Leitrim Forum

Division 4 - National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The April break will give Terry ample opportunity to reflect on crucial team selections he got wrong on the day of the final. We all clearly saw that he made some errors. But he is entitled to do so.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 07/04/2019 19:34:01    2177978

Link

On reflection I'm not so sure how much terry for wrong in the selection for the final. It was the wides in the first 20 mins cost us. Everyone agrees that Derry are a lot better than div 4 more like a div 2 team. They have contested the last minor/ u20 finals and obviously slaughtneil have done well. We ran them 2 four points. We have had no underage Sucess in years and no club sucess either. We went toe to toe with Derry for the 70 mins. Could have won it with that little bit of luck.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 162 - 08/04/2019 12:48:59    2178040

Link

Spiritofeslin...I was at the game too and think they got their selection right... remember a few of those wides missed in the first half were quite narrow would have gone over other days...Derry seemed to have an extra gear when needed but Leitrim gave them a good rattle...if that Derry defender had not been on the line we might have got a jammy goal bit still think Derry would have slugged it out..every Leitrim player deserved to be on the pitch..they have the right mixture of discipline, commitment and talent...and discipline has been Leitrims failing in the recent past..it was a great battling display... I was a proud Leitrim man that day!

liatroim_abu (Leitrim) - Posts: 82 - 08/04/2019 18:15:25    2178086

Link

Replying To liatroim_abu:  "Spiritofeslin...I was at the game too and think they got their selection right... remember a few of those wides missed in the first half were quite narrow would have gone over other days...Derry seemed to have an extra gear when needed but Leitrim gave them a good rattle...if that Derry defender had not been on the line we might have got a jammy goal bit still think Derry would have slugged it out..every Leitrim player deserved to be on the pitch..they have the right mixture of discipline, commitment and talent...and discipline has been Leitrims failing in the recent past..it was a great battling display... I was a proud Leitrim man that day!"
I disagree. There were a couple of passengers starting that game and it hurt us. Had we gone with the team who won the first five games it would have been a different story at the end I feel

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 09/04/2019 08:57:06    2178145

Link

Replying To liatroim_abu:  "Spiritofeslin...I was at the game too and think they got their selection right... remember a few of those wides missed in the first half were quite narrow would have gone over other days...Derry seemed to have an extra gear when needed but Leitrim gave them a good rattle...if that Derry defender had not been on the line we might have got a jammy goal bit still think Derry would have slugged it out..every Leitrim player deserved to be on the pitch..they have the right mixture of discipline, commitment and talent...and discipline has been Leitrims failing in the recent past..it was a great battling display... I was a proud Leitrim man that day!"
Any person that knows anything about Leitrim football and been at league games will tell you Terry got it wrong with a couple of selections. Mulligan been the main one.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 62 - 09/04/2019 10:02:19    2178158

Link

I fully agree that Derry were and are a better more experienced team than us and fully deserved their victory and I was also very proud and impressed with aspects of our performance.

These things can all be true while also criticizing some of the decisions of the management who just like the players should not be immune from criticism even if they have been a breath of fresh air this year.

Starting Emlyn Mulligan was completely wrong. Starting Emlyn and then not putting him on frees was even worse.
Taking off Shane Moran was crazy.

Playing Mark Plunkett as a Centre back all year and then come the day of the final switching him back to midfield must have been hard to understand for the player. He may be brilliant but hopefully he does not become the new Donal Wrynn where he is used to fill a hole wherever we have a problem.

Using Sean McWeeney as a sweeper all year and then playing him as a conventional wing-back the day of the final and switching Shane Quinn back to his Sweeper role from last year was also hard to fathom.

Dropping Pearce Dolan and then bringing him on as a conventional Full Forward did not work. He's the type of player with his age profile and ability that I would be looking to build around not mess with his confidence.

I would guess that at whatever debriefing of the game the squad do Gary Plunkett will be looking for an explanation about how he did not even get on let alone start.

We also need to get more out of Darragh Rooney it has seemed to be that Terry hasn't had much faith in him since the beginning of the year but he is so young so his potential is huge.

Players like Aidan Flynn, Evan Sweeney and Conor Reynolds have flourished under their management when I would have guessed that nobody would have thought they were inter-county standard which with a small pick is a massive bonus.

The half-forward line is also an issue. Playing Domhnail Flynn and Dean McGoven together cannot work. They don't have the required speed. You might get away with one of them but certainly not the two of them.

Look, these are all criticism but doesn't mean I have lost faith in the management team. They have been brilliant but I do think they went against a few of their principals when it came to the final.

Really think a good 6 weeks can push us on for the Roscommon game with a few boys to come into the team.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 66 - 09/04/2019 10:49:06    2178174

Link

Replying To williesboy:  "Any person that knows anything about Leitrim football and been at league games will tell you Terry got it wrong with a couple of selections. Mulligan been the main one."
I would agree with that............as I said before we could never understand the hype about him to be honest. I have seen him play several times and never once did he stand out............when was the last time he actually stood out for ye in a game that really mattered?!! Ok doing it against weaker teams in years past when promotion was gone, or even this year against Waterford etc. Can anyone here tell me when he actually stood out against teams and actually made a big difference to warrant all this hype????

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 09/04/2019 11:29:07    2178184

Link

Well said LeitrimWay I think you have it all there in one better than I could post it.

Ludovic_Giuly (Leitrim) - Posts: 107 - 09/04/2019 12:35:10    2178200

Link

It was strange where Shane Quinn and Mark Plunkett played but it certainly worked. They both had great games. I still think we're very much in a situation where we have a lot of 50/50 calls to make on positions and when it goes wrong it's very easy to say why didn't you start someone else instead. In my eyes our only definite starters are Micheal McWeeney, Paddy Maguire, Shane Quinn, Ray Mulvey, Mark Plunkett, Shane Moran and Ryan O'Rourke. You could argue your way over most of the rest of the 26 from Croke Park and a couple of others as to whether they should be starting or not. I think we're lucky in a way to have so much competition for places these days.

Mulligan must have destroyed SOE/Tashy some day in the past and they're still not over it.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 09/04/2019 13:06:37    2178205

Link

Replying To SeanMacDiarmada:  "It was strange where Shane Quinn and Mark Plunkett played but it certainly worked. They both had great games. I still think we're very much in a situation where we have a lot of 50/50 calls to make on positions and when it goes wrong it's very easy to say why didn't you start someone else instead. In my eyes our only definite starters are Micheal McWeeney, Paddy Maguire, Shane Quinn, Ray Mulvey, Mark Plunkett, Shane Moran and Ryan O'Rourke. You could argue your way over most of the rest of the 26 from Croke Park and a couple of others as to whether they should be starting or not. I think we're lucky in a way to have so much competition for places these days.

Mulligan must have destroyed SOE/Tashy some day in the past and they're still not over it."
Didn't destroy me anyway coz ye never beat us since he started playing if I am correct- can u answer the original question I asked?? When did he last stand out???

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 09/04/2019 14:10:35    2178217

Link

Replying To SeanMacDiarmada:  "It was strange where Shane Quinn and Mark Plunkett played but it certainly worked. They both had great games. I still think we're very much in a situation where we have a lot of 50/50 calls to make on positions and when it goes wrong it's very easy to say why didn't you start someone else instead. In my eyes our only definite starters are Micheal McWeeney, Paddy Maguire, Shane Quinn, Ray Mulvey, Mark Plunkett, Shane Moran and Ryan O'Rourke. You could argue your way over most of the rest of the 26 from Croke Park and a couple of others as to whether they should be starting or not. I think we're lucky in a way to have so much competition for places these days.

Mulligan must have destroyed SOE/Tashy some day in the past and they're still not over it."
I didn't mention any specific player, I said some players because there was more than one who should not have started and were in no way 50/50 calls. Terry got it wrong on the day and I know we all accept it.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 09/04/2019 14:18:01    2178218

Link

Remember lads it's a 20 man squad and game any more..Leitrim have finished strongly in the past so having your best men starting not always the most important...having a player on for 20 mins with a man waiting on the bench to replace him a good strategy...in fairness to Mulligan he had a great game against Waterford so he earned his starting berth at least and he did score two points outpaced or not...and as for freetaking those were easy enough frees and for future development and confidence we should have gone have given them to young blood for future confidence...spiritofeslin tashy and the new poster williesboy seem to have a vendetta against a certain player who has always been a great servant of leitrim football....and leitrimway your points well made can't really argue with you....at this stage let's look to giving Roscommon a good rattle May 12th...Liatroim Abu

liatroim_abu (Leitrim) - Posts: 82 - 09/04/2019 15:55:40    2178240

Link

Replying To liatroim_abu:  "Remember lads it's a 20 man squad and game any more..Leitrim have finished strongly in the past so having your best men starting not always the most important...having a player on for 20 mins with a man waiting on the bench to replace him a good strategy...in fairness to Mulligan he had a great game against Waterford so he earned his starting berth at least and he did score two points outpaced or not...and as for freetaking those were easy enough frees and for future development and confidence we should have gone have given them to young blood for future confidence...spiritofeslin tashy and the new poster williesboy seem to have a vendetta against a certain player who has always been a great servant of leitrim football....and leitrimway your points well made can't really argue with you....at this stage let's look to giving Roscommon a good rattle May 12th...Liatroim Abu"
Will you stop! It's Leitrim and we can't afford to not start the best team available nor have any experience not starting out strongest team to bring on better players to finish a game for us. Cope on we aren't Dublin. I've nothing against Mulligan and have nothing but respect for him as a player. He was a great baller for Leitrim and to come back from 3 career ending injuries is a credit to him and impressive to be fair. Look he shouldn't have been started and it's a dig at management not Mulligan.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 62 - 09/04/2019 17:20:53    2178254

Link

Replying To liatroim_abu:  "Remember lads it's a 20 man squad and game any more..Leitrim have finished strongly in the past so having your best men starting not always the most important...having a player on for 20 mins with a man waiting on the bench to replace him a good strategy...in fairness to Mulligan he had a great game against Waterford so he earned his starting berth at least and he did score two points outpaced or not...and as for freetaking those were easy enough frees and for future development and confidence we should have gone have given them to young blood for future confidence...spiritofeslin tashy and the new poster williesboy seem to have a vendetta against a certain player who has always been a great servant of leitrim football....and leitrimway your points well made can't really argue with you....at this stage let's look to giving Roscommon a good rattle May 12th...Liatroim Abu"
No vendetta at all. As I've said I've never mentioned a specific player in any of my posts so you're putting words in my mouth. It is basic footballing sense that you should always start your best team, especially in a final, leaving someone to the last 20 mins doesn't work and we saw that in the final. It was a tactical error.
My granny would have a great game against Waterford. They are no barometer to judge by with all due respect.
You mention developing young blood but young blood was dropped in the final for players nearing the end of their careers. You're contradicting yershel!

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 09/04/2019 17:58:51    2178260

Link

SeanMacD I totally agree with what you've said there. And I think the persistent, spiteful comments by the tashy/SOE combo about Mulligan are becoming tiresome.

In 2008 v Galway Mulligan had a great game and drew some rave reviews for his performance. Commentators had him marked out as a star of the future. I know that we were all excited about him. Even though he got sent off against Sligo in 2011, he was one of a number of standout players that day. Again in 2012 v Laois in the qualifier he had another really good performance in Carrick. Of course, he was a standout performer most recently against Waterford, but the tashy/SOE combo and others have already appointed themselves judge and jury on why that match doesn't count. Regardless, that pass he made that led to the goal was sublime. It was worth being there to see it.

True, he hasn't had the stellar career we all wished for him back in 2008, but three torn cruciates and the mess into which the team descended to in subsequent years have played a big part in that. Until recent times there were plenty of occasions when no Leitrim player stood out. Thankfully that is changing.

I wasn't disappointed that he started in Croker. But I was disappointed with the role he was given. Mulligan was never a target man and never a speed merchant; even less so now. His strengths are in his ability to see space and opportunities before others do and to bring others into play. In Croke Park when he drifted back out to the half-forward line that was where he was most effective, and that is where he was always most effective. No doubt he will be disappointed with the chance he missed early on, but the point he got at the start of the second half showed all of his qualities. He created that opportunity out of nothing and finished it exquisitely. Even the tashy/SOE combo should have the good grace to acknowledge that. One other thing about that Croke Park match, nobody has mentioned the poor quality of ball that went in to him. Sure he was out muscled by the defender at times, but the ball invariably was less than a 50/50 and that always favoured the defender.

Mulligan obviously has the appetite to still compete in intercounty football. The management clearly recognise that. I think he still has a lot to offer to this young team and the management obviously see a value in having him in the squad. He can be a really positive influence for some of the younger players as well as injecting competition for places. It will be interesting to see if he gets selected for the Roscommon match. As SeanMacD said, there are plenty of 50/50 calls to be made on that selection.

offyertrolley (Leitrim) - Posts: 131 - 09/04/2019 20:46:15    2178285

Link

Replying To offyertrolley:  "SeanMacD I totally agree with what you've said there. And I think the persistent, spiteful comments by the tashy/SOE combo about Mulligan are becoming tiresome.

In 2008 v Galway Mulligan had a great game and drew some rave reviews for his performance. Commentators had him marked out as a star of the future. I know that we were all excited about him. Even though he got sent off against Sligo in 2011, he was one of a number of standout players that day. Again in 2012 v Laois in the qualifier he had another really good performance in Carrick. Of course, he was a standout performer most recently against Waterford, but the tashy/SOE combo and others have already appointed themselves judge and jury on why that match doesn't count. Regardless, that pass he made that led to the goal was sublime. It was worth being there to see it.

True, he hasn't had the stellar career we all wished for him back in 2008, but three torn cruciates and the mess into which the team descended to in subsequent years have played a big part in that. Until recent times there were plenty of occasions when no Leitrim player stood out. Thankfully that is changing.

I wasn't disappointed that he started in Croker. But I was disappointed with the role he was given. Mulligan was never a target man and never a speed merchant; even less so now. His strengths are in his ability to see space and opportunities before others do and to bring others into play. In Croke Park when he drifted back out to the half-forward line that was where he was most effective, and that is where he was always most effective. No doubt he will be disappointed with the chance he missed early on, but the point he got at the start of the second half showed all of his qualities. He created that opportunity out of nothing and finished it exquisitely. Even the tashy/SOE combo should have the good grace to acknowledge that. One other thing about that Croke Park match, nobody has mentioned the poor quality of ball that went in to him. Sure he was out muscled by the defender at times, but the ball invariably was less than a 50/50 and that always favoured the defender.

Mulligan obviously has the appetite to still compete in intercounty football. The management clearly recognise that. I think he still has a lot to offer to this young team and the management obviously see a value in having him in the squad. He can be a really positive influence for some of the younger players as well as injecting competition for places. It will be interesting to see if he gets selected for the Roscommon match. As SeanMacD said, there are plenty of 50/50 calls to be made on that selection."
On a forum there will be opinions that others don't agree with. But for them to be called spiteful is a bit much. I've said it was the management at fault for what was one blip on a great season so far and not the players. Some of them are just passed their best and that is no shame, age and injuries as you say catch us all.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 09/04/2019 22:05:33    2178295

Link

Replying To tashy:  "Didn't destroy me anyway coz ye never beat us since he started playing if I am correct- can u answer the original question I asked?? When did he last stand out???"
Tashy u say mulligan never played well against ye (Roscommon) but in 2014 mulligan was awarded man of the match in a championship game against Roscommon in the Hyde in a match Leitrim lost which is rare sight to see a loosing team player get man of the match and if I remember correctly to that game he was suberb scoring some top class points and also his work rate was immense . That match alone proves how wrong you are about a top quality footballer, yes there is the argument that he shouldn't of started in the final but we only get to see a small percentage of what the management sees as they see the players play 3-4 times a week! What ever some of the people posting on this forums problem or past experiences with mulligan it's obvious that ye did not have a good one but , your arguments is invalid and if ye are true Leitrim then you should not be putting down one of the greatest servants to Leitrim football you should be thanking him.

hurricane567 (Leitrim) - Posts: 34 - 09/04/2019 23:33:17    2178307

Link

His no better or worse than 2 murtaghs , Smith's cox ciaran lennon or any good forward its how they perform on big championship day decides there status. All the above are good lads just need to prove it on big stage.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1366 - 10/04/2019 23:30:16    2178417

Link

Replying To williesboy:  "Will you stop! It's Leitrim and we can't afford to not start the best team available nor have any experience not starting out strongest team to bring on better players to finish a game for us. Cope on we aren't Dublin. I've nothing against Mulligan and have nothing but respect for him as a player. He was a great baller for Leitrim and to come back from 3 career ending injuries is a credit to him and impressive to be fair. Look he shouldn't have been started and it's a dig at management not Mulligan."
Agree with comments about Emlyn. He put on the Jersey with pride when others wouldn't even commit to the County . He has a hunger to play for Leitrim and fully deserved to start in Croke Park. He played his part in a great day and he will continue to be an important part of the Leitrim set up. The comments about the starting line up while interesting ignore that Terry is the Manager ably backed by a very professional group on the line. Not since John O'Mahony and more recently Mickey Moran and John Morrison RIP have we been so fortunate. It's a results game and some posters can continue to be outraged but Consider where we have come from. Management have done an outstanding job and we have the most talented bunch both on field and off in decades so please stop moaning and enjoy the moment!. Beating Roscommon is now an achievable objective irrespective of our relative positions. Who would have thought it after the humiliations of the last 2 championships. ! It's a great time to be a Leitrim supporter.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 13/04/2019 16:18:28    2178678

Link