Sligo Forum

Sligo football is currently at its lowest ebb..

(Oldest Posts First)

Sligo football is currently at its lowest ebb in almost a decade. On the cusp of a return to Division 4 football (where it will be an absolute dogfight to get out of and it can take years), our U-21s hammered by Galway and our Minors not looking like they will fare much better this year. Sligo Rovers and Sligo Rugby Club are doing looking after their own and promoting their games with brilliant committees and structures in place which is leading both codes to success (Premier League titles and maintaining AIL 2B status). Where does this leave Sligo GAA? Since early 2000s, all of the County Boards focus has been put into the Sligo Senior Team and this is getting worse under the current County Executive. It is Tuesday today with still no full Club Fixtures up on the Sligo GAA Website (No times or days fixed!) and it is the Easter Bank Holiday weekend where the grassroots of the GAA would like to plan a night or two away. But how can this happen with no fixtures up? Absolute joke. Nearly in April and no Club Championship Draws made. Joke. Players getting included in County Senior Panels when the management didnt even know that the player in question is still a Minor. County U-21 manager doesn't even start him or another Senior panellist on the team for Championship last week. Player in question brought on as a sub against Fermanagh last weekend. Joke. The bottom line in Sligo GAA is that the players aren't coming through, there is nothing there. However, this problem is augmented by farcical Committees, politics filled Management teams and individual agendas at County Board level. Sligo will be lucky to get over London this year. Might have a sneaky bet on the Exiles. Sligo can forget about GAA until such a time as Club Football in the County is put first again and all of the County's resources are re-directed towards underage coaching.

ctevez (Sligo) - Posts: 29 - 26/03/2013 14:22:59    1356661

Link

Its not often im stuck for words but may I firmly congratulate "ctevez" on his excellent piece. Sligo Gaa is indeed in a shambolic state in my opinion
I think the great Dr, Seuss got it perfect when he stated: Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple." My SimPle answer, NEW BLOOD VERY QUICKLY!!!!!!!

sligeach.yeats (Sligo) - Posts: 9 - 27/03/2013 20:43:02    1357666

Link

Kevin Walsh has been given too much credit for Sligo wins over Galway. Subsequent results have shown that Galway are a very poor side who have not won a championship game outside connacht for 9 years.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 941 - 28/03/2013 10:29:48    1357788

Link

Major problem is that all managers have their own agenda... It must be impossible to be manager of Sligo minor team when Summerhill would not release their players for Co training till they got knocked out of their college footballl. Same with Attractas. Our co minors last week had to play without those players and it will be the same this weekend. Those schools form the basis of the county minor panel are if they not releasing players then you cant have a team. There was co minor trials and the standard of club footballers from a lot of clubs were very poor hence the domination of those schools on teams because they are getting better coaching....
At senior I honestly believe that the best players on the county are on the senior panel. There are always 1 or 2 who wont adhere to discipline and sadly they have to be left behind but thats a choice they make and it happens in every code of sport.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 635 - 28/03/2013 11:21:18    1357827

Link

Well "ctevez" I can agree with most of what your saying. It is extremely poor how lads don't know what time or day there playing in a weeks time. Trying to get work off is hard and a lot players need money now more then ever. The county board give the impression they don't care about most club team in Sligo. It really turns a lot of younger lads off GAA. However I don't understand how this said player being on the senior panel is a joke? It is clear he will be the next big thing out of Sligo. All though he didn't start the u21 game he was brought on early in the first half. It leaves a lot of Question to be answered by the management as to why they didn't start him.

westside93 (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 28/03/2013 12:26:14    1357874

Link

The current Sligo Manager had two interviews for the Roscommon job and when that didn't work he committed to Sligo, says it all really.

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 298 - 28/03/2013 15:28:45    1358029

Link

Attracta's just qualified for the senior B all Ireland final with an emphatic 12 point win. It's not all that bad! Cheer up!

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 256 - 30/03/2013 16:24:19    1358851

Link