Leitrim Forum

FBD League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Armagh only made two all Ireland's: 2002 & 2003, Joe Kernan won the All Ireland in his first season as manager so no more of your nonsense 94. He won it on the backbone of the very successful All Ireland champions Crossmaglen throwing in McDonell, Clarke, McGrane, McGeeney the McNulty's and O Rourke. Now in Leitrim we have a bad club championship at all levels as results in club championships in Connacht bear out and no successful teams in underage representing the county since 1998. SO what basis can you lose the run of yourself with nonsensical delusions of grandeur. We have neighbouring counties with fans of delusional notions so let none of us sane Leitrim men go down that road because it is ahard one to come back from. We love our county and we appreciate the efforts of all that wear the green and gold and their mentors. This outfit has something about them that could turn into something special but it is a long road ahead and pressurising the lads into immediate results is unfair and unrealisitic. Laithroim Abu

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 30/01/2014 13:39:32    1538749

Link

Theres as much chance of promotion as 94allstar and Jimmy McNulty going for joint managers next year.

Ludovic_Giuly (Leitrim) - Posts: 106 - 30/01/2014 14:24:54    1538779

Link

I propose all National League / County Team related discussion move to a new thread. FBD is finished.

On a separate point, nice to see some romance blossoming in the pages of a GAA Forum. While not confirmed by ball girl, looks like 94 was shot down faster than a pheasant in November.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 314 - 30/01/2014 15:10:53    1538809

Link

@bananapublican Armagh and crossmaglen came good in 97

Armagh had players like diarmaid Marsden whowwon senior county championships with clan nageal in the mid 90's I think it was 94/5

He was only a minor at that stage in his long legacy career

McConville bellew 2 mcnulties 2 orourkes toal mcgeeney McDonnell Ronan Clarke all a great addition from 97 onwards

Armagh peaked between 2000 and 2005 winning allireland glory in 02 and loosing to Tyrone in 03 for 3 reasons

1.diarmaid Marsden was wrongly sent off and in appeal his red card was withdrawn

2. Tyrone were cuter on the day

3. Hunger, Tyrone was the hungrier team on the day

Now my point was that if a county like Armagh could come good on the back of the conditions they had to deal with IE a war n the north , then there is no reason why we cannot use Armagh Tyrone down and Derry as a template to build a strong leitrim outfit

@dodgy_pass no harm in having one in everytown it's good for the core fitness

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 30/01/2014 15:50:29    1538840

Link

I left out the 2 mcentees off the great Armagh team

I apologize

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 30/01/2014 17:23:39    1538898

Link

Yes 94 my point has been only validated by your last post, the success came on the back of something solid within the county being built up over time while you seem to imply that instant success can be got by dreaming. Marsden I forgot to mention but all the others are Crossmaglen which is what I said in my post originally. Don't put big expectations on a relatively inexperienced panel and new management team as all it serves to do is put them on a pedestal just to later kick it from under them. Leave them alone and let them steadily improve. May 18th might just be too soon but here's hoping!

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 30/01/2014 17:39:39    1538912

Link

Maybe I was a bit vague with my post what I ment by the taking a leaf out of Armagh Tyrone Derry down books was to build a strong leitrim side over time

Which starts at u6 club level and works its way up to feeding county development teams u14 -15 -16 minor u21 thus creating a strong senior team

The foundation is there with pat mcweeney Adrian Cullen pat Donohue Shane heslin all great contributors

Christy Carroll involved at senior level

It's a work in progress and within the next 10 year's id expect something great to come of it

Maybe a reformation of the minor u21 championship to a similar style as the senior would benefit the hard work these men are putting in

Surely if Tipperary are able to put out such strong minor football teams and them a hurling stronghold then we can follow suit

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 30/01/2014 18:21:55    1538938

Link

28/01/2014 10:12:34
94allstar
County: Leitrim

I've been keeping an eye on the rossies over the last few years and apart from holding Tyrone to 2 points last summer in the Hyde after Tyrone missed several goal chances.

Need to get that eye tested then as Tyrone created one goal chance against us we created a few goal chances and kicked double the amount of wides.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2515 - 30/01/2014 18:45:08    1538946

Link

@the analyser thats why ye lost the game

Tyrone kept pushing ye out to awkward positions maken ye shoot under pressure

Thus the amount of wides

You see a game like that where a division 1 league finalist and allireland semi finalist is playing a lower end division 3 team that would struggle in division 4 is only another wrung on the ladder to the likes of Tyrone

The have the game won before they play it with experience cuteness power accuracy support on and off the field

So no more than monaghan in the quarters a 2 point win in each game was all they needed

Had they not been so unfortunate in the semi loosing Stephen O'Neill and having such a one-sided referee they would have drawn with mayo or cuteness would have crossed the line for them by a point or 2

And they would have beaten Dublin in the final

Tyrone are the one team that Dublin fear on a good or bad day

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 31/01/2014 09:30:27    1539085

Link

Wrong again 94allstar. Half of our shot were very scorable but fell to the wrong players who aren't the best shooters at the best of times and we had no reliable free taker that day either plus Pascal McConnell pulled off unbelievable save from Cathal Cregg. I'll be keeping a close eye on how Leitrim fare in the NFL this year as according to you they should have no problem getting promoted. For the record the last time we were in div 4 we won 7 and drew 1.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2515 - 31/01/2014 15:54:26    1539316

Link