Galway Forum

Galway V New York/ Corona Virus.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Toman:  "Good Post"
Thank you for reading and understanding my point.

For that other poster (i will refrain from calling names!) that blames me for some issues in football. I have no hand act or part in admin or coaching of any gaa club/county at any level other than holding a bag of something if the under 6 coach can't manage to carry everything!

I don't understand how players staying in reasonable shape is such a big issue. Are you saying that it is an irrelevance to gaa because gaa is sooooo different to all other sports that the staying in good shape does not matter? Surely it is something to be encouraged??

Obviously there are some extreme coaches out there who go over the top (can never be justified ....and I am not trying to). However in my experience most players want to stay fit and if left to their own devices will train hard with the potential to actually over train. Issuing training guidelines is not a bad thing and may actually help keep them injury free.

We need to remember at I/C level and top club level you are dealing with highly motivated individuals and they want to work hard and sometimes the hardest thing is holding them back. I agree that players should certainly lessen their loads. The body needs recovery and cannot be always at peak. But that does not mean stop training completely.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1221 - 21/05/2020 11:05:56    2278902

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Thank you for reading and understanding my point.

For that other poster (i will refrain from calling names!) that blames me for some issues in football. I have no hand act or part in admin or coaching of any gaa club/county at any level other than holding a bag of something if the under 6 coach can't manage to carry everything!

I don't understand how players staying in reasonable shape is such a big issue. Are you saying that it is an irrelevance to gaa because gaa is sooooo different to all other sports that the staying in good shape does not matter? Surely it is something to be encouraged??

Obviously there are some extreme coaches out there who go over the top (can never be justified ....and I am not trying to). However in my experience most players want to stay fit and if left to their own devices will train hard with the potential to actually over train. Issuing training guidelines is not a bad thing and may actually help keep them injury free.

We need to remember at I/C level and top club level you are dealing with highly motivated individuals and they want to work hard and sometimes the hardest thing is holding them back. I agree that players should certainly lessen their loads. The body needs recovery and cannot be always at peak. But that does not mean stop training completely."
Yes most players want to stay fit but now do not have access to gyms, do not have access to pitches to run around, cannot go anymore than 5km from home, and most likely do not have access to Gym equipment. Most players have trained together as a team since they were u8 and now they are being asked oh "Run the Roads" for a 5km. Most would have never done this in the past and are now experiencing a new type of injury. (Hips, Knees etc). Then they go back to training on the pitch. A whole new set of problems as they will have trained like a runner and now have to run completely differently with rapid change in direction. The amount of injuries that will happen will be huge if not done properly with adequate preparation time.

Keeping in shape is fine in theory but if you have played and trained for years as a team and now they are tasked with doing it on their own unfortunately it just wont happen.

galwaygoal (Galway) - Posts: 98 - 21/05/2020 17:38:28    2278929

Link

Replying To galwaygoal:  "
Replying To Mayonman:  "Thank you for reading and understanding my point.

We need to remember at I/C level and top club level you are dealing with highly motivated individuals and they want to work hard and sometimes the hardest thing is holding them back. I agree that players should certainly lessen their loads. The body needs recovery and cannot be always at peak. But that does not mean stop training completely."
Yes most players want to stay fit but now do not have access to gyms, do not have access to pitches to run around, cannot go anymore than 5km from home, and most likely do not have access to Gym equipment. Most players have trained together as a team since they were u8 and now they are being asked oh "Run the Roads" for a 5km. Most would have never done this in the past and are now experiencing a new type of injury. (Hips, Knees etc). Then they go back to training on the pitch. A whole new set of problems as they will have trained like a runner and now have to run completely differently with rapid change in direction. The amount of injuries that will happen will be huge if not done properly with adequate preparation time.

Keeping in shape is fine in theory but if you have played and trained for years as a team and now they are tasked with doing it on their own unfortunately it just wont happen."
Some very valid points. But just remember running the road is 5 km each way which is 10 km. I do very much agree that running on roads can cause numerous problems. Some of those problems could have been avoided by GAA top brass ie leave the pitches open. We are advised about social distance when in supermarkets etc. Most of us adhere to those rules so why would we so stupid to do the opposite when on a gaa pitch. Personally I think the Gaa pitches should have been left open for recreational and keep fit purposes. By closing them it sends out a message from hierarchy that we only want ye when theres money involved. I cant see what would be wrong with 12 or 14 lads jogging or running on pitch if they have cop to social distance. Now on ur other point about gyms been out of bounds, I totally agree with this one. There is no way gyms could be kept open. It would be impossible to social distance and you would need to hire a cleaner to sanitize after every use. Most clubs I pass recently are locked but most also have lads exercising on them and if I'm honest the ones I saw those lads were 10 to 15 yards apart. This virus is going to be with us a long time so what is needed is education on how to live with it.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 403 - 23/05/2020 00:29:45    2279032

Link

It's time for the GAA to open our club pitches across the board. There is virtually no covid-19 in the community now, remaining pockets are largely isolated to nursing homes. Children, especially teenagers, need the outlet of pitches to reopen - as do playing age adults or any age where there are walking facilities around the pitch. We can still maintain vigilance and other sensible measures but it's time to open. Kids, teens are now meeting up everywhere on bikes, in gardens etc. That's the reality of it. They should now have access to our pitches that we all paid for and many of us volunteered to build or upgrade. According to the majority of experts on this pandemic, there will likely be a second wave in September / October, we need a window now to give young people the sport, exercise and mental health boost of having access to their pitch.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 23/05/2020 09:58:15    2279039

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "It's time for the GAA to open our club pitches across the board. There is virtually no covid-19 in the community now, remaining pockets are largely isolated to nursing homes. Children, especially teenagers, need the outlet of pitches to reopen - as do playing age adults or any age where there are walking facilities around the pitch. We can still maintain vigilance and other sensible measures but it's time to open. Kids, teens are now meeting up everywhere on bikes, in gardens etc. That's the reality of it. They should now have access to our pitches that we all paid for and many of us volunteered to build or upgrade. According to the majority of experts on this pandemic, there will likely be a second wave in September / October, we need a window now to give young people the sport, exercise and mental health boost of having access to their pitch."
Are pitches still closed? I dont think that is the case all over the country . The concern here is that there is not a level playing field across the country, if you excuse the pun.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 95 - 23/05/2020 14:28:55    2279061

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "Are pitches still closed? I dont think that is the case all over the country . The concern here is that there is not a level playing field across the country, if you excuse the pun."
Yes, closed on GAA instruction until July 20th - that feels like a lifetime away! It's ridiculous. They need to reopen now.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 23/05/2020 21:33:22    2279090

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "Yes, closed on GAA instruction until July 20th - that feels like a lifetime away! It's ridiculous. They need to reopen now."
The GAA seems to be trying to cover their own arses in case of a claim. Most if not all members were payed up ther affiliation before this virus struck. The GAA missed a trick by not leaving pitches open. If they did leave them open they would have been looked upon as helping out lads exercising, keeping fit not to mention helping with individuals mental wellbeing. ... As it stands there is no way the GAA can go looking for affiliation again next year. I see the LGFA came up with the idea that members were covered to train individually at home, and had to cancel this idea 2 weeks later in case of claims.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 403 - 23/05/2020 22:13:42    2279092

Link

Lads, just a question (not an opinion.......so club lovers don't attack!). As the situation seems to be rapidly evolving (for the better thank god) and it looks as if games will recommence by the end of the summer albeit potentially behind closed doors.

There has been a lot of calls that if football comes back it should be club first. What if club games are not practical because of the large numbers involved. What if county was actually the more practical to go first (there are only 32 counties approx)?

This is not me saying it should be county or it should be club.....at this stage i would go to a tiddlywinks contest for either! I would just hate us to have no football because we are following an ideology (club first) rather than practicalities.

I am not agitating for a quick return either. I am just going by the roadmap that is laid out and assuming that follows through.

What do ye think?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1221 - 02/06/2020 11:18:54    2279710

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Lads, just a question (not an opinion.......so club lovers don't attack!). As the situation seems to be rapidly evolving (for the better thank god) and it looks as if games will recommence by the end of the summer albeit potentially behind closed doors.

There has been a lot of calls that if football comes back it should be club first. What if club games are not practical because of the large numbers involved. What if county was actually the more practical to go first (there are only 32 counties approx)?

This is not me saying it should be county or it should be club.....at this stage i would go to a tiddlywinks contest for either! I would just hate us to have no football because we are following an ideology (club first) rather than practicalities.

I am not agitating for a quick return either. I am just going by the roadmap that is laid out and assuming that follows through.

What do ye think?"
I think you have no interest in hurling

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 148 - 02/06/2020 19:30:39    2279760

Link

Replying To SixtiesKid:  "I think you have no interest in hurling"
lol!

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1221 - 04/06/2020 21:27:56    2279907

Link

Looking like the galway u20 team willl get their chance to play their all ire semi

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1144 - 07/06/2020 09:27:42    2280044

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "Yes, closed on GAA instruction until July 20th - that feels like a lifetime away! It's ridiculous. They need to reopen now."
the thing about this is , it's only gaa pitches that are closed, if your local club plays on a community pitch,that can be open at the discretion of whatever local committee is in charge, what does not change is that the player injury scheme is suspended so player's will use pitch at their own risk, from what I have seen some clubs/players are taking this chance.

2hops (Galway) - Posts: 54 - 17/06/2020 16:13:54    2281132

Link

All changed now ......

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1221 - 19/06/2020 22:45:24    2281327

Link