Leitrim Forum

The Year Ahead

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

FYI UNiGaa wanted names of d lads who wer playin college ball.Never tlked bout co.at all. Anyway its a bit rich sayin dat especially wen u go through current co. panellists + see hw many lads didnt make cut in der own day! wont go into names but if u want to go dwn dis road..

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 197 - 14/01/2014 17:38:07    1531827

Link

Playing college ball is part of these lads development and if they are playing against and with better quality players it should improve them a lot more than some club games at home would help them, too many being written off here already, we have a small panel and this part of a players development can only benefit the county team

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 14/01/2014 18:24:33    1531864

Link

Id expect a panel to only be near completion the morning of the first championship game

Mickey harte brought Stephen o Neill back into Tyrone after he retired in 2007 for one game in 2008

An All Ireland final number 31

And what an ace card to pull

At training last Thursday evening I was listening to my team mates telling me who we would beat in the league and make our way to the final

The same lads that were telling me last year about who we would face in a senior county semi final in the championship the day after the draw was made

Without even contemplating a group game /playoff/quarter final

Take it a day at a time lads no man woman or child knows what's in-store

Injuries flu sickness could all play havoc on anygiven day

Your best forward could go out and (god forbid) tear ligaments and miss 6 months

Lets focus on this Sundays game Sligo want us bad

We beat them last year and laughed in their faces when London bet them only to end up with slurry on our own faces in the weeks that followed

A game at a time find your comfort zone on the field build a team

It's a yearly thing to build a new team

Teams get old they don't last forever certainly not in GAA games

I do agree that sigerson fbd etc is a good way of development of players as is u21

Not jumping the gun myself but I wouldnt over look London again this year with the way work currently is here

I do believe having played the game back 100 or more times their goals should have been allowed in the connacht final v mayo

London should have put 4 goals on the board which getting back to leitrim should warn us that London can create goal chances against mayo something Donegal couldn't as reining allireland champions

4 hard league games ahead when the fbd is over but until then focus on Sligo

Anybody any idea on sligos set up the year? I had close friends on the team Upto last year but since retired

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 14/01/2014 21:45:52    1531978

Link

It has been a long time since we have had this many players playing Sigerson football, this can only be good for our Under 21s and seniors for the year. I don't buy into that statement that only a few of these players are up to county standard, most of these players will play county football in the next three years, they obviously care about progression if they are putting themselves out there and mixing it with the big boys. Great to see Donal Wyrnn making the DCU team, it looks as if he has played the full game in the last two matches too.

Nelson (Leitrim) - Posts: 141 - 15/01/2014 10:10:55    1532022

Link

well said nelson, its about a pipeline as well as the current crop, i dont think we have had this many playing since the late 80s or early 90s when the likes of Paul Kieran was at UCD.

These lads are far from the finished article but playing in the latter stages of the Sigerson in my book is second only to senior inter county level and championship not league

These lads who wont be involved arent far away and this experience will help them develop and they have something to focus on post sigerson

i'll throw this one out there who currently abroad if fit would make the starting team if they were at home?

I think there might be one or two in Australia that wouldnt be far off

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 15/01/2014 12:20:03    1532091

Link

wheres ronan Gallagher?

mac21 (Leitrim) - Posts: 676 - 15/01/2014 12:37:05    1532106

Link

I have to say that I am impressed and taken back by the volume of Leitrim players playing with their respective colleges. That is a surprise to me as I would have been watching our past few minor and U21 teams over the last few years and with a few exceptions was not impressed with the overall quality coming through. Have these players thrived in a better environment or were they always good but with such early exits from championships we didn't get to see their true value. I am delighted to see them all doing well. Not surprised by Wrynn, a complete footballer , one with huge potential and the ability to go far in the game. Also so versatile he is a manager's dream.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 862 - 15/01/2014 13:43:01    1532143

Link

I couldn't agree more! It's brilliant to see the greater Leitrim representation. They must be doing something right as IMO there's been an increased competiveness within the college scene in recent years which is making the task ever more difficult for our players. You only have to look at the players playing for each university to see the developing importance and standard college football is taking on. Colleges are becoming more reminiscent of US football colleges and the way they operate. Just recently UUJ have prized Jamie Clarke(27) back to do another add on course just to get him on their team in their quest for Sigerson glory! Go through each college team and you'll see marquee intercounty players throughout. So for such a high number of Leitrim lads to be involved with college teams at all is an achievement in itself. Certainly the current crop seem to have a more confident attitude than the past days of having 1 or 2 leitrim lads try out with more footballers proud to be from Leitrim confident of being judged on their ability over background.

In my eyes anyway its great for budding youngsters to see their fellow county men like Moran and Wrynn competing with the best than not at all. So to put down college lads endeavours as of no use to themselves down the line is questionable and without thought.This norm of having our lads playing in the top college competitions against/alongside the top players in the country can only be positive and should be encouraged. When youngsters see more of their own playing, naturally the action of playing college football will be viewed more as the norm than out of reach thus hopefully lead to increased numbers trying out backed by this greater belief. Most insiders view a definite growing importance and standard in sigerson competition which can provide a beneficial buffer for many lads in between U21 and senior inter county. So like the lads said why not see it as another step in the footballing development of future county potentials. If lads get to train with better quality players and are amidst a more professional environment naturally it will be worthwhile and be of benefit to our players growth. It's obvious other counties benefit greatly from their minor /U21 players playing in the fresher/sigerson competitions. No reason why our aims shouldn't be the same. Sure the oul Rossies think DCU is their second home now such is the numbers of their young player's involvement the last few years and look how their underage teams are progressing. If ever a reason to push and promote college involvement more!

I read an interview a while back with Bernard Brogan saying how valuable sigerson had been for him in his development as a footballer.His progression from underage minor star to senior player was stalling having been dropped from U21's due to injury setbacks. Unable to get a look in on any county team he stated his college involvement with the DCU team had been a lifesaver. I think it was 2005/6? He played well for them on their way to nearly winning the competition that year and being one of the top scorers. He was duly drafted into pillar caffreys senior panel the following year. That university team allowed him to get a bit of confidence up with him stating the experience gained that year had proven a defining factor in his progression as an intercounty footballer.Now I'm not saying lads will turn into top marksmen to Brogans level during college not on playing field anyway! But it can definitely be of benefit to the "in between" players who you see falling off after county minor and under 21's and may retain a few that could prove good enough for county level in the future. These current young lads that have been highlighted are taking it upon themselves to better themselves as footballers which is admirable and should be welcomed.

Anyway time for lunch

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 15/01/2014 14:13:43    1532175

Link

@unigaa the first obvious 2 abroad would be john fee and Barry butler

Mark Beirne in uk would be another

I know a good few more in OZ that made the panel but never stepped up to the team

It's a great day for the county when Ronan Kennedy scores 2 points for Nuim

Or Shane Moran plays against roscommon for a college team

The last time there was as much interest in the senior squad with lads wanting a place on it was after the success of the late 80s minor team after they won the B allireland just before o'mahony came on board and the following year we won connacht beating all the big teams

So it's not about a handy draw either like we thought last summer

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 15/01/2014 14:39:57    1532201

Link

Heard 21 s were unluckly sgainst a strong Meath team.
Leitrim has played circa 30 players in two games having only come together a few weeks ago.
There is a huge interest in playing for the county

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 15/01/2014 15:06:28    1532215

Link

It's a known fact joeman123 that our disallowed goal v Meath was a referee error

It would have tallied a scoreline of 1.12 Meath - 1.13 Leitrim

No more than London's goals against mayo in the connacht final

I think if the GAA invested in cameras around the goals where county games atleast are being played it would alleviate alot of referee/umpire error

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 15/01/2014 16:25:24    1532272

Link

Dr McKenna cup Antrim 1.12 - 1.10 Down

Take what you will from it

As I've been saying all along the Antrim league game is the pillar game for us in the league

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 16/01/2014 11:26:17    1532505

Link

Correction Down 0.10

No goal

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 16/01/2014 12:00:30    1532518

Link

antrim are looking decent at the minute while we havent been near a full 15 as yet, it is the pivotal match of the league campaign, they wont like carrick one bit and we have to use that to our advantage, lets get over this sunday and get that extra game that should help Hagan get closer to his starting 15 for the antrim game

how do people think the sheep stealers will do against co fine gael

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 16/01/2014 12:06:45    1532523

Link

Sheepstealers are hot and cold thed remind you of a town team

They come out every year telling anyone that will listen that they are so great and they are going to win win win this that and the other and all I've seen of them in the last decade was a connacht final that Sligo let slip in the second half

Apart from that it's been 1 connacht and 1 qualifier for roscommon after poor league campaigns

As I said Sligo are awaiting to rub slurry in our faces after last years fbd and the championship

Every man in green and gold needs to be awake this weekend. Possession. Around midfield is the main item I would focus on

Hold it there to an advantage and any of the 10 plus forwards we have on the field or bench should do the job as the majority of them are strong finishers

I think if Paul Brennan and Wayne McKeon were on either wing or even side by side on the half back line it's a solid combination

Just my tuppence im sure Sean and co have their own in-house strategy

LIATROIM Abu

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 16/01/2014 14:36:57    1532595

Link

right best of luck to the lads on sunday in ceannaboe, give us a day out the week after please as it would set us up nicely for the nordies coming to town, home for that game but would like a trip sunday week too

UP LIATRIOM

chompbar (UK) - Posts: 9 - 17/01/2014 15:02:12    1533064

Link

Well done to leitrim!! in the fbd final again!! the extra game will be helpful to hagan ahead of the league. how did the team perform today can anyone tell me? Tomas Beirne in full forward was an interesting decision? How did he get on in there?

LeitrimMad1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 43 - 19/01/2014 16:12:32    1533746

Link

Some good points there jimmy

Mossy finished McKeons kick to land the goal

The back line is the only doubt

Well done to sean and team another final next week

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 19/01/2014 16:56:20    1533779

Link