Limerick Forum

Limerick senior footballers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Limerick.lad:  "East star - you sound like a member of management with that rubbish! Limerick were a disgrace and seem to be thrown together overnight. Did any training take place?. I have a feeling the towel was thrown in well before this game took place. Can't fault players but Limerick were a kick of a ball off Kerry last year and this year 20 points. Management clueless and players without a plan. Didn't do any good for either side!"
Good guess but no I am not part of the management. I agree the management is very poor, behind the times. Yes the towel was thrown in well before the game with what it seemed whoever turned up to a training session getting selected. What can you do when guys are not interested. Kerry were far more well drilled like a team together for a couple of months as expected. I know it may sound like I am trying to make excuses and it was embarrassing really bad. Last year Limerick had a decent junior team that included Jamie Lee, Padraig Scanlon, Seamus Carroll etc no players of their calibre this year. Too much dead wood I could only see one member of 21s?? Hardly all on J1s?

EastStar (Limerick) - 12/06/2017 10:57:47    1998339

Link

Replying To Limerick.lad:  "East star - you sound like a member of management with that rubbish! Limerick were a disgrace and seem to be thrown together overnight. Did any training take place?. I have a feeling the towel was thrown in well before this game took place. Can't fault players but Limerick were a kick of a ball off Kerry last year and this year 20 points. Management clueless and players without a plan. Didn't do any good for either side!"
Would agree with you I thought the lads seem to be sent out just to have a go and see how they get on. Once i saw the Kerry team i knew Limerick were in trouble tbh. Last years junior team was made up of lads not wanting to play senior who were well good enough for it , which made the team a lot stronger. Runners from half back line and mid field killed the team, limerick just weren't fit enough and left our backs totally isolated for accurate kick passes.

Da_flyin_winger (Limerick) - 12/06/2017 11:02:14    1998342

Link

Replying To Da_flyin_winger:  "Would agree with you I thought the lads seem to be sent out just to have a go and see how they get on. Once i saw the Kerry team i knew Limerick were in trouble tbh. Last years junior team was made up of lads not wanting to play senior who were well good enough for it , which made the team a lot stronger. Runners from half back line and mid field killed the team, limerick just weren't fit enough and left our backs totally isolated for accurate kick passes."
I played 15 years ago against the Limerick midfielder who was taken off after 20 minutes yesterday. What does that say about our second string team? Better off if Diarmuid Sheehy togged out himself from the sideline. We even had a lad from Kerry ( firies to be exact) play for the Limerick team...Is there any young lads that want to play for their county?

Leavetheref (Limerick) - 12/06/2017 17:19:38    1998638

Link

Replying To Leavetheref:  "I played 15 years ago against the Limerick midfielder who was taken off after 20 minutes yesterday. What does that say about our second string team? Better off if Diarmuid Sheehy togged out himself from the sideline. We even had a lad from Kerry ( firies to be exact) play for the Limerick team...Is there any young lads that want to play for their county?"
Are people actually so naive that they think our juniors will every be competitive against the likes of Kerry/Cork etc? In reality a lot of junior clubs in Kerry e.g Ballydonoghue, Duagh would beat most if not all Limerick senior clubs. Glenbeigh won the all ireland with ease! I say fair play to Diarmuid Sheehy and he shouldnt take any blame. Lads in this county won't even commit to senior football not to mind Junior so Diarmuid is doing his best.

gorby580 (Limerick) - 14/06/2017 09:00:24    1999417

Link

Well lads, what's your expectations for tomorrow's game ?
There doesn't seem to be huge interest in general ?

yelowbelly (Wexford) - 23/06/2017 12:52:10    2003963

Link

Limerick will find it tough to beat Wexford. Performance like Clare the last day will get them beaten. Ian Ryan and Seanie Buckley to be involved from the bench is a massive boost.

WestLimerickBog (Limerick) - 24/06/2017 02:27:41    2004233

Link

Any team named? Even though I'm a fan of not showing your hand anyway early to the opposition, when I'm well overseas, I like to see what 15 we're putting out, a bit in advance. Lads on the ground around the county know the starting line-up!

shoulderghost (Limerick) - 24/06/2017 14:45:04    2004307

Link

Very disappointing today. Fair enough, if you're beaten by the better team then you can hold the hand up. We were genuinely capable of winning this one today, too many turnovers at crucial times and an abundance of kickable frees missed however mean we have to wait until 2018.

Josh Ryan, absolutely immense. What a find and hopefully a mainstay of this team for the next 10-15 years. There has to be at least 1-2 more lads like him around that want to play football. He brought a real energy today that has been lacking for a while.

Goals for next year have to be to try to get out of Division 4, and if we can get the young lads back for next year to try and build a cohesive unit with a reasonable amount of depth.

bob_dolphin (Limerick) - 24/06/2017 17:24:49    2004348

Link

Replying To bob_dolphin:  "Very disappointing today. Fair enough, if you're beaten by the better team then you can hold the hand up. We were genuinely capable of winning this one today, too many turnovers at crucial times and an abundance of kickable frees missed however mean we have to wait until 2018.

Josh Ryan, absolutely immense. What a find and hopefully a mainstay of this team for the next 10-15 years. There has to be at least 1-2 more lads like him around that want to play football. He brought a real energy today that has been lacking for a while.

Goals for next year have to be to try to get out of Division 4, and if we can get the young lads back for next year to try and build a cohesive unit with a reasonable amount of depth."
Your spot on,couldn't agree more

cityman73 (Limerick) - 24/06/2017 19:44:55    2004412

Link

Replying To cityman73:  "Your spot on,couldn't agree more"
Agree 100%, all the team needs is maybe 4/5 decent lads there to boost the squad. Needed someone to step up and hit scores when legs were tiring. Stephen Cahill would be number one candidate to come back in as I think he will prob have had his fill with the hurlers, John Riordan is another lad I'd like to see back as he'd be 28/29 now and in his prime.

gorby580 (Limerick) - 26/06/2017 09:42:55    2005420

Link

I couldn't go to the match on Saturday because of work commitments. I listen to it on the radio when I could. Limerick must've kicked over 10 wides and to lose by one point is very poor. Why did ian corbett take the penalty when you have natural finishers on the field like Ger Collins, Seamus OCarroll and Danny Neville, i dont mean to have a cut at corbett who i think is a good footballer but either 3 would have better able to take it.

Now a overhaul of the panel is needed Garrett Noonan, Sean Mcsweeney, Peter Nash and James Naughton are not up to county football. I can see Johnny McCarthy,Sean Buckley and Ian Ryan retiring and they all will be a lost.

Billy Lee needs to a have a meeting in winter for next year have 35 or 40 lads come to at least hear him out about his plans for the team. The players I hope come back for next year, Cillian Fahy, Stephen Cahill(wasting his time with the hurlers), Shane Cusack, Cian Sheehan, Killian Ryan, Kevin Moore, Jim Liston, Michael Donovan, Tommy and Robert Childs have all shown promise at u21 the last few seasons and they are a few more around the county that could come in too.

Under age structures have to reviewed too after the performances of the u17 and minor too this year.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - 26/06/2017 19:20:32    2005968

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "I couldn't go to the match on Saturday because of work commitments. I listen to it on the radio when I could. Limerick must've kicked over 10 wides and to lose by one point is very poor. Why did ian corbett take the penalty when you have natural finishers on the field like Ger Collins, Seamus OCarroll and Danny Neville, i dont mean to have a cut at corbett who i think is a good footballer but either 3 would have better able to take it.

Now a overhaul of the panel is needed Garrett Noonan, Sean Mcsweeney, Peter Nash and James Naughton are not up to county football. I can see Johnny McCarthy,Sean Buckley and Ian Ryan retiring and they all will be a lost.

Billy Lee needs to a have a meeting in winter for next year have 35 or 40 lads come to at least hear him out about his plans for the team. The players I hope come back for next year, Cillian Fahy, Stephen Cahill(wasting his time with the hurlers), Shane Cusack, Cian Sheehan, Killian Ryan, Kevin Moore, Jim Liston, Michael Donovan, Tommy and Robert Childs have all shown promise at u21 the last few seasons and they are a few more around the county that could come in too.

Under age structures have to reviewed too after the performances of the u17 and minor too this year."
In fairness fo Iain Corbett he has been the penalty taker for some time and has alwats delivered. The team badly needs a consistent free taker. No one was willing to kick the score to level the game at the end.

Just on the players you mentioned you'd like to see on the panel
Fahy, Sheehan, Ryan -All opted out for J1's
Cusack - torn ACL, might take time to recover
Donovan - repeatedly turned down requests to join panel
Moore - not currently living in Ireland
Liston and T.Childs - Both got injured after been called onto panel, should be there next yr
Cahill - Shouls return. Can't be blamed for giving the hurling a go.

The team is badly lacking at midfield and in the forwards. A potential back 6 of O'Dea, Fanning, Johnny Mac, White, Cahill and Corbett would be decent next year. Another midfielder to go with Treacey. There is a potentially good team there. There does not seem to be any high class scoring forwards in Limerick currently

WestLimerickBog (Limerick) - 27/06/2017 01:30:27    2006122

Link

Replying To WestLimerickBog:  "In fairness fo Iain Corbett he has been the penalty taker for some time and has alwats delivered. The team badly needs a consistent free taker. No one was willing to kick the score to level the game at the end.

Just on the players you mentioned you'd like to see on the panel
Fahy, Sheehan, Ryan -All opted out for J1's
Cusack - torn ACL, might take time to recover
Donovan - repeatedly turned down requests to join panel
Moore - not currently living in Ireland
Liston and T.Childs - Both got injured after been called onto panel, should be there next yr
Cahill - Shouls return. Can't be blamed for giving the hurling a go.

The team is badly lacking at midfield and in the forwards. A potential back 6 of O'Dea, Fanning, Johnny Mac, White, Cahill and Corbett would be decent next year. Another midfielder to go with Treacey. There is a potentially good team there. There does not seem to be any high class scoring forwards in Limerick currently"
2 other young lads i forgot to mention are Hugh Bourke good forward capable of kicking frees and chips in with 1 or 2 from play and Sean Flanagan i dont why he wasnt on the panel this year he looked a very good corner back last year for the seniors and he impressed against Kerry last year in the u21s too. I know lads opted out this year but the guys I mentioned, I think we have to get back to improve the team and panel. 2 young lads from Newcastlewest i saw at minor recent seasons back Sean Ivess and Diarmuid Kelly looked like they had big futures ahead of themselves but are they even playing with Newcastlewest now.

Forwards and midfield i agree needs big improvement I even thought that Billy Lee might recall Stephen Kelly into the panel to improve forward options this year he is still 1 of the best forwards in club football, I think we can forget about Eoghan and Derry OConnor and Eoin Hanrahan at this stage 3 major losses to Limerick football. Tommy Childs and Josh Ryan looked a good midfield pair against Tipp in the U21 this year, Darragh Tracey and David Ward are decent footballers but they need to be doing more especially when it comes to winning high ball. If i was Billy Lee I would leave the door open for Gearoid Hegarty and William O'Donaghue to return to the panel,they are alot of good young lads to come into the hurling panel next year and who knows what will happen there.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - 27/06/2017 22:01:39    2006565

Link

Any report on the football challenge game the weekend vs Tipp? What kind of team lined out? Well beaten.

EastStar (Limerick) - 18/12/2017 11:17:34    2065498

Link

Replying To EastStar:  "Any report on the football challenge game the weekend vs Tipp? What kind of team lined out? Well beaten."
Limerick Footballers are in serious trouble from the sounds of it. Big players not playing and can you blame them, given up so much to play two possibly three championship games. The team that I heard lined out the weekend is not good enough and has not got Limericks best players or anywhere near it. The result showed this.

Da_flyin_winger (Limerick) - 18/12/2017 12:01:54    2065505

Link

Da_flyin_winger do you know what kind of team Limerick put out? Yes it seems the appetite to play football for Limerick is not there. It is a pity as the under 21s have improved the last few years. Is club football progressively getting worse?

EastStar (Limerick) - 19/12/2017 16:07:25    2065612

Link

There are still a lot of Clubs & Players putting a big effort into Football in Limerick but the game has developed over the past ten years into a negative , boring sport. Dublin & Mayo, Kerry may with huge pools of players be able to make this new game watchable at their level but elsewhere including Limerick ordinary punters have given up.
Attended a few senior games this year and the crowds which were normally small largely consisted of players from other teams watching their peers. Players seem to still be interested in playing club football but the general fall off in excited spectators and general interest seeps into the mind-set of all resulting in players not interested in playing for their county . Football doesn't help itself locally with the fare on offer and for the vast majority of sports fans Rugby, Soccer & Hurling are a far more exciting product for Mr Average sports fan to watch.
One simple rule that should be brought in immediately is passing the ball backwards be banned. Its one thing watching Dublin do it but average club teams in Limerick at It is torture to watch.

OpenStand (Limerick) - 20/12/2017 09:51:34    2065657

Link

Any idea of what the panel is like for this year?

Any new faces/any leavers?

cornerback11 (Limerick) - 17/01/2018 16:14:45    2068918

Link