IFC: All square in Meath Hill

April 21, 2019

Syddan's Graham Garland with Paddy Clarke St. Michaels during the Meath IFC game in Meath Hill


St. Michaels 2-16, Syddan 2-16              

One could sense a sigh of relief from both camps at the final whistle when this second round Intermediate Group B clash ended all square in the excellent facilities of Meath Hill on Saturday evening last, but if the truth be known, both sides will be ruing the fact that they had ample opportunities to collect both points especially Syddan who held a 9 point lead two minutes into the second period.

It was a goal 40 seconds into the game scored by the industrious Oran Meehan when he capitalized with a fisted finish from Shane McDonnell's lofted delivery that opened the games scoring. However St. Michaels failed to build on that lead while Syddan were non perturbed by the score and by the tenth minute had posted four unanswered points to take the lead which they retained up to the 58th minute.  

The first of Syddan's brace of goals which both resulted from defensive errors in the St. Michaels goalmouth came on 25 minutes and the second quickly followed three minutes later for a 2-10 to 1-7 lead. Shane McCormack, Christopher Drew and Ciaran Lynch added early points for St. Michaels. Lynch was first to react when a Paddy Clarke effort came back off the upright on 24 minutes, McCormack and Ray Reilly posted two further points before the short whistle, however it was the men in green and gold who held a commanding 2-11 to 1-7 interval lead.

The Syddan men won the throw-in and moved up-field to split the posts for their 12th minor, they added another point two minutes later for a 9 point advantage. Shane McCormack converted two St. Michaels frees to keep his side in touch but Syddan also converted a free to leave 8 points still separating the sides. The excellent Paddy Clarke found Davy Lynch in space and he fired over a mighty effort from 40m out for a 7 point game. Then came the games turning point, Syddan lost their no 12, Patrick Farrelly to a red card and the wheels fell off their wagon, Ciaran Lynch then lofted a high effort between the posts before that man Oran Meehan blasted to the corner of the net for the second time to reduce Syddan's advantage to just 3 points.

The introduction of Paddy Tobin and the outstanding work rate of Davy Lynch, Paddy Clarke and Lee Morris paid dividends for the St. Michaels lads as another Davy Lynch effort from play and two frees from McCormack levelled the match on 52 minutes. St. Michaels were now in full control with Clarke, Morris, Meehan and Davy Lynch causing havoc for the Syddan defence however their tendency to over elaborate in their build up play wasn't always their best policy as they sent a series of scoreable efforts wide of the posts and got turned over on several occasions however Syddan failed to capitalize on their mistakes as they went 29 minutes of the second half without raising a flag.

Shane McDonnell combined with Ciaran Lynch for his 4th point before he sent over his and his sides final score of the match to go two in front with 2 minutes of normal time remaining. Syddan dug deep and a point from a free in the first minute of injury time gave them a slim lifeline and with the final kick of the ball in the 3rd minute of added time they drew level much to the relief of their management and supporters. St. Michaels management and supporters would have taken a draw at half time, but deep down they'll know they should have left Meath Hill with both points.

St. Michaels team and scorers: Darren O'Connell; Ciaran O'Reilly, Sam Briody, Daithí O'Reilly; Paddy Clarke, Christopher Drew (0-1) Ben Reilly; David Lynch (0-2),  Matthew Halpin; Oran Meehan (2-1), Lee Morris, Ray Reilly (0-1); Shane McCormack (0-6, 5f), Shane McDonnell, Ciaran Lynch (0-5 1f). Subs: Harry Dunne for C. O'Reilly, Paddy Tobin for D. O'Reilly, C. Sheridan for R. Reilly, C. O'Reilly for Lee Morris (BC).                                                                                                                                          

Referee: Bernard Heaney    

Report and photo Pascal Reilly PRO.  

Syddan Report


AFTER LEADING by nine points in the early stages of the second half Syddan were forced to come from behind to salvage a draw in this high scoring IFC tie at Meath Hill on Saturday evening.

Substitute Brian Dillon kicked the equalising point from a free in the third added minute for Syddan who were down to 14 from the 39th minute following the dismissal of Paddy Farrelly.

The sending off proved a game changer as Syddan went 28 minutes without a score.

Syddan recovered from the concession of a goal in the opening minute, scored by Oran Meehan, to dominate the remainder of the half and deservedly lead 2-11 to 1-7 at the break.

Their opening goal arrived from full forward Gary Farrelly on 12 minutes and it left them leading 1-4 to 1-0. Padraig Dillon accounted for the second goal on 27 minutes to give Syddan a comfortable lead at the break.

Points from Kevin Traynor and Ryan Summersby stretched the lead within two minutes of the restart. Syddan were ahead by seven when Farrelly was shown a straight red card.

Ciaran Lynch kick-started the St Michael’s revival with a point and then Meehan struck for his side’s second goal.

Points from Davy Lynch and Shane McCormack (two) had the sides’ level by the 52nd minute. St Michael’s were in the ascendancy at that stage and they went ahead for the first time since the opening minutes when Ciaran Lynch pointed. The same player doubled the Carlanstown side’s advantage by the 58th minute to strengthen their grip on proceedings.

The clock had ticked over the hour mark when Michael Fedigan converted a free for Syddan. Then in the final action substitute Dillon lofted over a free from long range to level.

SYDDAN: Peter Sheehy; Mark Fedigan, Ronan Mooney, Kevin Garland; Ryan Summersby 0-1, Andrew Garland, Jack Reid; Sean Clare, Kevin Traynor 0-2; Michael Fedigan 0-5 (3f), Graham Garland 0-1, Paddy Farrelly 0-1; Cormac Rowe 0-1, Gary Farrelly 1-3 (2f), Padraic Dillon 1-1. Subs: Cormac Rafferty for G Farrelly, Stephen Tallon for K Garland, Brian Dillon 0-1f for A Garland.

ST MICHAEL’S: Darren O’Connell; Ciaran O’Reilly, Sam Briody, Daithi O’Reilly; Paddy Clarke, Christopher Drew 0-1, Ben Reilly; David Lynch 0-2, Matthew Halpin; Oran Meehan 2-1, Lee Morris, Ray Reilly 0-1; Shane McCormack 0-6 (5f), Shane McDonnell, Ciaran Lynch 0-5 (1f). Subs: Harry Dunne for C O’Reilly, Paddy Tobin for D O’Reilly, C Sheridan for R Reilly, C O’Reilly for Morris.

REF: Bernard Heaney    

Most Read Stories