Westmeath Forum

Leinster Senior Football Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I agree we should be hosting the game in Mullingar.. is the gaa about it's own community or just about money.. hard to know these days. I've seen Kilkenny, Galway, Waterford hurlers etc in Cusack Park in recent times.. Kerry footballers too (that one still hurts as one that got away).. Dubs should be no different. A sell out would be great for the town and Westmeath gaa in general. There is no doubt the Dublin players and fans would have no issue with Cusack Park.. and I'm living in Dublin now last 25 years and involved in Gaa club here too so think I have a good idea on that score. Anybody else here make it to that cracker in 1984.. 7 points to 5.. Westmeath beat the All-Ireland champs in the Centenary Cup.. that was a smashing evening.. dismal crowd for it actually.. I'll bet Mick C was there! Tell us about it Mick.. I was a bit young at the time. Seriously though.. yes Cusack needs some work in an ideal world but it's out game to host and it should be held in Mullingar.. simple as in my eyes.

d7h (Westmeath) - Posts: 28 - 09/10/2019 16:34:15    2242394

Link

willie lowry cleaned out brian mullins a glory day

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1169 - 09/10/2019 19:23:46    2242418

Link

Let common sense prevail and just fix the game in Cusack Park. It will be a great boost for locality, business, and youngsters having an opportunity in seeing their heroes.

I agree that the facilities have been in need of attention for some time. Hosting the game in Mullingar might throw a spotlight on this. I'd imagine proceeds of the gate receipts could be put towards some refurbishment work..... You'd never it might get something done for a change!

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 69 - 09/10/2019 21:05:25    2242443

Link

I would love to see the game in Cusack Pk but I fear that the Health and Safety visitors, pre match, would reduce the capacity significantly below the 11k. Cusack pk is a poor venue compared to many and I understand those concerns. The Dubs would have no problem, I imagine, coming to town. Unfortunate situation for all concerned. Was there not a big upgrade planned?

TToatler (Dublin) - Posts: 10 - 10/10/2019 13:56:10    2242566

Link

Replying To TToatler:  "I would love to see the game in Cusack Pk but I fear that the Health and Safety visitors, pre match, would reduce the capacity significantly below the 11k. Cusack pk is a poor venue compared to many and I understand those concerns. The Dubs would have no problem, I imagine, coming to town. Unfortunate situation for all concerned. Was there not a big upgrade planned?"
I would have assumed that Health and Safety would need to visit the ground annually to determine the max capacity so if that was the case I wouldn't see how it would move below 11k which is the current limit. Cusack Park is in poor nick compared to most other grounds and it absolutely needs doing up but it should be fine for this game. The Dubs, any I have spoken to this week, have no problem in travelling to either Mullingar or Tullamore. It would be a massive lost opportunity for Westmeath if this game goes to Tullamore

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 293 - 10/10/2019 14:57:10    2242580

Link

Can't see any reason why this game should not be played in Cusack Park. This thing about only certain venues being allowed host the Dubs is BS!! If 8 or 10 thousand people turn up for the county final on Sunday or if we draw a Mayo, Kildare, Donegal or county with a large fan base at home in the qualifiers it will be played in Mullingar so why not the Dubs? Are Dublin fans more important than any other county's fans or what??
And this line from Dublin supporters about how they'd love an away day or a trip down the country is not true either. Who do they think they're fooling?! Only 14,000 turned up for a DOUBLE HEADER involving the Dubs in Portlaoise this year!! Cusack Park is well capable of hosting Westmeath v Dublin in 2020.

TheLineKing (Westmeath) - Posts: 11 - 10/10/2019 17:07:04    2242615

Link

Think the issue is that GAA season ticket holders are entitled to a stand ticket or seat based on buying this annual ticket. Presumably Dublin would have at least 6-7,000 season ticket holders and obviously they can't be accommodated in CP. Tullamore's stand can accommodate them.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 115 - 10/10/2019 17:34:47    2242620

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Think the issue is that GAA season ticket holders are entitled to a stand ticket or seat based on buying this annual ticket. Presumably Dublin would have at least 6-7,000 season ticket holders and obviously they can't be accommodated in CP. Tullamore's stand can accommodate them."
That has been mentioned alright. If that is the case then we have moved into new territory where no small ground can ever host the bigger counties and also where bigger counties can dictate where they play. I imagine season ticket sales will just get bigger and bigger in the stronger GAA counties so this will keep happening (if Dublin had 12k season tickets would this mean Tullamore is also out of bounds for example). As an organisation we are supposed to have some sort of parity when it comes to the very basics of fair play. No other sporting organisation would facilitate this

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 293 - 10/10/2019 18:21:26    2242626

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Think the issue is that GAA season ticket holders are entitled to a stand ticket or seat based on buying this annual ticket. Presumably Dublin would have at least 6-7,000 season ticket holders and obviously they can't be accommodated in CP. Tullamore's stand can accommodate them."
They aren't anymore. For Omagh season ticket holders were told via email that there was no entry to the seated area with season tickets.

TToatler (Dublin) - Posts: 10 - 10/10/2019 19:15:13    2242642

Link

I think there is a limit of 5000 season ticket holders per county. According to GAA website, season ticket holder seating "will depend of stadium capacity and the number of season ticket holders involved in a given fixture. You will be entitled to access to the stand for your county's matches wherever possible. If there is no reserved seating, seats will be available in the stand on a first come, first served basis." To me there's nothing there to rule out Cusack Park as a venue. If Westmeath fans bought even 2000 season tickets would this mean Cusack Park can't be used for any game?? I doubt it!! I believe covered stand in Cusack Park holds 800 people. Westmeath have had to travel to Drogheda for championship games fairly recently, is Drogheda a venue of a standard capable of holding championship games??? Well that's very debatable!! But a blind eye turned and not a word about it just because one of the "big" teams not involved!!..If we have to put up with the likes of Drogheda, Dublin should be made put up with Mullingar!!

TheLineKing (Westmeath) - Posts: 11 - 10/10/2019 20:17:16    2242660

Link

Fair play lads, good information there

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 293 - 10/10/2019 21:15:27    2242678

Link

I think the Dubs have more than 5,000 but I am open to correction. Nothing would be better than the Dubs in town and even though Cusack Pk is a poor offering really a small sum of money would raise the bar a bit, it's not any worse or better than Drogheda, Longford, Newbridge and a few more spots. County Board need to do more.

TToatler (Dublin) - Posts: 10 - 10/10/2019 23:05:26    2242706

Link

The GAA change the parameters of what is acceptable to suit themselves. A few years ago they moved Laois v Dublin to Nowlan Park as the said Portlaoise wasn't big enough to accommodate the travelling Dublin fans. Then they fixed Carlow v Dublin and Wicklow v Dublin for Portlaoise as Dr Cullen Park and Aughrim were deemed too small. I struggle to understand how Portlaoise could be considered too small one year but fine in each of the following two years.

I really think Westmeath should take a stand on this. They'd likely receive huge backing from the public too, much like Kildare did last year.

anon (None) - Posts: 323 - 11/10/2019 11:04:44    2242761

Link

Cusack Park is as nice a ground as Parnell Park.
No reason why it shouldn't be used.

CB need to make a stand and threaten to withdraw from Leinster championship

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1684 - 12/10/2019 20:37:20    2243041

Link

So the game is down for Tullamore for sure. Some serious haggling must have been at play to give us the glory of hosting Longford and Louth as a compromise. The GAA should be aiming to be better than this, decisions are just made on money and/or ego and fail to take into account the massive benefits that would have come through having Dublin come to Mullingar. I am sure a lot of people will go to Tullamore but it's not for me. Hopefully Westmeath GAA make some sort of a statement on this and call it out for what it is but I have no faith in their abilities on this front

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 293 - 29/11/2019 14:50:01    2252112

Link