Sligo Forum

Sligo Club Fixtures 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To eoinog:  "Great to see the U.21 Championship taken seriously. For too long it was played in October when all players were back in college and had no interest in playing at that time of the year. There was loads of walkovers and games getting postponed due to senior/intermediate/junior championship. There's a big drop off in players after minor so it was great to have this competitive competition early in the year in the hope of getting these young player's out early and keeping them"
Still a few walkovers happening though.

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 32 - 14/04/2019 21:23:47    2178836

Link

U21 taken seriously? And teams getting home advantage in semi finals ..ure having a laugh. Add to that some players expected to play u21 Friday and club games Saturday. Sure it ll be grand..wink wink nudge nudge

tentonne (Sligo) - Posts: 56 - 15/04/2019 10:40:08    2178897

Link

Replying To tentonne:  "U21 taken seriously? And teams getting home advantage in semi finals ..ure having a laugh. Add to that some players expected to play u21 Friday and club games Saturday. Sure it ll be grand..wink wink nudge nudge"
I agree with eoinog that it the players maybe not getting a game at senior level right away on leaving minor might get one here. Are all league games not Sunday? Probably could have played senior Good Friday and U21 Easter Monday.
You're right that semi finals could have been played in Scarden.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 41 - 15/04/2019 12:32:15    2178920

Link

Replying To ChasingShadows:  "Still a few walkovers happening though."
What can you do about that? More walkovers at end of year

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 41 - 15/04/2019 12:32:58    2178921

Link

It may not be ideal but it's a lot better than playing in October. By them clubs are trying to get players out who may not have kicked a ball in a month. Then if you are drawn against the winner's of the senior/inter/junior you have to wait till they get knocked out of Connacht before they play their games. Fixtures need to be tweaked more but it's a start in the right direction. At the moment Tourlestrane are down to play Eastern Harps Friday,Sat and Sunday in the U.21, Div 3 and Div 1 games. This won't happen. In this present weather not too many clubs would be willing to host a neutral game and Scarden would freeze the b...s off you. Shamrock Gaels are probably favorite to win it outright though Easkey won the Minor A three years ago

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 612 - 15/04/2019 14:35:37    2178958

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "It may not be ideal but it's a lot better than playing in October. By them clubs are trying to get players out who may not have kicked a ball in a month. Then if you are drawn against the winner's of the senior/inter/junior you have to wait till they get knocked out of Connacht before they play their games. Fixtures need to be tweaked more but it's a start in the right direction. At the moment Tourlestrane are down to play Eastern Harps Friday,Sat and Sunday in the U.21, Div 3 and Div 1 games. This won't happen. In this present weather not too many clubs would be willing to host a neutral game and Scarden would freeze the b...s off you. Shamrock Gaels are probably favorite to win it outright though Easkey won the Minor A three years ago"
Are we just calling that team Easkey now?

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 41 - 16/04/2019 09:52:01    2179063

Link

Replying To westsligoawakes:  "Are we just calling that team Easkey now?"
I know there's an amalgamation back there but I don't know how many clubs are involved so I just left it as Easkey

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 612 - 17/04/2019 11:06:34    2179260

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I know there's an amalgamation back there but I don't know how many clubs are involved so I just left it as Easkey"
"Easkey/Other GAA"

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 41 - 17/04/2019 16:29:49    2179313

Link

Home advantage didn't mean much for Gaels in Coola as the combination of Easkey/Enniscrone Kilglass easily beat them. Harps won also, in what I am told was a great game of football. Interesting final in prospect

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 612 - 20/04/2019 08:13:44    2179636

Link

Easkey/Enniscrone u-21 result was a small shock given venue and fact Gaels were same side edged out in final last year.Supposedly a great game of 15 on 15, with Rory McHugh outstanding. Why is henot on county side? Harps made full use of home advantage & while E/E are favourites I think Harps are guaranteed to perform while EE probably think its won. Close game in store & shock on cards.
Gaels should have beaten Mary's Sunday (0-18 to 2-12) but are safe. They are a side could dominate next decade if they keep together & get heads (last part the bigger issue). They've now left a minor and 2 u21s after them in last year.
Castleconnor to go straight back down as Coolera result vs Coolaney/Mullinabreena shows how far off they are. A hammering away to Gels next weekend will kill all spirit there, Harps very close against a Tour side who are only getting going. Surprised how close Curry got to Grange but believe it was a shocking game. St Molaise can go three from three against an under cooked Coolera next weekend.
Tubber motoring along nicely under Colm McGee and they look the stand out to challenge Tour this year, though Coolera are not a team top be judged on league and seemingly have little done. tubber vs Coolaney/ Mull is the game of the weekend and one I hope to get to.
Div 2 is a minefield. Geevagh seem to be way ahead. Surprised Johns overturned Easkey but u21 game Friday and game Sat prob didn't help the sea blues. Heard two McHughs missing which is huge loss for Easkey. O Gaels only side with no points after 2 games but their score vs Calry suggests all is far from lost under new & shrewd management. Drumcliffe suffered after their cross country journey which was a shock but that's a whore of a spot to go to and think they'll have enough to get back up. Interesting game between them and Geevagh next weekend.
Three dropping out of this division is crazy given how competitive it is. Farnan's result over Bunninadden suggests Bunninadden are vulnerable. Huge game between them and Pats next weekend with a view to relegation. Pats big result away to Johns gives them breathing space but only a bit with 3 to drop.

tentonne (Sligo) - Posts: 56 - 22/04/2019 09:20:06    2179799

Link

Replying To tentonne:  "Easkey/Enniscrone u-21 result was a small shock given venue and fact Gaels were same side edged out in final last year.Supposedly a great game of 15 on 15, with Rory McHugh outstanding. Why is henot on county side? Harps made full use of home advantage & while E/E are favourites I think Harps are guaranteed to perform while EE probably think its won. Close game in store & shock on cards.
Gaels should have beaten Mary's Sunday (0-18 to 2-12) but are safe. They are a side could dominate next decade if they keep together & get heads (last part the bigger issue). They've now left a minor and 2 u21s after them in last year.
Castleconnor to go straight back down as Coolera result vs Coolaney/Mullinabreena shows how far off they are. A hammering away to Gels next weekend will kill all spirit there, Harps very close against a Tour side who are only getting going. Surprised how close Curry got to Grange but believe it was a shocking game. St Molaise can go three from three against an under cooked Coolera next weekend.
Tubber motoring along nicely under Colm McGee and they look the stand out to challenge Tour this year, though Coolera are not a team top be judged on league and seemingly have little done. tubber vs Coolaney/ Mull is the game of the weekend and one I hope to get to.
Div 2 is a minefield. Geevagh seem to be way ahead. Surprised Johns overturned Easkey but u21 game Friday and game Sat prob didn't help the sea blues. Heard two McHughs missing which is huge loss for Easkey. O Gaels only side with no points after 2 games but their score vs Calry suggests all is far from lost under new & shrewd management. Drumcliffe suffered after their cross country journey which was a shock but that's a whore of a spot to go to and think they'll have enough to get back up. Interesting game between them and Geevagh next weekend.
Three dropping out of this division is crazy given how competitive it is. Farnan's result over Bunninadden suggests Bunninadden are vulnerable. Huge game between them and Pats next weekend with a view to relegation. Pats big result away to Johns gives them breathing space but only a bit with 3 to drop."
Think you got it all covered there.

Harps need to get going or they will get dragged into the mix. I know they ran Tour close but any team that would go three from three without a win is looking a serious contender for the drop with two going down.
Marren supposedly hugely influential at the weekend in Grange, Though they along with Castleconnor would have to be seen as favorites for the drop. There'll be a big game or two coming down the line when they play Coolera and Harps.
Castleconnor were decent and spirited again by all accounts and fell off near the end of the game but it's hard to see where the points will come from. It looks like that game in Coolera was one they should have really taken, Shamrock Gaels away almost a must win at this stage.
Mullinabreena impressive result again. Giblin should get them very close to a league final. They have to be seen as one of the major players now with Tubber and Tour. Molaise might be the team that pushes those three. Missing a few yet.
Agree that Shamrock Gaels will get to that level in coming years. It'll be interesting to see just how far they can go this year. Some really good young players.

Div 2 as ever is a minefield. Surprised with Geevagh. obviously, some good early work put in down there. They are favorites for the final but the other spot is really up for grabs. I'd back Calry to maybe get going. Might not look that impressive a result away to Owenmore Gaels but they aren't the pushover they might have been the last few years. The still might find it hard to survive at this level with three going down.
I think Easkey, Johns, Calry, Drumcliffe and obviously Geevagh all have too much to get dragged into that dogfight but it could be any of the rest. Buninadden really need to get it going. Farnans plenty of talent too if they can get going.
One man who deserves great credit is Con O'Meara with his Enniscrone side pulling off a great result v DRP at the weekend. They surprised plenty last year. Maybe they can do it again. Pats seems to be in a spot of trouble...

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 41 - 23/04/2019 11:39:53    2179892

Link

Was at the Drumcliff v Geevagh game. Good win for DRP well deserved worked very well for each other and hunted in packs. Could have been bigger margin only for point blank save from Geevagh Keeper and another one on one which went over for a point. Geevagh very poor work rate and movement ,passing was very off must have hit the ball over the side line possibly 10 times from misjudged/lazy passes. The Cawley lad at midfield did well for Geevagh and Pat Hughes when he came on but otherwise poor effort. DRP were lead by Ewing who controlled the game and set up many attacks. Overall not a good game from two of the fancied team in Div 2.

1980 (Sligo) - Posts: 12 - 29/04/2019 08:37:16    2180746

Link

I would assume that the amalgamation from the West will win the U.21 this evening. Lot of good individual players, only concern is that they don't play regular football with each other.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 612 - 03/05/2019 16:55:21    2181711

Link

Couple of surpising results over the weekend, of course the lack of county players was always going to have an impact. In Division 1, Tour are the pace setters once again, another great win for the shamrock gaels and they'll be delighted with their start, tubber look to be building strongly another mcgee. Marys are doing enough, Castleconnor and Curry seem destined for the drop? Is it one or two that go down? Division 2 continues to be a minefield, massive wins for Easky and Farnans at the weekend. A huge and badly needed win for the gaels although it will take a monumental effort for them to stay up, with 3 going down, there is arguably 5 teams in relegation danger.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 182 - 06/05/2019 17:30:59    2182162

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "Couple of surpising results over the weekend, of course the lack of county players was always going to have an impact. In Division 1, Tour are the pace setters once again, another great win for the shamrock gaels and they'll be delighted with their start, tubber look to be building strongly another mcgee. Marys are doing enough, Castleconnor and Curry seem destined for the drop? Is it one or two that go down? Division 2 continues to be a minefield, massive wins for Easky and Farnans at the weekend. A huge and badly needed win for the gaels although it will take a monumental effort for them to stay up, with 3 going down, there is arguably 5 teams in relegation danger."
Castleconnor are probably gone now and I think Harps will find more points than Curry along the way. Coolera got the early wins that they needed, luckily for them.
Molaise Gaels stuttering a bit at the moment and Mullinabreena taking a big hit too

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 41 - 08/05/2019 12:51:29    2182461

Link