Sligo Forum

Kevin Walsh.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

http://www.hoganstand.com/Sligo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=176304

Reading the above article the situation is now a joke and the County Board executive should hang their heads in shame over the managerial stalemate. What the hell are they waiting for? We have County Senior and Intermediate Championships getting down to semi final stages, and we have NOBODY in a position of responsibility with the Sligo Senior team who have had a chance to look at all the games, or get a handle on new emerging players, or who is playing well and looking promising in these competitions, all because the Co Chairman and his Committee cannot get their finger out and make a decision one way or another. So will will be left with the same old reliable faces lining out in the black and white next season because they are the tried and tested and nobody knows any different. And we have patently seen this year that the current crop are just not up to the mark and could be vastly improved - or at least would certainly be no worse off - with the inclusion of a couple of new additions. Look at the example of Kerry. Jack O'Connor resigns, and straight away, Eamon Fitzmaurice is appointed. And why? Because the best place to spot new emerging talent is in the County Championships which are in full swing, not depending on last years crew and one or two minors or u21's from last years teams. The philosophy is all wrong in Sligo football. Unless you've played on Sligo development squads from U12 upwards, you can forget about ever playing Senior football for Sligo, by and large. No provision for the late bloomer or the twenty-something who develops later in his career. The decision should not be left up to Kevin Walsh to decide at his leisure. A meeting of the executive should have been called the week after the Kildare game and a decision made that he stays or goes, and inform him as such straight away so that he and his selectors or a newly appointed manager could set about scouting for talent in the championships. This limbo situation is a farce and can only be detrimental to the welfare of the Sligo team next year.

An_Leine_Dubh (Sligo) - Posts: 49 - 05/09/2012 15:01:59    1259914

Link

An_Leine_Dubh
County: Sligo

Well said, totally agree

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 297 - 06/09/2012 14:16:07    1260727

Link

Yet another week passes and no announcement on a manager or his back room team for next season. Dublin lost their manager a week ago and already have a man in place to take over. COUNTY BOARD what exactly do ye do in there for 52 weeks of the year, a shambles and a disgrace. How can you expect people to spend their hard earned money supporting the county team when ye can't do the most essential part of the job like APPOINT A MANAGER.

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 297 - 12/09/2012 13:52:34    1264818

Link

guys, get off the fence and put youselves forward for BOARD membership, management etc when the AGM comes around.

TimtheEnchanter (Sligo) - Posts: 309 - 13/09/2012 11:54:06    1265489

Link

Tim, I'm not sure if you actually understand the meaning of the phrase get off the fence, but from reading our posts I'd be interested to know at what point you see us sitting on any fences? Is this not a forum to express an opinion about Sligo GAA, including the Co Board where applicable? If you can show that the Co Board are doing a great job, then by all means set up a thread called "I am clearly oblivious to the shortcomings of our Co Board". Still I'm sure that another year of one off flash in the pan victories and where we fail yet again to win a single match at underage level will keep us all content and exhonorate our glorious administrators once again. I'll run for secretary Tim if you go for the Chair!

An_Leine_Dubh (Sligo) - Posts: 49 - 14/09/2012 10:30:54    1266014

Link

What fence are you talking about. This is because genuine Sligo supporters want to go and see their County team preform to a standard that is not laughable to the rest of the country, (ie 1 point from play in the 71st minute of a championship match to add to the other 3). This failure is not down to 1 mistake or 1 bad performance, it is about years of little mistakes in how we approach the setup. Why when you go back in the history books of Sligo football are we such an inconsistent team. If we have 1 good year the following 1 is a disaster. You can argue that we don't have the players but we have been in 3 of the last 6 Connacht finals. How can that make a supporter want to take up a position on the county board. Most supporters of Intercounty football would not have the faintest idea about politics in GAA. Supporters do not elect the committee and never will. Just because you pay your hard earned money to travel and cheer on team does not mean you have to play the sport but I think you are entitled to critisize the way things are handled.

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 297 - 14/09/2012 10:54:41    1266026

Link

thanks for confirming my point, like yourselves I'm a supporter etc and I'm not impressed with the board. however they are doing a job i have no interest in, a job that will get you no thanks, a job that will eat up your free time, a job that makes you get involved in the politics, again a position not many people what to be in etc etc. As regards elections these positions are elected by club delegates/officers which is another position most people are not interested in. If wanted to i could easily volunteer to be an officer and become involved in the process and affect decisions, like yourselves however I don't have the time or the interest in these matters. It's easier to sit on the fence/hands and point the finger at those who do the unwanted and thankless jobs.

TimtheEnchanter (Sligo) - Posts: 309 - 14/09/2012 12:36:31    1266121

Link

Tim i can see your point but can you answer me this, if you did try to take up the job and start at the bottom how long would it take you to get to the position where you would have a say at the top. It seems to me the executive are happy to elect a chairman who wont rock the boat and wont change the system they have in place, and if he is outspoken about how things are done he will never get the job. At the end of the day this is an argument that will last forever because it is opinion based. But the book has to stop somewhere, the selectors pick the panel of players, the manager picks the selectors, and the County Board picks the manager so who is to blame. The selectors are to blame if they are not picking the best players we have in the county. The manager is to blame if he is not making the right decisions on the line or if them players are not fit enough to play championship football but how can the selectors and manager be to blame if the players are not good enough in the county. They are spending thousands of euros every year on the senior panel but thats where it stops. The underage structure is a shambles and that is where it has to start to improve. That is why it is years of little mistakes that end up with a team that cannot win silverware.

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 297 - 14/09/2012 13:20:04    1266150

Link

Looks like he'll be staying for another year!

HotFuzz (Sligo) - Posts: 68 - 14/09/2012 15:15:59    1266257

Link

3rd week in October and its Looking Dodgey

judemannion (None) - Posts: 44 - 18/10/2012 14:56:12    1284999

Link

saw this on twitter
"Kevin Walsh has been ratified as Sligo Senior Team manager for 2013 at tonight's County Board meeting"

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 23/10/2012 21:28:59    1287357

Link

Backroom team of Paul Durkin, PJ Langton and Tommy Craddock. Can someone please tell me who Tommy Craddock is?
Both Paul and PJ were in the backroom team last year and to be honest i think they should have departed with Paul Taylor and Dessie Sloyane. New ideas no harm so lets just hope this new guy Tommy Craddock is a young Jimmy McGuinness or Rory Gallagher.

sligodomain (Sligo) - Posts: 88 - 24/10/2012 09:43:47    1287398

Link

There are at least 7 of the panel have also stepped aside, some of them would not be a major surprise

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 297 - 25/10/2012 13:07:00    1288091

Link

After reaching last year's Connaught final, hopes must be high for a promotion push this year.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2749 - 30/10/2012 14:55:57    1290133

Link

We beat New York and a bad Galway side Jack. Not too hopeful at al.

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 249 - 01/11/2012 09:57:43    1290945

Link