Sligo Forum

FBD Final

(Oldest Posts First)

I was a very disappointed supporter after the match yesterday, firstly because the way sligo played was terrible from start to finish, no game plan forwards were terrible. James Clarke at centre forward was never going to work he is not a play maker, Brian egan is not the answer either, even at club level he can do nothing from play and dont even get me started on Kenneth Sweeney he has got too many chances now at this stage. The quicker we get the likes of Stephen Coen and Pat Hughes back the better and play Mark Breheny at centre forward.

harps2588 (Sligo) - Posts: 75 - 28/01/2013 14:07:41    1324826

Link

Unfortunatly another case of Sligo falling flat on their face at the final hurdle. A win yesterday would have been a great boost to confidence for the upcoming league. Another chance of silverware blown. However you cannot deny Leitrim their success. They keep battling despite the obstacles and their commitment to the cause is a lession to all. While the FBD league may not have been on Sligo's list of priorities, surely after reaching the final, they could have buried the final hoodoo once and for all.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2750 - 28/01/2013 15:01:59    1324853

Link

Stephen Coen and Pat Hughes back for the league? Kelly,O'Hara,Costello are out and i take it only half of Sligo's first team started yesterday.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2403 - 28/01/2013 16:58:18    1324926

Link

Any postmatch analysis by Harps2588 has to be taken with a pinch of salt because of his longtime vendetta against some players. I detected no difference in Sligo's play in the second half yesterday despite the two players he mentioned being replaced.The style of attacking play by Sligo this year is going to lead to disaster as it is too predictable and too slow.Emlyn Mulligan was the outstanding player on show yesterday and Leitrim used him to maximum effect especially in the second half when Sligo were all huff and no puff. If he had any quality help Leitrim would be difficult opponents for any county.As for'' harps numerical'' I suppose it is hard to accept being consigned to the lower reaches of the Championship by one of the players you continually snipe at.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 203 - 28/01/2013 19:15:36    1325007

Link

sligo football is in a bad place.there seems to be no gameplan watsoever,or is it that they have one but cant execute it on the day ??anybody that has watched leitrim play in the last two years would have known thats exactly how they play all the time,crowd there defence and quick counter attack up to mulligan.it wasnt a masterplan but how come the sligo management and players couldnt tell this was goin to happen?how come there wasnt a good manmarker on mulligan?quinn was slow and pace is mulligans weak link everything from leitrims midfield goes through mulligan.sligos build up play is way too laboured side to side with fist passing giving leitrim plenty a time to get back in defence to crowd it and win possesion back.the only way to counter act there defence was quick ball into the forwards this did happen on a couple of occasions but was kicked away out to the wing and leitrim defence was back organised again.is sligo doing any kick passing in training at all?everything seems to be short hand passing going nowwhere and using up a load of energy in the procees.why cant the sligo half forwards run at leitrims defence and ask questions of them?they never did this sunday.are they lacking the confidence to do this?roscommon won a connacht title in 2010 with a simple gameplan run at the defence draw the free ,freetaker hits it over the bar.it not pretty to watch but would be no worse than sundays masterplan.leitrim beat sligo in 2011 in the championship with the same gameplan as sunday.when will management and players learn?there not getting any younger.

oldharps (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 30/01/2013 19:23:26    1325950

Link

Im not sure what Magpie is referring when he responds to Harps2588 when he says that Haprs have "being consigned to the lower reaches of the Championship by one of the players you continually snipe at" Who is he referring to I wonder . . . Kennath Sweeney who didnt play against harps in Championship this year, in fact Geevagh were in a relegation battle or James Clarke who was playing Junior football up unitl last year. Also what does he mean about the lower reaches of the Championship, in the last 6 years Harps have been in 4 county finals, a semi final and a Q Final, hardly the lower reaches of the Championship. In the last 20 years there has not been a team to match Eastern Harps's superiority. They have never failed to make the knock out stages of the Championship and have been in 11 county final in 20 years. . . not bad going.

FB3 (Sligo) - Posts: 4 - 31/01/2013 12:57:36    1326184

Link

They won the u14 last year and it is a decent team, John Bruen has them well coached. I agree they have done very little work on under age in the club in the last few years in developing players for the future,you have a fair point - when is the last time you seen a harps player on u16, minor or under 21 county team. I did not even see any player in development squads. Maybe they should look at dividing their large area for underage? Tis hard to believe that they get 50- 70 kids for u8- under 10 and cannot bring any of those players forward. it is not a dig at the club as have some good friends their and they agree with me. In that under age group there is proably a future Paul Taylor but might not be strong at that level and requires plenty of coaching. If he is standing on the sideline for a few years with 20-30 other lads they lose interest as does the parents and move on to other sports.

sligodomain (Sligo) - Posts: 88 - 01/02/2013 09:53:34    1326533

Link

Its that silly time of year again when we bring up the subject of biggest clubs.... Maybe I am wrong but Marys is the biggest club by a country mile followed I would say by Coolera Strandhill and maybe St Johns. Harps have a big area but its sparsely populated lots of bog and forestry. No team dominates for ever and they prob will have a lean spell for a few years. Watch Coolaney Mullinabreena the next few years. Another club with a large land base. Look at the size of Ballisodare Colooney or even Ballymote and they have nothing to show for it. Kilkenny is proof that size dont matter. They win All Ireland hurlings and cant field a team for football. Its all about the effort you put in. Bunninaddan and Michaels are proof of that. They both do exceptionally well despite their size. Rather than be critical of harps so called big area copy what they do and apply the same principals as they have along with Curry and Tourlestrane. They are the 3 clubs that are the undisputed kings of football over the last 20 years. The less said about west Sligo the better

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 625 - 02/02/2013 21:15:29    1327370

Link

Your fairly getting your knickers in a twist..... Make 3 out of Harps. Must be a bigger area than I thought but then I dont live there. You are making a mockry of their underage yet they won 2 titles at U14 this year and are Feile champions after beating Marys who are the dominanent team at underage in Sligo. The rules of the U12 competition state that all players must get at least 2 Quarters at every game so your theory that kids dont get games is false. You also need to check your facts as Harps have 2 involved with co minor management not one as you incorrectly said. Not sure how telling them to go back and sort out their underage structure in the club has any relevance. You appear quiet vindictive and have a grievence against this club as you mention words like mafia and also has a cut at the Co sec cos he from that club. Anicer and more honourable man you wont find in GAA circles. An apology by you wouldnt be out of place and I certainly wont reply to your warped and barbed emails again.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 625 - 04/02/2013 15:51:49    1328395

Link

Eoinog - I just think Old Harps is not a real Eatern Harps fan and looking for someone to bite back. Let not get personal about county secetary as he has nothing to do with this. Fair enough E Harps won under 12 and under 14 this year and great to see somone competing with St Marys, sure if no club does compete with them, it does not look healthy for us as a county in the future. I know some good lads involved with the underage structure in the last few years with Harps and they finally as a club got the finger out and looked at their underage structures. In fairness to Eoinog what he says is a difficult point to believe that bar senior players Tony & Ross there has been no Harps players in an underage county team or development sqaud for the last number of years - this is true (unless i am forgetting some player). That will change in a couple of years with the current u14 team but we will be waiting 5-6 years before they progress to senior and this is not a certanity that they will be still playing.

If every club in Sligo worked as hard as St Marys at underage - i have no doubt we would be winning underage provincal titles, plus Sligo gaa development coaches are doing great work at schools with Coola, Summerhill and St Attract'as flying the flag.

Note: Lets not start a heated debate with clubs at each other throat as we alll have to work together on this.

sligodomain (Sligo) - Posts: 88 - 04/02/2013 17:25:32    1328483

Link

Have to agree with eoin og on this one. oldharps attacked the integrity of the club and the sec. you cant use words like mafia etc in talking about gaa clubs. marys are excellent at underage but their problem is they cant hold on to the young players. seems to me rural clubs have players that are more loyal to their clubs. look at johns great at underage for years at nothing to show for it at senior.
also to settle an arguement harps have players on both minor and u21 panels but both panels are dominated by players from summerhill and attractas schools as they are playing at a much higher level of competition than other schools in the county

townbuck (Leitrim) - Posts: 197 - 05/02/2013 11:17:51    1328847

Link

I wish to compliment Hogan Stand for removing that offensive post by oldharps. Obviously more people than me disliked the tone and content of it. Enough said

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 625 - 05/02/2013 19:02:17    1329241

Link

Harps won under 14 B last year. For a club their size they should be competing in the A division with perhaps a second team in B

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 258 - 05/02/2013 21:01:25    1329339

Link

Harps won the A2 championship along with the Feile. Yes they should enter a second team along with Marys Johns Coolera. Not sure why ye all are havin a dig at Harps. At moment they are weak from 15 years up to maybe 20. Does every club not hit a barren spell. Jealeously perhaps....

townbuck (Leitrim) - Posts: 197 - 06/02/2013 11:29:49    1329435

Link

Have to agree anto, should be in A at every age group and be reaching the final.
When I see them enter B competitions I have more respect for "parish clubs" that keep it going year in year out without any success.

allSOran (Sligo) - Posts: 690 - 06/02/2013 14:13:16    1329539

Link

While Harps have a very large area to pick from, their population is between 1400 and 1500. This is obviously big compared to some of the smaller 'parish' clubs but would also be dwarfed by many of the densely populated clubs in the county. I'm not a Harps supporter but I like to see things kept in perspective.

sligoforgood (Sligo) - Posts: 1 - 07/02/2013 12:44:34    1329988

Link

Think it is time ti move on the the FBD league final Sligo lost to Roscommon in the first league match last sunday. Should now pull out all stops and concentrate on beating Antrim in Markievicz Park on sunday. Another defeat here and promotion will be an uphill task.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2750 - 07/02/2013 12:58:09    1330002

Link

Wouldn't have minded getting a chance to have read those removed posts TBH

Hprmnsligo (Sligo) - Posts: 9 - 16/02/2013 21:35:43    1335035

Link

Sligodomain often heard people chat on sidelines of club and county games of how Ross wasn't on a minor or U21 county team and that how he now one of the most consistent players year in, may be wrong but I have heard at least 3 diff. People say this
Harps have pushed close from 6-3 years ago underage in U14 feile finals u16 finals minor A-league finals along with a few (A-shield/ b-championship) victories. Those lads were mostly just edged out by the very strong johns & curry teams of that period! If we could get 5-8 lads from these teams to push on we may get a good mixture of youth and experience in the next few years.
I had also heard we had 2 lads in with u21 setup about 2-3weeks ago, (unless that has changed or the squad has been cut)???

Hprmnsligo (Sligo) - Posts: 9 - 17/02/2013 14:46:12    1335182

Link