309 - 28/05/2013 11:05:34    1393305

Link

Well i guess the headline story on the homepage says it all, County Board stand by Kevin Walsh. I urge every sligo supporter to boycot the next Sligo match and then they might take notice

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 298 - 28/05/2013 11:50:50    1393369

Link

lads think about it! do u really think the county board would come out and say he is sacked? not a hope of that happening. its the usual rubbish being spouted from them. id say the panel will meet and discuss there options from here before there will be any real statement about if he goes or not! i dont agree with fans not going to games to try to show the county board there feelings as that is not fair on the players. remember these are lads that every year give up there lives for the shirt! they give a comment level tha is beyond 99% of us on this site or in the county! lets be honest who here would do it? not going to games is not fair on the players at all. i support them 100%.

kevin welsh needs to be a man and admit he has failed and leave now for the sake of sligo football. he has never been good enough for the job. the players deserve better, they deserve a manager with a basic knowledge of tactics and how to implement a system based on the pool of players he has at his disposal kevin welsh has never been able to do this! he has them playing this imitation defensive system but it is clear that all the players know how to do is to retreat back! no plan on what they are suppose to do when the get back or what positions each player is suppose to take up once they are back there. he has also brought in this keep possession policy with no plan or sense to it at all! playing the ball continuously backward to static players is simply a stupid plan which allows other teams to get back defend in numbers and makes sure that sligo can not penetrate the opposition defense! these are really simple things that any manager in today's game can communicate the correct way of doing to their players welsh has time and time again failed to do!!!

sligo are not a bad team, they have some quality players and there commitment level and dedication are right up there all i hope is they get the correct manager who can harness there talents and give them the platform to perform that they deserve.

rich dublin (None) - Posts: 425 - 28/05/2013 12:15:13    1393397

Link

Republican there are solutions and it will take more than one man, keep the faith.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1486 - 28/05/2013 19:18:08    1393911

Link

Sligo gaa don't have to look to far for an example of how to turn things around.
Sligo Rovers were nearly gone and look what they have done and where they are now.
Nothing is impossible.

allSOran (Sligo) - Posts: 690 - 29/05/2013 09:28:16    1394100

Link

A very interesting video chronicling the current strife in Sligo GAA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIOcyoAG8w

An_Leine_Dubh (Sligo) - Posts: 49 - 19/06/2013 15:08:39    1410789

Link