Mayo Forum

Mayo Vs Meath

(Oldest Posts First)

Knockout match for us both. You lot are clearly the better team but seem to be struggling at the minute. There should only be a few points in it either way. See you in Croker!

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2920 - 14/07/2019 20:58:55    2210994

Link

Great to see Mayo's colourful wonderful fans in Killarney irrespective of result I hope that they enjoyed it . Kerry's youth and skill on the day too much for battle weary Mayo You are still there next weekend could change everything. Congrats to Cillian O Connor has everything but an All Ireland medal

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 15/07/2019 01:54:19    2211119

Link

Not surprised that we were beaten but the manner of it was what grates. We have seen good teams over the years and no way did they do what Mayo did yesterday. Kilkenny are as good an example as one can get. Over the past 2/3 years they've lost some fantastic players, people who you might say cannot be replaced and yet they've come up with the good and are nearly there again. Yesterday we saw a Mayo backline standing yards off their opponents, giving them every chance to get possession, we saw utterly stupid and needless fowls, we saw AO Shea obviously carrying an injury, Keegan unfit but playing, Vaughan unfit and a general lack of urgency in the team and also one of the biggest worries a lack of know-how on the pitch when things went very wrong. I'm not blaming Horan but the players themselves have to take responsibility for their actions, or in yesterday's case, their inaction. No hunger, no speed, no movement off the ball, skillset totally lacking and that's not in any way a great Kerry team, believe me. Yes, they deserved their win, but who wouldn't have beaten us yesterday? Maybe it was a one off, maybe, but we're going to find out fairly quickly now in any case. No, a win against Meath won't prove anything, but if we win by 10/15 points it will say something. Otherwise we're kidding ourselves.

davittsman (Mayo) - Posts: 323 - 15/07/2019 12:17:46    2211289

Link

Mayo hype job fails to live up to the billing again in Kerry, Would fancy Meath to get a result too @ 9/4.

JoeJoeLarkin (Galway) - Posts: 17 - 15/07/2019 13:01:13    2211321

Link

Mayo very flat...yard off our men...nobody gave Clarke options at time forcing him long and Kerry cleaned us out a midfield. Not sure why Horan opted to take off Coen with three points to his name. We looked tired yesterday. Kerry we're well fired up and good luck to them.

Not only have we to beat Meath but hope that Kerry beat Donegal as our points difference is a disaster now.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9918 - 15/07/2019 13:29:49    2211341

Link

Best of luck to Mayo vs Meath, I hope ye bounce back and do Connacht proud. Meath are obviously not to be underestimated but are well beatable, and then I think ye have every chance of beating Donegal. You're still on the road boys, enjoy it, and good luck.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 148 - 15/07/2019 22:57:53    2211672

Link

Mayo will have to bring their A Game to Croke Park if they are going to win next Sunday. Last Sunday Meath were leading Donegal in Ballybofey by a point on the 54th minute and having a goal disallowed a few minutes earlier, they are an improving team and they are familiar with playing in Croke Park. Meath won promotion this year to division one, lost by a point to Tyrone in qualifier last year and ran a much fancied Donegal team close in their home patch close before tiring. They also kept Dublin honest for a large part of the Leinster final where inexperience cost them.
The fact is our midfield has been destroyed due to injuries and some key players are underperforming - unfortunately that's a recipe for losing to an underrated Meath team.
The truth is we're very vulnerable and I'm deeply worried that an emerging Meath team will scrape past us on Sunday.
We have not beaten Meath in the championship since 1951.

Maritime (Mayo) - Posts: 8 - 17/07/2019 09:19:33    2212207

Link

Very dangerous game. As said above we need to bring our A game. The wide open spaces of Croke Park will tell us how much fatigue and injuries have caught up with us. Win and it's back on the horse in a huge game at home v Donegal, loose and it's a dead rubber. The stakes couldn't be higher.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9918 - 17/07/2019 12:30:13    2212313

Link

This will be a good game of football, Mayo are deserving favorites. However Meath are a emerging side. I suppose all the pressure is on Mayo, Meath have achieved all the goals set out at beginning of year, and are in bonus territory. However there is a feeling that Meath can win this and set up a winner takes all In navan. So it's all to play for. See you all on Sunday
Hon the royal.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 16185 - 18/07/2019 20:05:16    2212903

Link

Mayo underestimated Kildare last year and Roscommon this year and paid a high price on both occasions. If Mayo are complacent against Meath we will have a meaningless game in Castlebar on Saturday week.

Maritime (Mayo) - Posts: 8 - 18/07/2019 23:31:13    2212999

Link

I expect Mayo to win this one but I also feel Donegal will beat Kerry which means the last game in Castlebar will be a dead rubber, Mayo would have to beat Donegal by 15 pts or more to overtake either Donegal or Kerry, can't see that happening

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 19/07/2019 16:24:16    2213226

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "I expect Mayo to win this one but I also feel Donegal will beat Kerry which means the last game in Castlebar will be a dead rubber, Mayo would have to beat Donegal by 15 pts or more to overtake either Donegal or Kerry, can't see that happening"
Riverboys, below are the published rules on how placings will be decided:

The usual (league) rules will apply if teams finish level on points during the group stages, whereby the head to head result will determine who advances. If the game in question was a draw then scoring difference will be used, as is also the case if more than two teams are level on points.

If we beat Meath and Kerry beat Donegal, it'll be game on, otherwise, if Donegal win against Kerry, we beat both Meath and Donegal, and Kerry beat Meath in their last game (having lost to Donegal), it'll come down to scoring difference alright, with Kerry, Donegal and ourselves all on 4 points and each having one win against the other tied opponents. Then our Killarney outing will come home to roost. If Kerry beat Donegal our destiny will be back in our own hands, provided the lads beat Meath in the first game. Same for Meath in reverse, if they beat us, they'll be better off if Donegal beat Kerry. A draw between Donegal and Kerry would also be helpful to whoever wins between Meath and ourselves, unless we draw... it'd do your head in tbh!

We dug ourselves a big hole in Killarney last Sunday. Reminds me of our league position going into the final round of games... we made the final as a bit of a gift, with all the other results falling our way.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1993 - 20/07/2019 14:20:02    2213525

Link

I hope the Mayo Medical Team can get our injured players fit and ready to play on the Saturday 3rd August, nothing should be spared financially to get our injured players fit to play. Every Mayo Supporter should get a ticket now, before they are sold out, our team needs and deserves a really big Mayo support in Mac Hale Park for the Donegal game.

Maritime (Mayo) - Posts: 8 - 22/07/2019 18:17:21    2214876

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "This will be a good game of football, Mayo are deserving favorites. However Meath are a emerging side. I suppose all the pressure is on Mayo, Meath have achieved all the goals set out at beginning of year, and are in bonus territory. However there is a feeling that Meath can win this and set up a winner takes all In navan. So it's all to play for. See you all on Sunday
Hon the royal."
where did u get the idea winner take all in Navan
IF u thought Meath were going to beat Mayo u were
in dreamland and u were so confident Donegal
were going to beat Kerry because they beat Meath by
nine points Kerry had no chance

wfkerry (USA) - Posts: 928 - 23/07/2019 12:42:15    2215217

Link