Leitrim Forum

Championship Draws

(Oldest Posts First)

Whats everone take on the draws for the Championship this year?

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 19/03/2013 21:39:25    1352381

Link

In senior I'd expect Mary's and Aughawillan to go through from group 1, Manor and Annaduff from group 2, Melvin Gaels and Mohill from group 3

Intermediate Ballinamore and Eslin in group 1, Dromahair and Glenfarne in group 2, Drumkeeran and Aughnasheelin in group 3

Junior is too hard to predict yet!

LeitrimGAA44 (Leitrim) - Posts: 7 - 20/03/2013 12:37:40    1352614

Link

I'd like to see them try organise quarter finals with only six teams

Memyselfirene (Leitrim) - Posts: 38 - 21/03/2013 11:48:37    1353288

Link

At a glimpse it looks like a mohill v manor senior county final

That's to the passer bye

However I would throw Mary's and gortletteraghs hats into the ring also and that would be the 4 teams in the semis

Unless Allen Gaels face annaduff in a quarter they will probably go no further this year either team

Dark horses is the willies

The rest to battle the relegation end of the championship the usual suspects and I'm being bold and including melvin geals in a relegation semi!

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 21/03/2013 19:12:15    1353726

Link

I think Manor will walk away with the Championship this year without any hassle! Intermediate I think Ballinamore should win it however Dromahair if the could perform to there best in the Semi-final/Final could also do it. Junior is to hard to call as it all depends on what numbers alot of these clubs down there have.

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 24/03/2013 13:48:26    1355074

Link

Senior Championship is very open this year. Group 1 looks to have the most teams of similar ability in it.

Group 1 = St. Marys, Aughawillan 3rd = Gortletteragh

Group 2 = Glencar/Manor, Annaduff 3rd = Allen Gaels

Group 3 = Mohill, Melvin Gaels, 3rd = Carrigallen.

Best placed 3rd = Gortletteragh
Playoff winners = Allen Gaels.

Intermediate is interesting too. Ballinamore mightnt find it as easy as everyone thinks. Eslin in their group coud give them a closer game than they would like and if by some 'miracle' (cough, Co. Board.) Dromahaire and B'more are kept apart until the final (presuming they get there) could be a cracker.

Junior A is hard to call but going on last year, youd expect Gortletteragh ato be there abouts and Ballinamore too if they don't co opt a heap of lads in an attempt to come straight back up. Mohill will surely have a raft of young lads coming through be interesting to see can they carry a Junior team.

Good Championship in store in any case

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 316 - 25/03/2013 12:31:28    1355797

Link

in senior it looks like it will be manors to lose, especially with mulligans departure, the only teams with a chance of competing will be carrick, mohill and annaduf/melvin gaels. However i still think manor will have far more hunger than the rest and should win it.

In intermediate I would put my money on dromahair, i think they are better equiped than ballinamore who are un familar to this. I think aughnasheelin wont be too far away aswell.

In junior i think its mohills, with gortlettragh, annaduff and dromahair not far off.

pinkyman (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 25/03/2013 14:18:32    1355928

Link

Its hard to see past Manor this year. Melvin Gaels seem to be missing half their panel and will do well to make any sort of impact, Mary's have been poor so far in the league and seem to be missing a few to emigration. I've seen people tipping Aughawillan, in my opinion they fluked it last year and were shown up against Melvin Gaels, were they got the sort of hammering I never thought would be possible in a championship game, nevermind a semi final. Mohill as always have the potential but how they perform is anyones guess. I think Bornacoola, Drumreilly and Kiltubrid will finish last in their respective groups. Gortlettragh looked strong last year and I have a feeling they could top their group with Marys and Aughawillan looking very similar , so who takes 2nd will be a tight one. Group two sees Allen Gaels and Annaduff battle it out for 2nd place, It could be tighter than many think, I do think Annaduff are ageing and Allen Gaels are maturing. It all depends on how much Allen Gaels can develop between now and the Championship but Alan Wynne looks like he has developed into one of the counties best players in the last two years and if he continues his forward momentum he could be the difference. The fact that Allen Gaels are in division 2 will make them a bit of an unknown quantity and Annaduff will remain a tough unit and whoever finishes 3rd in this group I would fancy to be the best 3rd placed team or to get through the playoffs. Group three is pretty clear cut as to who will finish 1st and 2nd with Mohill and Melvin Gaels. Carigallen will finish 3rd and will get no further than the playoffs. For relegation I fancy Kiltubrid to go down but we'll see, nobody could have predicted Seán O'Heslins to go down last year but Kiltubrid have been there or thereabouts the last number of years and they seem to have nobody coming through. There was not one Kiltubrid player on this years U-21 and as far I'm aware they have nobody on the Minor team either but someone may enlighten me on that one so I think they will have to rely on the old guard again and its a question of when not if.

LeitrimDaddy (Leitrim) - Posts: 82 - 25/03/2013 15:48:39    1356047

Link

manor or marys to win senior. I think manor will win it.

Intermediate B,more D,haire fenagh A,sheelin and eslin all have good chances

lugdrum (Leitrim) - Posts: 234 - 26/03/2013 17:24:56    1356855

Link

GROUP 1: 1st-gortlettragh 2nd-marys 3rd-aughawillan

GROUP 2: 1st-manor 2nd-annaduff 3rd-drumreilly

GROUP 3: 1st-mohill 2nd-melvin gaels 3rd-kiltubrid

its between manor and mohill this year in my opinion,marys are no longer the force they were and either are melvin gaels
without all the players that have left,they may even struggle in group if kiltubrid and carrigallen can find any form at all!

relegation could be between allen gaels and carrigallen as DIV 1 league football could affect both!

SLM (Leitrim) - Posts: 199 - 27/03/2013 10:29:29    1357087

Link

LEITIRMDADDY

youre right about kiltubrid having no u21s on county or minors but have a few very good minors coming through
2 of them were already in starting 15 last year,plus they have players also coming back such as shane foley so i reckon
they may just pip carrigallen to 3rd but not much more after that id say!

SLM (Leitrim) - Posts: 199 - 27/03/2013 10:39:48    1357093

Link

At the end of the day it will be down to the referee

We will see who ties the boot lases come championship time

After last years campaign I can't see a ref in the county giving them anything

The old gaurd barked loudly on the way out and now the young lieutenants must face the battle with the sergeants whistling against them

And finally one for the keeper a closed trap catches no mouse but an open goal lets in Manys a goal

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 28/03/2013 18:34:38    1358169

Link

theres some decent young lads in kiltubrid- their minor team had a decent league- but be 2 or 3 years before they cud make any sort of assault on the senior championship, it wudnt do them any harm to do a season in intermediate grade..

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 28/03/2013 20:23:18    1358225

Link

Them kiltrubrid lads wont do much harm this summer atall ya hear.
Maonr should win senior senior again no problem as the gales have emploded,maybe Mohill will have something to say about snr champ.
(billy wining matches no more :-) )

Dromahair have the intermediate won this year,and if we dont they will never win it.
A yo yo team if there ever was one.

Only competation is Ballinamore and wayne mc Keown.

Standard of refs is still shocking , shocking.

daisycutter (Leitrim) - Posts: 101 - 29/03/2013 12:43:05    1358385

Link