Cavan Forum

Cavan Under 20 Club Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Jampot:  "U20 football is not considered "Adult" football in the rule book. There is no doubt he was insured. The guy you refer to had to play the previous week because of an injury to another player. No objection was made there even though the opposition lost by 2 points. He was only on for afew minutes in both games but he wasn't the difference between the teams by any stretch of the imagination. The point I'm making is that this rule restricts the size of your panel - full stop. You refer to "strong" 16 year olds. The rule doesn't allow for them and it should be amended. Next year will be no different for these clubs, maybe just running an amalgamated competition is what they should do, because this is not working.

It's creating division within this county and many others. Some people thrive on this type of controversy. The rules should be there to support and encourage our players to play for their teams.

As far as I'm concerned, it's another rule that was mooted originally in Croke park or Dublin (maybe to do with Insurance), and is another example of the erosion of rural Ireland. Dublin county board will be rubbing their hands with glee !

Everyone knows there is a major major problem retaining these guys between 16 and 20. The rules have changed as discussed above, and they changed the age groups to u17s and u20s. Has anything improved ? Nothing, I would say it's 25 % to 50 % worse.

2pts deduction is far too severe for playing a 16 year old as a sub. No thought given to how those other lads feel. It's fairly clear what we're dealing with.

The Co Board need to feed back to Dublin and get changes made because it will be another 50 years before we win anything again."
From what I heard, the U16 player for Cavan Gaels has made a telling contribution in this competition so far and has a big future ahead of him.

He didn't score but managed to win 2 dirty breaks in the last 5 minutes of both games to edge the Gaels over the line.

Remarkable bravery for a 16 year old against 19/20 yr olds, particularly when you consider that it's likely that he knows he is not even insured.

PatTheDandy (Cavan) - Posts: 184 - 03/12/2019 11:36:59    2252903

Link

Replying To PatTheDandy:  "From what I heard, the U16 player for Cavan Gaels has made a telling contribution in this competition so far and has a big future ahead of him.

He didn't score but managed to win 2 dirty breaks in the last 5 minutes of both games to edge the Gaels over the line.

Remarkable bravery for a 16 year old against 19/20 yr olds, particularly when you consider that it's likely that he knows he is not even insured."
That depends on who you talk to ! When he came on vs Assan, the Gaels were 8 or 9 points up; Assan's best forward had just received a black card. The game was hardly in the melting pot. If you really think he got them over the line, and you weren't at the game, you must have been talking to some storyteller or maybe just stoking it ! He made a contribution and didn't look out of place, the same in the previous game. Not a bad player at all !

Jampot (Cavan) - Posts: 73 - 03/12/2019 14:06:25    2252935

Link

Replying To Jampot:  "It's fairly obvious that the new rules on eligibility are not working at U20 grade - where they worked just fine beforehand for teams wishing to field on a one club basis. Clubs up and down the country are giving out. Why, because they cannot run an u20 squad in these competitions without the help of afew 16 year olds.

Amalgamations are not always a good idea for clubs that traditionally stand on their own two feet. This rule, without doubt, encourages amalgamations. It's fine if it is totally necessary but now this rule will force teams that traditionally stood alone to think about amalgamating. When you end up with an amalgamated squad composed of between 35 and 40 players, I believe it has a negative effect on retention rates and can create division within clubs; I have no doubt based on some recent experience. I would be very interested to see some stats on retention rates, and they should be easily available from each club. Good project for someone ! Some teams have definitely amalgamated to win only at the expense of potentially very good footballers giving up.

I think that the Co. Board need to be very careful with how they are handling this rule, the effect it is having on young club players, and ultimately the pool of players they want to draw from for the county. Have they any idea the effect of their decisions. Do they have any STATS good or bad to back up their decisions ? Do they know the reasons why lads are giving up ? Have they ever surveyed these guys to ask them what they think about certain rules etc ? In my opinion, this rule will not effect teams in Dublin or built up areas as much as teams down the country. All these guys want to do is play.

It's quite farcical, and maybe there will be further objections levelled against other non-amalgamated teams. Wow, now that the precedent has been set, Assan Gaels might accumulate enough points to get to the semi, or if all goes really well, just present the cup to the Lavey official for following the process !

Player welfare again is at the butt end of every decision where it should be at the forefront !"
The rules came from croke park. Individual clubs cannot just decide to ignore them. If certain clubs harvested the resources they had properly they would not need to field illegal players.

fredflint (Cavan) - Posts: 1248 - 03/12/2019 18:08:36    2252993

Link

Replying To fredflint:  "The rules came from croke park. Individual clubs cannot just decide to ignore them. If certain clubs harvested the resources they had properly they would not need to field illegal players."
If certain clubs did the same, they wouldn't have to amalgamate ! There's not much support for the individual club at this level. Half the squads in Division 1 and 2 are amalgamations. It's no secret that almost all the standalone clubs have had trouble fielding squads as other posters have mentioned above and this rule is at the root of it.

Quod est Demonstradum !

Jampot (Cavan) - Posts: 73 - 03/12/2019 22:38:59    2253073

Link

A few very valid points by jampot . The u20 championship is all about player retention. Ideally it would be amazing if every club could stand on their own but I know this is impossible. I have no issue with amalgamations when required. The competition was run on a league basis .again credit where it is due.very good idea as players are getting football . The problem I have is now 1 club is kicked out of the competition and I was previously told there were more going the same way.however this is not the case because lavey only reported the gaels so although county board are aware of other clubs that have done the same they will not act. I'm delighted the other players can now finish the competition without fear of getting kicked out but lavey should be ashamed.a non football decision from a backward thinking club .im told kilinkere hadn't anything to do with this so I will hold judgement on them.eyeball

eyeball (Cavan) - Posts: 85 - 04/12/2019 00:00:26    2253089

Link

Replying To Jampot:  "If certain clubs did the same, they wouldn't have to amalgamate ! There's not much support for the individual club at this level. Half the squads in Division 1 and 2 are amalgamations. It's no secret that almost all the standalone clubs have had trouble fielding squads as other posters have mentioned above and this rule is at the root of it.

Quod est Demonstradum !"
I agree, certain clubs should do the same and stop amalgamating. They need to do more work with what is available to them, amalgamation is the easy way out.

fredflint (Cavan) - Posts: 1248 - 04/12/2019 11:30:35    2253138

Link