Leitrim Forum

Club Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Aughawillan are just incredible, for such a small club and area they really produce just amazing footballers and teams. They really must live and breathe football, if all clubs could do what they do with their resources then Leitrim football would be in a hell of a good place. Where other teams produce boys they seem to produce men, men that are tough, committed, fearless, dedicated, determined, skillfull and not afraid to throw off the shackles and stand up and be counted. Time and time again down through the years they have proven this. Whatever they do down in that small pocket of rural Leitrim is something very special.

I really hope with Terry Hyland on board next year that the likes of Pearce Dolan, Mark and Gary Plunkett and Sean Flanagan will be playing for Leitrim. And after today i am sure he will do everything to get them and indeed more of the Aughawillan players involved, the absence of these type of players over the last number of years has hindered the Leitrim team. The above mentioned players look like the real deal and just what Leitrim need for a promotion next year. Dolan and the Plunketts were just immense today, particularly Gary who enhanced his reputation as the best forward in Leitrim club football today. Flanagan was sensational as a super sub.

Just wasn't to be Mohill's day, but no doubt they will be back. Like Aughawillan mohill have a team packed with talent and definately capable of winning more of titles.

A fantastic final, an abundance of talent on display, new county sponsors, new county ground sponsors, a new top class management team in place - things are looking up lads- 2019 is going to be a great year

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 14/10/2018 21:49:10    2146522

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "Aughawillan are just incredible, for such a small club and area they really produce just amazing footballers and teams. They really must live and breathe football, if all clubs could do what they do with their resources then Leitrim football would be in a hell of a good place. Where other teams produce boys they seem to produce men, men that are tough, committed, fearless, dedicated, determined, skillfull and not afraid to throw off the shackles and stand up and be counted. Time and time again down through the years they have proven this. Whatever they do down in that small pocket of rural Leitrim is something very special.

I really hope with Terry Hyland on board next year that the likes of Pearce Dolan, Mark and Gary Plunkett and Sean Flanagan will be playing for Leitrim. And after today i am sure he will do everything to get them and indeed more of the Aughawillan players involved, the absence of these type of players over the last number of years has hindered the Leitrim team. The above mentioned players look like the real deal and just what Leitrim need for a promotion next year. Dolan and the Plunketts were just immense today, particularly Gary who enhanced his reputation as the best forward in Leitrim club football today. Flanagan was sensational as a super sub.

Just wasn't to be Mohill's day, but no doubt they will be back. Like Aughawillan mohill have a team packed with talent and definately capable of winning more of titles.

A fantastic final, an abundance of talent on display, new county sponsors, new county ground sponsors, a new top class management team in place - things are looking up lads- 2019 is going to be a great year"
Very well said.The only thing I would like to add is the really good work being carried out under the Coaching Programme.There is excellent feedback on this .

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 15/10/2018 18:19:29    2146667

Link

must be a north leitrim forum , 3 or 4 comments about the county finals .

newyorkone (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 17/10/2018 23:22:19    2147046

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "Aughawillan are just incredible, for such a small club and area they really produce just amazing footballers and teams. They really must live and breathe football, if all clubs could do what they do with their resources then Leitrim football would be in a hell of a good place. Where other teams produce boys they seem to produce men, men that are tough, committed, fearless, dedicated, determined, skillfull and not afraid to throw off the shackles and stand up and be counted. Time and time again down through the years they have proven this. Whatever they do down in that small pocket of rural Leitrim is something very special.

A fantastic final, an abundance of talent on display, new county sponsors, new county ground sponsors, a new top class management team in place - things are looking up lads- 2019 is going to be a great year"
I find it astonishing that you're the only man that had any input on county final weekend and it almost a week gone by ,

newyorkone (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 18/10/2018 03:55:56    2147053

Link

Replying To newyorkone:  "must be a north leitrim forum , 3 or 4 comments about the county finals ."
I was starting to think that myself.... there was lots of gibber earlier in the season so I find it all a bit strange myself....

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 18/10/2018 10:31:47    2147078

Link

Best County final this decade in my opinion. It had everything. Brilliant scores, physicality, and it was a tight game. Aughawillan are a freak club. They thrive on the big day. They've now beaten Manor, St Marys and Mohill in 3 county finals. All teams with probably 10 times the population of them. If you look at all the parishes around them even in West Cavan Templeport are a junior club, Corlough look like they are about to fold, Drumreilly are relying on a core group of men who have to be near retiring. Ballinamore don't have near enough talent to win yet. It's bizarre how this little pocket can be so successful I can't put my finger on it.

I'm sure even by their own expectations this one had to come against the odds, Noel Plunkett at full forward due to being clearly injured, Midfielder Fox was not even togged and Sean Flanagan only came on. I don't think Pearce Dolan even played football in 2018 before the league began according to most.

Mohill will come again Aughawillan just didn't let them get into the game. Nothing went right for them. They couldn't get Kennedy onto the ball as a result of big McTague shadowing him, Quinn and Keegan broke a lot of ball in the first half but Mark Plunkett and Pearce Dolan just took over when it mattered in the end. The use of Oisin Madden is surely going to cause debate in Mohill over a long winter. Domhnail Flynn and McLoughlin had great games but outside of that I though Aughawillan won all their match up's. Barry Prior was excellent and calmed his teammates with his brilliant use of the ball. Ciaran Gilheany also did well for a guy who looks short fitness wise his first point was important to show that the Willies were going to turn up.

Gary Plunkett is electric, both feet, pace, strength and a selfishness that must drive his team mates mad at times but it is also probably his best quality. Man of the match in two of their finals yet he wasn't even on the Leitrim panel last year. It beggars belief.
Mark and Gary Plunkett and Dolan and in a year or two's time Fergal McTague need to be main stays of Terry Hylands Leitrim.
Mohill have not gone away though. Nobody would be surprised if they were back better than ever in 2019.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 138 - 18/10/2018 11:39:25    2147093

Link

Mohill were good the last day, Aughawillan were just better. Gary being the most important player on the field ably assisted by Flanagan's introduction. Mark and Pearce were excellent but the never say die spirit and the way they finished the game by players like McGovern and Rory McTague typified why the Willies were never going to be beaten. The amount they get from their ordinary players is phenomenal. Morgan Quinn throughout was excellent.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 18/10/2018 12:42:06    2147115

Link

I believe Fenagh can win today. They didnt show up last week and some of them looked nervous. Jack Gilheany was the stand out player in the field last and if they can get a similiar display from him and an improved showimg from the two county lads i predict fenagh by 5points

index777 (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 21/10/2018 08:40:18    2147428

Link

For lack of any (good) analysis it's probably good that Fenagh won promotion yesterday - getting the O'Rourkes, Wrynn and Gilheany playing senior championship will be good for the county in the long term. Theoretically. Annaduff, you can be sure they'll be there or thereabouts next year again. Noteworthy that three small communities won the three championships this year. Mohill aside, all the big towns could be doing a bit better I think.

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 22/10/2018 09:52:30    2147600

Link

Fenagh were worthy winners yesterday and Annaduff can have few complaints. The game essentially came down to the fact that Fenagh took their goal chances and Annaduff missed theirs. Sean Mc Nabola seemed the one class act for Annaduff - plenty of endeavour from the remainder of the team but they are still reliant on an older cohort of players. For Fenagh - they totally dominated midfield; both Gilheany and Wrynne impressed. Wing back Keegan also caught my eye but star of the show was undoubtedly Ryan O Rourke who was simply unplayable at times.

Overall, an enjoyable game, a great crowd (Ive seen Senior finals with less at them) and good to see both teams trying to play a more direct game. Well done to Fenagh; they will be an addition to the Senior ranks next year.

leitrimlhady (Leitrim) - Posts: 74 - 22/10/2018 10:37:45    2147617

Link

Sounded like a pretty dour match over in Sligo, Toulestrane finished the game with 13 men and only lost by a point. Not sure where that leave Aughawillan, have they a chance against Ballintubber?

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 04/11/2018 15:48:52    2149500

Link

I'd like to think Aughawillan with the traditions they have as a club will take this game seriously and have been preparing to ambush Ballintubber but against Corofin and Brigids they have been physically outclassed while also just not turning up at all on the days. Now it has to be seen in the context that St Brigids will go down as Roscommon's best ever club team and Corofin might go down as one of the best ever in Ireland so it was no shame on a club with Aughawillans resources to get well beaten.

The radio yesterday said that Ballintubber will have 5 players on the Mayo panel in 2019, the two O'Connors, Michael Plunkett, Brian Murphy and Jason Gibbons. Then add in Alan Dillon who has been an All Star. For the majority of 2018 Aughawillan had one Leitrim player in Noel Plunkett and Mark Plunkett joined up for 7 or 8 weeks. that put's in perspective the size of the challenge the Willies are facing.

As neutrals it will tell us a lot about some of their players we will be looking to make an impact for Leitrim in the coming years. Fergal McTague will be detailed to mark Cillian O'Connor. He seems to the type of young lad that will relish the challenge and will have no problem getting physically stuck in to him. This could also present problems as any free within 50 meters and he will stick it over the bar.

It will be interesting to see who they put on Diarmuid O'Connor. Mark Plunkett aerially and physically will be a match for him but will it be taking away from his own game if he has to keep tracking Diarmuid for the whole game? Alan Dillion seems to be their link man so I could see Michael Quinn or more than likely Barry Prior picking him up. The question is do you follow him all over the pitch and leave your defence exposed? Jason Gibbons seems to be a perfect match up for Pearce Dolan both tall rangy men. Dolan might be a far better footballer but Gibbons will have way more power than Dolan who is still young and light.

It's not Aughawillans star players who are going to decide how this game turns out it is their less well known men. If they can raise their game they could seriously rattle Ballintubber.
A full forward line with Sean Flanagan (if fit) Ciaran Gilheany and Morgan Quinn are well able to pick off scores. After Gary Plunkett's exploits in the county final I expect Ballintubber to try and man mark him so it will be up to the others to up their scoring levels. If Ballintubber under-estimate Augahwillan like so many teams in the past they will be in for a shock. The Willies need to keep it tight for the first 40 mins and try to go for the jugular once the opportunity presents itself.

Hard to look past Ballintubber but with Aughawillan anything is possible…

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 138 - 05/11/2018 14:37:37    2149664

Link

Is anyone giving Aughawillan any chance? 9/2 is a massive price for them in a Two horse race.

Mohills weaker players are probably a lot stronger or more well known than Aughawillans weaker players which is why many were giving them a better chance in Connacht but I wouldn't like to be Ballintubber's Players/supporters if Mark and Gary Plunkett and Pearce Dolan are on their game on Sunday. Gilheany and Flanagan can also do damage if they get given space. Even though Fergal McTague has been the most improved player and the best defender in our club championship this year I would worry big time about their other 5 defenders as they lack pace in my view especially when Noel Plunkett hasn't been fit enough to play in his proper position. Now don't get me wrong the unbelievable work rate and attitude of their whole squad supplements this but it has to be a worry for them.

Ballintubber won't be giving a damm about Aughawillans traditions or reputation which if they get on top of Auaghwillan might mean they pull away comfortably but if it is a close, niggly game and The Willies get them into a dog fight then with that club anything could happen. It would in my view be the biggest shock in Gaa in Ireland in 2018 if they could pull it off. They'll need at least 2 goals if they'll are going to keep in the game.

As much as it pains me to say it I hope they get a good support in Pairc Sean on Sunday as it will be good for the psyche of Leitrim football as a whole if they can put in a big performance.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 09/11/2018 15:05:12    2150402

Link

I went along to the game in Carrick today. Aughawillan showed great heart and spirit and at stages put Ballintubber under serious pressure however it's evident that are very reliant on the first 15 and a few older lads. They could do with a few more county standard lads, when the chips were down Ballintubber capitalised on the mistakes Aughawillan made and made them pay for it. From memory the 3 goals were scored in less than 10 minutes.

I don't think Ballintubber will be going any further, Corofin showed their class against Clann naGael and will beat them well. At points I thought they looked very ordinary.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 11/11/2018 19:59:46    2150651

Link

Strange game in Pairc Sean yesterday.

Ballintubber won by 9 in the end but the Aughawillan players will be waking up today knowing they missed a serious opportunity to cause a serious upset.

All three of Ballintubbers goals came from stupid Aughawillan mistakes that they would usually never make. You could add on 2 or 3 points from woeful passes along with that.

It has to be said some of Aughawillans score taking was of the highest calibre. Especially in the first half against the wind they kicked 5 points that were worth paying in to see.

Mark Plunkett and Dolan broke a lot of ball around the middle but Aughawillan could not win any breaking ball all game which was a nightmare as they couldn't get a foothold into the game.

Big Flanagan came out and went directly at the Ballintubber defence and skinned them but pulled his shot badly wide. If that had of gone in I would not be one bit surprised if they had of went on to win it out.
It has to be said that they got absolutely nothing from the Ref who seemed to be easily influenced by Ballintubbers big name players the whole game.

Just a side note. It's imperative that 5 or 6 of them Aughawillan players get called up to the senior squad. After yesterday, as raw as he can be and he is still young but Fergal McTague has to go straight in to the starting team. He kept O'Connor scoreless from play and I would guess that he has done the same to most of the opposition's best players in this year's Leitrim championship. He has all the raw materials you need. He is tall, powerful and aggressive. It's the more subtle technical skills he needs to improve but with good coaching at county level that should not be an issue. I can't see any scenario where Mark and Gary Plunkett and Pearce Dolan won't all be starting either. Once again it highlights how bizzare it was that Noel Plunkett was the only one of them on the panel the whole of 2018.

That ends our club football for the year. No doubt there's been a serious improvements of standards over the last 5 years but no teams are even close to getting near Aughawillan or Mohill. Hopefully the likes of Ballinamore and Melvin Gaels will follow through on their potential and Fenagh in 2 or three years.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 138 - 12/11/2018 11:59:37    2150744

Link